Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > we have a BRAND NEW body type designation!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 laskoboo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
we have a BRAND NEW body type designation!Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I'd prefer they used height and weight
and also waist size in inches.

That to me with
the height gives me a good idea of body type.

a guy who is 6 foot and 190 pounds with a 40 inch waist is overweight in my eyes.
the 40 inch waist is the dead giveaway.
It would be so much more accurate to do it this way, so much less deception.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 4
we have a BRAND NEW body type designation!
Posted: 2/29/2012 6:50:44 PM
Weight is subjective.

There are different types of bone mass.

I prefer it the way it is.

You know people lie, so just keep your eyes wide open and make your own judgements.

This is a free dating site, not a doctors office.
 laskoboo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2012 7:04:06 PM
Before I met my husband for meet and greet, before we actually met in person we chatted on the phone 2x for about 30 min or so each time. One thing he did was ask me my height and weight and I told him.
Then I asked him his inseam ( A CLUE TO HIS REAL HEIGHT) and waist size of his pants :) ...

I believe this is something reasonable to ask before a meet and greet as to height and weight, waist size in inches. Some do not.

I figure if they are bothered by any of the info, they should save me thr trouble of meeting and do the same in return and aloow me to pass based oin the info.

I met this guy one time who said he was like 6 foot 3 and weighed 220...
he must have had 80 pounds on is belly !!!... no muscles in his entire body
and a belly that was HUGE. His waist appeared to be maybe 50 inches.
I was grossed out.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2012 7:05:32 PM
People can lie just as easily about their height, weight and waist size as they can about their body types. They can also post old or photo shopped pictures.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/29/2012 7:31:26 PM
A current full body shot always clears up any confusion - for men and women. That gets my vote.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/29/2012 7:40:27 PM

" ... we have a new body type designation and it is called "undisclosed body type". ... "

So ... what will the ones who decide to use that designator do so as to not disclose their body type in a person-to-person meeting ... ? Maybe they'll use a stand-in ... ? This is just a 'solution' in search of a problem.
 laskoboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2012 8:02:50 PM
In only a few situations I can see height and weight not being accurate gauge of size.......... esp if you add in waist size....
exceptions
like: a woman whio has had breast reconstruction and tummy tuck... now she would maybe not look like her weight exactly, things rearranged a bit.

someone missing a leg.

someone who has had some type of drastic weight loss ( over 100 pounds) with lots of loose skin.
 Padawan61
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2012 9:22:02 PM
Weight is subjective

bullsitt!
only to women.

men understand pounds, not dress sizes whatever they may be.

"i'm a size 12". sorry i don't speak Zulu. how much do you weigh?

A woman telling you her dress size is 12 means that the dress will fit 12 normal people bunched up together. It's a gentler way of saying she's F-A-T.

As for size 12 being fat, I'm pretty sure the national average in the states is something like 14.. so would size 12 be considered skinny then?

As Tom said ... us guys understand pounds, not dress sizes. So we have to conjecture what 12 (or 14) means.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
 _shakti_
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/29/2012 9:41:03 PM

Weight is subjective

bullsitt!
only to women.

men understand pounds, not dress sizes whatever they may be.

"i'm a size 12". sorry i don't speak Zulu. how much do you weigh?

what could be more subjective than average, a few extra pounds or the others?
Weight without the person's height, muscle mass, bone structure.. doesn't tell you a whole lot.

As for size 12 being fat, I think the national average in the states is something like 14 or 16.. so would size 12 be considered skinny then?

Like honestly.. as others have mentioned.. can you not see their picture?

And yes, it could be an old photo. Just like they could be fibbing on the drop down menu.. so what does it ultimately matter if there is a new choice?

I think if they have a picture up and they choose 'undisclosed' that would be pretty darned ironic, lol...
 coyotefeller
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/1/2012 12:49:48 AM
Where is the "pleasantly plump" body type
for chubby young women??
...and the "delusional old man" for the 50ish
beer gut guy who posts "Athletic"??
Just thought I'd ask. :)
Oh and to answer the above post....
Very few women are Big & Tall/BBW , mostly they
are short and fat.....because 5'2" is not tall !!!
Yeah [...amazonian tall but very heavy...] just seems
very odd to me too. :)
 Rythmn
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2012 1:19:37 AM
i imagine one whose body type is undisclosed might be wearing clothes?
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/1/2012 5:15:21 AM
The body type is a good way for initial filtering but you can't rely on it. FULL BODY SHOT is the only way to go.

