Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why does everyone seem to not like country music?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RedLight417
Msg: 1
Why does everyone seem to not like country music?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Hey Ya'll so I always like to ask this question to find a legitamit reason why people always say they hate country music, sure it can be sad at times, but it's music straight from the heart. Hell, I'm a country musician and I know a lot of different types of songs in the genre, they aren't all kill me now depressing ones, besides, every genre today has a similar meaning, whether it's love, heartache, pain, redemption, having fun, etc.

Why is it that people have so much against country above all?
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why does everyone seem to not like country music?
Posted: 3/15/2012 2:11:53 PM
I think people just hate the sad style and corny lyrics.....I was one of them until I started two step dancing. Dancing will give you a whole new perspective on why a song is good or not, especially if it has that "hitch" for two step. Furthermore, as a guitarist and songwriter, there are some incredible songs in the genre, to great to ignore imho. Finally, its easy to sound amazing with distortion, but i totally admire clean country pickin, you can't screw up, the bands are usually top notch and the production is always awesome...probably some stiff competetion in nashville......it all good, metal,dubstep,country, downtempo yup....
 lightbrownsuga2luv
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:13:18 AM
I just don't like it, maybe because I never grew up listenting to it. I don't like that much Jazz either, nor rock, blues eghhh..little.
I think it's what I listened to growing up, my genre growing up was R&B, soul, gospil for me.
 Tayfire
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 11:30:31 AM
I personally dont hate it. I do like a bit of country now and again such as Hank Williams, Johnny Cash etc.
 jo_schmo
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/17/2012 3:25:10 AM
Country doesn't really sound country anymore... that's my issue...

Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr, Waylon Jennings... honestly there is a western swing/honkey tonk revival thing going around that have some good new acts.. I saw a band around Christmas time called The B Stars hailing from So Cal, great western swing....
 Rheostatic
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/17/2012 12:36:41 PM
I get the feeling that when most people say that, they're generally referring to "country pop".
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 7:51:48 PM
I agree on country music is quite hypocritical. Songs about driving beat up pick up trucks and the old shacks they live in, when you know damn good and well they haven't seen either for a long time (if ever at all--it's like rappers and their street cred, then you find out they grew up in a suburban neighborhood or even upper class areas).
 KittenCatt
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/17/2012 10:29:16 PM
I LOVE old country from the 50's, 60's, and 70's....it's ambrosia to me.

But nowadays country....I don't get it. It doesn't even sound like country to me, or some of the lyrics sound unrealistic to me.
 mjinict
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 12:41:24 PM
I don't see why we need to put labels on good music. There's good country and not so good, like any genre. I challenge anyone to listen to Brad Paisley and not appreciate the talent he has.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY7bcOBC7Y0&feature=fvsr
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/20/2012 12:22:45 PM
I think many people dog country music not necessarily because of the music itself, but for the fact that they associate it with "white trash rednecks" and living in trailer parks etc. Perhaps they feel bashing it makes them more "sophisticated".

For me personally, there is some I like, and some I find dreadful. What I don't like is the same old progressions and trite lyrics. Country might be a genre I shouldn't expect a reinvention of the wheel, but hey, that's just me.

On the positive side, there has always been undeniable talent in the genre. You don't even have to like country music to recognize it.

Some of the absolute best guitarists I've worked with have been country pickers. If you want to know where you stand as a guitarist, head to somewhere like Nashville or Austin, Texas.
 celticrhythm
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/20/2012 1:07:03 PM
I am not a fan of country music, but I agree that there is a lot of good guitar playing is in country music. The most influential guitar players are Maybelle Carter and Merle Travis. Most styles of guitar playing in music after them evolved out of those two styles. They were not only infulential in country music, but in blues (especially Merle), folk, and even in rock music.

I am more of a Celtic music lover. The guitar or the "giotar" is not considered to be a traditional instrument in Celtic music, I believe that's more of a modern movement. But, at the St. Ann's Gaelic College, they've added Celtic guitar classes to appeal to the youth and make the transition into Celtic music.
 mjinict
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:02:26 PM
I think many people dog country music not necessarily because of the music itself, but for the fact that they associate it with "white trash rednecks" and living in trailer parks etc. Perhaps they feel bashing it makes them more "sophisticated".
-----------------
I think there's a lot of truth in that statement...
Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Jason Aldean, three of the best shows I've seen in a long time.
 blackbird76
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:49:39 PM
My Grandma used to have it on all the time, it just isn't my thing. Some of it I refer to as "donkey music" because it evokes an image of a stubborn donkey pulling a cart full of hay really slowly along a really boring long road. I like Shania Twain, but otherwise prefer most other genres of music.
 MrDubStep
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/23/2012 1:14:47 PM
I like country I'm just not a huge fan of ''new country''
I'm more Into the old school.
 mjinict
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 6:32:11 PM
You guys are so into music, what's wrong with a little rockin' country? Especially if you like rock.

