Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating a guy who doesnt talk about his feelings      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Dating a guy who doesnt talk about his feelingsPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I actually suspect that a part of why some young women do go for older guys, isn't due to the older guys looking better, or even their making more money.

I think part of it is that males seem to take longer to learn to be verbally eloquent.

In addition, at your age range, guys are in mid-rebellion against authority types demanding that they perform like semi-trained monkeys. Your requests for more verbalization might well cause him to shut down even more.

Will you always have to initiate? Maybe. Some people never get into verbalizing. The most common thing that happens at your age, is that either the woman gets tired of waiting for the guy to declare himself and leaves, or the guy gets tired of being told that he's an uncommunicative clod, and leaves.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 4
Dating a guy who doesnt talk about his feelings
Posted: 4/17/2012 8:47:02 PM
Maybe he is not sure yet how he does feel about it. It could be that he realy likes you but he needs a little more time to figure out how he feels about it.. Don't want to tell you yes or no yet.. 6 dates is not much to figure out if you meet the right one. I would say give him a few more dates before you start asking all those questions. You might just chase him away
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 10:06:37 PM
I am very open when it comes to discussion, but us guys don't really talk in detail about emotions. Most guys are not wired like that, I am definitely not either. If you want to talk about the direction of the relationship, I think you can find some common ground and see what he thinks.
 jmark4
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/18/2012 1:14:50 AM
you've seen this guy SIX TIMES! Already you are pressuring him to express his deepest feelings for you.

Whether you want to admit it or not, you have no idea what type of guy this is. Most psychologists agree it takes a year to really get to know a person. you've gone on 6 dates.

It's easy what to do. First don't come on so heavy. I'm not an open book at all and I dont like people making me into one. It takes time for people to earn my trust in any situation so people that pressure me will destroy that trust.

Listen to your words,"at least he shows his love for me physically". You've gone on 6 dates and you are throwing the love word around already. Of course he's physical; guys like sex and being physical!

He eventually wants something serious. You seem to be coming on like a ton of bricks. Take a deep breath relax and tell him you are interested in getting to know him better and that you'd like to be exclusive to see if there is something between you.

If the guy wont agree to it something is up, and I'd tell them that you understand but if he doesn't want to be exclusive then you say you respect his decision and you'd like to be friends.

If you chase him like a puppy dog then he will keep playing these games and you will stay no matter what. Dont' drop the L word and don't put so much pressure on him. Lighten up and you will get a much better outcome. I wish you the best.
 Maleman999
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/20/2012 8:24:55 AM
OP: Your biggest problem is you're dating the wrong gender. What you are after is a female chatty box who makes every topic like a life and death, drama filled epic movie-much like what high school girls do. I couldn't be with anyone who had an addiction for constant emotional drama.

The funny thing is when you two have your first fight-which will happen, guaranteed-you will wish he kept his emotions to himself. You may even break up over his emotional reaction to an argument.
 Maleman999
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/20/2012 8:25:11 PM
I have a non-reaction type of personality when it comes to movies and TV shows, and some women seem to be really bothered by it. I've gone to the show with my ex (before she was an ex) and on dates, and when a funny scene is shown or a joke is told, the women I've gone with would break out laughing out loud. Then she would look at me to see my reaction. I might find a scene or joke funny, but I never break out laughing. I might smirk at something funny, but that's about it. Suddenly the woman's laughter quickly turns to a state of total confusion and concern.

She will say to me: "I guess you didn't like it. Didn't you find that funny?" My response is: "Yeah. It was funny". Her: "So why weren't you laughing?". Me: "I'm not the rolling in the aisles with giddy laughter type. I never feel a need to shriek out at 100,000 decibels and act like I'm having a seizure to show my approval of a funny scene or joke." This creates even more confusion than before. It takes a woman a long time before she can accept the fact that I'm not a hyena high on crack when I watch TV or a movie.
 Frogy27
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 7:00:34 AM
feeling what are them i never talk our share how i feel any time last gf was with me 3 yr we fight all time over how i did talk our show how i feel. i said thats what the bedroom for we have sex i sleep with ever night. i dont need to tell you i love you our hold and kiss you all day and look like a dumb high school kid. feelings are for woman. hell i dont even cry. crying for babys and woman who cry at the drop of a hat. some guys wiill cry on ur shoulder like a little dogy and tell you ever thing the feel. men need to be tough and have no feeling in my book cant get hurt that way. but this is just how i view it
 Frogy27
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 7:06:39 AM
oh why oh why do you say that
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/22/2012 8:09:43 AM
Take it from a woman who doesn't like to be overly expressive about feelings, and tends to date men that are that if he was telling you how he felt about you a lot you might not be so sure what to do about it.

My advice is this...if things are going well, enjoy them. There's no need to discuss how well things are going, where you've been or where you're going all the time. There's also no need to always label or define all the time. It's also only been a short while...if you were together a year, I might understand wanting to know a bit more, but it's still in the initial stages.

Just....go with it and enjoy it. A lot of women (and a few men) can miss what's going on now because they are so busy trying to figure out what's next, what this is, what it should be. Enjoy the journey, don't focus so much on the destination.

If you want to date someone who talks about their feelings, date another woman. SOME Chicks talk about their feelingS incessantly.

Corrected.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/22/2012 6:56:45 PM
I read your post and then guessed your age. I was a year off.

The positive here is you are young and still figuring things out. At least you asked for advice. You got it and some good advice from what I read.
 Frogy27
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 3:32:24 PM
my dog ran off with my ex i felt bad for the dog was happy the ex left that dang dog ant got no brains
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating a guy who doesnt talk about his feelings