Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Dating someone younger.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chmraptor
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have been given this suggestion by quite a few people lately. "You should try dating someone younger." There reason for this idea is most girls my age ether have kids already and don't want any more or, if they do not have any, don't want any at all. Having a family including (a) kid(s) is something I want. Seems I spent to much time with the wrong person in recent years believing that was going to happen. So i am entertaining the idea. With that said I'm not looking for someone just to have a kid with. I still want the right person regardless of age. Over the last year I have dated a few girls that where younger then me. As young as 22, I was 31 at the time. The few that i dated that where much younger where simply not the right match for me. Aside from that I didn't see it working because of the gap in age. Two people with an age gap of 5-10 years can coexist and interact as adults. It is true thou what they say, nothing makes up for experience. An age gap of 5-10 years doesn't seem like a whole lot as an adult until you really sit down and start sharing and comparing life experiences. You suddenly come to the realization that, yes this person is a mature adult, but they have a lot more living to do before they reach the same point in life that I am at. So while I am open to this idea, I have had some experience with it and I am skeptical. Have any of you experienced dating someone younger? Or do you know anyone that have meet and have a long term relationship and or marriage with someone that is significantly younger then they are? I'd like to hear from both men and women.
 abelian
Msg: 2
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/28/2012 10:22:45 AM

The few that i dated that where much younger where simply not the right match for me.

Well apparently, neither are the women your own age, so I don't see why you're singling out age as being a problem.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 3
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/28/2012 11:35:32 AM

It is true thou what they say, nothing makes up for experience.

"Experience" at what?

Age is simply a chronological measure of the number of years you have been on the planet.
It does not automatically have any bearing on what you have done with those years.
What experience does a 50 year old who has never left the small town they grew up in have, versus a 30 year old who has seen the world?

The few that i dated that where much younger where simply not the right match for me.

What made you decide that? Was it JUST their age? Or they didn't share the same values? Or same lifestyle? Or same goals?

charlie_girl_2
Msg: 4
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/29/2012 7:20:20 AM
OP... your question, obviously is important to you... but please, please do a subject search before doing so again. This age thing by older men who feel they have to discredit women of their own age in order to justify (in their minds), dating younger women -- has been done over and over and over. Also the age threads about women dating younger.
And the threads about younger wanting to date older.
Soon it becomes a gender-bashing topic.
I hate it!
You are looking for approval to date younger women.
Who cares!
Just do it.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 5
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:10:40 AM
Two of my best friends are married. He's 45. She's 30. Great relationship, perfect pairing. If anything, she is more mature than he is. It is all dependent upon the individuals involved. Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Ritchie Blackmore and Candice Night. I'm sure there are many, many others.
 mike_bass
Msg: 6
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/31/2012 6:12:26 PM
Well iv got to say it I'm 44 and iv bin dateing a girl that is 23 we bin together for 3 years and its over as of last week she cheated on me never agen will I go with such a age gap
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 7
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:41:25 PM
the natural order of things is for men to date younger women and take younger wives... i have been all over the map age wise with my dating, but ya, younger is typically better for men...

that doesn't mean every younger woman you go out with will be a perfect match, but still in the long run....its supposed to work better for both involved.
 xrenee22
Msg: 8
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:31:01 PM
Try someone younger it can never hurt. I find myself attracted to older men.. my last relationship the man was 20 years older then me. We had a blast but things just didn't work out.. never hurts to try
 vampyreshadow
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:51:17 PM
My ex coworker is dating a 24 year old guy, shes 37 seems to be working ok for her, been together for 4 years now. I got lots of offers on that, but I won't do it.
 trh1268
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/10/2012 8:34:08 PM
If two people enjoy each others company and accept each other regardless of age, that's all it counts 1+1=2
 PutYouOnBlast
Msg: 11
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/12/2012 8:33:53 PM
It would make a lot more sense to expand on your thread and include the people who have dated older, them being the younger person in the relationship. Asking them what they expected, what they hoped for, and if they were mature enough to handle a relationship with a mature older person.
 shaggy458
Msg: 12
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/13/2012 6:21:41 PM

The last few guys I have dated have been 5-8 years younger than me. I haven't felt the age difference. I'd usually date older guys, but now it seems guys my age and older have kids and are divorced - and that's just not my thing

I'm 37 and I've never been married and don't have any kids. So I'll be moving to Chicago shortly. LOL!

