Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Is 61 the cut-off age for having any luck on POF?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 1
Is 61 the cut-off age for having any luck on POF?Page 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Cuzz I'm gettin' real close!

It just seems most profiles I ch.,the woman will have an age bracket that tops out at 60.
Plus I tend to like women a little younger than myself,must be the SoCal in me.
I best get hustlin', times a runnin' out!!!
 Fifi47
Msg: 2
Is 61 the cut-off age for having any luck on POF?
Posted: 2/25/2012 11:52:44 PM
I prefer men 65 or younger. Seems as if 45 is the cut off age for women.
 vnufall
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/26/2012 12:00:45 AM
i guess the next step is the old folks home, the baby boomer crowd is headed there anyway....lol. maybe they'll call it a commune. i don't know i have lots of men in their 70's looking at my profile....
 Molly Maude
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 12:06:59 AM
no ... the cut-off age is any age 5 years younger than you are at the time ... there WAS a thread, I THOUGHT in the California forum (but I can't find it now so maybe they deleted it!) ... about a woman 93 lookin' for a man!
 SmileyWoman1961
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 12:51:35 AM

no ... the cut-off age is any age 5 years younger than you are at the time ... there WAS a thread, I THOUGHT in the California forum (but I can't find it now so maybe they deleted it!) ... about a woman 93 lookin' for a man!

Oh, if true, how wonderful! Not only still interested and looking but doing it online. WTG!
 laskoboo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 1:00:07 AM
Hmmmm. Several years ago,
I recall my grandmother asking me to look on the dating site for a man for her.
ok so I did and I was shocked and horrified at what I found.

There were no men in her age group !!!.. I told her and she said most men died by the age of 75, so I should look for a man 50 to 60 for her

wow to all of that. I jokingly told her about some 50 year old man and she wanted to use my profile to tell him hi... she told him she was on her granddaughters page and could send him a picture and started carrying on with him.
He was sweet and polite to her and chatted and I had to leave the room because I started to fear she would next ask me to take her to meet him and it was all getting real creepy.
Not sure what the cut off ages are or how that goes but it perked her up and made her think about dating in a serious way, in which a day later she declined any further interest in it.
Thank God for that.
What a nice man that was to email her some, he was so kind and sweet to her
( I watched close to make sure she wouldn't get naked pics or something)

cut off age far as I can tell is : death
 lacalli
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/26/2012 1:34:38 AM
My mom is 76 in SoCal and she still has men trying to ask her out. If you're having trouble getting with younger women then consider women your own age.
 laskoboo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 1:58:34 AM
I think it might be harder to meet stable good women in your age group anyway ... far as I can tell lots of these women who are widows ( the ones who are financially secure) in no way want to have another man in their lives again
( with the exception of a good lawn man and handy man- what I mean is no lovers/ romantic interests)
As I have been told: once a woman has had a good husband and happy marriage, she is less likely to date again or get involved with a man. It's only the women who have had bad men and husbands who keep trying.
 TryAgan
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 2:16:33 AM

As I have been told: once a woman has had a good husband and happy marriage, she is less likely to date again or get involved with a man.

That's interesting. One would think that once you try a good thing, you'd want it again.
 ro1970
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/26/2012 5:15:34 AM
well......I am beginning to think age 35 is the cut off for dating........I have been on my own since then - will be 42 this year - and am not any closer to finding anyone than the day I was set free from my very long term relationship.

Believe me, I have tried out here and have failed miserably.....nevermind the fact I would like to think I am a quality person - educated, professionally employed, hard working, not a cheater, drama free, have much to offer, etc.

I have put my best face forward out here only to have it slapped, and I have turned the other cheek so many times out here it's pretty much raw.

So as a result of all of those experiences, I have decided to walk totally away from the dating pond, packed up my tent and called it a day. I will now be on my own from here on out as there is nobody out here for me and I know it. It's just plain over for me and I have finally accepted that fact.

I pretty much only hang out on the forums and just talk to the folks I am friends with on here and nothing more.

DrummingNut
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:02:54 AM
I'll never have 'luck' on PoF. Don't even care.
Only the dredges of society contact me on here for dates because they can't find anyone so they think "the overweight wheel chair lady will say yes".
Um, NO.

As for me being 60.. out in the world.. no one knows your age!!!!!

The OP is hoping for younger women.. so yeah, 61 probably turns them off, lol.
To a younger person, 61 sounds old.
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:23:59 AM
Let me clarify "younger",I'd say in the mid to late 50's AARP range.
I don't think that's being too unrealistic,'cause I can be a handful to keep up with sometimes!
An ex-g/f said I had one of those AADD afflictions or something like that.
Now what were we talking about?
 ohenryx
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:45:58 AM
I feel you on this one. I turned 61 late last year, and had exactly the same thoughts going through my head. I look at a lot of profiles, and I seemed to be constantly seeing a cutoff age of 60. Everytime I saw one of those, I would think to myself, "Here's another one that I won't be able to contact."

