Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Hosepipe Ban - necessary evil?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Hosepipe Ban - necessary evil?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
the hose pipe ban will save about 6% of water - thames water currently loses more than 27% of water through leaks and yet they still make outrageous profits and prices keep going up? go figure!
 stonecastle
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Hosepipe Ban - necessary evil?
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:32:20 AM
By the way on a walk through Hyde Park recently I was disgusted to see the flowers being soaked with an automatic sprinkler when there is supposed to be a water shortage.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:02:34 AM
There are a lot worse things in life than not being able to use a hosepipe which is generally used for washing cars and watering gardens. People can still do both of these things but it takes a bit more effort using a bucket or watering can. I assume there are different regulations for farmers/business premises that require water ie hosing food production area, crop spraying.

Whilst I can understand the need to use hosepipe bans so that there is sufficient water for essentials, too much water is wasted every day anyway, I wonder about the 'contract to provide'. I don't know much about the English system (in Scotland you pay water/sewage rates together). When I lived in Lincoln the first house was just a standard rate but the second was metered and I saved quite a lot on the meter option.

Now I assume anyone in England who have a hosepipe ban but have metered water will pay less but I wonder what would happen if those paying a flat rate demand a refund for only getting a partial service. I assume there is something in the contract that says water can be restricted as and when deemed necessary.

The waterboards really do need to get their own acts in gear and replace damaged pipes/renew ancient systems but this obviously takes time and money. Many of us waste water every day and there is no excuse for that either. Meters are a good idea, it makes for a fairer charging system and might encourage some people to cut back on un-necessary waste. Too many people take water for granted, assuming there is a never ending supply in Britain.
 badge73
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:10:44 AM
the water boards are just a mafia cartel, as water is needed by everyone and can charge what they like with out any competition, for example im with severn trent and cant change provider like you can with electric or gas.

hardly seems fair does it?

edit vvvv must of been one of those things labour forgot to put right in the 13 years of power .... :rolleyes:
 Jo van
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:12:48 AM
One word: Privatisation.
Soon, the privately owned water companies will be able to put the price up even more.
Water is a basic human right, we shouldn't be 'held to ransom' by private companies, profiting from what is a a basic neccessity, for all, and any life.

Thank Mrs Thatcher,
And stop this Government continuing the project with the NHS.!!

Off-topic:
PS Light Star, I don't know if you've figured it out yet, but it's: colonangelcolon=:angel :
 Jo van
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:58:21 AM

Hosepipe ban? Does that mean that if my house was burning down the fire brigade will just stand there and watch? !!!

It's far worse than that M., they will also illegally re-heat their pasties!
 Trianon123
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:33:13 AM
If they are having hosepipe bans then you arent getting the service you are paying for - why pay? I reckon we should all threaten to go on payment strike till they show they are investing the dosh they get from us back into the infrastructure of water supply and the north should back up the south in sympathetic action - they would sort the whole thing out in a blummin fortnight if we showed a united front lol......
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:58:18 AM
Water is a basic human need but unfortunately getting clean water piped to your house is not a 'right'. As with any commodity, the more we want something, the more we will eventually be charged.

We don't have a choice if we want a clean, regular supply so we will continue to pay whatever is charged. Water from the sky is free, if you don't want to pay charges then use that - of course you would have to put in a catchment system, filtration system and whatever means to get it to the places you want. You could nip down to a local river in dry periods but the river probably belongs to someone so legally you might not be allowed to help yourself.

Although in certain circumstances other utilities can be cut off but people who do not pay water bills apparently cannot be 'cut off' but will be taken to court, get ccj's, stops on wages,bankruptcy, bad credit ratings or whatever so it's not really a great option.

It's only a hosepipe ban, not the end of the world. I'll worry when we get to the stage of standpipes in the street or only getting water for a few hours a day. I'd rather the water companies take measures now than wait until they have to restrict use in the house.

I agree with the previous post regarding de-salination. It works perfectly well in places that have very little rain but plenty of seawater, although I'm not sure what other conditions are required. However, it's not a cheap option and when I have holiday'd in places that use desalinated water, they tend to be very careful about water useage (cost maybe, or restricted supplies).
 Jo van
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:34:21 AM
Water is a basic human need but unfortunately getting clean water piped to your house is not a 'right'.

