Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What do you think.........      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 damsel19
Msg: 2
What do you think.........Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Long distance relationships do not work. I do know of very few successful stories from dating sites and even the paid ones. As for making it work for life, that cannot be known, no matter where you meet them. If you are really keen on someone then you move to where they are. Love knows no bounds. There is Skype and phoning for sure but without physical contact it is not much of a relationship.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 3
What do you think.........
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:21:14 PM
Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life????? Is it possible to have a long distance relationship. If you only met for 17 days.

1. About .001%, similar to meeting a "soulmate" for life by randomly walking down the street..

2. Some have, so it is rarely possible but unlikely..

3. Tell us more info about those 17days activities...

4. Several years. Some success stories online here and anecdotal through friends people have met online and formed relationships.. It's hard to compare that with all the other methods people meet, and how that may or may not affect the length of the "relationship".

Although PROXIMITY is still the number one factor overall that leads people to contact and bond over time..

VVV Gotta get that proximity fuse lit and burning at your local special interest social groups..
Start by gettin yourself out there with a smile, be friendly and talk to some interesting people RL, they may actually talk back..
 Meems919
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:28:10 PM
I'm hoping PROXIMITY works for me
 CulturedBlackMan
Msg: 5
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:38:11 PM
Personally I think the odds of dating to successful relationship is 1M : 1...we all here of, know of and often hope to be that 1 successful relationship. The possibility always exists....I often wonder how many have given up and to their hearts DONT believe they'll ever meet anyone but clog the rosters on dating sites for those that still do.

Of course the use of the word "successful" is subjective.....
 bucsgirl
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:40:01 PM
Just as much of a chance as if you met at a bus stop, at church, online in the bank................it's not about how you meet. As far as long distance, it RARELY works, I'd discourage it highly if it were one of my friends. If it were one of my kids, I'd lock them in a closet!!!
 AJ2517
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:48:47 PM
This dating site plus all the others(there is no difference between any of them) is all about the good, the bad and the ugly, meaning, especially on the free sites, everyone has a "license" to be on here and say what they want......Women get a lot more of the good the bad and the ugly then guys...Makes it very very difficult to find a connection when some get lots of attention and lots of times miss out on those they don't have time to reply to...And that is true a lot of times!, and I don't blame anyone for that, it is what it is......Is there a chance of meeting someone on here who is legit and a really good person in every aspect?....Of course there is!.....But like the saying goes, it only takes one...That "one" can be in the next 5 minutes or 5 years from now...
 dogwood
Msg: 8
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:50:41 PM
Well, if you kill them when you're done with them, technically one of you had a relationship for life.
 laskoboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:03:01 PM
I know many people who met using a dating site, married and together many years now........... none are long distance.
If your willing to meet in person and meet someone in your area I think there is a GREAT chance to meet someone, and be together for life...
 Meems919
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:56:20 PM
All statistics are hindsight. Until you take action, you don't have any chance of ANY percentage of success.
 neck romancer
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:58:24 PM
i feel your chances of a soulmate are the same here as in real life. Possibly higher as your exposed to more ppl this way.
 kassi99
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:01:09 PM
My Dad met his wife on an online dating site. She lived in Alaska. He lived in Louisiana. They have been happily married for 7 years now. They are the ones that convinced me to try internet dating. On the flip side I have dated someone who lived an hour away and it did not work out due to time constraints, kids,etc. I think, after talking with my Dad and StepMom, the big difference is they had the luxury of it being just the two of them to consider. He moved to Alaska with her after they married for a few years and now they live in Louisiana. No worries about kids schools, keeping them close to the other parent,e tc. Bottom line, it depends on the people and their circumstances.
 SweetLR1
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:11:39 PM
On this site, almost impossible to meet somebody nice for life. All the schmucks on here claim they're looking for long term but in reality all they're looking for is nothing.
 AJ2517
Msg: 18
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:16:30 PM
What's the chance of meeting somebody anywhere and making it work for life?
 qualityl
Msg: 20
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/17/2012 4:14:20 AM
Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????

Sure why not? But if that happens, it won't have anything to do with this site.

Is it possible to have a long distance relationship. If you only met for 17 days.

No. Because knowing someone for two weeks isn't a "relationship" even if the guy only lives a mile away.

How long have you been on dating sites and do you know of any successful relationships????

Been here off an on for a couple of years. I have a couple of friends who met through POF and are now married. So far, they haven't tried to kill each other but one of them threatened to kill me once. Cool.
 aussiesealady
Msg: 22
 MustangGirl1965
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/17/2012 5:15:12 AM
Your questions are a touch confusing but let me try to answer them. There is always a good chance of meeting somebody on a dating site, that's what it's for. I met my current boyfriend online (not POF) and before him I dated two others I met online.

