Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do older women still act as feminine and older men as masculine?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Do older women still act as feminine and older men as masculine?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I haven't noticed any change in myself or the men I dated. Of course I never did the play the helpless lil lady.
 Walts
Msg: 3
Do older women still act as feminine and older men as masculine?
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:06:23 AM

, have you noticed a difference in how someone of the opposite gender acts -- a woman's mannerisms seeming less feminine or a man's behaviour less masculine,

I don't really see the "less" feminine or "less" masuline in my age group. In fact,I find that a few women are still living like we are in the 1950's but, that has nothing to with being "feminine" at all. They "proclaim" about the strength and independence, but quite a few show me differently. They are still in transition to the 21st century.(where's those funny faces anyways?????)
 russell5417
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:36:26 AM
Whilst browsing the profiles this morning, I stumbled upon this profile of a lady who is 64 years old and absolutely gorgeous .

Of course I had to send an email off to her to tell her how beautiful she is just in case she didn't know.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:07:37 AM

Of course I had to send an email off to her to tell her how beautiful she is just in case she didn't know.

russel ... I'm sure you've read the forums enough to know that women delete messages like that.

Women would rather you read their profile and commented on their persona, not their appearance.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:26:59 AM

russel ... I'm sure you've read the forums enough to know that women delete messages like that.

Women would rather you read their profile and commented on their persona, not their appearance.

Jeepers, Not me.
I like getting compliments. Sincere ones anyways.
I do delete the "yo, nice hat, ur cute" messages, but
messages from a contemporary just commenting on
my picture of my forums posts? I'm okei with that.
 laskoboo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:35:28 AM

Do older women still act as feminine and older men as masculine

in a nutshell, some do and some don't.

Much can be said as to what they were when young....
as a biker dyke woman when young when be a biker dyke woman when older with her femininity
and a femme man willl be femme when older. People generally do not change these things as to level of fem or masculine.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:47:27 AM
I am just as feminine today as I was @ age 16...I don't think age has anything to do w/ it...my Grandma Tessie never cut her hair real short, dressed nice, used creams & moisturizer till the day she died...why shouldn't I?
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:01:34 AM
Whilst browsing the profiles this morning, I stumbled upon this profile of a lady who is 64 years old and absolutely gorgeous .

Of course you did. I think that was a lovely gesture. I would have appreciated an e-mail such as that and would most definitely, not have deleted it ~smiles~

...mae
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:22:29 AM
It all depends on the person. I've seen middle-aged women still maintain their femininity and stay fit, while others have totally lost their sensuality as they've gotten older. They gain weight, chop off all their hair, stop wearing cosmetics, stop wearing dresses and skirts and high heels, and shuffle around in tennis shoes and pants all the time.

It's the same way with the middle-aged men. Some stay in shape and remain youthful and active, while others get paunchy and out-of-shape, or develop stooped posture.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:39:18 AM
It all depends on the person. I've seen middle-aged women still maintain their femininity and stay fit, while others have totally lost their sensuality as they've gotten older. They gain weight, chop off all their hair, stop wearing cosmetics, stop wearing dresses and skirts and high heels, and shuffle around in tennis shoes and pants all the time.

I'm so glad u posted that part about "chop off all their hair"...I wanted to adress that also, but I once used that phrase in another thread & got ripped a new one, LOL! In general, the chop masculine-izes women, BUT there are some I've seen in here who would look feminine bald w/ a mustache, like Michelle Phillips & Mia Farrow looked so pretty w/ short hair & some regulars in here do too.

I love skirts/dresses, makeup, perfume, nail polish, having hair to at least my shoulders, jewelry, nice clothes, & romantic gestures. I do not like having to watch what I eat, but do it, not just for looks, but health too. Around the house I may sport a ponytail & yoga pants w/ an old baggy tee & be barefaced, but I wouldn't go out that way unless it was a midnite run to W@lm@rt!!!

PS MAE, u would look feminine bald & in a burlap sack!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/5/2012 10:45:08 AM
...You have to have the face to have a short cut...like Hallie Barrie. She can pull off short short hair and look both feminine and sexy. Not many can do that. I know I couldn't go that short. But I like the look and no way do I think it looks masculine.

I too love skirts and dresses...it's a treat to "dress up" Not often do I get the chance anymore.

PS MAE, u would look feminine bald & in a burlap sack!

Ya think? I don't know about that but thank you anyway. ~smiles~

...mae
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:57:41 PM
The older I get, the more I love dresses, lipstick, perfume.....if I have to act like a man at work, I certainly don't want to act like one in my private life.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/5/2012 2:10:03 PM

Does beauty equal femininity? I have known feminine women who were not beautiful, and I have known women who lacked femininity who were physically attractive.

chop off all their hair,

Hair, whether one wants to deny it or not, is a marker of femininity and sexuality. Many, if not most, women of a certain age do cut their hair very short and often spike it--they used to get the tight perm. While short hair can be very feminine (Halle Berry comes to mind), combined with other factors, it can also make a woman look less feminine.
 laskoboo
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 3:36:03 PM
there is nothing that ages someone as weight... women with matron like builds and guys with beer guts............
add to this other de-sexual issues like butch haircuts on women and long hair on men...

lets just say it can get very ugly. People who keep trim and fit, always do better in the way of having more options in dating. Nothing will ever change that.
A guy can weigh 300 pounds and he will still want a trim and femme looking female ... unless he is just having sex to release, then it would not matter.

big butch girl meets handsome fat guy. thats only on TV, as comedy, not real life.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:02:08 PM

there is nothing that ages someone as weight... women with matron like builds and guys with beer guts............
add to this other de-sexual issues like butch haircuts on women and long hair on men...

lets just say it can get very ugly. People who keep trim and fit, always do better in the way of having more options in dating. Nothing will ever change that.

