Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > How do you report a fake account?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Miss_laugh_alot
Msg: 1
How do you report a fake account?Page 1 of 1    
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to report a fake account?, Cant seem to find a direct link on the site.

I was contacted by a user who sent me a pic and his profile said certain information, when I met with the person I confronted them immediately telling hem that they were not the person they said they were etc and left. I later tried to contact that account as I thought it may have been hacked but have since beem blocked.

This user wanted to come directly to my home but I said no, that I would only meet them in public.
Dont want something bad happening to someone else so would like to report them. I may be being over cautious but hey, just in case!

If anyone can post a link or let me know how to report details it would be appreciated.

Cheers :)
 gcdeb
Msg: 2
How do you report a fake account?
Posted: 4/16/2012 12:10:24 AM
How were they not what they said they were?

There is a 'report user' button at the bottom of each profile but there is no option to report fake profiles so I am not sure you could use that method.
 Pinky127
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/16/2012 1:00:33 AM
Op,while i understand your natural dismay that your date had totally misrepresented himself.......if every one of us was to report those who had lied,sleazebags,those who'd used old photos,not-really-single men,bla bla bla....
Well,hopefully you get my drift!
You were savvy enough to not let a total stranger into your home but i doubt you can report him for being "Fake",else the number of Members on here would drop significantly.
 Miss_laugh_alot
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/16/2012 6:15:35 AM
Thanks for the responses guys :)

Will check out the report user button.

Yes I have only been on here a little while and yes I have met plenty of guys who have misrepresented themselves, lol, but I'm pretty savvy so not just a jaded chick that was duped!

I actually ended up going through some old emails as I just had this niggling feeling that something didnt add up. Turns out I have been contacted by two different guys using the same profile!
Was just a little worried they may target someone who is a little more naive and take advantage thats all.
 Robert
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/21/2012 9:15:12 PM

Lots of the men from the site misrepresent their age, height and weight.
Misrepresent may be the wrong word, because I think they genuinely still think they are 35 and 2 inches taller, and 20kg lighter than they are. Profile pictures are often badly taken, or quite old too...

In response to your statement of which i've quoted above 3ffervescent there is a topic in one of the dating threads that mentions about of alot of men (not me though) on POF who actually fabricate/ lie in their profiles and it gets them messages by the barrel load in their inboxes
 gingerosity
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 9:46:05 PM

FRAUD IS ILLEGAL!!!!

It is certainly immoral, but I think the laws you're talking about refer to defrauding money rather than pof profiles. I could be wrong...
 gingerosity
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 10:08:31 PM

possing as some1 ya not on the net is officially illegal

I know identity theft is a crime, but if they have created a fictional character I'm not so sure it is actually illegal. Of course it is totally reprehensible and self-defeating, but I have a suspicion cops would just shrug their shoulders.
 Hilly02
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/21/2012 10:49:16 PM
I would hardly think that saying you are a few years younger then you are, or a few inches taller then you really are, or any other of the millions of exaggerations and white lies on here, equates to fraud. Give me a break....its just what saddos do to get their rocks off. Can imagine coppers laughing their asses off, if someone rocked up to their station and complained about that.People exaggerate and lie...its life. Its not serious......unlike claiming your children belong to someone you have never met, or that you are sane when you are clearly not etc.
Just pass them by, leave them to their silly games and move on I reckon.
 PerfectionBK
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2013 12:45:38 AM
I for some reason can not find the report user button anywhere (even at the bottom of the fake profile). My name, and photos are being used to act as me and make me look like a disgusting person. I cannot find a phone number, email, or anything on who to contact to get that account down immediately! PLEASE HELP!
 gingerosity
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2013 12:54:51 AM
There's instructions here http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts8997484.aspx
Make sure you're logged in when you look for the report user link at the bottom of the profile.
If that doesn't work, talk to csr@pof.com
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > How do you report a fake account?