I like both styles. Don't really see why people catorgorize country into 'new' and old'. We don't do that with rock music, and it has certainly evolved over the years. To each their own, I guess.
 yendor70
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/25/2012 12:05:42 PM
Personally I get sick of anything that gets played over and over constantly on local radio stations. The radio station(s) played over the intercom where I work alternate between local country, top 40 pop, classic rock, and a station that plays a lot of mixed music. Most of these stations play the same rehashed playlists for their genre. I can't stand hearing that stuff over and over. They will usually keep it on the same station for about a week or so before changing it.

For example on the country station you can't go more than a half hour before hearing some Rascal Flatts tune or Carrie Underwood tune. The top 40 station plays Lady gaga about 15 times in an 8 hour period. The classic rock station plays the same Pink Floyd, AC/DC,etc. tunes over and over. Thankfully in the office area where I work we can turn the radio down and I can just play my own selections on my MP3 player.
 Dessi67
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/25/2012 12:32:36 PM
I love country music. I was raised on it. I tend to prefer the older country (Cash, Jennings, Jones, Wynette, etc.) and new artists who are into a more traditional sound (Paisley, Jackson, Pistol Annies, Hank III). I absolutely hate this pop country crap that is coming out more and more on the radio. I mean, what part of "Kick it in the sticks" is country? It sounds like a Hinder song than somebody wrote some hillbilly rap lyrics to. And most modern female country artists are the worst ever! Don't get me wrong, some of them have amazing voices, but they really belong in pop music, because what they are doing is not country. Country these days is full of failed pop and rock artists in cowboy costumes. Most country fans also like other genres, so its easy for country to get watered down. I understand it, but I just prefer my country pop/rock free.
 colt8301
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/28/2012 2:04:21 PM

Why is it that people have so much against country above all?

I lean more toward blues than country even though they both go hand and hand, as far as subject matter goes. There are some country songs that are so funny you can't help but like them. As far as hate goes, I guess it depends where you live, I live in "gator" country so pretty much everybody around this way digs it.
 optimismfirst
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:44:51 PM
country is hot and sexy. i LOVE COUNTRY MUSIC. braid paisley, keith urban and taylor swift and carrie underwood and rascal flats
 yugatsuj
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2012 3:31:40 AM
Hi.

I think there are a few reasons for this:

Firstly, there was a period in the 90's when country became a huge fad. Movies (Pure Country, The Cowboy Way...), clothing (Stetson's, cowboy boots, big belt buckles, Garth Brooks/Brooks & Dunn style shirts) were all the rage, and the fact that there were literally hundreds of acts that seemed to come out of nowhere overnight to cash in on it. I knew people who were wearing Jam shorts & Converse All-Stars one minute, then were suddenly wearing head to toe cowboy gear the next.

Secondly, you couldn't NOT hear country music. It was being played on almost all the radio stations, except the few dedicated rock ones in bigger cities, some even switched their formats. There was already The Nashville Network & CMT, when Muchmusic decided to put country videos in heavy rotation. Nearly every business had country playing as background music as well.

Thirdly, Country was becoming pop & light rock. Bands were taking classic rock songs and reworking them. Shania Twain was basically a pop-tart. Garth Brooks, a self admitted huge KISS fan, took the arena rock spectacle & applied it to his stage act.

There was also a lot of intolerance among fans of different genres, particularly country & rock. I was a bar DJ at the time, started out in a mostly rock bar that was across the street from a country one. The other bar would be full, so patrons would come over & demand that I play country for them. It got to the point where we were alienating our regulars for the other bar's overflow - there was also a dance bar in town that began to play rock because our customers went down there.

The short version of my answer is: Country music was essentially crammed down a lot of people's throats, that's why they have no taste for it.
 ZachAtTacK13
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/7/2012 8:05:43 PM
Dick In Dixie by Hank III pretty much sums up my feelings on modern country. Its soulless and sucks ass. Those Poor **stards is worth checking out for fans of outlaw/underground country.
 Lykrian
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/14/2012 7:24:25 PM
I miss older country artists such as Brooks and Dunn, Billy Ray Cyrus and Johnny Cash. Country music just doesn't sound the same to me these days.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2012 6:58:12 AM
I do not care for country-pop whatsoever, it is boring and trite. *Real* country and bluegrass, on the other hand, is the shiznit. Johnny Cash, Earl Scruggs, etc.
 pj20fan
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/21/2012 8:43:00 PM
I respect the talent of the musicians but the core of country music has been lost. The many origonal artist have assended intothe either. Now its a mad race for modern country artist to out country the other. All songs include sweet tea,4wd trucks,muddy tires,dirt roads,fishing,beer in the hand or on the console,toes in the sand, its repitious and unoriginal. I get it its a style of life. But no creativity.
 wanted555
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2012 11:26:45 PM
youre right !! original old country is not like it is today / it was always to me the beginning of many types of style of music / i hear it in blues , rockin blues, rock, rap, reggae, metal, goth, r @ b / dolly parton wrote i will always love you and when whitney sang it no one knew dolly wrote it / led zepplin do many songs that have country origin / theres more to country than youll know if you dont really know it / i dont listen to the radio / i listen to the real original country and thats where all my music i write comes from and i do goth and heavy metal etc
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why does everyone seem to not like country music?