Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Prisoner gets 41% against Obama in W.Va. primary      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Neopoli
Msg: 1
Prisoner gets 41% against Obama in W.Va. primaryPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
This is a wake-up call for all you adversarial liberals out there. West Virginia, an overwhelmingly Democratic state, cast 4-in-10 of their Democratic primary votes AGAINST the sitting President.

Moderate/conservative/Blue Dog/blue collar working-class Democrats(which makes up a fair chunk of the Democratic landscape) in many states, & many swing states will probably abandon their party's candidate and AGAIN vote Republican, much like what propelled Bush 43 into a 2-term presidency. They will most likely back moderate Mitt Romney . It will be fun to watch.

Prisoner gets 41% against Obama in W.Va. primary

President Obama is so unpopular with some West Virginia Democrats that they voted for a prisoner in yesterday's primary.

A prisoner in Texas, no less.

Keith Judd, who is serving a 17-year sentence at the Beaumont Federal Correctional Institution in Texas for making threats, actually, got nearly 41% of the vote against Obama in the West Virginia Democratic primary.

Judd, whose inmate number is 11593-051, actually carried at least eight counties in West Virginia.

"I voted against Obama," said Ronnie Brown, a 43-year-old electrician from Cross Lanes who called himself a conservative Democrat, told the Associated Press. "I don't like him. He didn't carry the state before and I'm not going to let him carry it again."

When asked which presidential candidate he voted for, Brown said, "That guy out of Texas."

I especially like this one....scumbag liberal politics at its finest!
Backers of the president are fighting back. One has set up a website dedicated to the prisoner -- keithjudd.com -- that links to a form for contributions to Obama's campaign..

Obama's energy and environmental policies are unpopular in a state dominated by coal mining interests.

West Virginia's top Democrats -- Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin and Sen. Joe Manchin -- have declined to say whether they will support Obama in November.

Also bear in mind: It's not like this was a truly competitive primary -- Obama already has the nomination locked up -- so Democratic turnout was quite low.

There could also be racial factors behind the vote.

Judd, meanwhile, has "run" before, in the Idaho Democratic primary of 2008 (he got less than 2% of the vote). Some states have easier ballot access laws than others.

This kind of thing has happened to Obama in previous primaries. As we reported in March, anti-abortion activist Randall Terry won 18% of the vote against the president in Oklahoma.

Obama's chances of carrying West Virginia -- or Oklahoma -- aren't too good in any event; John McCain carried both states easily four years ago.

"Keith Judd's performance is embarrassing for Obama and our great state," said West Virginia GOP Chairman Mike Stuart.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2012/05/prisoner-gets-41-against-obama-in-west-virginia/1
 TempusFujis
Msg: 2
Posted: 5/10/2012 7:38:36 AM
Nothing surprises me anymore, absolutely nothing
I Wonder if Fred Flintstone will run against President Obama, for all the birthers out there, Is Flintstone an American?
Do we really know where Bedrock is?
 trinity818
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/10/2012 10:41:14 AM
lol. I read that article this morning. Pretty funny. I guess that was their way of voting for "none of the above".

Can a felon even run for president?

They will most likely back moderate Mitt Romney

I don't know about that. The publicity about him being a bully back in high school isn't going to help his cause one bit.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2012 12:01:49 PM

The publicity about him being a bully back in high school isn't going to help his cause one bit.

Yeah? I hear in the 4th grade he called his teacher a nincompoop, too.

It's amazing, we don't even really know what Obama did in college, but we know Romney was a bully in high school. God, this election is going to be the biggest mudfest in the history of politics, because Obama has nothing of any merit to run on.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/10/2012 4:06:24 PM

God, this election is going to be the biggest mudfest in the history of politics, because Obama has nothing of any merit to run on.

So true as saving a sinking ship, stemming job losses, record profits on wall street and Budget Surplus of $59.1 Billion in April is surely nothign to run on.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/10/2012 10:04:33 PM

but we know Romney was a bully in high school.

We also know he was a socialpath in high school. One of his pals compared high school as sort of like Lord of the Flies. I could see Romney playing the role of Jack. Now all Romney needs to do is put on some mud face paint and the personality picture will be complete.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2012 10:54:29 PM

So true as saving a sinking ship, stemming job losses, record profits on wall street and Budget Surplus of $59.1 Billion in April is surely nothign to run on.

He saved a sinking ship? Really, still sinking as far as I can see.......stemming job losses? You mean like people that were making 15-20 dollars an hour are now making minimum wage part time and are being counted as success stories? Record profits on Wall Street...but I thought that was a bad thing. How can he he make that a good thing to the poor & downtrodden who think he is their savior?

