Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Handsome and well groomed but      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rokei57
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Handsome and well groomed butPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Recently I met with a very nice gentleman. From my first impression he was handsome, well groomed, clothes clean and pressed, nice smile etc.
But when we set down to chat his breath was so bad I just wanted to get up and walk away. It was very difficult to stay and finish my coffee.
He expressed an interest in getting together again, but I'm not sure how to handle this.
I would feel really bad just telling him why I would choose not to go out, but other than this he was really a nice guy.
How would you handle this?
 deere rancher
Msg: 2
Handsome and well groomed but
Posted: 3/11/2012 5:17:41 PM
I would accept his invitation to go out again ..and see if the same problem exsists

If it does ....ask him , if he had sheep dung for lunch !
 ThatGirl092
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/11/2012 5:18:38 PM
If everything seemed nice, but his breath, I suggest you go out with him one more time to see if this was a fluke, or if bad breath is a normal thing for him. Maybe he hadn't eaten all day. That causes bad breath.
Bad breath is definitely a major turn off, so i can understand your feelings.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 5:18:40 PM
Anything wrong in flat out telling him his breath peels paint, and until he fixes that..no second date?
 NolitaFairytale
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/11/2012 5:21:26 PM
Offer him some gum or a mint? jk. I wouldn't go out with him again, honestly, because bad breath is so gross and if someone doesn't know to pay attention to their breath before a date, they'll probably often have bad breath when in a relationship with you. I always chew a piece of gum or have a mint before a date, even if I don't think anything physical is going to happen.
 kaymacca
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/11/2012 5:27:33 PM
If you are attracted to him and he is really a nice guy I would give him another chance, bad breath is fixable. If you are not interested in another date it would be a kindness to let him know why.
 SexyKG74
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 5:31:52 PM
OP, if I was in your situation, I would pass on a 2nd meet. Come on, who DOESN'T think to brush their teeth and/or gargle with mouthwash before a date? Even if I'm at work and don't have time to go home to freshen up, I usually keep a travel size toothbrush/toothpaste and mouthwash in my desk drawer...

I can't date a man who has a funky whisper!
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/11/2012 5:54:08 PM
Maybe it is something he ate
One time when I worked downtown Denver..a coworker and I went to eat at this Indian restaurant..my first time eating Indian food..Well I kept smelling this unpleasant smell after we ate the meal..so we get back to work and Im like omg what is that smell..I roll my chair back and the smell followed me..I was like OMG its me..so I had to run down to walgreens and get me some febreeze and spray myself...
 OneGodfather
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:01:06 PM
Well If you cannot handle his bad breath, just tell him it was nice meeting you but you dont feel you can offer more than friendship and wish him the best of luck, He's a big boy hes been through it before and he probably knows why women are rejecting him.

If he continues to press you and politely say goodbye and hang up , also there a big difference between bad breath and halitosis , bad breath can happen, halitosis is a serious problem.
 Maleman999
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:08:32 PM
^^^Pretty much what OneGodfather said, but I would be inclined mention that his breath is a deal breaker. Wouldn't you want to know why he had bad breath if the rest of him was prim and proper? Maybe he wasn't aware for some reason. I would be curious.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:08:42 PM
Yes OP it is possible this is not his normal breath or body odor. You could try again and see what kind of aroma shows up. Maybe try meeting somewhere outdoor and sit upwind of him just in case he smells really bad next time.

For me I must like the way a woman smells - if I find she smells bad it is very hard for me to get interested in meeting her again unless everything else was clicking and I wanted to give it another try.
 scifichicky
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:13:02 PM
It is just breath, if you like him go out again and have a mint and offer him one. If he declines then pointedly say "Hey, are you suuuuure you don't want one?
 gentleplus
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:42:57 PM
I have seen this before in 2 of my male friends.... the cause is usually a serious tooth abscess in the root area.... he needs to get some serious dental work done with an oral surgeon.... if this condition is not treated it could migrate to his brain and cause death from cranial sepsis or serious brain damage...