I am overweight. In the time that I have been single, I have never had a problem attracting men on or offline. I know thin/fit women my age and younger who consistently bemoan that they are never approached by men or that men are not interested in them. I also know that many thinner women (and men) who are my age look older than I do--I don't believe it is because I looked younger than 59, but they look older.

Being overweight does not "de-sexualize" anymore than being thin (for women, lacking pronounced breasts and hips) "de-sexualizes." Being thin/fit does not guarantee an attractive face or an engaging personality.

And note, I mean overweight--not morbidly obese.

A guy can weigh 300 pounds and he will still want a trim and femme looking female .

He can "want" all the trim/femme women he would like, but the reality is that he will settle for someone less aesthetically appealing.
 laskoboo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:40:24 PM

holycowwow, we got it. Fat people look disgusting to you. What does that have to do with the topic?

did you miss the femme and masculine part? / females with dyke haircuts and matron like builds... older men with long hair.
it had to do with femme and masculine and aging.
not just the grossly obese, which are not a top pick for most in the dating arena.
That is just generally common knowledge
 omineca_2005
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:41:05 PM
I think women worry more as time rolls on. I am not so sure that the confidence is the same in women as in men. This does not mean that older men do not find older women more attractive- because we do! It just means that the acceptance changes.
 russell5417
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:42:21 AM
msg 9........U make it..........I know that many women do delete messages like that, and I can see their point in doing so.

But.... sometimes I just can NOT help myself. And more often than not, I'll receive a "thank you for the compliment".

And as long as the "thank yous for the compliment" appear as sincere as the compliment was itself, I'll continue to take my chances every once in a while.

:)
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:57:47 AM

did you miss the femme and masculine part? / females with dyke haircuts and matron like builds... older men with long hair.
it had to do with femme and masculine and aging.
not just the grossly obese, which are not a top pick for most in the dating arena.
That is just generally common knowledge

1. "Dyke"? Can we be anymore insulting? As I said earlier, some women with short hair can be very feminine--it depends on the style of the cut, about their bearing, and also, the way that they dress. Speaking from experience, many men love long hair, but a woman who has unhealthy hair should not wear it long. As women age, they lose estrogen, and this often affects the health of their hair. Some of us are exceptions, largely due to genes.

2. "Matron like builds"? How about young women who are hefty? I see loads of young women who are fat and do not appear "matronly" because of their weight. Women appear matronly for how they dress.

3. Long hair on a man of any age is not feminizing. However, old guys with the skinny ponytails should give it up; so should women with long but unhealthy hair (of any age).

It also seems that you equating feminine/masculine with sexiness or even attractiveness. A woman can be matronly be still be very feminine, eh? Why not?
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/6/2012 7:27:26 AM
This is no act. It's the hand that I was dealt. I'm just going with it.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/6/2012 3:32:41 PM

I was never the 'helpless lil lady' either.
looking feminine does not make one helpless. There is a feminine looking woman in here who has her pilot's license & I bet she is anything but "helpless"!
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:05:54 PM
Duh? Helpless is the game a woman plays to appear feminine, and no it doesn't have anything to do with actually being feminine, but many women do it. Most on here understood what I meant, I didn't think I had to explain it. As long as I am having to explain I will also say it is usually a ploy to get everyone to do things for you.

It amazes me that it is the women insulting each other on here. Meowrrrr
 DragonBits
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:27:30 AM
IMO this whole thing about a women appearing helpless is tied to a man's sexuality.

Most men need to feel confident and in control to be able to maintain an erection. Certainly psychological problems can cause a kind of ED. Younger men have so much testosterone floating in their bodies they don't often get affected by psychological problems, so it is less of a problem in young men.

This IMO is the reason "helpless" females appeal to many men, regardless of the reality of the situation. And why aggressive assertive women are often avoided. Not by everyone, but it happens enough to be noticable.

It's difficult for me to comment on older women acting feminine. I can only see what people say on forums, and everyone sees the same info, I don't have a lot of personal info.

As for myself, I was never strongly masculine when I was younger, I have always liked talking about relationships, watch a some chick flicks, etc, never was into watching sports on TV. Now that I am older I am probably more masculine than when I was younger.
 DreamyMaryAlice
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 5:37:05 PM
i'm still the way i was when i was a kid, but my parents were old fashioned people, had to dress they wanted, i was mostly dressed up like a boy, so i was a tom boy kinda girl, still like wearing sporty clothing like puma, i never liked wearing dresses or skirts, so i wear jeans, capris, shorts, t shirts, had nothing but brothers, so i had to be tough like them
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:14:56 PM
I've always been a girly girl when it comes to dresses and makeup, but my brain seems androgynous - a common trait of females with Aspergers. My femininity is directly proportionate to a man's masculinity in my presence.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do older women still act as feminine and older men as masculine?