We also know he was a socialpath in high school.

Tell you what, you get Obama's college transcripts and make them public and then maybe I'll act all concerned about what Mitt did 47 years ago. All I care about is if he can do a better job than Obama. I have doubts, but at least I am not going to base it on whether or not he bullied someone when he was a high school student. Everybody did dumb shit when they were teenagers, even Obama. By his own admission, he was a druggie. Libs had no problems with that, though.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2012 1:07:39 PM

"He didn't carry the state before and I'm not going to let him carry it again."

That bit cracks me up. This is the level of voter intelligence you find, when the primary doesn't matter to anyone who does know how to count higher than one.

Here's the only pertinent quote:

Obama's chances of carrying West Virginia -- or Oklahoma -- aren't too good in any event; John McCain carried both states easily four years ago.

It SHOULD have made the entire reporting of the story a no-go, but since it's "silly time" during election year, and since they had such a precious picture of the convict that they were ACHING to publish, they went ahead.
 Neopoli
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/11/2012 7:53:10 PM
Only eight states - New Hampshire, Missouri, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas, West Virgina, Arkansas, and Alaska - have permitted challengers to President Obama, while a ninth (Ohio) was going to have Randall Terry on the ballot, but removed his name before the ballots were printed. These are the only state primaries where you will be able to see these possible visible examples of widespread party dissention like you saw in WV.

Its plain & simple "Anybody but Obama" philosophy, but this time its our own Democrats chanting it. Romney wins most of these voters in November.

Democrats outnumber Republicans by a more than 2:1 margin in WV. John McCain was a viable moderate Republican presidential candidate running against a percieved liberal Democratic presidential candidate. The majority of non-liberal WV Democrats switched sides & supported the moderate candidate. That is how McCain carried heavily Democratic WV in 2008. That is a pertinant fact.

The bottom line is that an unknown prison inmate garnered over 40% of Democratic votes in the WV Democratic Primary against a percieved sitting liberal Democratic president. That is the pertinant factiod. This is the eye-popping reason the story was reported. When these very same anti-Obama moderate Democrats combine their votes with the state's Republicans in November, moderate Romney wins this overwhelmingly Democratic state. Hardly a no-go. Also I cant believe this all seems so "silly" to you.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/11/2012 8:51:26 PM

The bottom line is that an unknown prison inmate garnered over 40% of Democratic votes in the WV Democratic Primary against a percieved sitting liberal Democratic president.

I'm not surprised. Ever been to West Virginia? I have. Many many times. Lots of old white people there. Uneducated, poor old white people with bumper stickers on the car that read: "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

There is something about Obama they don't like in West Virginia, and it's not his political views.
 Neopoli
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/11/2012 11:05:06 PM
Yes, I grew up near Wheeling & spent almost 30 years of my life as a West Virginian. Thanks for the typical holier-than-thou insults & par-for-the-course stereotypecasting of West Virginians. How progressive of you!

There is something about Obama they don't like in West Virginia, and it's not his political views.

Are you hinting at racism? Sure sounds like it, in typical holier-than-thou fashion. I'd love to here more of your astute wisdom on the subject.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/12/2012 6:15:48 AM

Are you hinting at racism?

That should be obvious. Exit polls show that %20 of the voters stated race was a consideration when voting. That's the twenty percent who admitted to it.

I'd love to here more of your astute wisdom on the subject.

I'm surprised Obama does as well as he does in the polls. I would say 15% to 20% of the voters dismiss Obama out of hand simply because he is black (or half black because there is always one idiot on the boards who sees the need to point that out every time). I say people who are one issue voters, and the race of the candidate is that one issue, are racists. These types of people seem to be concentrated in certain areas of the country more than others; and West Virginia is one of those areas. There is no point in pretending that isn't true.

To overcome this numbers, Obama needs to get lucky. The first time around he did--Obama got lucky when McCain picked Sarah Palin as a running mate. Seems Obama may have gotten lucky again, seeing this time around, the Republicans have picked a lying, narcissistic, socialpath to run against Obama. Most people will see Romney for what he is--that is, unless the Koch Brothers and Carl Rove are success in painting a different picture of things with their billions of dollars. Then Obama won't be so lucky.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2012 6:25:51 AM
Something to keep in mind, is that when a candidate is a forgone conclusion, as it is for the Democrats, that when a primary is held anyway, that the most motivated people will tend to be those who oppose the candidate. A nonsense person was put into place there, and the turn out was tiny. 40% of less than a quarter of the electorate, is functionally meaningless, and the serious Republicans and the serious and mentally capable opponents of Obama know this.
 Neopoli
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/12/2012 7:26:54 AM

(Racism)? That should be obvious. Exit polls show that %20 of the voters stated race was a consideration when voting. That's the twenty percent who admitted to it.

