Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > the joy of spring      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raxarsr
Msg: 1
view profile
History
the joy of springPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
made this last night.......figured i had to post......[plus.mebbe moonie will consider comming to visit...[jk].]

i started off with smoked trout dip......3 brook and 4 brown trout slowly smoked over apple and hickory.......shredded amd mixed wit equal parts cream cheese and sour cream........handfull of chopped chives....i used stone ground wheat crackers to dip in it

then i made about a pound of venisin tenderloins fried in bacon grease and onion

about a pound of fresh morels sauted in garlic butter

good handfull of asparagus

dandilion ...[yes you can eat it!].sauted in bacon fat....smothered in hot bacon dressing

nice crusty loaf of italian "everything bread"...[from walmart....the stuff is amazing].....toasted lightly

big slab of shoo-fly pie with home made french vanilla ice cream

cant wait till the strawberries are ripe
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 2
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/9/2012 12:31:36 PM
Crikey...sounds amazing, but I couldn't touch a bit. I have to watch what I eat!

Looking forward to the local strawberries here, too, as the imports are terrible. It's like eating plastic - NO flavour at all!
 Blalah
Msg: 3
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/9/2012 1:32:52 PM
I went to a bbq last night where the chocolate dipped strawberries were as big as large lemons. Never seen any like it. Went well with the mr ahi tuna, chicken, my pasta salad, brussel sprouts, green beans,tomatoes, brownie cookies, beer, wine, margaritas and a bottle of cobra snake and scorpion wine that the host smuggled from vietnam. It remains unopened. Just for show but he said it makes your whole body numb from the venom. Good for back pain.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 4
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/9/2012 4:54:16 PM
i'd like to have rax cook on a fishing trip. he knows his stuff.

k.w.
but i'm not eating squirrels

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 5
view profile
History
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/9/2012 6:29:07 PM
...Strawberries are ripe in NW Ohio. Local major producer says it's the first time they've ever picked berries this early. The early ones leave a little to be desired. Size is great...but flavour is a little weak. Has anyone ever noticed that the darker centered (as opposed to white centered) berries always seem to be much more flavourful?
 Moonchild51
Msg: 6
view profile
History
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/9/2012 7:59:57 PM
I love spring and all that it brings. In June comes fresh asparagus, strawberries. Followed by peaches, corn, big fat tomatoes.....bring it on! But please? Mr. Idiot? No flippin squirrel...that's just too gross! lol
 raxarsr
Msg: 7
view profile
History
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/9/2012 8:31:20 PM
oh come on...squirrel is excellent eating
 Moonchild51
Msg: 8
view profile
History
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/9/2012 8:39:30 PM
Much as I wuvs you Mr. Rax, no way in hell would or could I ever eat one of those! lol

OT: In back of my old house, in the spring, we would go back behind the fence into this huge field and pick spring onions....basically green onions....I miss doing that
 Blalah
Msg: 9
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/9/2012 9:49:16 PM
Squirrel can't be much worse that gopher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXcuqdgOgz8
 Moonchild51
Msg: 10
view profile
History
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 11:12:23 AM
Hey Paul! Many moons ago, no pun intended...lol. I used to can flats of strawberry jam. Not only was it costly but labour intensive! But you are correct. Open a jar of the in the winter time, smelling and tasting the fresh spring taste of the berries...OMG! Could I send you my addy and you can fedex me some? lol
 Blalah
Msg: 11
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 3:09:56 PM
^^^So you're saying for jam you can just put them in a ziplock bag with some simple syrup into the freezer without going through all the sterilizing/canning/jarring process? That would work for me.
 Blalah
Msg: 12
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 3:52:45 PM
Ok Paul.
Tanks eh.
That's something I never got into.
Was labor intensive enough making beer.
Don't like to work that hard (for food).

Blalah
Msg: 13
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 4:22:15 PM
plus there isn't much call to preserve anything here.
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 14
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:35:28 PM
I just bought some huge strawberries I am thinking about making a strawberry short cake for my mother for mothers day. What time is dinner rax? Someone we know is going to come along to say that I am going to copy a a recipe to make this cake. LOL
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 15
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:52:15 PM
Paul are you serious or a you kidding?
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 16
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 6:14:05 PM
I figured you where kidding. LOL our old friend (A) HA HA LOL! PAUL would you like a copy of my strawberry cake recipe. I am a silly bad girl LOL . Call the copy police LOL
 Moonchild51
Msg: 17
view profile
History
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 6:21:59 PM
This last summer I canned cukes for dill pickles, bread and butter pickles and also did up pickled beets. Ended up having something like 60 jars of these fresh delights! They are all day events for sure. One day I started out tired and that was a huge no no! The lifting of the heavy pots of water and the heat got to me. The second time I was well rested and it went like a breeze! lol....moral of the story? To preserve fresh spring/summer delights always make sure you stoke up your inner furnace!
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 18
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 6:24:40 PM
Moon would you like a copy of my strawberry cake LOL
 Moonchild51
Msg: 19
view profile
History
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 8:04:19 PM
Actually Funny, if you would care to share your recipe for strawberry cake, I would appreciate that. Is it low fat by any chance? lol...Strawberries come into season here early to late June, so your recipe would be perfect timing! And have never actually heard of strawberry cake...sheltered life, I know! lol
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 20
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/10/2012 8:58:27 PM
Judi thank you. He needs help. I agree that is why he is single. Moon it is not low fat it has fresh whip cream in it and sugar etc LOL. It is strawberry shortcake LOL. Some women did him wrong and most times it starts with the mother so now he has issues with women judi. He is very angry at women. I will post it if you do not mind that it is not low fat LOL. I feel sorry for men like him. I forgive him because he is not well.
 MsMicki
Msg: 21
view profile
History
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/11/2012 4:05:04 AM
Another Springtime favorite for me.........fried Poke stalks!
The Poke is young and tender and still small enough to be safe to eat.