Now that I have been 61 for the last 3 months, it hasn't had that much of an impact on my dating pool. Previously, I was approaching (sending initial emails) to women from 50 to 70 years old. The average age has probably crept up a bit (due to more women 50-55 excluding me), but not by much.

The last actual date I went on (not a meet-n-greet, a real date) was with a 49 year old woman. And she contacted me, go figure.

On the other hand, I had an initial email last week from a woman who is 71. And if she looks as good as her pictures, I will date her. The game continues....
 ro1970
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:51:38 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and what a losing game it is......................
 Paderic
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:08:38 AM
To answer your question, there is no "cutoff" age. However, with each passing year you will find fewer and fewer prospects. That shouldn't surprise you, just take a gander at the obits.

I'm beginning to think it's an exercise in futility for anyone over 40, but optimism prevails...
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:24:06 AM
I'm 53, and I get a lot of men over 60 contacting me.
Some are even 75.

I find that to be too old ... for me anyway.

Most of the men just don't attract me.
And to be honest ... I don't want to end up being someones nursemaid.
A single life holds more appeal to me then that.
As I have taken care of kids, and husbands, and now I enjoy only taking care of me.

Maybe it is mental cutoff age ... I'm not sure.
But I know I am hesitant when I have someone over 60 contact me.

Now I looked at your profile, and you have a very nice one.
You look young, and still active.
Keep on plugging.
There must be someone out there who will notice you.

And good for you for listing your proper age
I understand many individuals lie about it.
 TryAgan
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 8:12:33 AM

I am beginning to think age 35 is the cut off for dating........I have been on my own since then - will be 42 this year - and am not any closer to finding anyone than the day I was set free from my very long term relationship.

I have put my best face forward out here only to have it slapped, and I have turned the other cheek so many times out here it's pretty much raw.

Ro, at your age, you are just a spring chicken. There is still full life in front of you. This pond is huge. And there is even more fish outside of it. You can't get discouraged by some jerks and few bad experiences. It's a number's game, just keep trying.

Looking for a great partner is even harder than finding a good job. The opportunities are there, the right one for you is also there, the tough part is only to find him. There are no guarantees in finding a partner. The only sure thing is that when you give up, the opportunities stop, too. On the other hand, you might meet unexpectedly someone in your local supermarket or at the airport. Once I met a great woman at the Amsterdam airport, turned out she lived in the same city. Lasted only a year, but memories linger till now.

It is also true (as Paderic says):

there is no "cutoff" age. However, with each passing year you will find fewer and fewer prospects.

I met some amazing women in my fifties, even got married to one.
The pool is shrinking every year, but there are still thousands of prospects. Unfortunately, many are too far for me.
Some people don't get discouraged by the distance. There is a very nice lady on this forum who met on POF a guy from the other side of the world, and they couldn't be happier. And there are other happy stories.
 ladyc4
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/26/2012 8:51:39 AM
I'd like to speak to a few of the comments here...

far as I can tell lots of these women who are widows ( the ones who are financially secure) in no way want to have another man in their lives again

As I have been told: once a woman has had a good husband and happy marriage, she is less likely to date again or get involved with a man.

DAMMIT! there I go again, breaking some "rule" that I didn't know existed!

Did you ever consider that having had a good man/good marriage might cause a woman to be a bit more selective? That a woman who experienced living in an environment where she was encouraged to be self-confident and self-reliant, doesn't NEED to find a man-ASAP-to take care of her? I don't think that "lots" of widows are disinterested in dating, relationships or being involved with a man. Perhaps their motivation is of a different intensity, and of course there are those that really don't care to enter back into the dating game-but I do not think it's some universal truth.

However, I will add my thought, that perhaps people who have had a marriage fail feel a need to at least date to prove that their current state of singlehood isn't his or her fault. Maybe it's that old perseverance drive to keep trying until you get it right.

I will make the observation that a widow who is financially stable may be more cautious about getting involved with men who can't bring their own financial stability to the relationship.
I'm not talking wealth here-I'm talking about having enough resources to manage your own life but not enough to afford taking care of a human house pet. For the record, widowed men should be paying attention to the same thing...its' a damn shame when an elderly man or woman spends their last years financially strapped because of a wilfully parasitic relationship partner.