Ok then...WV General election results over the past 12 years:

John McCain(GOP WASP) Popular vote 397,466 Percentage 55.6%

Barack Obama(DEM LIB MINORITY) Popular vote 303,857 Percentage 42.5%
------------------------------------

George W. Bush (GOP WASP) Popular vote 423,778 Percentage 56.1%

John Kerry(DEM LIB WASC) Popular vote 326,541 Percentage 43.2%
------------------------------------

George W. Bush (GOP WASP) Popular vote 336,475 Percentage 51.9%

Al Gore(DEM LIB WASP) Popular vote 295,497 Percentage 45.6%

Thanks for playing your very handy & well worn race card, , but as the obvious stats show, the NON_LIBERAL tends to win the heavily-Democratic WV vote every time, regardless of race, party affiliation, or political identity.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/12/2012 7:34:30 AM

Thanks for playing your very handy & well worn race card

Yes, conservatives like to make the assumption the race card has been played at every turn. However:

Exit polls show that %20 of the voters stated race was a consideration when voting.

It is what it is.

Barack Obama(DEM LIB MINORITY) Popular vote 303,857 Percentage 42.5%

That is a very low percentage for Obama--3 points below Gore. Considering Palin was McCain's running mate, I would say the numbers you have posted have indeed proved I am correct in saying that race is and was an issue. Thank's for proving my point for me.

Also, Igor, in his post above, made some valid points which I hadn't considered.
 Neopoli
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/12/2012 8:24:13 AM

Yes, conservatives like to make the assumption the race card has been played at every turn. However...

Sorry...As I always need to point out to blind-sided AD-LIBS , Im a life-long moderate registered Democrat. MODERATE. MODERATE. Always been & always will be. But that really doesnt matter to you, nor do you care to understand the definition. Of course not.

This shows AGAIN that adversarial liberals(AD-LIBS) judge you in straight yes/no fashion. You are either one of them, or you are the enemy. To them, there is no such thing as a moderate, as you can plainy see. Ive learned from experience that adversarial liberals hate us moderate Blue Dog Democrats as much as they hate everyone else, or any other group. Its a shame.

Ive also learned that adversarial liberals are the "white supremists" of the political spectrum. They hate more groups that make up the entire political rainbow than any other group in that rainbow. This & many other recent threads are living proof of that, & I am the moderate Democrat(LOL...as if it really matters what brand I am) in their crosshairs for not spewing pure doctrine partisan bullsh1t & nodding in blind agreement.

(42.5%)That is a very low percentage for Obama--3 points below Gore. Considering Palin was McCain's running mate, I would say the numbers you have posted have indeed proved I am correct in saying that race is and was an issue. Thank's for proving my point for me.

No, it makes no difference that he is a minority. He was within 3% points of Gore & Kerry. All other statistics show predictable historical trend voting; nothing eye-popping or out of the ordinary. All it tells me is that most all voters stood firm & voted, with the exception of Obama supporters. They simply didnt get out & vote, as the comparisons show.

Anyhow, It shapes up as a traditional 50-something percent non-liberal to a 40-something percent liberal spread over the past 3 election cycles when a percieved liberal is on the ticket. If you took that 3% "race card" difference from McCain & gave it blindly to Obama, he still loses to the moderate candidate in 2008.

BalderDog2
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/12/2012 9:08:59 AM

Im a life-long moderate registered Democrat. MODERATE. MODERATE.

You make this claim in many of your posts, but your posting history shows something much different. This is a typical conservative tactic: bashing those you claim to align yourself with.

No, it makes no difference that he is a minority. He was within 3% points of Gore & Kerry.

Three percentage points is a lot, especially when you factor in Palin. If it had been Gore or Kerry running against Palin/McCain, it would of been a nationwide blowout against McCain. No one with any since at all would of voted for McCain, not with the possibility that Palin would be sitting in the Oval Office if something happened to McCain. The American public is not that stupid. However, there were people who supported Palin /McCain--a lot of people. Why? How can it be explained? The answer is simple--a high percent of them would rather see a moron in the Oval Office than a black guy.