And I must boast.......my asparagus patch kicked ass this year!
With the early warm weather it came on strong over a month ago and is still producing!!

I noticed my black raspberries are fully bloomed, so I'm anxiously awaiting the first crop of berries for a black raspberry cobbler!!

Got my garden completely planted and just counting the days till I can sink my teeth into a big juicy Indiana 'mater!!

and oh.....our mushroom season was a huge fail here.....I don't know one person that found more than a dozen.
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 22
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/11/2012 4:32:36 AM
I love making a cobbler with some fresh whip cream on top or Home made vanilla bean ice cream.
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 23
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/11/2012 4:45:29 AM
Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream:

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
Strawberry Compote, recipe follows

In a medium saucepan, bring the cream, milk, and vanilla bean to boil. In a large bowl, using a whisk or a rotary beater, whip the egg yolks. Gradually whisk in the sugar until thoroughly combined. Slowly whisk in the hot cream mixture and return to the saucepan. Over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook until the mixture heavily coats the back of the spoon. Return to the bowl and cool over ice. Strain into a clean bowl and freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Scrape 1/2 of the ice cream into a large container and swirl 1 cup of the strawberry compote through. Repeat with the remaining half of the ice cream and another 1 cup compote. Freeze, covered, until needed.

Strawberry Compote:

6 pints strawberries, stemmed
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 vanilla beans, split and scraped

In a 4-quart saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Add the vanilla beans and cook over low heat until the liquid begins to thicken, about 45 minutes. Lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes more, stirring. Remove from the heat and cool.
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 24
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/11/2012 4:49:43 AM
Ingredients

2 3/4 cups cake flour
1/4 cup sugar, plus additional to sprinkle on top
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1-ounce pieces
1 cup heavy cream, plus additional to brush on top
3 pints fresh strawberries, stemmed
2 or 3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons kirsch
1 teaspoon orange zest
Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream, recipe follows

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 1 or 2 baking trays with parchment paper and set aside. In a food processor, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt and pulse to combine. Add the chilled butter and process just until combined. With the motor running, add the cream through the feed tubes, stopping just before the dough forms a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead, forming a smooth ball. Do not overwork. Roll the dough out into a 3/4-inch thick round. Using a 3-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out 7 circles. Knead the scraps together, roll, cut out 3 more circles.

Arrange the circles on the prepared baking trays, brush the tops with cream and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cakes are golden and firm to the touch. Cool on a rack.

Meanwhile, rinse and drain the strawberries. Cut each berry into thick slices and toss with sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, kirsch, and orange zest, and gently mix. Set aside.

When ready to serve, split each shortcake in half and warm slightly. Place the bottom half of the shortcake on a dessert plate. Spoon about 1 cup of ice cream on the cake, arrange a scant cup of strawberries over and around the ice cream, and top with the remaining half of the cake. Serve immediately.
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 25
the joy of spring
Posted: 5/11/2012 4:54:11 AM
Ingredients
For the shortcakes:

1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 ounces milk chocolate, roughly chopped
2 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Raw or turbinado sugar, for sprinkling

For the toppings:

1 quart strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered if large (about 3 cups) if large
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream

Directions

Position a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Make the shortcakes: Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until sandy. Add the chocolate. Whisk 1 egg, the cream and vanilla in a glass measuring cup; stir into the flour mixture with a fork to make a shaggy dough (there will be some dry bits). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; pat flat until 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into 6 rounds with a knife or cookie cutter, using the scraps for the last cake.

Place the rounds on the baking sheet; freeze for 20 minutes. Beat the remaining egg; brush onto the cakes and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake until firm, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Meanwhile, make the toppings: Toss half of the strawberries with half of the sugar in a bowl; set aside. Place the other half of each in a saucepan; cook over medium-low heat, mashing with a fork to make a thick puree, about 10 minutes. Cool completely. Whip the cream with a mixer until medium peaks form; swirl in the strawberry puree.

Split the shortcakes in half. Layer some of the strawberry cream and reserved fruit on the bottoms; cover with the shortcake tops. Finish with more strawberry cream and the remaining berries.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > the joy of spring