I think you'll find that it IS. That's why:

people who do not pay water bills apparently cannot be 'cut off'

But they only have to leave you a "trickle".
The water distribution network was paid for by the public,with public money, PRIOR to being sold into private hands.
The important thing for the owners now,(Many of whom are overseas) is dividends, and profits. They are not interested in reinvestment, or desalination plants, they like that water will be in short supply, that's exactly what they want, it keeps the price up.
It was the same with rail, electricity, Oil, gas etc. BT., and other publicly established monopoly utilities. (Like BAA., BA etc)

This NEW Tory Govt is currently trying to sell the NHS., and the Road network, and the Royal Mail, into private hands too, (as well as schools etc.)

That's because their biggest donors are the people who own, or would like to own these organisations. They give a few 100k to the tories, they get back a few million more. The tories believe that if the wealthy get even wealthier, we will all benefit.

Sadly, the only thing that "trickles down" is the BS., and verbal diarrhoea (sp?) of "We're all in it together".

We are truly "in it", while they are "in the money"...

Edit: v V V

some people really are obsessed with making every thread in to an anti-tory rant

so it's now the government's bleedin fault that it hasnt rained enough

When discussing the lack of investment in utilities, like Water, and those now being in PRIVATE Ownership, then yes, Nationalisation, which is/was entirely a Tory Ideology will come up.
It's not a "rant", it was a stupid idea, which we're all now paying for.(Through the nose)
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:58:35 AM
jo van - apologies, I made the error of believing that the rest of what I said actually clarified that it had to be paid for.

I should have said that getting clean water piped into your house for FREE is not a 'right'. It's like any other commodity - it has to be paid for. Just as those who build houses have to PAY to have the pipework to the house, people who use the water are obliged to pay for it or risk being taken to court for non-payment.
 Jo van
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:15:37 AM

jo van - apologies, I made the error of believing that the rest of what I said actually clarified that it had to be paid for.

I should have said that getting clean water piped into your house for FREE is not a 'right'. It's like any other commodity - it has to be paid for. Just as those who build houses have to PAY to have the pipework to the house, people who use the water are obliged to pay for it or risk being taken to court for non-payment.

No apology necessary GL.
I wasn't implying (I hope?) that you had said it was "free" in your post, I was making the point that the entire infrastructure was established and paid for, with public money, and it was then sold into private ownership.

In real terms, you pay about 10X as much for water now, as you did when we had the "Water Rates" element of our "Rates" Bills (Remember them..?) And the Local "Water Boards".
Water is now very expensive.
It used to be virtually free. (I remember paying £60 pA in about 1985)
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 10:11:47 AM
Scotland does still work on the water rates system but it all comes under council tax so one bill just with the breakdown for water and sewage which has gone up year on year - shocked the hell out of me when I moved to England and found out not only did I have to pay council tax but also water on top. I guess it balances out though, Scotland pays more for heating but normally have an abundance of water, England pays more for water but it's often warmer so less heating costs.

Saw on TV in the past hour that Water Boards haven't actually prosecuted anyone for breaking a hosepipe ban YET and are not planning to, of course the threat is always there. What I think IS wrong is that garden centres/grass growers are not exempt. These are businesses that rely on water as much as farmers (who are exempt). Maybe not seen as 'essential' as such but damned essential to those who work in the industry.

What is the difference between washing car with buckets of water or carrying watering cans round the garden as compared to using a hosepipe - it's a lot harder work so people make as few journeys as possible, thereby using less.

Most people water gardens completely wrongly anyway. For plants to benefit the most, they should be watered when it's cool, if you create a dip around the stem, water will pool there and gradually seep to the roots, if the water remains in the top couple of inches of soil the roots actually grow up to reach the water so suffer much more quickly in drought because they are near the surface and get burnt. With new plants, water well before planting, fill the hole with water and then plant so the water is where the roots are. New lawns are the exception, they have roots only about an inch down so they do need a good soaking virtually every day - better to lay a new lawn around Sept time, possibly into Oct in England - and there ends gardening time from Gem lol
 Tayfire
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 10:37:24 AM
I heard on the news that if some of the water companies sorted out some of the wastage by sorting leaks things might be better? As with previous posts, as long as the hydrants dont run dry you'll be ok.

