Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > No relationship until you're 30.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 4
No relationship until you're 30.....Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)

I don't try to tell youngsters what to do now 'cos they're not going to listen either.

I'll introduce ya to my daughter if you would like to see that yeah, some of the "youngsters" do understand the concept. It's been driven into her head, and she quickly(highschool) understood what I meant when told her that it should be "her" life first, BEFORE trying to invite someone into yours,at least in the "serious mode".

As parents, especially in this day and age, we should be explaining this concept to our children. Too many are in the "old school" thinking that "finding" another for long term at such an early age is not only unrealistic, it's plain old bum backwards. We live longer, are supposedly healthier, etc. Why not wait????? If 40 is suppose to be the "new" 30, should we not conclude that 30 is the "new" 20??????
 WD1094
Msg: 6
view profile
History
No relationship until you're 30.....
Posted: 4/29/2012 1:26:50 PM
Some people mature faster than others and are smart enough to not get married for the wrong reasons. I've met so many women that told me they got married because they were over 25 and wanted children but they knew they didn't love the guy. As they matured they realized it was a mistake. Whereas some young people are so smart they will not make that mistake and for that reason, when they marry, it works out because they waited for someone they loved rather than : I'm getting old I better get married, I want kids, maybe he'll change after marriage, maybe he'll change after we have kids, maybe I should be less controlling etc..

It doesn't matter how old you are. If you are BOTH genuinely in love then go for it and best of luck.
 Palejewel
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/29/2012 3:02:31 PM
You sound like my mother. She tells me that all the time. and you know, I listen. It makes a lot of sense. She got married at 18 to my Dad, and life was very difficult for her. So her take is, enjoy yourself when you are young.

I will be 30 next year, and have enjoyed my younger years. Now it is time for me to settle down and move on to the next stage in life. LoveHelper, you are one wise woman. Wanna meet my mom?
 c_deacon
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2012 4:06:08 PM
It really does not matter what age you are, half of all marriages end up in divorce, and it gets even higher if you have been married multiple times. What you do save will be the kid thing if you look at getting married much much older, or at least have only one to deal with when going through divorce, and not four, five, or more like many of us had to handle with our parents and their multiple divorces.

I am all for not getting married at all until you are wanting a child, and financially secure, self sufficient, and mature enough to handle not only a marriage, but being a good parent.

cd
 neck romancer
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2012 8:45:14 PM
Social conditioning has told us to rush off into marriage blind.
 Walts
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/29/2012 8:58:09 PM
The year is 2012, and yes "love" is still possible at 20,but "forever" love at 20??? Don't be silly. Sure if ya wanna marry at 20, be ready for the divorce. And maybe a couple of more before your dead and buried. Hold it!!!! We already have those types here in this pond. Okay, maybe if ya start early ya can hit 5-6 divorces/splitsvilles before they start tossing the dirt on ya.
How come fewer and fewer people are learning from other's past mistakes nowadays???? Anybody???? Women???? How do you become an strong and independent person when you are married by 25????? Go ahead and explain the process to me.

I'm waiting.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > No relationship until you're 30.....