Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > DC vs Marvel?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scifichicky
Msg: 1
DC vs Marvel?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Okay fellow geeks, which do you prefer? DC or Marvel?

I prefer Marvel movies/characters. My favorites being X-men and Daredevil...

Just curious as to favorite movies, characters ... and why.

I was really surprised that this subject hasn't been approached before.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 2
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:21:32 PM
I'll say DC. I have never been a huge fan of superheroes, but I like the romantic connection with Lois lane in the Superman series.
 colt8301
Msg: 3
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:37:43 PM

I prefer Marvel movies/characters. My favorites being X-men and Daredevil...
Just curious as to favorite movies, characters ... and why.
I was really surprised that this subject hasn't been approached before

As much as I love the Batman universe and their villains, I'm a marvel guy.
My favorite characters Wolverine, Sabretooth, Gambit, Onslaught, Venom, Punisher( marvels Batman), Nightcrawler, Juggernaut, Carnage, Hulk( who doesn't like him), Spidey is cool, slowly becoming a fan of Magneto. Powerman, Iron Fist, War Machine, Panther, Wendigo, Craven the hunter. I tend to lean towards the anti - hero types though if I lived in those worlds i would definitely be in that group. You never know what side they will be fighting for one day they are villains, the next they are doing something heroic.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 4
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:42:11 PM

A very timely thread, since tomorrow, Saturday, May 5, 2012, is FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!!!

On topic, I like them both, but I would go with DC as #1 and Marvel second.

All the usual suspects are faves-Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman, Hawkman, Wonder Woman.
Spiderman is fave Marvel character.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/4/2012 7:20:34 PM
Archie all the way!

But I'm Canadian. Bet you didn't know that half of all Archie comics sold in the world are sold in this country. And there was a good story about the fight for control of the Archie empire in a recent New Yorker.
 GeekSupreme
Msg: 6
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/4/2012 7:36:23 PM
ALPHA FLIGHT. Yup it's Canadian. Just like me.

Just finished reading the Civil War series. The Iron Man and Capt America fight is epic.

My fav character is DeadPool. Bad Ass that just won't die. Make Wolverine look like a small gerbil with unkempt claws.
 tuloa942
Msg: 7
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/4/2012 9:30:29 PM
Having just gotten back from seeing Marvel's The Avengers. As much as I love the Batman movies, I've become a BIG fan of the Marvel Universe movies. (Sorry, didn't read many of the comics/graphic novels so I'm basing my answer on the movies.) Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine and the rest of the X-Men, David Banner, Captain America, Hawkeye, and so on. All pretty yummy!

Oh, and I like the stories/plots a bit better also.

scifichicky, thanks for the question, some of the rest of the stuff on here gets tiresome!
 byak
Msg: 8
view profile
History
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/5/2012 5:44:41 AM
Marvel is what I grew up with and the characters that I still love the most. I've noticed that the art has really been terrible in their books lately though. I'm not saying I need every book to look like they did before the Image guys jumped ship back in the day but come on. When a cover jumps off the shelf because Art Adams has done another amazing job and I open it up to trash that just ruins it for.

Oh one more thing the Goon is just awesome.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 9
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/5/2012 6:16:17 AM
Marvel. Although DC has come a long way from its cookie cutter characterizations of comic creations.

I freely admit I'm a comic geek and frustrated artist.

I also graduated from the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art. Next to Jack Kirby, Joe Kubert is a comics legend.

Fave character? Captain America.
 tuloa942
Msg: 10
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/5/2012 9:54:50 PM
Bladesmith, I got to meet Martin Nodell (creator of the Green Lantern) back around 1995 at a comic book convention. We spent quite a bit of time at his booth while he talked with us and drew some things for my sons. We saw Frazetta there but he was unapproachable, surrounded by body guards. There were many "newer" artists there but the biggest treat was meeting Martin.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 11
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/6/2012 12:42:51 PM
Color me envious! I always thought Jack Kirby got a raw deal from Marvel.

I still draw, and love the medium, but I'm damned if I buy any often. Too expensive. I'll buy a Trade paperback now and again, but thats about it.

I did attend an event for free comic day and sold two sketches, which was a big deal for me.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 12
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/6/2012 6:55:45 PM
Marvel. The only DC characters I like are Batman and the original Green Lantern Alan Scott.
 Openotebook
Msg: 13
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/7/2012 5:44:16 PM
I'm torn. I went through my comics phase in the 80s, so I was Marvel all the way...but as I've grown older, I think I appreciate DCs charm a bit more.

