Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > George Clooney      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mjinict
Msg: 1
view profile
History
George ClooneyPage 1 of 1    
I'm finding it hard to understand why anyone would criticize George Clooney in his activism for human rights issues in Africa, most recently Sudan. Is it a conservative/anti Hollywood thing? It seems to me it should be one of the few non-partisan issues that should be made aware of by whomever has the interest, notoriety and means to do so.
 RushLuv
Msg: 2
George Clooney
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:52:54 AM
I love it when people take a stand to human rights as well as being activist among other things.

While other celebrities are busy spending, and flaunting their wealth among the poor, and minorities, we get some of the one's that genuinely care about some of the most important issues and concerns.

These people are taking a stand, and I give them two thumbs up for their kindness and bravery.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 3
view profile
History
George Clooney
Posted: 3/18/2012 10:19:58 AM
i think what gets on a lot of folks goats is that a super wealthy actor/ess or
musician starts banging on and waving the finger at folk like they are talking
to naughty schoolbairns.

how much noise did clooney make about 'world problems' before he reached
the lofty heights he is at now?

i cant remember hearing bonio waffling on about global problems when u2 were
starting on their way to multi million superstardom?

it says a lot about the dumbing of the population that a 'celebrity' has to be used
to get their attention. i have to laugh when some 'celeb' gets filmed in africa telling
us all how WE need to do something. then said 'celeb' appears at a dinner where
countless thousands of £s are spent on the food for them.

im positive there is a photo of bonio arriving in africa to highlight something where
he carries a gucci holdall that would keep a family alive for years.

the only people who can sort out sudan are the sudanese or the african nations.
 mjinict
Msg: 4
view profile
History
George Clooney
Posted: 3/18/2012 10:32:32 AM
I disagree. Sometimes it takes a celebrity to draw attention to attrocities on the other side of the world...

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-03-16/opinion/opinion_avlon-clooney-sudan_1_satellite-sentinel-project-nick-clooney-harvard-humanitarian-initiative?_s=PM:OPINION
 CharminC
Msg: 5
George Clooney
Posted: 3/18/2012 11:16:23 AM
He's bringing attention to an issue he feels desperately needs attention. He's been trying to help since the days he was on ER.
It's in the news he was arrested and .... he was alongside his father...... awesome!
I wish him luck. The atrocities needs to stop.
 mjinict
Msg: 6
view profile
History
George Clooney
Posted: 3/18/2012 12:18:31 PM
He's not raising money for Sudan as in a benefit. He's relating his recent experiences to lawmakers in hopes they will take some sort of action.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 7
George Clooney
Posted: 3/18/2012 12:37:47 PM
I did my internship many years back at UNICEF. This issue has been going on in Sudan for many years. George and many others are helping the media to focus on Sudan. If there is no awareness, we cannot implement change. Just like here in the USA, policy dictates poverty and atrocities.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
George Clooney
Posted: 3/18/2012 1:00:28 PM
people take action in the direction their passion dictates ... just a small handful of people in the Rotary have sent MILLIONS of dollars to bring water to Angola ... friends have gone over there to personally supervise and ensure the dollars are going to the areas they expected/wanted them to go ... this is not something the average citizen would do ... initially, for example, there are close to 20 innoculations needed just to GO TO Angola ... despite these precautions, a couple people came back ill ... but emotionally charged due to the good they could see their money was accomplishing ...

if a person is a celebrity ... they're using their status to bring attention to the areas where their passion lies ...

GOOD FOR THEM!! ... GOOD FOR GEORGE CLOONEY!!! ... and do you think his father's single?

onlydateIF
Msg: 9
George Clooney
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:20:43 PM
yes, Sudan has been subject to complete genocide for many years now! Way to go George for doing what you could to raise awareness of how dire the situation is
 judydentures
Msg: 10
George Clooney
Posted: 3/19/2012 7:02:11 PM
I don't like him, but you can't fault the guy for trying to help out in Africa.
At least he's making an effort.
 Aries_328
Msg: 11
view profile
History
George Clooney
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:27:00 PM
Is this accurate?

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/45361

What Clooney doesn’t understand is this isn’t just a conflict between opposing political factions, it is a religious war of extermination perpetrated by Islamists against non-Muslim Africans and Christians.

If that is true and we get involved... How exactly wouldn't that be viewed as a war against islam?

How is the Theocratic Christian America supposed to fix this again? Oh... Oil? Wait? What???

So, republican war on women by theocratic war mongering oil stealing america should deal with an Islamic religious war of extermination in an area that has oil????

http://www.ecosonline.org/

ECOS unites over 50 European organizations working for peace and justice in Sudan. We do research and call for action from governments and the business sector to ensure that Sudan’s oil wealth contributes to peace and equitable development

Please splain cuz I just became very confused.
 darthbanker
Msg: 12
George Clooney
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:43:07 PM

I'm finding it hard to understand why anyone would criticize George Clooney in his activism for human rights issues in Africa, most recently Sudan.

IMO a lot of people see "celebrities" as just a group.
They turn on t.v., or walk by the news stand at the check out aisle, or listen to the radio, or open the paper, and it's all Kardashian, Snookie, Brad Pitt, Clooney.
Doesn't really matter what they are doing.
They are doing something, and it's attention attention attention.
So IMO they see that Kardashian chick getting married for public attention no different than that Clooney dude activisting for attention.

There are issues, there are normal people, part of a normal group doing things, then there are people that are seen as part of the attention whore group doing the things, and it rubs some people raw.
 mjinict
Msg: 13
view profile
History
George Clooney
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:56:32 PM
^^^Thanks for your answer to the question. You're probably right and don't mean to sound sexist but people shouldn't lump Kardashian/Snookie with Pitt/Clooney. Big difference.
 RushLuv
Msg: 14
George Clooney
Posted: 3/20/2012 6:39:32 PM
Uhm...darth. Comparing apples to oranges, are we?

You can't compare media craved attentions whores to humanitarians vowing to make a difference in this world.

Very unfair comparison thus insulting.

But you are right about one thing...George was seeking attention...to bring to Sudan.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > George Clooney