Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > American pop music is crap...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 crguy43
Msg: 1
view profile
History
American pop music is crap...Page 1 of 1    
The next time I have that no-talent waste Katy Perry inflicted on me, I'm going to smash my radio...There are some singers and groups that are tolerable...Lady Gaga is very talented, but wastes her talent on the trash she sings...Adele is good, but you can only listen to so much of her. Bruno Mars has some talent, but wastes it on too many worthless songs...
Rap and Hip-Hop are just evidence of how far black popular music--which used to be wonderful, the best of American music--has slipped into self-indulgent, degenerate, talentless filth. (oooooo baby, baby...yeccch!)
Today for relief I go on youtube and watch/listen oldies or to some of the wonderful European groups like Within Temptation, Nightwish, and others...if you're as sick of the trash polluting the American airwaves as I am, check out some of the Euro symphonic metal groups...they feature lead vocalists with real talent!
 RedElectric
Msg: 2
American pop music is crap...
Posted: 3/12/2012 11:20:30 AM
I am sorry, I have to address where you said, "Lady Gaga is very talented, but wastes her talent on the trash she sings". You've only heard 2 or 3 of her most popular songs. She has about 60 if you didn't know! Most people only come back to "Pokerface" (which, lyrically, is pretty impressive IMO).

She doesn't care about sales, or what's popular, she is true to her vision and puts out what she wants. Take "You & I" for example. It's country. She could've easily released "Highway Unicorn" or "Heavy Metal Lover" and it would've done way better.

Her talent is in her live performances. "You and I" on The View, "Hair" on her Thanksgiving special, "Fooled Me Again" from JoJo on the Radio interview, every Speechless performance (there is no way I could name them all). "Murder My Heart" is a masterpiece (although she didn't sing it, she wrote every word). "Reloaded" has a humor about it that is prevalent in a lot of her songs. "Let Love Down" "Wish You Were Here" "Electric Kiss" "Captivated" "Dance In The Dark" all have strong lyrics. I could go on and on.

She will be around for a very long time.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/12/2012 11:23:58 AM
How can you flag someone's profile? OP is clearly a 14-15 year old male and lying about it. No self-respecting man would write such a post, let alone listen to Nightwish.
 DYLANBROCHILL
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/12/2012 12:34:59 PM
you clearly know nothing about pop music if you think that symphonic metal isnt pop. pop is anything melody based and ive never heard a nightwish song that ever had focus on rhythm or harmony. i dont understand how you think their vocalists are any different than any pop stars on american top 40. theyre singing the same scales over different styles of music, there is no divide in the amount of talent, one simply has more exposure to the public than the other. i hate how people try to impose their personal tastes on everyone!
 Bishopboat
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/12/2012 1:00:23 PM
Who honestly likes pop music?
 crguy43
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 1:29:52 PM
Sorry, Sequerrah...I was 57 last Christmas...and I like the old Nightwish with Tarja Turunen (though Anete is decent enough in some songs...) and I have every Within Temptation CD I've been able to find. Sharon den Adel is wonderfully talented, and can sing many styles and genres...I just find most American music today unimaginative and banal...while there was great diversity in the music I grew up with--from Do-Wop to the West Coast Sound to the Motown Sound to the British Invasion to Acid Rock to Heavy Metal, even Disco--all had merit. Today you have "diversity" but it is a diversity of trash. Black music has especially degenerated. When I listen to the garbage put out by those "artists" today and compare them to Jimmy Hendrix, Otis Redding, Ben E. King, Wilson Pickett, Chuck Berry et al, the comparison is odious and nauseating.
If you like the garbage that pollutes the airwaves today, that's your choice--but I stand by what I said. Most of it is just plain bad. That's all the more unfortunate because some of the people producing it--Lady Gaga for instance--are genuine talents.
Is it because I'm older I dislike a lot of this stuff? Maybe. that's part of it. But a wise man, the late New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, talked about how we were debasing our culture (yes, I realize you are Canadian, but you do share a fair part of it, being that we're the 800 pound gorilla next door) by "defining deviancy (and, implicitly, all standards) down." Current popular music, unfortunately, stands as maybe the greatest testament to the truth of his observation.
 crguy43
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 1:40:55 PM
Lady Gaga is in my opinion one of the premiere pure talents on the scene today. She is a wonderful vocalist. But I stand by what I said. Maybe she is being true to herself (and I've heard many good things about her charitable acts) but I stand by what I said--despite the quality of her vocals, most of the music she sings is just plain bad.

I do like "You and I" but "Bad Romance" was just abysmal. Sadly, she is talented enough she wouldn't have to do the crappy warmed-over Madonna nonsense that she wastes time doing. Gotta sell records to the mindless teeny boppers though, I guess...
 crguy43
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 1:43:49 PM
I'm not trying to impose my personal tastes on anyone--just stating my opinion, which, though I don't know about Canada, the last time I looked was still my right here in the USA...
 2findU
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 1:48:31 PM
You got that right! Frankly ALL pop music is crap these days.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/12/2012 2:09:30 PM
I don't care about pop music either, but I also don't go on online forums complaining how they have no talent compared to the music that *I* listen to.

I personally know many musicians with more talent more talent in the tips of their pinky than the members of Nightwish, let alone the "pop music" you so despise. My own tastes lie more towards the classical, jazz, and traditional (bluegrass, celtic, etc.) idioms, but I'll throw on a Lady Gaga song every now and then, because who the hell cares?
 crguy43
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:04:43 PM
Tt's not just the music *I* listen to that is superior--I have no, zero, nada taste for Jazz, but that's a flaw in me, not the genre, because I can appreciate it aethetically as a true art form even though it bores me. Ditto most Opera, though I do like Madame Butterfly, but Wagner leaves me cold. The music is glorious--why did he have to futch it up with all that screeching and belllowing? (my totally uneducated opinion--but others far more knowledgeable and sophisticated than I am could explain why, maybe, even to my uneducated ear...)

Quality and worth are intrinsic, and have little or nothing to do with the judgements of an uninformed listener.

I'm old fashioned enough to believe that there are degrees of quality and worth in any endeavor, music no exception...Mahler has inherently more value and quality than Ray Charles (a serious favorite of mine) but within his lower sphere Charles has more value and quality than who the hell ever Rap "artist." The ancients instinctively understood such things--it only us "advanced" idiots that argue nothing is inherently superior to anything else, it's all a matter of taste and opinion. Get a person who really believes that garbage, and you have a real grade A moron. Unfortunately, our schools are producing a lot of them these days.

My guilty pleasure is Country--the tackier and more maudlin the better...
 Thennn
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/13/2012 10:20:54 AM
i didnt read any posts in here but i'm liable to agree. American pop music is to music, as mcdonalds is to food.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > American pop music is crap...