Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Fish personalities not actual fish      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gingerosity
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Fish personalities not actual fishPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)

anyone else noticed the same thing and is similarly annoyed and amused by this.

No more than seeing "more in common with insects and ants" written as if ants aren't insects. I quite like irony.
 gingerosity
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Fish personalities not actual fish
Posted: 4/29/2012 5:07:37 AM
There are a lot of things in the world that are technically incorrect, and it is good to be aware of them. But at the end of the day it is just the use of creative licence for marketing purposes. Nothing to worry about.
 Buckets_of_Sky
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/29/2012 10:36:35 AM
If you are just merely amused by the 'fish' personalities here at POF and their meanings or lack thereof, so be it. So with that said and this being a public forum (or is that fora), perhaps you should have set some guidelines for replies?

Are we or are we not suppose to answer you query as we see fit? May we post other queries along the same line or add suggestion? Do we use past or present tense when replying? Please let us uninformed know the correct procedures and I will be happy to add my two cents .
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/29/2012 2:42:15 PM

Is it just me, or is there something profoundly and scientifically wrong with the fish personalities on this website?

No, as this site is not profound or scientific in any way, therefore any thing to do with the site could not be judged using that criteria.

I ask because I was looking at my profile, trying to improve it, trying to figure out what the deal with the fish personalities were...

It is impossible to improve your profile. (entirely another topic, therefor no need to extrapolate)

...Are we supposed to just guess or is there some deeper meaning there?

That is up to you, if you think it matters, then it matters, if you do not think it matters than it does not matter.

Are clownfish just pranksters who think everything is a joke? I don't know. So here I was thinking about the fish personalities and it occurred to me:

Many of the fish personalities aren't technically fish.

Technically they are stereo types, not personalities.

Dolphin is not a fish personality! It's a mammal personality! Similarly lobster and crab are anthropod personalities. They have more in common with insects and ants than actual fish! Similarly with octopus, star fish, and so on.

Ah the lobster, the c*ckroach of the sea.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 6:57:55 PM

Dolphin is not a fish personality! It's a mammal personality! Similarly lobster and crab are anthropod personalities. They have more in common with insects and ants than actual fish! Similarly with octopus, star fish, and so on.

I have a Danish friend and she taught me the expression "fly fukker". It's a reference to what you're doing above.... basically you are going out of your way to find the tiniest hole possible (in this case the fish reference is the "fly" and then you fukk it as hard as you can.
 LRB62
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/1/2012 7:27:42 PM
You are very astute. Good points. (or, is it "point"?)
 Blalah
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/2/2012 1:45:37 AM
"Seeking company on the adventure of life" is your headline.

Now my advice is if you want to continue along the "fun" lines is to not have pof dictate the rules to you but for you to dictate your own rules.
ala

<div class="quote">You are spoiling my amusement

Here is what I did in my past life/alter ego on here.
For my headline I wrote THE ONO which is a Hawaiian fish and literally means delicious. I got some replies that were all cool and one killer date I had said she thought it was the best profile that she had seen on here.

In response to your concern you oughta use some creativity and pick a name of a fish that is famous in UK that may exemplify a sexual or otherwise compelling meaning/innuendo/double entendre and use that in your headline - which will overide the pof fish ID tag.

***If this does not make any sense it was written under the influence of many a vodka oj. On the other hand I don't know why anyone would post on here without being halfway high.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:30:38 AM
Perhaps you are reading just a bit too much into "fish" personalities. If you take away hyperbole and metaphor, fish do not personalities, eh?

By the way, they aren't "star fish," they are "sea stars."
 RainGrimoire
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/10/2012 1:48:12 PM
I thought hammerhead fit me pretty good. Both in the animal's uniqueness, and in the possible interperetation of one who is hard headed or stubborn.
 Blalah
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/10/2012 4:28:11 PM
Hahaha.
Yeah something like that I guess.
I'm just a haole. And my first name is F***ing if you know what I mean.

Re: Kealakekua - one of the most beautiful areas God ever created.
 Blalah
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:12:20 PM
It's a beautiful thing. And one the rest of the world will never get.
You are truly blessed in your experience.
On topic the mahimahi has an aggressive personality.
 Blalah
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:30:26 PM
An actual fish the mahimahi and making for a creative pof personality escaped us one day after catching a marlin, many tuna and an ono (that I caught on the bait catching pole) to deprived us of a "clean sweep". Motoring into the harbor we saw a mahi jump at our lure and after reeling in saw that he bit the thick steel hook in half, killing our hopes of a clean sweep. The b^stard. Hahaha.
 NO_NO
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:33:20 PM
I didn't even know there were "fish personalities" in this site. :|

Where do you find that?
 lookingforsophia
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:47:30 PM
Seriously, I'd like to see Narwahls and Sea Dragons as selection options.

If we had Vegetables on the Menu, I suppose Brocolli would be my choice.
No, Brussel Sprouts sound better.

Technical Update: There is also a Dolphin fish (Coryphaena hippurus) ; its called Mahimahi meaning 'very strong' in Hawaiian.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:58:21 PM

I didn't even know there were "fish personalities" in this site. :|

Where do you find that?

Click Edit Profile

Near the top under: THE BASICS you will see Your Fish Personality.

Then use the drop down to select what you want or non at all.
 NO_NO
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/10/2012 6:55:01 PM

Click Edit Profile

Near the top under: THE BASICS you will see Your Fish Personality.

Then use the drop down to select what you want or non at all.

Thanks!

It be nice to be assign one after taking one or more tests they have here, or at list have a description for each "fish".

Now I get the OP comment about clownfish. :D
 Blalah
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/10/2012 6:58:30 PM
Paul-

Haleiwa with captain Rusty Spencer.
Also home of one of the absolute best surf breaks in the world.

I should enter my fish persona as humuhumunukunukuapua'a.
 Blalah
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/13/2012 1:11:36 PM
I've never gone out of Kona harbor but that is definitely the best chance for catching a big marlin. The state's deeepst (and most dangerous for wind conditions) channel running between it and Maui. Also Queensland Australia from what I've heard.

Another apt fish personality (for a woman) for a header would be Kumu. A very good eating Hawaiian red fish that has the double entedre meaning of my sweetheart.

Bent poles to you!

Like it. I'll be waiting for a scenario to use that phrase.
 jonathanshep.
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/21/2012 12:26:08 AM
well i put clownfish beacous i like to laugh..and i dont think every things a joke at all..and i dont think its about fish its about how u feal
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Fish personalities not actual fish