Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Levon Helm      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1
Levon HelmPage 1 of 1    
I came here planning to post to a thread that I'm sure would have been started.

I'm going to claim him as an honorary Canadian since he was the sole American in The Band. We've lost a great voice yesterday. They were one of the great bands and it's a time when I'm reflecting on the music of my youth. I was having a discussion recently about the bands that are made up of great musicians - which bands are made up of the best musicians regardless of the music they play. The ones I could list were all older bands, like The Band or Rush or Toto (I hate Toto too, but these were the best session musicians in LA who all formed a band. Lousy songs - great musicians). I'm just wondering if there's less opportunity for bands to hone their craft playing clubs now.
 CharminC
Msg: 2
Levon Helm
Posted: 5/15/2012 10:22:54 PM
I was saddened by Levon's passing, but happy that he and Robbie reconciled before the end. The combination of Robbie's songs and Levon's and Rick's vocals (sometimes Richard's) was incredible. Too bad we never got to hear Levon singing songs like "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" and "Showdown At Big Sky."

^^
Since Levon's passing I can't stop listening to "Up on Cripple Creek". Seems like yesterday I watched their movie thinking what bunch of good looking talented men. Levon passed at age 71 (am I correct)?
Bless his soul.

Robbie's songs , Crazy river and Big Sky are one of my all time favs. Levon would have changed the sound completely.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Levon Helm