The West Virginia results shows this to be true; but instead of a moron rather than the black guy, they went with the white inmate rather than the black guy.
 Neopoli
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/12/2012 10:53:05 AM

You make this claim in many of your posts, but your posting history shows something much different. This is a typical conservative tactic: bashing those you claim to align yourself with.

My posting history reflects moderate non-liberal Democratic positions, nearly exactly on par with West Virginia's moderate Democratic Governor, 1 moderate/conservative Democratic Senator, & many moderate Blue Dog Democratic House members. Yes moderate, No, not liberal. Simple as that, but big difference. You cant see it nor understand that other Democrats dont support a liberal agenda....most true moderates included. You are the only one who questions this. True moderates do not question this. Neither do true conservatives - They know I dont support a true conservative agenda, but they see it, & accept it without bashing & insults. Only true liberals cannot tolerate this.

Typical liberal tactic: bashing those who are not aligned with your one-sided doctrine.

The answer is simple--a high percent of them would rather see a moron in the Oval Office than a black guy.

LMAO. Tell that to Kerry & Gore.

The glaringly obvious simple answer is a high percent of them would rather see a non-liberal(whoever that may happen to be at the moment)in the Oval Office than a liberal. Moderates know this & exercise this in the voting booth.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/12/2012 11:24:31 AM

They know I dont support a true conservative agenda

Spin it any way you like, your agenda is quite apparent.

The glaringly obvious simple answer is a high percent of them would rather see a non-liberal(whoever that may happen to be at the moment)in the Oval Office than a liberal.

So, West Virginian Democrats and Independents would rather see a Prison Inmate as the next President, rather than a liberal. Is that what you're claiming? I'm sure after you reread your post, you will see how absurd that sounds. I'll stick with: They'd rather have the inmate than the black guy.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/14/2012 10:40:43 PM
That they preferred a criminal locked up in Texas....
is hardly a tribute to the voting wisdom of West Va.
I mean what....they don't have any local moonshiners they could have voted for?

If the GOP wants to brag they have a lock on the stupid vote,
I say let em brag.
 Neopoli
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/16/2012 9:20:57 AM

Spin it any way you like, your agenda is quite apparent

I cant spin statistics as posted. They are what they are, & as a long time West Virginia Democrat, I understand what it means.

You are spinning so fast you look like the Tazmanian Devil of the forums.

OK..lets break it down in a way partisans MIGHT understand it. You claim racism because you posted that 20% of voters are racist(but never posted a link or credit to that claim), so that covers your a$$ in this spinfest, right?

20% of who/what/where?? If you see it for how its stated, that means 20% of ALL COLLECTIVE VOTERS may cite race as a factor - Democrat, Republican, Independent.. If thats the case, & it is not broken down per party, how can you believe the majority of those RACISTS must be conservative Republicans, as referenced in numerous threads in this forum. the latest being "GOP not even trying to hide their racism any more"??

If that is the case, that would have little factor in any Democratic primary, since the majority of all racist voters are believed to be Republicans or Independents, but they cannot vote against Obama in this Democratic primary. But your claim of racism shows Democrats are racist in far larger numbers (40+%) than anyone here is trying to claim. Darn those racist Democrats.

If you disagree, yet still embrace your original claim that 20% of all voters are racist, then one must also conclude there are MORE racist Democrats than there are racist Republicans, because Democrats outnumber Republicans by a larger margin nationally. 20% racist total of all Democrats MUST be a far larger number than 20% racist total of all lesser-numbered Republicans. If that were the case, Obama would have not been elected in the first place.

Looks like I may have to start a new thread called "DEMOCRATS not even trying to hide their racism any more".

So, West Virginian Democrats and Independents would rather see a Prison Inmate as the next President, rather than a liberal. Is that what you're claiming? I'm sure after you reread your post, you will see how absurd that sounds. I'll stick with: They'd rather have the inmate than the black guy.

And it may sound absurd to you, because you dont see the power of political ideology at work here. I could look at it just as much as, or simply no more than a protest vote, showing the lack of viable non-liberal candidates to choose from. If I were still voting in WV, I would do the same thing as a protest. I wont have that option in Ohio.

I have no idea what Independents want.....they cannot nor did not vote in the WV Democratic primary. It was only registered Democrats voting for or against Obama. I'm sure after you reread YOUR post, you will see how absurd that sounds.

Just because Obama runs unopposed in other states doesnt mean you must support him. An opposing candidate - no matter how absurd he/she may be - always get a small percentage of a protest vote.....BUT NOT 40+% OF THAT VOTE. These Democratic voters are showing you that they will not support the liberal in November. Period. The non-liberal/moderate/etc. will inevitably get those votes, as historically shown in past election cycles.