Up here here compaired to last winter end/this year it's been very mild apart from mon, rain and tues snow.LoL Now cooler after last weeks sunshine.LoL
 matt e
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 11:28:53 AM
We should have a discount as we arent getting the full service.
 monty336
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 11:49:46 AM
oneonown has it right overpopulation pro rata to capacity of reservoirs, when i was a sea we took on people off sinking boat we had to cut back as we can only make 25 ton a day, and the extra passengers put more demand than ships capacity
 monty336
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 1:00:59 PM
we maybe surrounded by water , but have you tried drinking sea water, to convert sea water to potable water requires energy and expensive plants, also it is not the practice within the 12 mile zone unless it is for use in boilers, as certain parts of the coast treated sewage is disposed of
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 2:23:06 PM

we maybe surrounded by water , but have you tried drinking sea water, to convert sea water to potable water requires energy and expensive plants, also it is not the practice within the 12 mile zone unless it is for use in boilers, as certain parts of the coast treated sewage is disposed of

The Duke of Edinburgh has opened what is thought to be the first water desalination plant on the UK mainland.

The facility in Beckton, east London, is part of Thames Water's plan to tackle water shortages in the capital.

It said the £270m centre would deliver up to 140 million litres of water to 400,000 homes in a drought.

The plant will be run by using renewable biofuels such as cooking oil and waste fat in an effort to reduce its impact on the environment.

Drinking water will be produced by treating a mixture of sea and river water from the River Thames.

Thames Water said it built the facility to avoid a repeat of water shortages

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10213835
 monty336
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:24:25 AM
im not sure in the amount of pollution in inland waters i know some beaches are below bathing standards, at sea we have potable and distilled both thru evaporator, which boils water at 40c in a vacuum, one trip we was on dis tank and a idiot put on the evap on domestic coastal water stomach bugs all round, even thou it is passed thru ultra voilet light, at least thames water are making a effort
 beardo161
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 7:18:54 AM
Anyone want to share a shower with me?
This will reduce the water usage?
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 5:37:07 AM
OneonOwn - you must have read exactly the same article as me, only I couldn't be bothered with posting it lol

I haven't washed my car in 6 months, now I have a good excuse not to.

My garden is in Scotland and all the plants are well established so will have roots deep in the soil, apart from when they were newly planted, I never used to water them. Maybe garden centres need to start selling more plants suitable for dryer conditions. Grass growers will probably cut production and then increase later in the year, the warmer winters will allow lawns to be laid later - going to play havoc with all the gardening books though that give particular months for planting out etc.

Water companies won't give any refunds because technically there is no reduction in service. You can still use as much water as you want, it's just the method of moving it from A-B that has changed.

gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 5:53:43 PM
No worries Mayzeyh - my posts are still there - just a page or two back lol
 *rem*
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2012 9:15:11 AM

Somehow we never address the real problem. The one of overpopulation. We have enough water for a limited population. Build more reserviors and we take up land that could grow food.

You're having a laugh. Have you ever flown over the UK? People are packed into tiny dimensions compared to the vast amounts of land belonging to someone but doing nothing.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 9:15:03 AM
I remember a long time ago (probably before some of the posters were born, I think I was still at school) there were occasional water shortages, it wasn't every year but one year it must have got really bad.

There were huge water saving campaigns in the media. People were encouraged to 'bath with a friend', use showers instead of baths, save rainwater for gardens and even putting a brick in the toilet cistern so they didn't fill up with so much water. In some places, water was only turned on at specific times of day and in worst cases, standpipes in the streets.

People in the UK are so used to having as much water as they want, whenever they want it that to contemplate having to save any is abhorrent to a lot of people. Some people refuse to see that there are only so many people that this country can sustain comfortably.

Changes in environmental conditions mean that we have to start looking at changes in lifestyle. Farmers will have to start looking at different crops to grow that are resistant to drought and adapt their growing seasons, starting crops earlier or growing later, finding new crops to feed animals on (already some farmers are worried about grass shortages) new houses will have to have water saving features etc etc. The government should also be putting a lot more pressure on water companies to stop leaks and upgrade water pipes.

However, each and every one of us should be looking at our water usage and seeing where we can reduce waste in our own homes/workplaces. It isn't someone elses problem, it is a problem for everyone.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Hosepipe Ban - necessary evil?