Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > An idea of time I've been thinking about      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DScienceGuy
Msg: 1
An idea of time I've been thinking aboutPage 1 of 1    
From what I've seen lately I think most scientists think that although Eisenstein's theory of relativity allow for forward and backwards time travel that nature would in some way not allow backward time travel, that no matter how you tried you would always fail, which as with the arrow of time may be governed by entropy. That said heres a little idea thats been floating around in my head, I first started thinking it after studying the random number generators and how they behaved around big events like 9/11 for example and also how people just watching random number generators seemed to have an effect, it is something like this if I can explain it lol

could it be that all the events in the universe begin to formulate what will happen in the future in a broad sense and as you get closer and closer to that moment it becomes more and more concrete so that say 1hr before the probability that a moment will be happen in a certain way is say 80 percent certain , and 30 min 85 percent 10 min 90 percent and so on until at 1 min it is 99.5 and 1 sec the probability is almost infinitely close to 100 percent. sort of a funnel of the probability of time.

I would love to hear any comments
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
An idea of time I've been thinking about
Posted: 5/2/2012 9:34:17 AM
until at 1 min it is 99.5 and 1 sec the probability is almost infinitely close to 100 percent. sort of a funnel of the probability of time. I would love to hear any comments

Most of us have no time for that..

That is a perceptive probability concept within our human brains frontal lobes, as to what we *believe* may happen in the future...
Frontal lobes are always working to give us at least some inkling of what *may* happen, based upon all our past experience..

With that experience comes the understanding of uncertainty, so that most rational people accept that what we believe may happen, may not actually happen until that belief is reinforced by enough updated info/facts right before the event we expect to happen...

The universe with its objective known and unknown laws of physics may be beyond most of our limited brains ability to comprehend, however hard some of us may wish to believe or frame it in simpler terms.. (That is actually how the brain struggles/defaults to deal with incomprehensible complexity..) "Plain and simple..."

I expect that another Forumite will jump on this thread very soon, and maybe igor it a bit deeper...

lagoda
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/2/2012 11:17:37 AM
There is already an ongoing discussion of time travel here:
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14731045.aspx

Your comments would have been contextually relevant in that thread.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2012 2:10:58 PM
It sounds logical to me. If you can work out the mathematics, you might have something very interesting.

I read a story a long time back, which I would commend to you. It's called the Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov. It postulated the notion that an Historian with sufficient availability of facts, and enough computing power with sufficiently adroit software, could set up a reality modeling system capable of successfully predicting at least the broad brushstrokes of future happenings.

Your idea would fit in well with the detailed section of the program.

There's a whole modern profession involved with similar thinking, sometimes called Futurism. You might look into that as well.
 magnificent_glow
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/2/2012 2:34:33 PM
I think if we ever come up with a theory of everything, which would result in an equation a computer could use to "regrow" the universe in virtual space (something similar to fractals) then maybe that could be used as a form of time travel. you could pinpoint a specific time and space in this virtual universe and view or even maybe experience it.

Kohmelo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2012 5:59:11 PM
I don't think this thread is about time travel at all. It's about the basic properties of time.

It is known and proven that Einstein was not completely correct (reference Einstein's Universal Constant) so it stands to reason that he could have been wrong about other things as well.

By design, scientific theories are created to be proven wrong. In fact, any scientific theory is not accepted if it doesn't allow for the possibility that it could be wrong.

It is known that we are not yet able to explain everything so it makes good sense to revisit conventions to see if new ideas can better fit what we currently know.

Personally, I don't think that time as a dimension of space makes sense... but what do I know? Actually, very little.

Have fun.
 DScienceGuy
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/4/2012 8:06:03 AM
Ah but the thing is... Einstein's equations were right, we just call the cosmological constant "Dark Energy" now, keep in mind our known universe at the time was only our Milky Way Galaxy.
 CressB
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 8:24:17 AM
Igor:

Psychohistory, google has resently clamed to have gathered enough information on humanity, sufficient to begin to calculat the future in accordance with Dr. Asimoves theory.

DScience:

If I had to give your theory a name, to make more simple to relate to/understand, I would say: probability/time solidification. Would that be accurate?
 Kohmelo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:10:53 PM

Ah but the thing is... Einstein's equations were right, we just call the cosmological constant "Dark Energy" now,

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_accel.html
This is a 2010 article suggesting that is a topic of debate. I'd like to think that if that had been firmed up, NASA would have updated the article. But as stated, iunno.
 DScienceGuy
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/6/2012 2:33:50 AM

If I had to give your theory a name, to make more simple to relate to/understand, I would say: probability/time solidification. Would that be accurate?

Yep sounds about right
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > An idea of time I've been thinking about