Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
For some women it is a dealbreaker, so this is why phone conversations, and meeting as soon as possible are considered ideal.
 laskoboo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:12:59 AM
oh yes this matters very much... I have met nice looking men with some unusual voices and it was a turn off for sure.
High pitched, nasally, whiney, etc........... could not get past it, had to pass on them.

Do NOT think your being petty. someones voice is a part of them and what you will be hearing.......
not sure someone can get past a high pitched voice. maybe why he is still single, one of the things anyway.
best to you on that. As for myself, no way.
 _PassionFlower
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:24:30 AM
Yes, it matters to me. I met a guy once, and his voice was horrible....comes to find out, he had been in a wreck. I like a low tone....
 Pingshooter
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:32:30 AM
I don't think it's petty..but, did you perhaps assume something that wasn't ?

Because I live in the south, people assume I have a southern accent. I don't, yet I've lived here 25 years.

Is that aspect (voice/tone), a deal breaker?
Could be..depends.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:33:51 AM

it was very high pitched

You might want to suggest he try wearing boxers and get some loose fit jeans before you kick him to the curb.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:34:17 AM
I have a strong Latin accent. I have been rejected for this once in the past. Then I posted some new pictures and the same woman who rejected me was back trying to meet me in person.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:36:42 AM
People have been rejected for all kinds of reasons. Usually it's for being too ugly.
Ugly voice? Alrighty.
 Pinky127
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/6/2012 6:56:10 AM
Someones' voice is very important if you're going to be listening to them every other day.

I remember being totally shocked that a guy id been emailing sounded like Minnie Mouse when
we finally spoke on the phone *shudder*.
Even though it sounds kinda crazy it can be enough to turn someone right off
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/6/2012 7:34:33 AM
really feel silly telling him your voice doesnt do it for me.

No one *really* wants to be told the reason you're rejecting them (although some will insist that they do). Just let the guy down as nicely as you can without being specific or saying something really disingenuous like "let's be friends". How would you like it if you met some guy you were really interested in and before the 1st beers even got to the table he said, "gee I think you're an awesomely wonderful and attractive person but your tits just aren't big enough for me. SORRY, they looked so much bigger in your profile."
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/6/2012 7:48:30 AM

No.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/6/2012 8:28:32 AM
IMO a male w/ a high piched voice= effeminate
I wanna be the feminine one in the relationship!
 red_fir
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/6/2012 8:55:43 AM
Listening to Fran Drescher's "nanny voice" over a protracted period would be the sonic equivalent to having a tonsillectomy performed via the anal canal......
 daynadaze
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 1:41:28 PM
If it bothers you then it's not wrong for you to not want to get to know him. I wouldn't be brutally honest about something like this, no one needs to be told they are a big turn off because of something they have no control over, but just that you are no longer interested and move on.

Some voices annoy the crap out of me, also their grammar errors, so I move on along. It's not their problem, it's mine, but I would find it hard to date or be friends with someone whose voice bugged me.

On the other hand, if you think you can get past it without insulting him, and could find him wonderful enough to date, go for it. But I would not get serious about someone that had a voice I couldn't live with. Your findings may be different.
 36kenalee
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:12:03 PM
it does 2 me, finally got 2 talk w/ one of mine n he sounded like one of my good friends that had just passed away, ya i had 2 tell him it just wasnt going 2 happen
 Double Cabin
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:46:43 PM
Kites is of course right on the money. Kinda pschucks to have to wear ear plugs knockin' boots.

To fulfill the length requirement might I suggest given individuality that there are all kinds of things many of us will never be able to condition ourselves to not dislike, and its of course never gender exclusive. Although this one time...
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/7/2012 11:46:37 AM
omg... yes. To me, it does matter.

I have a ... well... a kind of fetish I suppose. Auralism where some sounds have a sexual connection to me.
Now dont freak out and make too much fun of me because afterall, Barry White has made quite the living off his voice and swooning women.

So, maybe you have a touch of auralism also. Nothing wrong with it.
Music for me goes beyond just making some noise for background distractions. The sound of a man's voice is extremely important within the world of D/s (for me).

...................... *glances around and screams "dont judge me!!"
lol.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 2:46:37 PM
Yes, his voice does matter.
 Fleuron
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/7/2012 5:52:20 PM
Yeah…..I’m trying to imagine a high man voice whispering in my ear…..uh, hmm, nah.

I do dig accents, though. Dreamy.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:23:25 PM
yeah ... I'm not so much attracted to or turned on by a Tiny Tim type of voice versus the Barry White voice ... now, Barry White would be LOVELY ...

my daughter was engaged for a long while to a man who had such a whiny little mama's-boy voice that I could barely stand to be around him ... I managed to never say, "oh, grow up and use your big-boy voice!" but I certainly wanted to! one day, my daughter looked at me and said, "I don't think I'm going to be able to stand that voice for the rest of my life!" thankfully ...

I wonder how many men secretly imitate Barry White ...
 russell5417
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:15:15 AM
What is really weird is when a persons looks and voice doesn't match the personality.

That often works for a comedian....but in real life, not so much.
 Ken_The_Man
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:50:00 AM
I think so, to the point where I even hinted at what I sound like on my profile. Women love it too lol, I used to do telecommunication and came to the realization after being hit on over the phone so much that I have an appealing voice.

It's crazy the things you can make happen with just the power of your voice.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2012 2:34:12 PM
For me, I can say his tone and everything else about how someone speaks matters. I was surprised at how much it does matter to me. I was married for a long, long time so it wasn't thought about until I heard several different voices that weren't right for me for one reason or another.

One example was someone who spent years living in Denmark. When we finally spoke I could only understand part of what he was saying because his accent was so heavy. He may have sounded wonderful to Danish women though. I basically ended the conversation with the "have a nice day "rountine ,not knowing what his last few sentences were.
 larissan04
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:54:05 PM
As someone who is very audio-oriented, I'd have to concur. Yes, the sound of a man's voice is very important. It is an integral part of attraction and sex appeal.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 12:54:58 PM
As much as the Op's question was rhetorical I'll add that as average looking as I am I've certainly found that my voice can turn heads. Most of us are predominantly visual creatures, but we have to listen to each other, and that sux if its not pleasant.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/17/2012 12:56:08 PM
Oh yes it does to me. I've been shocked at the tone of a man's voice many times. I chatted with a guy who was about 6'4" and 250 lbs and he sounded like Mike Tyson. Total turn off to me.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Does the tone of a mans voice really matter?