Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature? Sending a Flirt.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Holly63
Msg: 1
New Feature? Sending a Flirt.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I just noticed this today on people's profiles. Is this new?

I clicked on it on my own profile to see what happens. It immediately went to my inbox and said I sent a flirt and am interested. :)

I see its for women only.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 2
New Feature? Sending a Flirt.
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:37:41 PM
You were smarter then I was in testing this feature.

I just sent one to a forum friend thinking I would get the chance to add a comment - seems not ! LOL I just had to follow up with an explanation.

You can deduce from this that if you are ever in a spy car which has a red button, (likely labelled Do not Press) you would be better off if I wasn't there too. That ejection seat could be a killer if unexpected. LOL
 Holly63
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:41:06 PM
LOL. Thats why I tested it on myself.

Its kinda wierd having a message from myself! lol.

EDIT: Yeah, Entertaining, I noticed that too. Im sure Markus will tweak with it for a while.

......and LOL @ Tempus. Never mind, I'll send you one. :)

Interesting, I just did and checked my sent messages and no pics were attached. Hmmmm

U make it entertaining
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:42:07 PM
About time!
Now that makes a lot of sense.
I remember putting a request in for one a while back.
Never thought they would listen.

OK ... so I had to go try it.
It is immediate, the only problem is that it sends ALL your photos with it.
They should change that to just the main pic.
 TempusFujis
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:53:16 PM
is that the new flirt? I received one earlier and I thought she made it up so I rolled my eyes and deleted it
 HawkingJr
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:42:09 PM
Well, I'll be damned. I did not see that coming.

I guess he learned the lesson of the ill-fated "winks" from years ago: only give the power to women. (I would caveat that with "like they need more on this site!" but this particular female-oriented feature can only be a good thing for men.) Also lesson learned from "Meet Me": put the feature directly on the profiles. Of course, how close is the button to some other button that you could actually have meant to click?

I am slightly optimistic for once, but I await the opportunity to be proven wrong.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:59:18 PM
I think it is s good idea.
Saves you ladies needless typing and doesn't stick your neck out like an email would.
And if the guy is interested, I'm sure he'll respond.

However, be careful about hitting whatever the button is.
I just got three flirts from the same lady at the same time.
I'm thinking it's button issue and not enthusiasm.
LOL
 Holly63
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/7/2012 8:11:19 PM
"Just want to send a flirt? Show you're interested!"

This stands out on its own and is directly under the person's main photo, between the main photo and "Send a quick message".

It takes up a whole line across the profile page, Its well spaced out with a large blue button on the right to click which says "Show Interest". We can't miss it. :)

I dont think I can post anymore on this page. Will be interesting to see people's opinions on this. :)
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:03:45 AM
Thanks for describing the location of the flirt. I was looking at my profile and just kept overlooking it! It is a great idea and long in coming.
 TheLongSpring
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:36:20 AM
Son of a biscuit eater, a new feature that could actually help
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:56:45 AM
Great idea but shame it is only for women at the moment. Marcus should get rid of the stupid 'Meet Me' feature and give men the flirt option as well.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 8:30:03 AM
There have been numerous complaints about the "Meet Me" option. It does appear to be useless. Wonder what the reasoning is to only allow women the option to flirt.?
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 9:37:10 AM
Although it's called 'flirt', the message sent is simply 'xyz is interested in you'. Maybe Marcus has realised that there are a quite a lot of women who will not make first contact and the men are getting fed up of being rejected.

However, I think that so many men (in the UK Forums anyway) don't bother to message because they just get ignored, they have stopped messaging.

All the men out there - FIGHT FOR EQUAL RIGHTS (either that or just keep asking why you can't have the same button until you get heard) lol
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 9:43:51 AM
Nope, please keep this restricted to the ladies. They're a bit more discerning and don't have semen clouding their judgement.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/8/2012 10:25:46 AM

OK ... so I had to go try it.
It is immediate, the only problem is that it sends ALL your photos with it.
They should change that to just the main pic.

That would only be the case if the user you send the flirt to has picture restrictions on their profile.
 Broadway_Bess
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 11:35:17 AM
I imagine that it's for women only right now as it is being tested, but
I'm sure men will be included soon enough.

However, let's not forget that once this Beta testing is complete, this would be a prime feature to
offer only to upgraded members.
That's my thinking. Test it on the masses & then exclude the non-paying members.
so...use it while you can!

BB
 HawkingJr
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 2:26:56 PM
I hate to say it, but internetdatinglol is right: giving this feature to men will destroy it, just as happened with "winks." Really, it's only slightly lazier than copy-and-pasting the same message over and over again -- which is apparently such a big problem that POF made a rule against more than 4 of them a day. I guarantee you if men had this power, women's email boxes would be flooded with these messages -- to the point that some couldn't even wade through them all and give up on the site -- it's already bad enough for some of them with men currently forced to come up with somewhat original thoughts of certain character lengths; imagine how much worse it would get if men had to do nothing more than click a button.