And UGG I HATE the BBW/big and tall category too. Why can't we just say FAT?
 _shakti_
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/1/2012 8:28:31 AM
This thread is about the new designation.. my thing is.. so what? What does it change?
 _shakti_
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/1/2012 8:38:00 AM
A mandatory body shot will not prevent deceit, nothing will.

When it comes down to it, we're all taking the risk of being lied to in one way or another when meeting a stranger. Either that risk is worth it to us or it isn't, plain and simple.
 _shakti_
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/1/2012 9:00:20 AM

What if it's a nude shot holding up that day's newspaper date ?
Good luck making that mandatory, lol...
 spot4username
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/1/2012 9:43:19 AM
*shrug* I have used the "prefer not to say" for as long as I can remember because I find it all so subjective. When I was here for dating I always listed my height and weight and told men they could decide my body type for themselves.
 matchlight
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2012 11:08:14 AM
I like me a gal with a little meet on her bones. "Average," you might say. Dress her up in some Wal Mart duds and shell be pretty enough to take any where.
 Fleuron
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/1/2012 11:12:25 AM
Some people are ugly no matter what they look like.

sometimes if a woman isn't sure of me i take a pic with a piece of paper held up with HER NAME ON IT AND THE DATE.

So….she doesn’t trust your pictures and you somehow can’t manage a meet to prove what you look like, so you choose to play a stupid game. I suppose she wouldn’t have heard of PhotoShop….

Why would you bother trying to convince her? Who cares?

Maybe Pof could set it up so that if you try to lie on your profile the system will shock you with electric current…the more you lie, the more volts you get.

Everybody so obsessed about being lied to and disappointed by someone….it’s laughable. When you figure out how to prevent this shyt, you’ll be a gazillionaire.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/1/2012 11:16:09 AM
If someone uses "undisclosed," I will still assume that the person is obese. If he/she has a pic, it is always amusing--as if we can't SEE his/her body type.
 _shakti_
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/1/2012 3:44:51 PM
Personally I like average. I don't feel I fit the 'thin' profile nor do I work out often.. necessitating the athletic choice, so I have gone with average.

Plus, I would way rather someone assume the worst than exaggerate in the other direction. And, the whole looks oriented thing typically annoys me anyway. At one time I had a fat booth pic up, lol..
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/1/2012 3:57:30 PM

we have a new body type designation and it is called "undisclosed body type".

Has the media been notified yet on this breaking story?

presumably this is to replace "prefer not to say".

Brilliant deduction.

is there a difference?

No.

is it semantics?

Yes.

does it change the way you envision that person using it?

No.
 spot4username
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/2/2012 7:16:37 AM
My irony meter just exploded.

Stress body shots strongly suggested. Some gals are clever posers i.e. excesses
concealed. Could someone start a chant, "Body shots, Body shots, Body shots!

Says the man without a body shot. One that is head and shoulders and the other with a dog covering the body. Clever. If I ever decide to post pictures again maybe I will borrow someone's dog. Nah. I always posted my height and weight.
 cooldog65
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2012 5:25:40 PM
I don't get the undisclosed body type term. Unfortunately, it's part of our PC culture.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/23/2012 6:10:57 PM
It is subjective IMO. If I share that I'm 5'7 and weigh 142, a person has no idea of my BMI. If you have good muscle mass and work out, you'll be trim and toned; if not, you've got a bit more fat- so it's (s0mewhat) subjective.

I think I would prefer for adults to simply be mature and to have current photos. If not, what's the point? You'll be meeting them eventually and the cats out of the bag if the photos aren't current and actually depict you as you are.
 chameleonf
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/26/2012 7:45:48 AM
Most computers and cell phones now have built in video cams. For those who just can't wait to find out the burning question until you meet up, use that instead. It'll help with the whole weight thing, the age thing, and any other things that are perceived to be physical deal breakers.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > we have a BRAND NEW body type designation!