Go ogle this for more info .... see

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tooth-abscess/ds01189
 lovemymainecoon
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:46:23 PM
Get out a piece of gum and offer one to him, continue on to chew yours, even if he declines, the fresh in your mouth will put off his scent. But don't encourage further closeness of any kind.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:50:09 PM
It sounds like a rotting/decaying tooth/teeth. Seriously. I am amazed at how many guys neglect their teeth, even ones who make it clear how much money they are making, who you'd think could afford to get something done about it. Some have been told more than once by women, and alas, still choose to do nothing about it.

I've experienced this more than once. I know how hard it is to keep kissing someone whose breath smells that way.
 amore01
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/11/2012 7:14:27 PM
I couldn't do it..that is such a turn off for me.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/11/2012 7:31:58 PM
Sinus trouble can also cause terrible bad breath, like an open sewer. If this gent is otherwise well put together, he probably wasn't aware of the problem and maybe it was temporary. Give him another shot, but be tactfully honest if the bad breath is still there.
 OCRebellion
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/11/2012 7:39:39 PM
OP...I would give it another chance. If he appears to be well groomed, then he probably takes care of himself. He may have eaten something that didn't agree with him, or he might be on some type of medication, or he very well have some type of stomach condition that can produce bad breath. Nice guys are hard to find... don't walk away just yet.
 damsel19
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/11/2012 7:56:09 PM
He must have halitosis or some digestive complaint. If you smelled his breath from across a table it must have been awful. It is probably why he is on dating sites and not having much luck when he is handsome and well groomed. You can see him again and hand him some breath mints but he may have an underlying health issue and that is more of a worry. You can text him the truth and you may be doing him a favour as he is clearly unaware. If he takes the trouble to try to fix the problem and wants to see you again and has not taken umbrage you may be onto a winner and then again other women will want him too!!
 lightbrownsuga2luv
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/11/2012 8:03:59 PM
I agree with Sexykg....who goes out on a date without making sure that your breath is fresh....double fresh for that matter, mint gum after you have brushed n used mouthwash. He may be aware of his breath could be the reason why he was well groomed, pressed clothes and nice smile.
Who the hell knows, but If the FUNK was that bad, I'm not sure why he didn't know it himself.
That is up to you, I just don't know if I go for another date or not.
 qualityl
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/11/2012 8:13:23 PM
Let's all be positive. Give him some gum or mouth wash.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/11/2012 8:16:04 PM
but If the FUNK was that bad, I'm not sure why he didn't know it himself

Actually I think it's pretty easy for someone to be blissfully unaware... a perfect example of this is women who wear way too much of the wrong type of perfume ( or similarity a man who wears so much cologne he could choke a moose ).

We have all have had the opportunity to share an enclosed space with someone whose aroma took our breath away for all the wrong reasons when they may have been thinking they smelled pretty good.
 a_Libra_rising
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/11/2012 9:48:39 PM
it could be a hormonal thing that your senses are telling you to not go further with him. we're still animals and scent is very important and also a major part of attraction which is mostly on the subconscious level.

if he's that much of a rarity, probably just tell him the truth in a gentle way and see what he has to say about that. you'll be able to know what kind of a dude he really is by what he does after you tell him.
 Silver_Sparks
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/11/2012 10:12:25 PM
........this thread is HILARIOUS !!

This is WHY I carry Listerine pocket paks in my purse.
I hate bad breath....either mine or others.

I have been on TWO dates with the type of person you describe.
Neither turned into a second, but BOTH got a Listerine spritz from me.

Simple solution?
Take the Listerine pak out of your purse and spray it into your mouth, then offer to spray it into your dates mouth. No good-natured date will refuse, especially if you hint that you'd like to get closer or are thinking about sharing a kiss later.
It's kinda intimate and it WORKS.

If you plan on meeting him again you'll HAVE to mention this problem in advance.
Bad breath could be a side-effect of a medical condition or certain medication.
If he appeared well-groomed he probably was. If this is your only complaint about him, I think it's a minor one that can easily be solved.
 ObscureBeauty
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/11/2012 10:41:44 PM
OMG... lol.... "a funky whisper". I died ten times reading that.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Handsome and well groomed but