And that's in a world where clicking it multiple times wouldn't send multiple messages -- Good Lord, how some guys would abuse that concept! But I agree with whoever said that should be taken away from women, too -- only one message no matter how many clicks!! It is a good thing, however, that this message goes to the regular inbox and not some "special" inbox like Meet Me's do -- because it wouldn't be long before men stop checking that special inbox if problems arose with the "Flirt" concept.

Women already fill these forums (and some their profiles) with complaints about men not writing enough or good enough in their opening messages -- if they suddenly started getting twice as many messages in their regular email box and half of them were "Flirts," that could lead to absolutely no good. However, most men on here (jaye apparently excepted) couldn't care less how a woman attempts to let him know she is "interested" in him, since most of us get so few legitimate indications of interest on here anyway. By God, a woman could let me know her interest by sending an electric shock over the internet that knocked my fingernails off, and if she was attractive, I'd still send her a message. Certainly it's a better indicator of true interest than "Viewed Me," and I email nearly all women that I find attractive who "view me." (Sometimes leading to conversations -- which is kind of the point of this: some women [certainly not most of the confident 1% hanging around in forums] just can't find it in them to make the first move. So a simple click just helps them out.)

Interesting questions: does "Flirt" count as a first contact email? Such that you can override their mail settings if you don't meet them (which is part of the problem with "Meet Me")? And can you block someone who sends you a "Flirt"?

All this said... "Flirt" won't improve MY lot whatsoever on this site. If anything, it's actually worse than "Meet Me." Your appearance in "Meet Me" is pretty much just a random selection to any woman so I have as much of a chance of appearing on that page as any other guy. But the vast majority of profile views that will lead to "Flirts" come about through the main search pages, from which 95% of women will exclude me because of my height and ethnicity. Considering I got 5 Meet Me's in 2 years of that feature (most men complain of having 50+ and not being able to sort them all), and get about 2 non-stealth views a week (1/10th of what the typical male in a large metro gets) and average 1 first contact email every 3 months, my educated guess would be that I will never see a "Flirt" -- I mean, a woman open-minded enough to not to be excluding me from her searches is probably the type that's not so shy that she can't email me. So while I think "Flirt" (implemented correctly, which I'm not sure about yet) can't hurt and probably is a good thing for the site, for me personally, it's likely as meaningless as anything else on this site. It's just somewhat encouraging from an altruistic point of view to see the site do something intelligent for a change lately.
 TheLongSpring
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/8/2012 3:13:01 PM
Please please please please please please don't give this to men!!!!!!!!!!

It's bad enough as it is, how most of the men on here ruin this site
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/8/2012 3:32:12 PM
This is what will happen to not just men doing it by the millions but women will do it too, whereas before they would have sent out an email to try and get talking.

If they where going to send you an email they still will, the ones that maybe where too shy will use this feature and unless your mailbox is already flooded with messages the worst thing that could happen is you get an email from someone that is interested in you and you not so much in them.

I bet many guys sit on their hands because they are afraid of the rejection and maybe it will only happen on the rare occasion but there is a chance that this works as an icebreaker.

Again, there is no downside.

THIS. WON'T. WORK!!!! And you're KILLING what DID work about this site. I swear Marcus has got nothing better to do now that he is sitting still now that his site and what it wanted to do for people became a success. He's just bored and got no challenges, so he's scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with stuff that isn't needed.

He became a success not from doing something that no one thought of, but doing something that no one thought would work.

So maybe just because you do not think it is going to work, might not mean that the site owner can not make it work.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

If you never try and fix it, you will never make it better.

p.s. Please do not give this to guys, only for women.
 Sea- Side
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 9:26:03 AM
At least half the guys I email do not respond. The Flirt saves me the time of writing pointlessly! Doesn't matter whether guys get this feature or not, when I unhide my profile I get lots of one liners (even when I set length restrictions--- they pad with junk), a Flirt would replace those and would be less depressing :)
 sweetnpetite721
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/13/2012 3:35:23 PM
I like this new feature because it can be difficult to compose an introductory message (I know some women aren't comfortable with doing that anyway), so this is a way for women to show interest and let the guy take the lead if the feeling is mutual. It's also good for the guys because you already have some indication that the woman will be receptive to communicating with you.
 saddestangel7
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/14/2012 8:58:51 AM
I hate all Winks and Flirts and God Bless sites that give us the power to turn them off. Those things are like SPAM.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2012 10:23:21 AM
i was wondering about that because it dont' see any flirt option anywhere and i'm a gold member so it must be for women only to send flirts.Well that's good then cause guys will spam the hell out of women with that feature.
 DeerTaint
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/14/2012 10:57:31 AM
I think it's a lazy feature. Now there will be a ton of questions about why doesn't she answer my "flirt".
 CharminC
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/14/2012 11:00:33 AM
I see this feature in both male and female profiles.

Guess it's not just for women??
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature? Sending a Flirt.