Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > A date with the unemployed...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 the_jaywalkr
Msg: 1
A date with the unemployed...Page 1 of 1    
So last weekend, my cousin tried to hook me up with her roommate. She is definately cute and date-able but the problem is that I am recently unemployed (within the last 2 weeks). Of course my cousin waits until I'm unemployed to give me this girl's number. I've never met her roommate, So now, here I am with her phone number, but I haven't called her yet because I don't want to make a bad first impression. On the flip side, I got a good severance package and will be fine financially for over the next 6 months while I'm looking for a job.

To all the ladies in the room, how does finding out a guy is recently unemployed effect your initial opinion of him? Especially on a first date. Keep in mind, I'm not a slacker. I have a bachelor's degree and until 2 weeks ago, was making over 40k/yr for a Fortune 100 company. Please don't hold back with your opinions. Should I call her up and be honest or should I hold off and call a couple months from now when I have a new job?
 mrmisterme
Msg: 2
view profile
History
A date with the unemployed...
Posted: 3/30/2012 3:06:22 AM

You have a car, have income coming in there is no reason to wait.

What income? He's unemployed! You don't get paid if you don't work, and it takes a while to get Unemployment checks.

Introductions might be fine, but dating? No.
 Wise_Monk
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2012 7:18:24 AM
Even being unemployed, you may still be doing better than her anyway, provided you saved your money well, combined with your severance, and your eventual unemployment insurance.

I bought a house once when I was unemployed. Paid cash. I was able to do it because I saved and invested well and still had a substantial savings to live on after the purchase. Another job came along soon after, and everything remained fine. Everyone's situation is different, so don't let other's perceptions prevent you from living.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/30/2012 9:34:05 AM
call her up, take her on a date if she says yes...

you never know, she may have been unemployed recently and can feel your pain.....

hell if you listen to everyone and their notions that having a JOB is a prerequisite to date..... heck... some would say at 40K you should be making more money to date.

I mean I was unemployed a couple years ago, had a 7 month severance, had been making almost 100 a year and had almost 100 in savings and investments...

so was I undateable ?

gimme a break... lol

in this economy...
 the_jaywalkr
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/30/2012 9:36:48 AM
@Landra2

You said that you would be turned off by my "skewed priorities" and "unrealistic view of the current economy"? Please explain. Are my priorities skewed because I'm looking for a relationship while unemployed, or because you perceive that to be more important to me than finding a job? Do you think it is unrealistic for me to find a job in 6 months?

I am well aware of the state of the economy, but I am also well aware of my resume and what I'm capable of. I am also well aware that I will meet many other women after this is done. As far as my "immature attitude", I simply wanted to hear a female opinion on my current situation. Period.
 the_jaywalkr
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/30/2012 11:39:36 AM
@ IronBelle

I know and agree with everything you've put on here. Perhaps I'm just a bit jaded because since College, all of my jobs have been back to back with no unemployment in between. I suppose I've been fortunate since I was hired at some of the first companies I applied for. Since college, this is the first time I've been without work.

I agree with you that 40k isn't a ton of money, but it's more than most of my friends were making out of college. Alot of them are still looking or severly under-employed several years later. So I know the market sucks, especially in Florida -- I used to live there, plus everything there is much more expensive. If anything, for the past 3 years, I have been "that guy willing to work for less".

In addition to my severance, I have other money that I've set aside for such occasions. Obviously y'all don't know this, but I am actually very conservative with my money. I have no debt, paid for my last car in cash and have a decent investment portfolio. I have no intention of blowing my severance on a gold digger or out at the club.

The only money I spend on things other than expenses is going out with friends once or twice a week. I figure if I can do that without breaking the bank, I can go on a few dates every now and then. After all, now I have time for such things.
 the_jaywalkr
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/30/2012 11:49:12 AM
@ raina-kd

That is a very good point and something else to consider. Under no circumstances would I let her pay (I'm not a charity case) and I don't want her to feel awkward about me paying for her.
 Wise_Monk
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2012 1:36:07 PM
40K isn't a lot of money? Hmmmm, well it's all related to the cost of living where you live and your ability to save. Where I live, you can live like a king on less than 40K, provided you have even a shred of saving ability. What Americans especially fail to realize is that what you make is not as important as what you're able to save.

Many years ago, a few of my friends were making 3 and 4 times what I was making yet were always broke. I bought my first house at the time and never made more 30K before then. They asked me how I did it. My answer was simple: I saved more then I spent, and didn't create unnecessary debts.

Yes, I know that's a novel concept for most Americans to grasp, but if we did that more a lot of us who do make decent enough money wouldn't still be somehow living paycheck-to-paycheck. I mean, I understand when it's a medical issue, or you make practically nothing like mininum wage or close to minimum wage, or you've been out of work for years because that can knock you off your feet; believe me I know, I've been there. It's when people have none of those issues and yet somehow can't manage their money properly that I don't understand.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > A date with the unemployed...