Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Asteroid mining billionaires      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lotustemple
Msg: 1
Asteroid mining billionairesPage 1 of 1    
Star trek comes to life! Who's been keeping up with this and what do you think about it? Personally I am quite impressed that is where these guys want to put their money. It's fun, exciting and is opening doors for humanity and potentially other species out there.....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/tech-billionaires-unveil-asteroid-mining-plans-013127847.html
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 2
Asteroid mining billionaires
Posted: 5/2/2012 1:45:26 PM

It's fun, exciting and is opening doors for humanity and potentially other species out there.....

We started screwing up the Eco-System on earth when we started traveling around the globe, so not sure if expose to new species is such a good thing.

Considering the thing the kills the most of us are microscopic, the chances of us being able to deal with microbes from another Eco-System would be pretty slim.

So if they want to go get stuff and bring it back and sell it I say have it as the infrastructure to facilitate that would be a great boost to the economy.
 Fleuron
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/2/2012 3:47:12 PM

….opening doors for humanity and potentially other species out there.....

I don’t see how this will be a boon for humanity. How is mining asteroids gonna open doors for anything other than temporarily pacifying greed? Sounds like a couple of bored boys talking big and wasting money.

They’re also gonna have their brains transplanted into new bodies when the old ones die.
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/2/2012 7:52:00 PM
Why anyone is surprised by this news.
This should have happened years ago. Let me explain.
Does any human on earth needs 1 billion dollars per year for living?
They have acquired huge amount of unnecessary money.
If I were a billionaire, I would have given 70% of my money for space exploration and scientific causes.
I'm sure there are a few thousands people like me on the planet who understand necessary
and unnecessary wealth.
 lotustemple
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/3/2012 1:58:10 AM
I don’t see how this will be a boon for humanity. How is mining asteroids gonna open doors for anything other than temporarily pacifying greed? Sounds like a couple of bored boys talking big and wasting money.

I hear ya, but earth's no utopia, and humanity will be what it is.....a wide range of characters good and bad and much inbetween. At least this time the self-serving billionares are doing something interesting and expansive. Well I guess that's yet to be seen.
 null_locus_accede
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/3/2012 7:15:24 AM
One can only hope that the advancements in technology that come from such an endeavour, are worth the cost of pursuing something as futile as space exploration.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2012 5:37:40 PM
James Cameron is not a billionaire
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/directors/james-cameron-net-worth/

Regardless, this is a great idea. There's lots of resources flying by us every day and we just let them go while we deplete our own.

As for finding new life... on an asteroid? Good luck
 lotustemple
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/4/2012 1:00:02 PM

As for finding new life... on an asteroid? Good luck

You might have taken me literally, Captain. Asteroid mining is simply one more step in space travel....moving on out there..new friends and destinations, here we come!
 Kohmelo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:00:32 PM
^^^^ Gotcha. And yes, I'll glady captain the ship. Thanks for the opportunity!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Asteroid mining billionaires