Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 'Younger' older women. Why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 1
view profile
History
'Younger' older women. Why?Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
It's a little uncanny (in a positive way) how so many women are maintaining their youthful looks as they reach 45, 50 and well a beyond.

This weekend I was leading a science workshop and assumed one of the females was a graduate student in her late 20's. Later we were talking about pre Internet days and she was relating some anecdotal stories of her past and it turns out she is actually a 49 year old adult student.

Last summer I met two women in a field study program who were in their early 50's but were super fit and I thought in their mid 30's maximum.

My own girlfriend is 52 and I didn't know at first it was 'her' when we had are first meeting because she seemed too young...really, really young looking. I'm fit and young looking for my age but am quite serious when I tell her, that when we're out, some people might wonder how an old guy like me snagged a young lady

Anyways, is this a trend in modern society? Why do some woman look so young. It can't be just make up because my girl looks even younger sometimes not 'done up'.. Is it diet, exercise, less children? Do all those keep-looking-youthful products really make a skin soft and sensuous? Hair colouring? clothes? attitude?

Is it also fair to say that many females in their 20's are looking the reverse...older? Maturing more quickly because of diet? It seems a lot of 45 year old females look 35 whereas some 25 females look mid 30's.

(my eyes are fine!)
 NRSV1953
Msg: 2
view profile
History
'Younger' older women. Why?
Posted: 3/18/2012 1:58:14 PM
Perhaps it is a combination of all you mentioned but I would also add that genetics plays a huge factor in how we all age. One of my grandmothers was prematurely gray at 30 while a great-aunt had no gray hair at 80. (She was of the generation that only "harlets" dyed their hair!) Same goes for wrinkles about the face. One great-aunt had a "road map" kind of face and another had nary a wrinkle at 90!

So, while we can control diet, exercise, number of babies, etc, some of it is just plain luck of the draw with our genes.
 icefishingrl
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:23:39 PM
"Do all those keep-looking-youthful products really make a skin soft and sensuous? Hair colouring? clothes? attitude? " Sciencetrekker

Those of us who were paying attention when we were cautioned to wear sunscreen every day, year 'round have been rewarded. I have been applying it to my face since my late 20's.

I personally don't think botox and other 'fillers' look all that natural, but to each their own. Better than the 'face pull' that was once the only option!

I don't think science has invented a product to remove deep wrinkles once you have them, but a non-invasive fraxil lazer treatment is something most people of both sexes can afford, and a good skin care line recommended by the same dermatologist. Good dental care and a yearly whitening treatment go a long way too.

Hair coloring? Sure, but silver can look fabulous too if one is in good physical shape and wears it with style. I have a friend like that.

Clothing? Yes, shun the polyester pant suit in favor of something trendy that suits your shape and personality but is still age appropriate,... or not!

Attitude? for sure, if you keep up with what's going on in the world and around you, don't make your poodle the main focus of your life and have friends of all ages, I think your attitude will keep you young.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:44:14 PM
Maybe it's the attitude of today's 40 & 50 something ladies- if they feel young, they think/act young & seem to be younger. Either that or you are such a sweetheart, that you see the best in women

Thank you for posting a POSITIVE story!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:53:56 PM
Yes, never thought about the sun. My girlfriend, who is Danish and fair, never goes out without a hat and sunscreen. Not to be unkind, but when I travel to California, Arizona, etc. it sticks out how many women (certainly not all) with otherwise fine figues looked 'aged'. Asian woman where I live nearly always where rimmed hats and they usually have a youthful appearance.

Also true about teeth. Not many over 50 used to have all their own pearly whites. Dentistry has come a long way to give us a nice smile well past middle age.

