Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Any good diets to cut tummy fat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jennink26
Msg: 1
Any good diets to cut tummy fat?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Like the title says are there any good diets to help reduce stomach fat? I am thin pretty much everywhere else except for a lil extra on my thighs and arms. But my stomach is the main issue. I know exercise is a part of it but also if I have 20-30lbs of fat covering it, then it wont help lol Any suggestions are appreciated thanks. :)
 lovelikewinter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Any good diets to cut tummy fat?
Posted: 5/12/2012 10:11:57 PM
Spices like cumin, black pepper, red pepper, jalepenos, etc. Are good for burning fat. Stomach fat is the hardest to get rid of and soft drinks are also a big problem.
 jennink26
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/12/2012 10:14:36 PM
Thanks. yea I try not to drink any soda if I can.
 jml100
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/13/2012 12:04:28 AM
Here are some tips!

*Just make sure you eat whole foods, by that I mean Meats, Fruits, Vegetables etc...minimal to no processed foods. Remember, It takes life to give life!
*Eat Protein, Fats and Carbs with every meal/snack
*Drink water! 1L per 30kg of body weight (if you drink coffee or exercise then drink a bit more water)
*Get to sleep no later than 10.30pm to help with your bodies recoveries
*Move for at least 30mins a day!
 A_Gent
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/13/2012 3:39:25 AM
You can't spot reduce.. it's an all over process.

You can control your posture and develop the habit of not letting your belly muscles sag.

You can eat less and be more active.

Or be more active and eat less.

It's that simple and that hard.

Anything else is delusion or entertainment along the way.
 felinewriter
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 7:13:14 AM
Totally disagree with the last guy - there's lots of research now which tells us that WHERE we store fat on our bodies can be affected by things like stress, etc. It's not clear why this is true yet but surely there's an interesting evolutionary basis for it (and surely there are genetic differences between us too). I just picked up a magazine (two days ago) at whole foods (at checkout) called: self guide flat abs made easy - I'm was looking for more ab work outs and it has a ton of info on foods to eat, not eat, when, other things that affect bodyfat. Lots of good recipes too. Some good foods (but you should read it to understand how much, when, etc.): green tea (supposedly revs metabolism); whole grains & lentils (both keep insulin levels low, which may downsize fat cells according to a recent study); "women who took in water-rich foods" (apples, grapes, cucumber) more than just drinking their fluids had smaller waists; yogurt - there's a study (Univ Tenn) which says people on a diet which included non-fat yogurt lost 81 percent more ab fat than those on the same diet without yogurt; more protein...one element here is that they also think calcium may help your body store less fat (and we women have to watch our calcium intake as we age).
Also I've heard before that caffeine before exercise can help your body metabolize your fat better. This magazine repeats that research too.

Also, not to scold the guy who's not up on his research but here's another tip I learned in this magazine: "blood sugar peaks signal your body to store fat around the midsection" - so they are saying, try to even out your meals thru the day. I rarely read these kinds of things but am really enjoying it. Publisher is Conde Nast. Good luck!!!
 stayfit4life
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:41:40 AM
Feline seems to be correct; re: spot reduction. You can reduce your belly . All good points. I have found. 5 meals daily. 3- 30 minute workouts, and various ab exercises throughout the day seem to work. Avoid all whites. Sugar,salt and flour. Insta-gut. I'm 53 and I can not tell tell you how sexy a woman is with a well maintained abdominal area is. Not only regarding asthetics but maintaining a flat stomach makes living easier. Years ago, Mike Schmidt of the Phillys stated that a man's physical and sexual prowess can be noted by the condition of his mid-section; very true. Your immune system is also located in the core area. Time to get lean and mean.

Can you provide us less knowing with some research/studies as I am only aware of 1 and it wasn't very convincing.
 stayfit4life
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:48:09 AM
Totally disagree with the last guy - there's lots of research now which tells us that WHERE we store fat on our bodies can be affected by things like stress, etc. It's not clear why this is true yet but surely there's an interesting evolutionary basis for it (and surely there are genetic differences between us too). I just picked up a magazine (two days ago) at whole foods (at checkout) called: self guide flat abs made easy - I'm was looking for more ab work outs and it has a ton of info on foods to eat, not eat, when, other things that affect bodyfat. Lots of good recipes too. Some good foods (but you should read it to understand how much, when, etc.): green tea (supposedly revs metabolism); whole grains & lentils (both keep insulin levels low, which may downsize fat cells according to a recent study); "women who took in water-rich foods" (apples, grapes, cucumber) more than just drinking their fluids had smaller waists; yogurt - there's a study (Univ Tenn) which says people on a diet which included non-fat yogurt lost 81 percent more ab fat than those on the same diet without yogurt; more protein...one element here is that they also think calcium may help your body store less fat (and we women have to watch our calcium intake as we age).
Also I've heard before that caffeine before exercise can help your body metabolize your fat better. This magazine repeats that research too.

