Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What's heaven like?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LastSunset
Msg: 1
What's heaven like?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
How does the whole heaven thing work? Will I be able to hang out with my Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, and Buddist friends? Is heaven segregated? Or will they be in a different part of heaven? Or not in heaven at all because they picked the wrong religion? ( Sorry, you put your money on the wrong horse )
Are all Christian denominations allowed? And if so, Do Methodist have it better than Catholics? How about Mormons and JWs? Do they all hang out together? Can an atheist get in if they are a good person with love in their heart?
 Sabetha
Msg: 2
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/3/2012 8:46:41 PM
Who knew Heaven was a place called Earth...
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 3
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/3/2012 9:12:10 PM
Seek and ye shall find.

Seriously.
If you want to know....
seek out the answer.
And have an open mind.
It is your birthright to know by being born human.

Don't go with what this book or that prophet said.
Everything gets garbled coming back to this side.
If you want to know...
with every fiber of your being...
you can.

Good luck.
 CressB
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 12:27:03 AM
I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.

(Isaac Asimov)
 null_locus_accede
Msg: 5
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 3:31:32 AM
Everybody in the afterlife uses avatars. And they are in constant flux.
If you assume to know who somebody is, then everyone does that body snatcher "point and scream" at you.
And then you have to leave. No soup for you!
My avatar will be Rainbow Bunchie in case anyone wants to chill and jazz.
 TedJMill
Msg: 6
view profile
History
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 7:09:14 AM
Jewish point of view:

There's a Talmudic quote: "The righteous of all nations have a share in the World to Come". So getting in is a matter of being a good person, not following the 'right' religion.
 _shakti_
Msg: 7
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 8:47:07 AM
You're not going to tell us how Stray?
 purfectmeow
Msg: 8
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:06:30 AM
When one opens their heart and soul to believing in what cannot be proved by science,
experiences start to change from that energy. It is the power of faith that is understood
by those that allow themselves to experience it.

If some dont get that they may never understand; I will not try to explain this to those that need physical evidence.
Im not banging my head up against the same brick walls myself and others already have in these. Do a thread search for more information; the "Does God Exist" thread has a wealth of over 200 pages.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 9
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:35:18 AM

What's heaven like?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNdMc6wGtU

Heaven: Talking Heads

Everyone is trying to get to the bar
The name of the bar
The bar is called heaven

The band in heaven
They play my favorite song
Play it one more time
Play it all night long

Oh heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

Heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

There is a party
Everyone is there
Everyone will leave at exactly the same time

When this party's over
It will start again
It will not be any different
It will be exactly the same

Oh heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

When this kiss is over
It will start again
It will not be any different
It will be exactly the same

It's hard to imagine
That nothing at all
Could be so exciting
Could be this much fun

Oh heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

Heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens
 catalina_view
Msg: 10
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:37:18 AM
Well OP there's only one way to find out. Although personally I believe trolls go to Hell.
 Kohavah
Msg: 11
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 3:44:17 PM
It is my opinion that heaven simply means haven, safe harbour, safe place or sanctuary. A time and a place that is perfect for that specific individual, or an entire world of individuals in unison. False religions, unjust governments and those who either choose to work for them or are forced to be entwined with them have kept Mankind from this safe harbour. Mankind must be freed from the confines that this earthly prison has wrongly pronounced upon them.

One can not be properly heaven bound, when He or She is subject to the ill justice that comes when armies of criminals have safe harbour/heaven to march about with their crowns of thorny prison wire. Just as a rose must be enabled to be free from the tangles and briars, that keep it hidden from the warmth of the suns rays, a Man must be freed from the tangles and briars that hold back his mind from the wonderous enlightenment that He or She was already endowed to receive. This is Heaven in my opinion.
 CressB
Msg: 12
view profile
History
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:55:13 PM
Kohavah:

Functional anarchy? Is man capable of living free from the rule of any other on the planet (within reason of course). But wait, perhaps "within reason" is more than just an aside, perhaps it is the primary road block that is stopping us from living "freely". First it begins with murder and theft. These are reasonable to ask people not to do, right. But what about drinking and driving? Should we let people drink and drive? They might unintentionally murder someone. and what about guns/other weapons, drugs, property rights, resources, ideological differences. Are these not the leading causes of murder? Well shouldn't we do something about those to? And theft, where do we even begin with that one? What really determines why anyone should own anything. Ahh! We're already loosing the whole thing all over again, and we haven't even got started yet.

I give up!
 gingerosity
Msg: 13
view profile
History
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:14:38 PM
Heaven is a wonderful myth for people who are incapable of being a nice person without promise of a reward, just as hell is a promise of punishment for not being nice. Therefore the true form of heaven and hell is exactly what is required to completely fulfil your personal definitions of reward and punishment, and so exert maximum influence over your current behaviour.
 Kohavah
Msg: 14
What's being dead like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 6:24:21 PM
I look at Heaven as a possitive creation, or Pro Creation. That which is morally and intellectually safe, sound and justifiably progressive. At present we are all being forced to be party to the outcome of a negative creation. That which is not good for our justified peace and joy, leaving us to feel abandoned and alone, is not heaven to any being.