Anyways, sure are a lot of good looking 'young' older babes out there.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:07:05 PM
Why the hades anyone would vote to delete this very positive thread about 45+ women is beyond me. For the most part, guys the OP's age aren't even open to meeting most of us --- unless they're at least 55 or 60, and we're "just 45." And yes: there are exceptions: one 45+ lady posts rather regularly about the hundreds of gentlemen who have expressed interest in her, but she is the exception and not the rule. Most of us rarely receive such positive validation about our 45+ ages, and I for one say, "Thanks for taking the time to recognize that age isn't exclusively about one's birth year. It is also about lifestyle choices over a lifetime." And while some of these lifechoices are relatively simple (it doesn't take much effort to wear a hat in the midday sun), others such as weight control, nutrition, and physical activity require a heck of a lot of self-discipline, willpower, and determination for most of us who also work 40-60 hours weekly, are caring for elderly parents or grandchildren, and additionally challenged with aging joints, bones, cartilige, teeth, etc. etc. etc. Moreover, sometimes no matter how hard we try to stay fit, genetics and/or environmental factor take their toll regardless.

So thanks for the kind words, OP. It is always wonderful to be validated by one of "our own kind" (as in a gentleman 45+:)
 Giggles10000
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:11:49 PM
I think that alot of it is genetic and women now get to be who they want vs being everything else to everyone...they arent the slave to the homes now...they are out and active doing things were before they raised the kids and then helped with the grandbabies...I think doing things help keep a person young.

I also think most of the products are better...I love obagi...it works wonderfully for me.

At an expensive seminar once this speaker pointed out that our hair and face are normally what others notice and that no matter how expensive our clothes are if we dont spend on face/hair we are making everything else look shabby...

I think before woman never grew their hair long after a certain age...we were all clones, at 20 you had a look, at 30, at 40 etc...now the looks have changed to where women are free to do what they feel looks best for them.
 statemachine500
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:26:41 PM
Women have something of an advantage in the hair department,in that it's acceptable for a woman to dye her hair.I'm still of the opinion that a man can look silly doing the same.
 bwena
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/18/2012 6:47:24 PM
I think it is attitude and sunscreen! lol Most people guess me to be in my early 30s! I am fair skinned and can't take the heat and sun.. and I never smoked, so I have very few wrinkles. I think that helps too!
 damsel19
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/18/2012 8:10:05 PM
I agree with NRSV1953
Also diet and exercise do play a part and we are more conscious of that now. We have moisturisers etc but I dont know how much they play a real part in maintaining a youthful appearance. We can dye our hair of course and wear flattering clothing, get a little plastic surgery that we dont necessarily admit to the guys.
I think alcohol and smoking are very ageing, very. The sun is worse. The damage is often laid down in the early days of tanning. I have fair skin and have avoided the sun all my life. I dont smoke or drink and have a few wrinkles but in 10 years I have barely changed. I am in my mid sixties and look younger than my youngest sister who is 56. No one knows who is the elder.
 damsel19
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/18/2012 8:12:19 PM
bwena

Right on!!
 damsel19
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/18/2012 8:13:50 PM
statemachine500

I agree with you and I never do think that a woman with grey or silver hair looks youthful no matter the skin tone. Men can get away with the grey hair in general and the dyed look is worse.
 icefishingrl
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/18/2012 8:55:32 PM
.I love obagi...it works wonderfully for me.

I love Obagi too, Giggles 10,000, with TiSilk sunscreen lotion. I bought it from my dermatologist for years at triple the price, but found I could buy it online.
 seki1949
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/18/2012 11:48:42 PM
@damsel19

I am in my mid sixties and look younger than my youngest sister who is 56. No one knows who is the elder.

We await a pciture on your profile.

Waiting, Seki
 rearguard*2
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:24:29 AM
There are a lot of really good looking, fit, active women in their 50s and 60s and older out there. I don't detect any decline in interest on my own part. Of course, its as always was, the better looking women are receiving more than their fair share of interest from men.

I don't see the rocket science in this thread at all. Let yourself go, and you get let go.....
 Ready_Real
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:30:26 AM
Good Morning, Dear RGuard,

Yes, and there are a lot of really good looking, fit , active men in their 50's and 60's who have absolutely captured my interest. They're all receiving more than their fair share of interest from women. Alas. when every once in a near miracle one of these gents and one of these ladies connect online, they're living about a zillion miles away sigh!

Have a great day, and to you ladies "out there," this one is a real catch so get out those fishing poles!
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:54:51 AM
I am so happy to have read this thread! You mean there are really men my age who actually LIKE women my age? What a concept!! I'm soooo tired of being invisible..except to 20 somethings who want a 'cougar' and men in their 70's.

