Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Would you spend money to upgrade a home you don't own?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would you spend money to upgrade a home you don't own?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If you are going to stay there a long time, sure, throw a few bucks at the place. As a lifelong renter, I have always added a few personal touches (ceiling fans, wall tiles, etc) and painted my kids rooms the colors they wanted them as long as it was allowed. I always asked the landlords first, and sometimes they even reimbursed me!!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Would you spend money to upgrade a home you don't own?
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:09:53 AM
when I've rented houses, I've asked permission for the landlords first and was occasionally reimbursed ... we've done all the usual painting indoors ... replaced a few windows ... front door once ... we ALSO refinished the oak hardwood floors in one house which turned out to be a MUCH bigger task than it first looked but the result was magnificent ... we lived in that house for six years and really enjoyed those floors ...

made me feel like I was a part of the house, even tho we hadn't actually owned it!
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:36:13 AM
Well it depends.Depending if I really Liked location/area/neighbours,LLs Apart&Rm etc..than if permitted..I may use abit cash to make apart/rm as into a'Home'I could call as & enjoy to part of my life's hopeful content for me.Otherwise if I wasn't happy etc..couldn't do it perhaps on somethings.It would just be as it were with what already have.Maybe inquire on repairs & the like but not to extent seeing it could be a house etc.Just it would be shelter a place merely its an apart to reside in.No more no less unless there's changes.
But if'rich'&able ah to'upgrade'..I would have a studio a condo,cottage a house though not owned.All to my love(to my liking)to build/design/renovate etcs.Have marbled/wooden flooring,jade stone arches,peach painted/wallpapered walls & long hallways glass spiral staircase, ceremonial carpets,accessible neccessities i.e sunrooms & all that & more.Of course simple aparts.one can do only so much or maybe not..but simple is good.Make it mine my home my life &Etcs To Be Cont. Your sweet home is where your dear heart is.Its not forever but you can build memories & impressions of time you were there before during after
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/5/2012 2:52:38 AM
I think you should do whatever you want to make yourself comfortable -providing the landlord has given the all clear.

I've always owned my own house - I have always upgraded the home I lived in,not just with my eye on the value of those changes but with the objective of making the house work for me. If you are planning on staying a while, you should be happy in your surrounding and comfortable.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:04:16 AM
I agree with the others.

Make your mark, just be mindful on how much you invest.

With a floor .... buy a carpet.
Paint a wall ... colour makes you FEEL good.
Try to upgrade with things that you can take with you when you leave.

The surroundings around us increase or decrease our energy.
So yes ... being comfortable in your surroundings is very important.

I too am looking at selling my home, as it is now time to move on.
I may rent, as it is cheaper and a lot less responsibility.

And when I do ... I will make my surrounds conducive to me.
 laskoboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:26:37 AM

My question? Would any of you POFers spend your own money to make a place you don't actually "own" more to your liking? A place that you would plan to stay in for a very long time?

no.
I would find a place already upgraded or buy a place.
It would be a foolish thing to do since you do not own the place. I suggest you tell the landlord
you will sign a 5 year lease if the following are upgraded:
flooring
new paint ( color of yout choic)
and whatever else you see that can be upgraded, like water faucets, enrty doorknopbs with new locks, showerhead, thermostat control, celiling fans, garbabge disposal, etc....
 soicat
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:03:46 AM
Ask your landlord if they'll at least pay for the materials. I have a tenant who has transformed one of my rental places. I pay his account at the building supply place and he gives me all the original receipts which I give to my accountant.
 TooShadows
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:29:23 AM
I've done that in the past. If the landlord has no objection,go for it. Most landlords won't mind,especially if it's something that will raise the value of the apartment.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:43:44 AM
It's ludicrous, and most apt. complaexes won't let you even paint the walls, much less "upgrade".

Why would you spend your life renting, pouring that money down someone elses pocket, for years, and never owning where you live?

Go find a small, comfortable home and a small plot of land, and make your mark there.