On another note, thanks scifichicky, for giving me hope that ther just might be a girl out her for me. At 43 , and 2 divorces later, I realized I had been settling for banal women my whole life, because I thought I would never find a girl who shared all my nerdy interests. I deceided i would hold out for the the woman I should really be with this time. Of course, finding this girl who I am ALSO attracted to seems pretty far fetched. I figure at my age, most the good ones are probably all taken...but you've given me hope that here are still a few out there...I might get lucky yet :)
 Openotebook
Msg: 14
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:09:03 PM
P.S. Ambush Bug is my favorite...which says more about my personality than a thousand words. :)
 scifichicky
Msg: 15
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/7/2012 8:40:59 PM
You should hop in on my Zombie Apocalypse thread then ;)
 part deux
Msg: 16
view profile
History
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:13:16 PM
DC, I think The Watchmen is one of the most brilliant works of fiction ever. The plot, dialogue, character development and art, for me, are flawless.
I also loved all the horror comics. Remember the one narrated by the three witches? I also used to read Cracked and Mad.
 DevanLee
Msg: 17
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:35:13 PM
I would have to say DC, I love all of the characters and my fav has always been superman. Although I will say that marvel really has it now with all the movies since disney took over the movie rights.
 scifichicky
Msg: 18
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:51:08 PM
I still read Cracked online via Facebook :)
 TheBard101
Msg: 19
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:28:07 PM
Colt8301 you mentioned that:

Punisher( marvels Batman)

I think Moonknight is actually their direct translation. Check him out and you might agree.

I think that Darkhorse and DC comics have come a long way, but I've always been a Marvel fan. Besides Batman, DC was slower on the grittier version of comics. Marvel had more stories where the hero had moral issues or consequences. But then again, I'm a geek. Now a days you can find "influences" from both to each other all over the place. hehe The Marvel-DC-verse!
 tuloa942
Msg: 20
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:35:20 PM
Openotebook, try being a 61 year old woman looking for guy about her age who enjoys sci-fi, action heroes, zombies, computer games, etc. let alone finding women friends with similar interests! So tired of conversations centering on recipes, shopping, children/grandchildren, etc. And the men, sports, golf, cars, motorcycles, fishing, hunting, etc. All of that is fine and I actually like all (well most) of those things but not ALL the time!

My son has many friends (who are girls) out in Seattle who are really into the geek stuff. Maybe you should move there. lol They are always having some kind of geek convention, anime, halo, video games, comic cons, sci-fi cons and so on. They have a great sci-fi museum at the base of the Needle.

Actually, that's the type of places (the cons) you should go to to meet the non-banal type young lady. Hmm, I wonder if men my age attend those? I haven't been to one in ages, it might be worth a try.
 colt8301
Msg: 21
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/8/2012 3:24:35 AM

I think Moonknight is actually their direct translation. Check him out and you might agree.

I think that Darkhorse and DC comics have come a long way, but I've always been a Marvel fan. Besides Batman, DC was slower on the grittier version of comics. Marvel had more stories where the hero had moral issues or consequences. But then again, I'm a geek. Now a days you can find "influences" from both to each other all over the place. hehe The Marvel-DC-verse!

In my estimation I always saw Punisher like the Batman, with the vigilante thing, except the excessive killing. I will read up on Moon Knight though
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 22
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/8/2012 6:54:17 AM
Part Deux, you cannot go wrong with Alan Moore. One of the best and most thoughtful writers in the genre today. He's on par with any of the literary greats, and I do not say that lightly. His choice of medium does not get the respect it deserves, and neither does he.

I challenge anyone who considers "comic books" to be kid stuff to read Moores works. He'll change your mind in three books or less.

Bard, I respectfully disagree re: Moonknight as Batman. Moonknight is mystical. Punisher is a psychotic murderer.

A more correct comparison would be Batman=Iron Man. Consider:
*Both are mega geniuses
*Both are insanely wealthy
*Both use their self named industries to equip/augment their crime fighting abilities
*Both are master hand to hand combatents Batman traveled the world learning from the worlds masters, combining them into his own style, and Stark was taught by none other than Captain America.(Not many know this about Stark, since he tends to rely on his tech, not his skill at fisticuffs, but Tony Stark recieved extensive hand to hand training from Captain America, who is arguably the greatest living master of multiple HTH combat styles.)
*Both rely heavily on technology, and Batman has often used powered armor himself.
 Casper66
Msg: 23
view profile
History
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/8/2012 4:38:29 PM
I love horror movies/books, but my favourite Marvel characters are the X-men, Storm, Gambit and Wolverine, just love their back stories.
Thou I must say I've always liked Batman over all the other superheros out there. He has this darker side to him that I think is more realistic than goody/goodies and he does it without super powers, a balance between brain and brawn.
Mad magazines were amazing. Some of the newer graphic novels have better story telling than most of the best- selling list books I've read recently.
 part deux
Msg: 24
view profile
History
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/9/2012 9:47:02 AM
I have to give Marvel props for bringing in French artist, Mobius ( he passed away in march, RIP).
 colt8301
Msg: 25
DC vs Marvel?
Posted: 5/9/2012 1:57:38 PM

TheBArd, you were absolutely right...I did check up on him and I can't believe I forgot all about him, I had heard of Moonknight before. Yeah I just linked the "family tragedy" together and I tried to stick them together without research, good call.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > DC vs Marvel?