Anti-liberalism among old school traditional Democrats is just as strong as anti-conservatism among liberal Democrats. It has nothing to do with the "black guy", the Irishman, the Catholic, or the southern "good ole boy" , because each one of those liberals only got %40-something percent of the vote. Dead on par with the liberal only getting %40-something percent of the vote in 2012, dead on par with the liberal only getting %40-something percent of the vote in 2008, dead on par with the liberal only getting & %40-something percent of the vote again back on 2004, & dead on par with the liberal only getting %40-something percent of the vote again back in 2000.

The last Democrat to win WV was moderate Clinton, in 1992 & 1996, which further proves that they would rather see a moderate than a moron/inmate/black guy/liberal/insert whatever slur you wish/as the next President.
 part deux
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2012 12:17:14 AM
Nice to see that you lump "black guy" in with "moron/inmate".
Even more interesting, is that you consider "black guy" a slur.
 Neopoli
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/17/2012 8:16:46 AM
LMAO All of your above mentioned slurs were presented by HIM - not by me - as slurs in his posts to reinforce HIS positions. All part of that "spin". Please read ALL posts(not just the ones you agree with).

I was referencing that one of many slurs from posts #17 & 19 in regards to it being used AS A SLUR, as applied, to reinforce his disturbing & prejudiced quote about "racist" West Virginian Democrats.:

Lots of old white people there. Uneducated, poor old white people with bumper stickers on the car that read: "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

His insertion of the phrase "black guy" several times after posting this disturbing bit was presented as a reinforcing racial slur showing his perspective of how he thinks West Virginia Democrats see the President, which amplifies his intent to broadcast his belief that West Virginians hold racial prejudice against the "black guy", who is otherwise known to us as liberal President Obama.

The race card is alive & well ! Long live the race card!!
 part deux
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2012 9:18:02 AM
Sorry, I can read, but apparently you can't. You are the only one who considers "black guy" a slur.
Furthermore, you seem to lack any critical thought when it comes to the media. If you note, in the article you copied, only percentages are offered. Do you not think that if the turnout for the primary had been a substantial amount of the electorate, the numbers would have been published, along with the percentages?
41% of what number?
Don't beat yourself up, most people are not media literate.
 Neopoli
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/17/2012 12:59:02 PM

41% of what number?

41% OF ALL VOTING WV DEMOCRATS.

Do you not think that if the turnout for the primary had been a substantial amount of the electorate, the numbers would have been published, along with the percentages?

No. Why do you?
Primary turnouts are never a "substantial amount of the electorate". You're lucky to get 20% turnout in any given primary of this nature. But if you insist...

WV Democratic Presidential Primary results.

~Registered Republicans & Independents CANNOT vote in the WV Democratic primary.
~Only registered WV Democrats & a very small number of specifically UNREGISTERED voters can, & those are the results of that very specific undiluted, unaltered Democrat-only vote.

~West Virginia's population is around 1.8 million people.
~About 1.2 million of them are registered voters:

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/ElectionCentral/200804280255

~Democrats hold a majority 2:1 registration margin in West Virginia vs. Republicans/Independents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_U.S._states

~That accounts for a ballpark 665,000 eligible registered Democratic voters who can vote in the WV Democratic primary:

http://www.ask.com/answers/143394621/registered-republicans-vs-registered-democrats-in-west-virginia

~ Nearly 200,000 votes were cast by WV Democrats in the primary, or about 28% turnout of all registered Democrats, which is par for the course nationally & historically....nothing eye-popping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2012

I understand what you all are trying so desperately to rebut, & that is that somehow you think Obama supporters didnt vote, but all of Obama opposers did, therefore the primary results are horribly skewed. Thats just plain wrong, because that generally never happens in the best of conspiracy theories, as much as you wish to dream otherwise, & it didnt happen in WV.

Granted, a larger number of Obama opposers probably did make their way to the polls, vs Obama supporters, but not in numbers large enough to change any or all results of the general WV Democratic sentiment, which substantiates the fact that Romney leads Obama by 17 points in WV, an overwhelmingly Democratic blue state..

http://www.dailymail.com/mediafiles/document/2012/04/30/WVpoll-2012-1a_I120430222601.pdf

All it does is reinforce the primary results in question by you, which shows that when that 17 point Romney lead of ALL voters in WV in the poll is dissected along party lines, it reproves that up to 40% of Democrats oppose Obama in WV, as the primary has shown.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Prisoner gets 41% against Obama in W.Va. primary