Also, not to scold the guy who's not up on his research but here's another tip I learned in this magazine: "blood sugar peaks signal your body to store fat around the midsection" - so they are saying, try to even out your meals thru the day. I rarely read these kinds of things but am really enjoying it. Publisher is Conde Nast. Good luck!!!
============================================================================

If you are going to mention a study could you please provide a link to it or name as many times what you read in an article is information taken out of context or not the whole truth. Prime example would be how people where harping about the study that said doing HIIT burned 9 times more fat then steady cardio yet that group lost a whopping 1/10 of a lb in a 15 week study and the steady group lost 1/2 a lb in 20 weeks. That study in my opened was a waste of time and money and proved nothing.
 satx78218
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 9:12:24 AM
yes, visceral fat is different (and more dangerous) than sub-cutaneous fat.

But I really doubt IN PRACTICE that "spot reducing" visceral fat is achievable, in general.

And I bet that nutrition that reduces sub-cutaneous fat also leaves visceral fat unreduced.

So, in practice, spot reducing is really a myth.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 10:49:42 AM
Less calories in and more calories out.
A gent

Anything else is delusion or entertainment along the way.

True

Being fit and active doesn't spot reduce any fat but it helps with posture, muscle tone and the way we carry ourselves. I'm in my 50's and have a good set of abs. young guys at the gym want to know what protein shakes I take and exercises I do to get them thast way...answer...NONE. I just don't have any excess fat. I'm a vegetarian. Our abs are naturally a decent size...good supporting bsck muscles and a toned body bring them out.
 A_Gent
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/13/2012 7:42:34 PM

Also, not to scold the guy who's not up on his research but here's another tip I learned in this magazine.
Well everyone is entitled to an opinion...but that doesn't mean that everyone's opinion is necessarily entitled.

There does seem to be ONE peer reviewed paper on the subject of spot reducing http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16985258 but please note that exercises were done 25%, 55%, and 85% max levels for 30 minutes of exercise on one leg while comparing to the other rested leg... and there was some increased lipids in the exercise leg. In theory, it can be POSSIBLE to spot reduce.. but in practice it has not been demonstrated in subjects doing the equivalent abdominal exercises.

Otherwise, the preponderance of articles, academic and lay, say BS to the notion of spot reducing. http://www.google.ca/search?q=can%20I%20spot%20reduce%20fat&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np
 jennink26
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:26:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I know spot reducing is hard to do. I know it will come off all over. But my stomach is my main issue, so that is why I was asking. In the past I have found that eating lots of salads and chicken and very little bread,pasta, rice helped a ton. Just hard to eat lots of veggies and chicken on a college student's income lol Sadly the bad stuff: pasta, bread, rice are cheaper. My father told me that if I cut out all diary, because I am allergic to it, that in 4-6 weeks time to let my body flush out all the bad stuff, that I would drop weight fast. He knows because he did it in the navy when a nutritionist told him he was allergic to diary and it worked for him. And continued to work for him over the years when he gained weight around his midsection. Physically we are similar in the fact that we gain and loose weight in the same areas. I am going to try it, just hard when I love cheese.
 A_Gent
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:51:34 PM
eat less.... be more active.

or.

be more active.. eat less.

anything else is just a variation on that basic theme.

there are no shortcuts... just ways to entertain yourself.

sure... eating less dairy as long as you don't add other calories you will lose weight just because you are eating less calories total.

same reason why the white diet works... because you eat less junk and high starch food.. and thereby less calories... and it's okay to eat cauliflower.. but don't then load up on other sources of excess calories.

Eat more fruit, vegetables, and whole grains. More than you are now.
Eat less meat, dairy, and egg. Less than you are now.
Avoid processed foods.
Take a multivitamin daily.
Alcohol if at all in moderation.
Exercise in abundance. More than you are now.

Read good books... might as well exercise the brain too.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2012 4:30:48 AM
A lot of "diets" cut tummy fat ( and all over).
If you carry more in the belly than hips or buttocks it will seem more difficult.

I am not naturally prone to a large belly..I get hips but I have noticed eating healthy fats.nuts help because I have less belly fat than when I was this size/weight as a teen/20s.

I thought all fat was bad..We learn better.

Stress management as said, proper sleep patterns and low to no sugar unless it occurs in food naturally.
Any food/drink that has a high glycemic load ( different than index) should be avoided.