I LOATHE apartment living. If I had the funds and a chance, I'd leave this apartment so fast the carpet would smoke. (It probably will anyways. I swear they use the cheapest POS carpet they can find in these places.)
 carolann0308
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:46:06 AM
Any changes you make should be submitted to your landlord and get in writing that they are acceptable.
I changed out all the switchplates, lighting fixtures and faucets in my last rental. There was no objection because they were absolutely upgrades. In retrospect I should have saved myself the money, because I did not stay there anywhere near as long as I thought I was going to.
 gigigrongbell
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:03:13 AM
Well I didn't look yet but I wanna see your picture. I have 4 eyes so am feeling a kinship already. I've been in my apartment for 6 years. I thought I would find a suite or a wee house but I like this place too. I am getting new paint and carpets this Spring so that will be a pick-me-up but I'd likely stay anyways. Why not spend a little and make it feel more your own? It's your money and another way to enjoy it. Don't apartments sometime get sold by the unit? Might want to find that out.
I owned a house, still do actually but he lives there with his nose hairs.
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:14:13 AM
Why not invest in a lovely area/Oriental rug that is portable?
At any rate, choose a color compatible with those nose hairs of yours ... Cuts down on vacuuming!
 MysteriaFemme
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:25:36 AM

I have an appointment with a realtor for tomorrow morning. I'm doing this just so I feel like I've covered all my bases. If she thinks my ideal little house is out there.......great, I'll go look. If not??? The next tenant that moves in here (when I'm dead) will be very happy indeed (provided, of course, they share my exquisite taste!! :)

You haven't been there that long. You are still in the honeymoon stage.

When you don't know what to do, do nothing. It seems you are still on the fence on keeping an apt or buying another house. You can love the apt and want to stay there forever but in the end it isn't up to you. My concern is that there is no guarantee the landlord/mgmt won't sell the house or building (don't take their word for it). You haven't been there that long. You are still in the honeymoon stages.

When I rented I always got it freshly painted in the color that I wanted. The longer I stayed then I would do little things here and there. (replace kitchen faucet).
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:37:05 AM
Smilies:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15172354.aspx
 OyVay...
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/5/2012 11:08:24 AM
I've owned homes, condo's and rented apartments. Currently I am renting an apartment. I came down 4 years ago and don't intend to stay here. So why buy, especially given the current condition of the real estate market.

Most of the reactions are learned, not felt. RE is supposed to be a good investment, who doesn't want to own their own home, tax benefits, freedom to do as you will in your home, ALL learned and may or may not apply to all of us.

If you are not raising a family, or feel the need to own, it may or may not make sense. Emotionally it also plays into that "acquisition of stuff" thing many feel!

If you want a house, buy one. If you like apartment living, check the condo or co-op market to make sure you could not do as well. BUT remember, a condo or co-op comes with fees, that may be almost as much as rent!

In my head, past 50, why some want the added burden of lawn, appliances, out side mainteance, snow removal if you live up north, makes me wonder, what benefits actually offset not having those resposnibilities.

If you find a home(whatever it is) and the location makes you happy, the space is right, and it's a rental. Why not do things to make it comfortable. In NYC I knew a few guys, who not only put down carpet and flooring, but even put in kitchen cabinets, and lived there for 15 or 20 years! It was the lifestyle they liked, and there was nothing stopping them from picking up stakes and moving with 30 days notice.

So enjoy, as long as the landlord allows it.
 lotustemple
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/5/2012 11:23:23 AM
When I rented, usually all the landscaping got redone. Window boxes, new flower gardens, shrubs, trees you name it. The yard or grounds is my ever growing ever changing canvas. I would get permission for something little then get carried away. Then I would be astounded to continually get unexpected rent reductions in houses and apartment complexes. Win-win. Hopefully your landlord can also appreciate your desire to be surrounded by beauty.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:10:17 PM
I would only enhance decor that I could take with me upon leaving if I were renting. It's something that was ingrained into my train of thought by my family since I could talk.

Ive been on the landlord side of the fence and most times when I would agree that a tenant could revise something, it would end up costing me a lot more when they left as Id discover they really screwed something up and now I was on the hook to repair the damage before I could re rent the unit. Towards the end of my being a landlord, I only allowed painting...and even then I would be mortified to see they had painted over gorgeous old wood trim. YIKES!

I can see why someone who knows they are staying for a long time would want to make it a home though.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:29:22 PM
If it's a place you know you (a) like and (b) will be staying in long-term, sure - toss some money at it. You'd do the same if it was a home with a mortgage, and when you sold that, you wouldn't expect to take all the improvements with you. Same rationale for this place. You pay for what you want with the knowledge that you're going to leave it behind when you move - just like when you sell a house. As long as the leaseholder is cool with it, there's not a problem.
 MysteriaFemme
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:33:57 PM

In my head, past 50, why some want the added burden of lawn, appliances, out side mainteance, snow removal if you live up north, makes me wonder, what benefits actually offset not having those resposnibilities

These are not burdens! (although I must admit I do not mow my own lawn). I love my garden! The entire neighborhood is out shoveling snow and we have fun - not to mention its a great workout! I don't have to live under a landlord's fair or not fair rules ever again! I don't care if anyone owns or rents but its their personal decision and renting (from past experiences) did not work for me.
 bethesdafoodie
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:39:36 PM
Talk to your landlord, see if you can get a concession in rent for improving the property.

