Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Personal transport      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Custard_donut
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Personal transportPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hi

How important is it to people that the person they're looking at on here has their own car or bike?
I know that it will be more of an issue in rural areas than cities but would just like to find out what people think. Another part of the question is what would people think to a date turning up on a bike rather than in a car?

I originally asked this on the ask a girl boards and noticed that not many UK people answered, I thought I'd give it a try on here to see if there were any differences of opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen
 badge73
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Personal transport
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:56:16 AM
decent enough question .... as always wonder when going through profiles, reading how they like countryside, day trips and all the rest when they dont drive? do they presume the new man in there life will take them everywhere? ...

i dont use public transport for various reasons and do ride a bike almost everywhere, yes i would turn up on it on a date and indeed have done, dont find it much of an issue as generally the bints i go for are independent and do there own thing. plus can always jump on the back ....
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Personal transport
Posted: 5/7/2012 8:29:23 AM
Having a car isnt a deal breaker for me but it is preferred or at least being able to drive anyway. I dont mind doing the bulk of the driving, but as said above, its nice to share the the long distance stuff, or to be able to take in turns to drink etc.

One thing though entering into a committed relationship with a non driver i would be cautious. Past experience has taught me that should this be the case i end up spending the majority of my free time being an unpaid taxi service not only for them (fine) and thier kids (ok sometimes) but the extended family too (usually takes the piss). Far too much scope for arguments there.

Its all well and good saying ill drop you a few quid for petrol, but what about mileage value depreciation, tyres, brakes and servicing? Not to mention that after a hard days work the last thing i want to be doing at bedtime is running the gauntlet of pissed up about to puke 'friends'.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Personal transport
Posted: 5/7/2012 9:30:53 AM
Its never ever come into the equation, 2 partners drove/had cars, ..3 did not, the ones who did drive, were the closest and the ones who didnt, lived furthest away, no matter, if you love driving, it adds to the overall pleasure, if your the sort of person who finds driving to be generally a chore, then of course, thats different.
 Jo van
Msg: 5
Personal transport
Posted: 5/7/2012 11:37:46 AM
I wouldn't be prepared to 'date' a woman unless she had either a 'Segway', or a Jet-Ski at the very least.

As a last resort, I might be prepared to consider roller-blades.
(But obviously, only if the CRB came back 'clean'.)

Custard_donut
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Personal transport
Posted: 5/7/2012 12:21:30 PM
I've in the same place as Sparkly, I work near home and almost everything is within walking distance, I have no problem paying for taxis and when I did have a car refused to drive in Manchester city centre after getting cut up and nearly crashed into everytime I drove in there (around three in total).

When I posted this on the ask a girl board the vibe was that you needed to have a car in order to get from a-b even in major cities (with the possible exception of New York), it's a good job that I moved it to this board!

To clarify for Sprite as well, I do mean a motorbike although just once I would like to see what happens when some person turns up on a pedal bike.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Personal transport
Posted: 5/8/2012 1:56:01 AM
Sprite - have to agree with you there. My mum did learn to drive because dad was in the Navy and could be away for months on end - but the minute he came back - he took over all the driving, I don't think mum was bothered though as she didn't particularly enjoy driving.

I had a 125cc motorbike when I was 17 but when I met my husband, he had a car and loved to drive, so that was fair enough. I didn't really feel a need to have a car until I was in my 30's. I don't think I even knew a man who didn't have a car until I moved to outside London unless it was because he couldn't afford one. I was just a given that the men drove. I always made a point of paying towards fuel though. I did have another little motorbike when I was in my 30's, It was a cheap way of getting my daughter around and getting into work but at 35 I learned to drive a car and got my licence.

I hate driving in England, or any busy area, so my car sits outside with a weekly trip to the supermarket being the only time it is used. Apparently I am quite a good driver but I hate traffic but love driving in rural area's.

I can see why people in the City's don't bother with cars. Public transport, especially in the London area is good and with the traffic jams, difficulty in parking and congestion charges I can see why, for many, it's not worth having a car.
Personal transport
Posted: 5/8/2012 4:59:32 AM
I'm actually am quite ambivalent when it comes to a woman having a car or not. The last one that drove me anywhere nearly totalled herself, car, and me whilst entering a T-Junction whilst a large blue transit was making a right turn! Scared the hell out of me!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Personal transport