Veggies for fiber
Coconut oil, Cinnamon
Cayenne and Ginger.
Chromium picolinate in a multi at least 200 mcg..twice a day max
Alpha lipoic acid.
Calcium and magnesium
C
B complex 50
5htp may help , just do not exceed 300 mg in divided doses in a day and make sure you are not taking anti depressants

Some spices and supplements help regulate blood sugar and good fats are needed to not "hold on" to fat stored.
Your body wants to hold that fat..eating fat tells your body you are getting fat and will release stored fat better.

Its not an overnight thing.
Its a lifestyle change.

Good luck
 jaqi
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2012 10:21:36 AM

Just hard to eat lots of veggies and chicken on a college student's income lol Sadly the bad stuff: pasta, bread, rice are cheaper.

My daughter was in the same position as you. While she was away at university she piled on the lbs from eating pasta, processed foods etc., not only in large amounts but also at the wrong time of the day. When she came back to live at home and started earning a wage she was able to buy better foods and went wheat, gluten and dairy free like me and, like me, she ate according to her blood type. This gave her much more energy, she lost the lbs and had much more incentive and motivation to workout and looked and felt the best ever. She carries a lot of excess weight around her midsection and she notices~and so do I notice it~ that she expands in that area whenever she slips from eating this way.

Good luck with the changes you want to make and try eating a little goats cheese or mozzarella or cottage instead of hard cheese. You won't want to eat as much of it so that should offset the cost.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/14/2012 10:46:33 AM

No.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2012 2:50:00 PM

Just hard to eat lots of veggies and chicken on a college student's income lol Sadly the bad stuff: pasta, bread, rice are cheaper.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let me repeat dried beans and eggs.
Frozen veggies are always on sale.

Shop at a discount store.
Buy in bulk with like minded buddies. Split it up.

Hit a fruit stand or market and negotiate what I call "ugly fruit".
A few bruises or dents.

I have a strict budget myself.
That's life.
 jennink26
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/14/2012 6:56:20 PM
@ jaqi-I'm allergic to cheese so no I wont eat any of it from now on. If i HAVE to have cheese I eat organic dairy free cheese. One brand Ive tried and liked is made from rice protein I believe. I forget the name of it, I found it at earth fare. And what do u mean ate according to her blood type? My blood type is O negative.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2012 7:54:16 PM
If folks would reduce one food in their diet for better health, it should be dairy. No need to completely eliminate animal milk, but confine consumption to a few specialty cheeses as a 'treat'. Try avoiding 'mild' cheddars, etc. You just end up eating 'more' to get the same taste as a smaller portion of sharp cheese.

Cheese is so darn good. Eating a bit of cheese now and then is what keeps me being a vegetarian instead of a vegan (at least at home).
 LimesnAppl
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/14/2012 11:40:27 PM
I've ate only raw food since I was in highschool + jogging. I didn't lose belly fat(I don't have any), but a lot of people do.

If you continue with that diet long enough, you will reach your ideal BMI.
 satx78218
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2012 3:25:12 AM
correction (negatives!)

"And I bet that nutrition that reduces sub-cutaneous fat also leaves visceral fat unreduced."

should be

"And I bet that nutrition that reduces sub-cutaneous fat also reduces visceral fat"
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/15/2012 10:32:25 AM
Just keep with the low fat diet, eventually, it will all come off. Some parts of your body will just retain it or it will be more noticeable, for a longer period than other parts.

If you are not dieting at all, I suggest the old Body for Life plan that uses the Eating for Life cookbook. This plan was really good, but the new plan is just a scam in my opinion.
 jaqi
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2012 1:34:20 PM
jennink26 just google eat right for your type and you can read up on it. It suits me and my daughter. I have been eating according to my blood type for about 3 years or there abouts and what started as a 6 week trial just became a lifestyle. I am O group and that is the hunter gatherer and therefore a meat eater. I don't want to go in to it here as there was a whole thread on it, which is actually how I found out about it. I was wheat gluten and dairy free before reading the book and was pleased to find it advocated eating that way for O group.

I haven't been able to find dairy free cheese that I like particularly. I bought some the other day and ended up using it for cooking as it was more palatable that way. :)
 nv954
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2012 8:51:07 PM
dont drink soda
try to stay away from alcohol
dont eat anything heavy in carbs after 6 pm ( pasta, bread) try a salad with tuna,light dressing
try to do some form of cardio..walk, or run if you can at least 15 min a day
stay away from fast food

you have to balance your calorie intake depending on how much activity you do each day.

if you have any questions message me, im a personal trainer and nutritionist
 shmodzilla
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/17/2012 4:58:42 PM
All I am going to add to this is the very first thing you need to learn. The word or term " diet " Lose that thought, take a breath and now start saying
" proper diet " One works , the other might work for awhile and make you miserable in the process.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Any good diets to cut tummy fat?