Most landlords actually can write off upgrades to the property that they pay for! New carpeting, new appliances, new paint, it's all tax deductible for the most part and with the obscene rent many people pay it's fairly sensible for them to give either rent concessions or offer to pay for upgrades if you've been a good tenant.

I lived in a place for 7 years, never asked for anything, and when I moved out he tried to withhold the security deposit for carpet repairs, except legally he couldn't because of how VA's renter laws were set up and also the fact that we lodged complaints he never fixed.

The worst thing a landlord can do is choose not to renew a lease and say no when you ask about upgrades, and frankly a good landlord knows how to keep a good tenant.

I wouldn't spend a dime to upgrade a rental that isn't mine, if you're not happy with the living situation why did you sign a lease?

Maybe I'm unique for going to see over two dozen places before settling on one I liked recently, but doing due diligence either when renting or buying can save a ton of work down the road.

As to buying versus renting, I'm a big believer in only buying if you can truly afford the property upfront, if you're taking a mortgage you're not buying a property, you're renting to own the property.
 want to travel
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 12:42:19 PM
Most North American, do NOT own there home s
the BANK does, and yes they poor money into them
I am lucky, my ex and I both had money, bought and paid for our house in 10 years
so whatever happens our money is safe.....
but almost everyone I know including family, owe big time
 daynadaze
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:57:49 PM
I would. If I had the money and the owner was okay with it and I liked where I lived, why wouldn't I want to make it the way I wanted it...makes perfect sense to me. But I would do it knowing that it wasn't mine and I that I can't take it with me.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:22:55 PM

It's ludicrous, and most apt. complaexes won't let you even paint the walls, much less "upgrade".

Baloney. I've lived in very few apartments where I wasn't allowed to at least paint the walls, but I've usually rented from private owners, not complexs, and even of the two or three of those I've lived in, at least one had no problems with me painting and installing a ceiling fan, they even paid for it.

Why would you spend your life renting, pouring that money down someone elses pocket, for years, and never owning where you live?

Because in these uncertain times one never knows when they may find themselves out of work, or too disabled to work, and then a bank swoops in and takes it all. And when you rent, if something breaks, they fix it. If you are on disability or out of a job when you own and your furnace goes kaput or you need a new roof, you are SOL.

Go find a small, comfortable home and a small plot of land, and make your mark there.

And pray that you don't lose your job or a leg or something.......

I LOATHE apartment living. If I had the funds and a chance, I'd leave this apartment so fast the carpet would smoke. (It probably will anyways. I swear they use the cheapest POS carpet they can find in these places.)

It certainly isn't for everybody. For me personally, I love the fact I don't have to cut the grass or landscape. I love the fact that if my air conditioning or heater (or anything else) goes out, it gets fixed. Yeah, you get a-holes that move in from time to time, and sometimes it would be nice to have a huge backyard to sit in without a bunch of other people intruding. Then I think of having to mow that huge lawn, and I'm happy all over again.
 MysteriaFemme
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:02:33 PM
Because in these uncertain times one never knows when they may find themselves out of work, or too disabled to work, and then a bank swoops in and takes it all. And when you rent, if something breaks, they fix it. If you are on disability or out of a job when you own and your furnace goes kaput or you need a new roof, you are SOL.

When I rented my last apt I lost my job. The landlord's daughter was getting married and they were going to move into the apt. I had 2-3 months to move. Landlords won't rent to you when you don't have an income so I was SOL. Its traumatic enough to be out of a job but to be forced to move (even though you can afford to pay the rent every month) was more emotional turmoil. If I owned at least the bank would work with me or I could have sold my house (I am not over-mortgaged).

Owning a home isn't always for financial reasons!
 bethesdafoodie
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:48:49 PM

If I owned at least the bank would work with me or I could have sold my house (I am not over-mortgaged).

Owning a home isn't always for financial reasons!

Uhh.... You haven't really followed the economic crisis facing pretty much the entire world, have you?

The banks don't give a shit about working with people, they give a shit about looking like they work with people while they process over a million foreclosures.

Also having a mortgage is NOT owning a property, it's renting to own the property.

Also the idea that it's a worth investment is bollocks perpetuated by the housing market, the value of a home is only what people are willing to pay you for it, which is what leads to people getting in over their heads when there 1 million+ home is all of a sudden worthless.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Would you spend money to upgrade a home you don't own?