I have to agree with the previous posts, it's a matter of genes and taking care of yourself. Attitude has a lot to do with it. I know people in their 30's who are old. It's not as much what they look like, it's the way they act and their attitudes.

There are many youthful looking, fit and healthy women AND men over 45. It's about darn time we are all recognized!

Have a great week all!
 laskoboo
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 7:11:47 AM

Why do
some woman look so young.

comination of genes and enviroment... but mostly genetics.

I have seen 30 year olds who look 50......... and 50 year olds who look 30.

After age 25 everyone ages on a different level, some more lucky than others.
Having a fit body that is not overweight is worth 10,000 pounds of beauty creams as far as looking younger. Nothing ages someone more than being out of shape.
 Balsamica
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/19/2012 8:57:56 AM
I think it's all the preservatives in the food we eat.
 TryAgan
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 9:02:33 AM

comination of genes and enviroment... but mostly genetics.
I have seen 30 year olds who look 50......... and 50 year olds who look 30.

Very true.
On the other hand, age estimates using incorrect eye glasses can also play a role.
Lately, many inexpensive spectacles made of colored plastic material are purchased in Walmart and some drug stores without a proper optical exam and prescription.
 jujubean52
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 10:53:48 AM
I know for me the answer is simple.
When growing up I hated seeing my grandma getting more and more wrinkled. I swore as a child to moisturize, rub my face the right way, etc. And to pay SOMEONE to keep my face unwrinkled. I look better at 60 than at 30 because I seldom have an evening date because the men are dying off already... so I seldom have to eat a meal past 6pm. so i am more fit than in my 30s.
I have a cosmetic surgery fund that pays for botox and Restalyne and Zerona treatments. I hear from a lot of younger guys who I guess didn't bother looking at my profile or think I will be SO THRILLED to have the honor of dating them that i will add them to my bank account. Uh no. I kept all my brain cells intact. :)
 Abby156
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 1:30:17 PM
LOL Oil of Olay all the way! I also use Strivectin and always wear a sunscreen. My almost 59 year body may not look my age but my aches tell me otherwise.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/19/2012 2:10:18 PM

Maybe it's the attitude of today's 40 & 50 something ladies-

Spot on!

Attitude plays a huge part in how anyone is perceived.

I am very immature; therefore, I am perceived as being younger than my years.

I do not think most of us actually "look" younger, but in comparison with women who have not taken good care of themselves due to smoking, excessive drinking, or just living a hard life, we seem to look younger--they just look older.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/19/2012 2:13:42 PM
I think that alot of it is genetic and women now get to be who they want vs being everything else to everyone...they arent the slave to the homes now...they are out and active doing things were before they raised the kids and then helped with the grandbabies...I think doing things help keep a person young.

I agree. Genetics play a major role in how youthful one looks. Some people are just blessed with good genes.

I also think most of the products are better...I love obagi...it works wonderfully for me

Wonder if that's available in Canada?

Very true.
On the other hand, age estimates using incorrect eye glasses can also play a role.

Very true indeed.

That reminds me of a situation from a couple of weeks ago at a local pub. My friend was obviously quite taken with one of the "singing cowboys" Apparently, he looked pretty hot to her. I didn't see it but each to their own right?
But a little later we decided to order something to eat and she couldn't see the menu....it was then that I noticed she wasn't wearing her glasses....."my aha moment."

...mae
 gail1010
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/19/2012 9:05:17 PM
OP, you are right. We (the women in our 40+...+...+... LOL) are finally started taking care of out skin and body, and I personally look and feel much better than 5 or even 10 years ago. The good thing is, when men start taking care of their appearance, they have the same metamorphose. It's just extremely hard to persuade a guy to start using all these anti-aging regimens, quite drinking and smocking and start excising. And I don't know a single guy who use sunscreen without a reminder!
As to the best antiage solution, my recommendation is martial arts (yoga will do it also, if you not into fighting - LOL) + Rodan and Fields skin care. Works just like magic!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 'Younger' older women. Why?