Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Romantic gestures.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lalby
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Im just wondering how many of you think the whole big romantic gesture thing works.
You see it in films and things,were people have to be a certain place for a certain time and if both parties are there its meant to be...and people chasing people to the otherside of the world to pour out their feeling.
But do things like this happen in real life?
If you were given the option of a huge gesture would you go for it?
And if you have done the big gesture thing what did you do?
 Julian2807
Msg: 2
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:05:31 AM
Romance isn't in the big things, it is something that should happen in tiny doses and very often. From making your partner a coffee when they are watching their favorite show even when you dont want one, or while shopping picking up their favorite flavour yoghurt or when you are sat having a cuddle just giving them a foot rub or shoulder massage because you can tell they are feeling stressed out.
romance is in the consideration, caring and showing that you think of each other even when you are apart.
 lalby
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:34:45 AM
Cut a long story short (well shortish)
I saw a guy for a while last year,things were very good and we just gelled and clicked and it was like we fitted from day one.
We liked eachother lots that was obvious but we never spoke about it,back end of last year we decided to call it a day because the distance was a big thing for him and he couldn't handle just not being able to call n see me when he wanted and with me working away now n then he said he wouldn't be able to deal with the breaks in not seeing me.
Anyways me being me never discussed how i felt with him and never really spoke about it just went along and said well hey if thats what has to be has to be...we stayed friends and spoke on the phone and such and on wed leap year me being me jokingly txted hey lets get married...he said yeah why not.
Since then came a stale mate as to if we were winding eachother up or not.
Well it seems it has all brought up old feelings and now he is all confused.
Ive had dates since n he dated someone which was all a bit up in the air for a couple of weeks.
Anyways the big gesture was if we both turned up at Manchester picadilly station today at 5pm it was worth speaking and worth another go of it.
I was confused as to if i should go or not and it is now decided not to as if there was issues with distance then how can they not be issues with it now...:-(
So there we have it the big romantic gesture was not to be im going to go out and think about what if and maybe this n maybe that and be cheered up by my friends
 lalby
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:36:44 AM
I love rocky horror there are some scary pics floating about as me as magenta and also frank n furter another year.
 sprite1950
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:59:52 PM

I recall one ex turning up with a red ribbon and a little bell tied round his manhood ....which was kind of romantic I think

I think I would have killed the mood by falling about laughing

The odd romantic gesture is ok but if theyre too frequent they cease to mean anything I find.
 bhawk01
Msg: 6
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 5:07:18 PM
Women like romance in theory but not in practice!
A couple of ocassions that spring to mind was one night i woke my partner up at 3am and dragged her up, told her to get dressed, grabbed a blanket and dragged her out into the fields, i threw the blanket down told her to sit and when she kept asking why i pointed at the sky, i took her out to see a meteor shower, to see dozens of shooting stars.....all i got was a slap!

Another occasion was when i drove my partner to the seaside early one morning to watch the sun rise then i drove her to see the sun set on the other coast. when she found out the car wasnt mine and i had no license she went mental.....totally not seeing what i was trying to show her!

There have been many other occasions of romantic gestures which have gone unappreciated.... i have now almost entirely given up on the whole romance idea.
 lalby
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:15:30 PM
Id have laughed but im a bugger
 MikeWM
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/9/2012 3:45:16 AM
Lets suppose that they do infact work for a moment, what does that mean?

Basically, it means that someone who really wasnt interested in you was pursuaded to change their mind NOT based on getting you know you better, but by you making a large and some would say subservient, desperate gesture

As opposed to just finding someone who would want to be with you JUST as much as you want to be with them.........better surely?
 Strider886
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/9/2012 4:14:42 AM
I don’t really understand romantic gestures particularly. A kind gesture or thought yes. But instead of a bunch of flowers how about just picking up your smelly socks.

Ahhh, like stopping to make sure the seats open before taking a drunken slash? :p
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/10/2012 1:47:30 PM
I was once chatting to a lady called Barbara from New York to whom I made a romatic gesture when I sent her roses and a toy frog wearing a crown on Valentines day. We had been having a very funny ongoing conversation in the chat box on facebook Scrabble about who was smarter, men or women. She was in the top 1% of people for IQ, ran her own editing company and could quote Rilke and the classics at the drop of a hat. She was taking quite a bit of persuading that we men were smarter even after several days let me tell you.

She knew I was a poet called Stephen from near Bristol and I knew only what I said above about her. I searched on-line every editor company in New York and read every website looking for someone called Barbara on it. I eventually found one so now I knew her surname. I sent the Roses and toy from a local supplier in NY with the message on it "Love to Barbara, Now who is smarter?, Kiss Kiss "Billy2heads".

She was blown away to receive them and you could almost see the sparkle in her eyes written into every word of the thank you message she sent me in return. We christened the frog "Froggy Prince" and conversations did indeed turn more and more to Amour Amour afterwards, so such gestures can and do work if you can get the delivery right I have found.

Sadly, as always seems to be the case with these fantasy based internet relationships, it burned brightly for a time then sadly faded away. In one of what were to be her final messages to me she told me she had thrown away the frog into the trash and I penned this poem to her about it....

Goodbye Froggy Prince

Barbra's sad and Barbra's mad, Barbra's got the hump.
She picked up little Froggy Prince and sent him to the dump.
He shed a tear and waved goodbye, afraid of things unseen,
he's living in the city dump instead of with his queen.

His new home smells, it's cold and dark, his only friend's a rat.
He liked it better where he was, 'cept for that mangy cat.
His fur is wet, its cold at night, the seagulls they attack,
but he's a clever little frog, one day he will be back.

So if you see him at your door all ragged and forlorn.
His fur all dirty from the dump, all tattered and all torn.
Give him refuge from this hell, and take him in once more,
and he will love you once again, just like he did before.

So yes, I have in the past, and I still do now, make romantic guestures, sometimes serious, sometimes silly but always fun to do. Women like to fantasize and romatic gestures help them to do it IMO....
 Wafta
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/10/2012 2:13:15 PM
The trouble with big romantic gestures is that they're usually only given in the early stages of a relationship and wear off pretty quickly.

I'd rather know what I was getting involved with from the start, so, if the gestures are just to impress in the beginning, I'd rather go without.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Romantic gestures.