But seriously folks, sometimes age is just a number. I have a friend who is about 15 years younger than me and I would possibly date her if she was willing. Sometimes you have to ignore the age and just go with personality and character.
 KevinniveK01
Msg: 13
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/13/2012 7:40:47 PM
Three years ago, when I was forty, I got involved with a 53 y/o woman who looked my age. It was a fun and memorable seven months, but the age difference did bother me. I kept thinking "when I'm 47 she'll be 60!"
When I was thirty I started dating a beautiful eighteen year old and we had a good three year run. It didn't fade because of the age, it just became clear she wasn't right for me.
I'm now trying to get with a girl who's thirty-three that I became friends with and we get along splendidly with great chemistry ... the only problem is she lives with someone. This is a tough one ...
 acsmith72
Msg: 14
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/20/2012 9:13:33 PM
I almost exclusively date younger. I have nothing against girls my own age, but I've made some poor choices in life, and had some things happen that weren't my fault and younger girls are more forgiving. Girls my age EXPECT me to have a decent job, a house, lots of money in the bank, and to be looking to get married. Those aren't things I can offer right now. PLUS, younger girls seem to like to have a lot more fun. In every way. I still like gaming, some of the shows I like are cartoons (Family Guy, etc), I like going out at night, I rarely go to bed before midnight, and they're the same way. Girls my age usually hit the hay by ten, they don't want to go out, they hate cartoons of any kind, fun seems to be going for long walks and talking about feelings. Yuck.

Yes. I fully admit I'm immature. I also look ten years younger than I am, so it all evens out =)
 Frogy27
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/21/2012 6:03:35 AM
as of now my datein range is 25 to 31 i wont date younger then 25 because 18 to 24 girls just want to party way to much and cant keep ther legs closed and over 31 ur only going to be to colse to my mom age age is not just a number i mean if ur 40+ and ur datine some one under 25 thats just so wrong its ether about the sex our money
 acsmith72
Msg: 16
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/21/2012 7:37:57 AM
I should have posted the range I date women: 27 to 39. Preferably around 27 to 30, though.
 kire122881
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/24/2012 2:42:22 PM
I'm 30 and would pretty much would only date someone younger.
Its not a looks thing, more of a life-goals and outlook thing.

I'm not looking for a party girl (believe me, I've met plenty), but I'm also not looking for some thirty-something woman who has come to the realization that: "Oh cr@p, I just partied away my twenties dating bad boys...time to snatch up some good guy and have kids with him before its too late".

No thanks, not interested in being the guy that a girl has to "settle for".

Basically, I'm more likely to find someone who still loves to have fun, hasn't lost that zest for life, isn't completely jaded and cynical, and whose priorities are compatible with mine, among the younger group than those my age or older.
 fall-blossom
Msg: 18
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 5/12/2012 8:37:59 AM
I have been seeing a much younger lady than me, it has been pretty much a nightmare to talk to her. I would say avoid it, it could be a fun time for about a second.

I hear you. One much younger man I went on a meet & greet with bored me to death talking about him roommate's troubles. Then he went on to tell me about his mental problems. He was cute with a chiseled face and a tight body. Spending time with him made me feel like I was a very young woman again with no life experience and since that is a phase I've already been through, it was strange. I did see him again a couple of times and it was better, but he shared with me he was getting to know a younger woman than himself and was honest. There was no way he and I could have had anything serious together.
 abbeydave
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 5/13/2012 3:10:29 PM
This is my first post to any of the POF fora, so please forgive me if I don't comply too well with the rules. I discovered them only today, although I've been on this site for a few years now.
But here goes:
As you will see from my profile I'm now 81 yrs old, and was widowed 7 years ago.
Since then (and after a decent interval) I have dated many ladies from this site, some of whom were MUCH younger than me. I can honestly say that the young ladies were much more fun and good company than the older ones, (most of whom were looking to be taken on holiday to exotic places). I LOVED the endless, mindless chatter; the total lack of awareness of current affairs, and the sheer lack of worldliness in the younger ladies - well, girls, really.
I don't do s*x any more, so I was no threat to them - I made this clear at the outset - and so far as I know they were getting their needs satisfied elsewhere. This was no problem for me as my attraction towards these girls was purely platonic. But I loved their company, liveliness and sheer joie-de-vivre.
I enjoyed taking them out for meals. Few had ever been to anywhere other than Macdonalds, so were able to enjoy what was to them a completely new experience.
 DomG79
Msg: 20
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 5/14/2012 1:15:31 PM
I have been given this suggestion by quite a few people lately. "You should try dating someone younger." There reason for this idea is most girls my age ether have kids already and don't want any more or, if they do not have any, don't want any at all.