It is possible to have a relationship if you don't live in the same area but you have to see each other regularly just like any other relationship, otherwise you can't "relate" so no relationship. My boyfriend works away (he flies to his job, works for two weeks, flies home for a week) so we have what could be called a LDR on that basis. On his week at home, we see each other as much as possible. When he's away, we're in contact when he can call or get online.

I'm not sure about your reference to 17 days. So I won't try to comment there.

I've had my profile online for around six months, and in that time I've dated three men, met several others, and chatted to a lot more (many of which were never going to result in a meeting IRL and many of which I deleted very quickly after the introductions.

My boyfriend won't be working away forever...in fact another year or two and then he will work locally.
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 6:43:34 AM
Just see this as increasing your availability to allow someone in. Hope high and expectations low works for me.

On the subject of cross atlantic romances, there are many that have worked out really well, more than the horror stories anyway. To be honest i am not surprised. I spend a lot of time in the states and canada, and while we are similar in most respects, out outlooks on life are very different.

This makes dating and relationships interesting as the whole new dynamic has opened up, with a fresh outlook life takes some interesting twists and turns. I am surprised more dont look into this, but then again the problems start with who turns their life upside down and ends with Immigration. Certainly a good test of love when you have to go through all that.
 TALLBLUEEYEDGAL3
Msg: 27
 let_it_rock
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/17/2012 8:18:48 AM
i would think that its like any other relationship, it all depends on how much you want it to work, and if you're willing to work to making it last. No relationship will last if the people involved don't work on it. dating sites are just another vehicle for finding someone. In a world where so many people are busy working toward their heart attack there isn't much time left to actually stop and get to know someone. We meet so many people during our day its hard to weed out who is unavailable much less who is right for us. A dating site allows us to find out who is looking, and cuts out a lot of time consuming BS.
 RushLuv
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/17/2012 8:35:11 AM
I think meeting someone through CERTAIN dating sites, and making it work long term is possible. I'm not sure about the relationship working for life.

Trying to find a LT relationship through a site like this one, is probably like watching paint dry.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/17/2012 8:38:42 AM

Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????

^^^^^^^^^
Yes I know people that have been together 3-16 years. Some married each other, some are not married but are committed and happy.
One even won't poop in front of her and thats LOVE baby.

Is it possible to have a long distance relationship. If you only met for 17 days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well OP They put a man on the moon but chances of either one of us ever getting there are slim.
The fact you are still married to someone else and have moon eyes after just 17 days is just ODD imo.
Maybe your hormones need to back up a pinch..Don't ya think?

How long have you been on dating sites and do you know of any successful relationships????

My join date doesn't really reflect my participating in active dating on here.

I have met some really special people and made friends..and then I have met really "special" * ahem* people
 cookies1972
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/17/2012 8:47:14 AM
i know of several couples who have met on line and then have gotten married. one of them is actually my co-worker. i personally don't do long distant relationships because they could already be involved with someone and they just want to cheat. it is possible though.
 tlcme1964
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/17/2012 8:57:46 AM
Life long is unrealistic nowadays whether meeting on a dating site or not. The US divorce rate is better than 50% & the average marriage lasts just 7 years. There definitely are exceptions & I do think the exceptions are what keep driving us to believe, but it's difficult to find an exceptional person willing to make the effort to make it last when it's easier to just throw in the towel.

And long distance relationships never work. We all know this from experience. It's just a myth that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Most want the here & now & the intimate (non-sexual) contact of a significant other in their daily lives. My brother (33) met, married & was divorced from a woman (35) he’d met on FB, all within 6 months. She initiated it while he was deployed overseas & by the time he got the legal papers, the divorce was finalized.

I've used internet dating, not exclusively, for about 6 years now & had a few short term relationships in the beginning. Most seemed nice enough but like me were just feeling their way around after being divorced. My last serious effort was a 6 month exclusive but non sexual relationship. Contrary to popular opinion not all men just want sex & also contrary to all the superficial junk people now post, she had a crappy essay & no picture on her profile. She had the potential for long term but was afraid to move forward, even sexually, after being burned in her last relationship. I could no longer abide by her insistence of exclusivity & her indecisiveness made me feel like I was standing still in our relationship, so I decided to walk away.

I no longer take internet dating seriously. It’s more a chore with too many playing games, too many self made rules & way too many that are so distrustful that saying “Hi” via email is viewed suspiciously. I mainly keep my unpaid membership profile active for the forums.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What do you think.........