Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > How persistent are you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 5
view profile
History
How persistent are you?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I don't think you get to see if someone as read your message anymore unless you pay for the option.

Personally, if I have sent a thanks but no thanks and then get the same message again a few days later, I am liable to be less polite.

1st message - Hi how are you, wot u up 2
Response - thanks for taking the time to message but I'm not interested

2nd message - Hi hows u
Response - I'm just as not interested as I was last time you messaged

3rd message - hi wot R U up to
Response - ignore - guys obviously sweeping

If it takes 3 attempts and then she responds with a message, I'd say she was just very bored at that moment and you were the consolation prize
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 7
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:59:10 AM
HappyChappie - maybe she likes you as well but doesn't want to come out and say it - keep your fingers crossed she might use the 'flirt' button on you :o)
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 10
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/8/2012 6:14:58 AM
^^^^ I hate to admit it (wish I could say I was ashamed, but I'm not), but in the past, if someone has constantly messaged me, when I had a much fuller profile which they obviously didn't fit in any way, shape or form - I have resorted to being somewhat caustic - especially if I have had a few glasses of wine or had a particularly bad day.

I have learnt much better control now and would never be nasty the first time someone messaged me unless they were particularly rude/disgusting and even then I try not to respond at all because that is playing right along with them.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 11
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/8/2012 7:35:31 AM
we can't see now if our sent messages have been read or even the last time that person was online

Even when we could I'd only ever write one email if there was a woman that I was interested in - If she didn't respond just move on.
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 15
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/8/2012 7:53:52 AM
Absolutely not at all. I don't send many first contact messages preferring to chat mostly with the girls who contact me. If I do send a few first messages, just to keep my hand in as it were, I check my page of people I have contacted just to be sure I haven't messaged them already recently, then I send my message, go to the sent page and read it to ensure it is right and then delete it. I have always done this since the first few months I was on here, even when the option to view whether or not they had read it was available for free.

If they reply, they reply, if not, se la vie.

I like to pride myself that I have responded to every single message that has come my way and there have been literally hundreds of them over the last few years I have been on here, even if the message is just a lol or similar.

PS.

I have caught the gay with this one :(

What does this mean, I've never come across it before?
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 16
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/8/2012 7:59:44 AM
ha ha ha, thanks Lusipher, no they didn't, where I came from you were a Mardarse.....
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 18
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/8/2012 9:17:25 AM
x-audax-at-fidelis-x

I think you have hit the nail right on the head with your comment regarding why some people don't get responses. After seeing what some people write in the Forums, I dread to think what sort of messages those people send, although, in saying that, I am pretty sure many cringeworthy Forumites are completely different away from the Forums.

I have chatted to one person from the forums who I think most people would have said was antagonistic at the very best. He is actually quite a charmer and uses the forums to entertain/amuse himself.
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 19
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/8/2012 9:29:20 AM
When it comes to POF messaging then not at all. I dont recall ever sending more than 1 mail intentionally, and when i did it was because they changed their profile picture months on and i hadnt realised i had already mailed them.

These days i rarely message anyone, only forumites, since i moved ive not had anyone view my profile for 3 weeks let alone a message so for the poster above to get 115 negative responses is quite an achievement. Its quite obvious this site isnt for me on the dating side.

Given that the majority of females moan about getting more than 1 message then i would be wary of being termed a stalker. And as being stalked is an individual perception then i choose caution, this is not a game of kiss chase.

i have far better things to do with my time than chase someone that has already ignored me once, i have messaged then next move is theirs its quite simple. If they like chase me games that much then i am sure there are many in IE and casual sections that will pander to their love of the chase.

After meeting on the other hand is a different game entirely where the chase is part of the fun.
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 26
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/9/2012 7:59:17 AM
If you are too ignorant to reply to my first message, you won't get a second one to ignore. When I get a " no thanks" I thank them for the reply and wish them luck in thier search. Don't know about a "yes" reply, never had one. ( Where is the quivering lip icon? )
 soverncomfort
Msg: 28
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:10:06 PM
hmmm ....now this is a tricky one. I've always assumed that if someone doesn't reply or replies in the negative, then thats it so I wont reply again. There are one or two who have been really nice in their 'knock back' for want of a better phrase and I guess sometimes I'd like to send another message but I dont want to seem like the bloke who doesn't give up ....so I don't. Now that is a real quandry but there you are.

But then I still havent fully got the hang of this site yet ;-)
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 29
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/10/2012 10:25:42 PM
To be quite truthful, i`ve had so many mails deleted either read or unread, that i hardly mail any women now, or if i do, its nothing more than a comment or compliment on their profile, ( though even here, i think i only ever recieved an acknowledgement on two occasions ), so no, deffinately not persistant hahahaha :O)
 joanne85
Msg: 30
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/11/2012 1:48:56 AM
I very rarely send the first message. On occasions when i have done i've had one or two nasty replies so i basically gave up! However, on the occasions i did i would only send one message. I figured no reply meant not interested. I dont think i've ever had a 'no thanks' response, i just tend to get ignored! What kind of polite 'no thanks' messages are people sending? Unfortunately i am one of those people that just ignore myself! I think i'd rather be ignored than have a harsh reply so i do the same (not that i send harsh replies) but i do get the occasional persistent messagers that i feel would benefit from a polite not interested reply! Any suggestions?
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 32
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/25/2012 1:36:47 PM
If it's a first contact and I don't get a reply I'll generally drop it (though it's annoying when you've actually put some effort into the message!). If we've been chatting for a while and she disappears I'll try a second message a few days later and if I'm actually interested I'll send one after a few weeks before the conversation gets archived.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 50
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 11/6/2012 10:37:20 PM
i`m not at all persistent really, even where smoking is concerned, i only have to see "non smoker" when i click on a profile, and thats it, i click off,
 stylux
Msg: 52
How persistent are you?
Posted: 11/7/2012 1:11:11 AM
Well there's been no Harassment but Plenty Of Persistence (And I mean in terms of just trying to get a reply of people) And no it's not me .... My chat and messages never work ... my friends don't have the same problem! It doesn't give me great confidence it taking them up on of the paid upgrades. I've been on this site a year or so and so far it's been Plenty Of Nothing.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 57
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 11/8/2012 7:09:57 AM
Persistence was never my strong point with dating because it erodes my self respect and respect for the wishes of the women. Although I have felt sad at losing a few chances over the years from here.
All relegated to my wank bank. ;-)
 Loose_end
Msg: 59
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 11/9/2012 12:01:41 PM
1 message. Any more is pointless.

They needn't even bother sending a 'thanks but no thanks' reply. No reply is a big enough message for me.

Over the many years I've been a member on here, I find i spend most of my time people watching anyway. Unless I'm in a relationship, then i'm not here at all.
 matt e
Msg: 62
view profile
History
How persistent are you?
Posted: 11/15/2012 5:57:57 AM
I would never send another one if the first had been ignored. And if responses are slow in coming or I get amy thoughts that she's not really interested I give up. No point flogging a dead horse.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > How persistent are you?