This is what I go through as well. The younger girls typically have less children. There are women who are only a few years older than me that have grandchildren. I have none, but I think I'd like to one day. At this point, I'd be glad to just meet someone that feels the same way about me as I do about them. Unfortunately, the child thing could be a factor down the road.

I quit dating women under 25 because they are immature, want to party, drink, go to bars and clubs or they spend most of their going to college. I know in college every women I tried to ask out told me they had no time for a man in their life because they were going to school and working 1 or more part-time jobs in pay for school. I hated that so much. It still happens today with more older women saying they are going for another degree, master's, phd or to go finish up school. I am not waiting til their 35 or 40 to date some woman just because she puts her schooling and career first. A woman has to have time for me and when I speak of time I mean being together more than once a week.

You covered pretty much every key demographic. I am in school, but if there is someone I want to date, I make time for them. Women are also capable of doing this. If you can prove you are worth her time, you can make it work. If she is worth your time, you can make it work. Hell, I'd rather be with someone who is ambitious and does stuff than with someone who has no direction in life.
 techguy
Msg: 21
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 5/16/2012 11:59:31 AM
I find myself looking for younger women now too. I almost feel like I have no choice. All the women my age are married and have kids. I'm not ready for either.

But like you said, you can't date younger women when they get too young because the age gap becomes noticeable. Most younger women aren't interested in older guys anyway.

It feels like I somehow missed the boat. :(
 barky bark
Msg: 22
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 5/17/2012 5:55:34 AM
I'm almost 50. I was 37 and my ex-wife was 23 when me met. We were married for 8 years. It was wonderful and I thought I was going to be married 'till death did us part. I go into relationships with a little more caution and no expectation now.

I recently dated a woman 24 years younger and one 9 years older. There's going to be ups and downs in any relationship but I think you can make it work in any case.
 remaining_optimistic
Msg: 23
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 5/18/2012 2:14:27 PM
This is going to sound bad but i bumped into an old friends little sister awhile ago. We got to talking she gave me her number without asking for it. I didnt think anything of it becasue she is a good 10 years younger then myself and i fiqured she was still into the party bar and club phase of someone that age. Well she saw me on FB onenight and we got to chatting online and she asked why i never called her. I told her the same exact thing as i typed above. Well i was a little surprised when she told me the exact oppisite. She has a good job very rarely goes out on worknites if she does shes home by 10. friday Saturday nights she will go out more and latter but who doesnt do that when they dont have to work the next day. She shares a lot of similar views and values as myself. Enough of that i was really taken back that someone of that age could really be more mature then a 28 and 35 year old i was just talking to and hanging out with. So in all age really is just a munber you really need to get to know the person. I myself very rarely pass judgement on someone till i get to know them. Im kicking myself for doing it this time.
 shaggy458
Msg: 24
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 5/19/2012 4:47:10 AM
I'd be kicking myself, too. Is there any possibility of dating her? If so, I'd go for it.
 remaining_optimistic
Msg: 25
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 5/19/2012 9:46:51 AM
Trying to get to that point. Ive asked her to go grab food or a drink a few time now in the last few weeks. She has been sick off and on for the last two weeks or so there is a nasty bug going around here and it also killed me for about a week not long ago. Im going to try and nail something down for one night this week.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Dating someone younger.