Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > no questions asked      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DameWrite
Msg: 3
view profile
History
no questions askedPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I wouldn't assume anything but I'd know that this isn't the type of fellow I'd be interested in dating. I don't like pursuing. It's got to be 50/50.
 Yankee again
Msg: 4
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 12:53:27 PM
NO questions back makes for no conversation.... move on....
 c_deacon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 1:05:02 PM
If all I get are one or two word emails, I respond with a thank you but no thank you.

If one can not take the time to read my profile and tell me why they are emailing me, along with asking a question or making a statement about my profile or my forum postings, I can not take the time to respond with more than a thank you, but not interested.

cd.........
 Moonchild51
Msg: 8
view profile
History
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 1:14:37 PM
Received an email today....all it said was "hey".

If I am not worth more than that, the sender has the option of peeing up a tree far as I am concerned...now how snotty did that sound?
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 12
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 1:31:11 PM
I think it takes a few messages to accurately gauge interest level.
No use making snap judgements on only one.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 17
view profile
History
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 4:22:59 PM
if you're the initiator and the replies aren't interesting, then yes, you're learning what you need to know about that person.

but if you're the recipient of the initial message, know that many people operate on the theory that the content of the profile is far more important that the content of the message, since many message recipients will go straight to the profile before they even read the message. and if the profile is appealing, they may reply without reading the message at all.

to those message senders, a barely-there opening email is just a way of saying, 'please look at my profile.'

FloridaLady46
Msg: 19
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 5:57:24 PM

I'd like to make a "rule" if I may.

If you aren't interested,say so politely.Don't just ignore the person who finds you appealing.It's rude.If you are interested in communicating,make it clear and known.

Basic, but for some reason,not a given here.I always responded to anyone who contacted me out of a sense of decency,even if it was Thanks,but no thanks....good luck!

hearton64 - I used to do this, thinking it was the polite thing to do, but lately when I do this I get nasty responses, so I just stopped responding if I wasn't interested. This is what most of the guys do also if they are not interested in me, so I guess this is the way it is on POF.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 20
view profile
History
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 6:30:12 PM

if I get a response "thank you" "your right" or something to the effect that makes no attempt and continuing I drop it, to do otherwise seems to slap courtesy in the face

Bingo!!!! This man has it totally spot on! I am amazed at the number of folks who can't pick up on a reply such as this. It is being polite, yet not inviting any further messaging. I am with the other gal (forgive me can't remember your name) in that responding with a polite decline invites nothing but rude messages back in return....who needs that?
 Walts
Msg: 21
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 6:30:37 PM

When I initiate first contact with someone with a hello, short comment and a question, the person will reply with a short answer to my question but nothing else.

What "else" would ya like to hear/read????? Another "short comment and a question" just like YOU did initially????? Ever hear ya get what ya give?????

If you haven't, you have now.
 TryAgan
Msg: 23
view profile
History
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 7:40:52 PM

If all I get are one or two word emails, I respond with a thank you but no thank you.
If one can not take the time to read my profile and tell me why they are emailing me, along with asking a question or making a statement about my profile or my forum postings, I can not take the time to respond with more than a thank you, but not interested.

What "else" would ya like to hear/read????? Another "short comment and a question" just like YOU did initially????? Ever hear ya get what ya give?????

If you haven't, you have now.

I agree with these two posts. If I get a short, one line email, I respond in kind, and delete the message.

Plumpassion, if you are initiating a conversation, you'd better come up with something better than Hi or Hello.
You can use the recipient's profile to comment on similar interests or values, ask some questions, or provide more information about yourself.
 mjinict
Msg: 24
view profile
History
no questions asked
Posted: 2/23/2012 8:30:05 PM
The guy I'm dating 7 months now began with a first message from me...'havin any luck?'

I also quit responding with 'no thanks' a long time ago. It just didn't sound very nice. Best and easier just to not respond. Hopefully they have the sense not to write too much in first message.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 26
no questions asked
Posted: 2/25/2012 8:23:43 AM
I've had a guy on here do the same thing, I expected better communication b/c he says he's a business man, but he did the same thing, replied w/a short answer & that's it. He didn't do anything to keep the converaation going, so I ddn't email him back. After a few weeks he emailed again, asking how I'm doing, then the same thing, so I stopped the commuication entirely.
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 29
no questions asked
Posted: 2/26/2012 12:45:24 PM
If someone takes the time to write out a well structure first attempt at contacting me,
and finishes with a question or two directed towards me,I'll take the time to respond back.
And if she really interests me with both her pics AND profile,I'll certainly ask her some questions back,it just shows you've piqued my likey-likey radar!
It's the right courteous thing to do!IMO
Otherwise why are we on here in the first place?

But on the other hand,if you get the stalker type (this one old gal keeps saying she can kick my butt at pool),I'll just pass and sometimes say,"no thanks"...but that doesn't always work.Next stop is the BLOCK button!
 Bazzyg
Msg: 30
no questions asked
Posted: 7/17/2014 9:17:50 PM
I recently had a similar problem.

Got a message from a nice girl (shock!) "Hello, how are you?"

So I replied, "I doing great, thanks!" Then started asking her about her dog, she replied. Then other question about herself, which she also replied with a few "and you's?"

It came to the point where she wasn't asking me one single question about myself, so I asked her why did she write to me and she said that she thought I was cute and nice. I asked her to tell me about herself more and she told me to ask her. ?????

I carried on asking for a bit, but still not one question back. WTF???

I left it for a few days and haven't heard anything from her (wanted to see whether she would take the initiative).
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > no questions asked