As to the answer for how these events will come about, I am a mere infant. I have no conscious memory available to bring forth that information. For me I try to understand the best I can, but I am as confused and overwhelmed by the situation as are you, simply because I am in the midst of it. I rely on those who have a better scope, who see things from a distance, therefore they understand the full compass of the situation.

I think heaven is what we wish for when we dream our happiest and most fulfilling dreams. The kind of dreams that we want to return to again and again, for when we go there, we are safe because we have found our way back home. We are different, we have different values, and we value people, places and things quite differently. How could all Heavens be the same for all beings. I believe there are many Heavens. If your Heaven is any place in the present universe, then to be quite honest, your Heaven is my waking nightmare.
 _shakti_
Msg: 15
What's being dead like?
Posted: 5/4/2012 7:45:01 PM
I've always loved this description:

(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 16
What's being dead like?
Posted: 5/5/2012 5:28:57 AM

How does the whole heaven thing work?

When you die the DMT stored in your pituitary gland will be released on mass, at that time what ever is in your subconscious becomes heaven.

What you see in that memory is the last you will ever have and you will not know it has ended as you never wake up.

Heaven is a state of mind.
 2findU
Msg: 17
view profile
History
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:58:04 AM
Heaven doesn't really exist. So use your imagination or fantasy movies as a reference perhaps.
 windchymes
Msg: 18
view profile
History
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/6/2012 11:03:22 AM
I "investigated" the Mormon church about 10 years ago, and their concept of heaven was one of the reasons I decided not to join up.

They believe in "forever families". When you marry, the goal is to be "sealed" together for eternity. Now, I have two ex-husbands and a lot of family members that I'm not real thrilled to be spending my earth time with, let alone eternity. Plus, I was adopted, so....do I spend it with my adopted family or do I revert back to my biological ancestors?

And what if you are the second spouse and the first spouse died young? When you get to heaven, are we a threesome? The only answers they could give me on that one was that God would make everything perfect, however that might be. They couldn't tell me that part.

Also, if you were a Mormon who lived a devout life, tithed, and were an upstanding member of the church, you get to live in the highest level of heaven, and all the "others" would be your servants and have to live in the lower levels. Frankly, I'd rather live in the low places....with my friends.... :)
 Demigod1979
Msg: 19
view profile
History
What's being dead like?
Posted: 5/6/2012 6:02:10 PM
I'm reminded of this conversation between Jay and Manny in Modern Family:

Manny: So you're not worried about hell?
Jay: Let me let you in on a little secret kid, there is no hell.
Manny: Seriously? No hell? That's fantastic! ... so everyone just goes to heaven?
Jay: Yup. End of story.
Manny: Even bad people?
Jay: Yeah.. they're in a different section, they've got this thing figured out.
Manny: I'm thinking about this heaven of yours full of bad people.
Jay: Not full, tiniest fraction. They're walled-in.
Manny: What if they break out?
Jay: They're surrounded by a lake of fire.
Manny: There are fiery lakes in heaven? This is turning into hell.

I've always loved this description:

(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html

Ah, the Gospel of Thomas. I sometimes think if gnostic Christianity had won out then the world would be a better place (we all have the spark of the divine - god, heaven, salvation is within us).
 JustDukky
Msg: 20
What's being dead like?
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:28:58 PM
Death is oblivion and oblivion is heaven.

Looking back, I'd say the first 13.8 billion years went by pretty smoothly; it's only the last fifty or sixty that gave me any trouble at all. I'm pretty sure the future holds billions more years of blissful peace....Ahhhh.
 Balsamica
Msg: 21
What's being dead like?
Posted: 5/8/2012 6:59:47 PM
The Radiator Lady in Eraserhead sang,

"In heaven, every thing is fine,
in heaven, every thing is fine,
You've got your good thing,
and I've got mine".

:-)
 BornVillan
Msg: 22
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/9/2012 12:42:27 AM
Heaven is streets of gold
 cbbull21
Msg: 23
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/15/2012 7:40:03 PM
Google:
Allegory of the long spoon

That's as good an answer as any.
 abdieos74
Msg: 24
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/15/2012 9:54:34 PM
If you do a bit of research on this, there is quite a bit of information. A LOT of people have NDE's (Near Death Experiences) every year... we are talking thousands.. Some were dead for several minutes to an hour.
A few have written books about their experiences. One is a young boy and another is a woman.

My mother had the same "out of body experience" when she almost died giving labor to my brother. It fit exactly what the others said. She could see her own body and heard an entire conversation (and remembered it word for word) that was taking place in another part of the building.

May want to look into "DMT: The Spirit Molecule".. Some very interesting stuff!!
 aremeself
Msg: 25
view profile
History
What's heaven like?
Posted: 5/18/2012 9:25:18 PM
"and cholera"

you can do better than that.

that's devolution.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What's heaven like?