Thats' why I am so in favor of prenups, documented cohabitation agreements, or an older couple maintaining socioeconomic autonomy. I am not speaking of a situation where resources are drained because of standing by a partner through catastrophic illness or inforeseen misadventure! I'm not advocating "cut and run" at the first sign of trouble, I'm talking about avoiding situations where trouble seems to have a standing invitation...

That's interesting. One would think that once you try a good thing, you'd want it again.

Precisely. But having had a clear-cut example of a good thing, one tends to reject involvements that are NOT good things.

An ex-g/f said I had one of those AADD afflictions or something like that.
Now what were we talking about?

oh, look-is that a DEER over there?

And to be honest ... I don't want to end up being someones nursemaid.

I don't think that this is an UNcommon perspective, not at all. It's ONE THING to stand by "in sickness and in health" with someone you've been with since the days of your youth,and another to enter into a situation where there is a high likelihood of becoming a caregiver.
Of course, we none of us are guaranteed anything,and if 2 people later in life find that connection that says "troubles be damned-we're in this thing together"-well, may blessings fall on them like a soft rain.
But how many are capable of that much courage and nobility of spirit? That doesn't make these ordinary folks bad people, it simply takes them out of canonization candidacy.
IMO-the cut-off is when they pull the sheet up over your face. But everyone is entitled to make their own choice of when to slow down , quit,or take a break.
Cindy O
 ForumFilly
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/26/2012 9:34:51 AM
With every passing year, you will find that you will be culled out of more and more age search parameters. When I joined POF, I was 56 and I received quite a lot of messages. Every year it's gradually decreased as my age increased. I'm sure a lot of men missed my profile initially since when I joined I was over the dreaded '55' cutoff. Their loss, not mine.

I've known both men and women who write new profiles and decrease their ages so they won't be eliminated due to being 'too old'. Personally, if my age is a detriment to a man, then he isn't the man for me. As it is, I have found a wonderful man and he is 7 years younger than I am. We were introduced by a mutual friend on this site but had he known my age initially, he would not have contacted me... he preferred women younger than himself. By the time he realized that I was 60, it was too late. He was already head over heels in love with with me!! LOL We tease each other about me being his cougar and he being my cub. We also have a long distance relationship at the moment as TryAgan was stating. While I live here in the States, he lives in Australia. He's come here and I've gone there and we've spent months together. He is selling his house and property in Oz, has bought property in the Smoky Mountains and we will be married when he returns here this spring.

I never worried about my age and what men thought of it. If someone is so narrow-minded as to eliminate everyone over a certain age, then they are really cutting back on their chances of meeting someone wonderful. Look at all the gorgeous women who are in their 50's and 60's and even 70's. Wouldn't it be a shame to miss out on the love of your life because of an arbitrary number? What if you cut off your search at 59 and your perfect match is 61 and you never get to meet them? Would those two years really make such a difference? And how many times have we all heard that saying, "I need someone younger so they can keep up with me!" Well, hell's bells! If you can do all those activities then why shouldn't someone of the opposite sex who is also your age? Do you really think you are the only one in good physical shape?? You're not, you know.
 bronzcoco
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/26/2012 10:03:40 AM
On this site, or any site for that matter, I truly do not think that there is a "cut-off" age. Despite the very disappointing experiences that I have had on this site, I still believe that there is someone for everyone. Yes, everyone has a preference, but that doesn't mean that one should give up because they FEEL that they are too old, too overweight, too thin, or too anything. OP, give it some more time, I am sure you will meet someone who is worthy of you.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/26/2012 10:38:24 AM

Despite the very disappointing experiences that I have had on this site, I still believe that there is someone for everyone.

Maybe so, maybe there are a LOT of 'good matches' for people out there,
but dear Lord, not necessarly on PoF!
 TryAgan
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 10:49:00 AM
^^^
You never know where you'll find it. You can't discount any venue. It can be an online dating site, singles dance, hiking trip, even the local matchmaker.
If you couldn't find it on POF, it doesn't mean that the others can't.
 windchymes
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:14:53 AM
Too bad you're so far away, cause your photo of the kitchen reno made me fall in love
 bronzcoco
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:40:57 AM
TryAgan, you've made a good point. I think the main idea is to remain positive. Easier said than done, I know. It is definitely possible to meet the right person in just about any venue. POF is proving to not be the right place for me to meet Mr. Right, but having tried various social groups, I know that there are many single men out there just waiting for their Ms. Right. I think one of the common connectors between women and men is that none of us want to be alone in life. So, the search goes on.
 altotermite
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:48:08 AM
No! I find I'm still a romantic at 63. Who the !@#$%^&* knows when it is.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Is 61 the cut-off age for having any luck on POF?