Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Relationship Obsessive Compulsive Disorder      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yourhandyman1
Msg: 1
Relationship Obsessive Compulsive DisorderPage 1 of 1    
Hi All

Was wondering if anyone here has ever dated someone with ROCD? Dated a lady for almost 18 months who had mild OCD, which was no problem. But it seems that everything I said was taken so negatively that she felt I was always putting her down and she killed off the relationship 4 times, only to come back again. Things would be fine for a month or so, then without changing what I said or the way I said things, we would go down that same spiral again.

Has anyone experienced something similar and what did you do?
 gingerosity
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Relationship Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Posted: 5/15/2012 2:08:48 AM
...had mild OCD, which was no problem. But

But... it obviously was a problem. Do you feel guilty to admit it was a problem?

she killed off the relationship 4 times, only to come back again

You had no say? Where was your self-respect in all of this?

Has anyone experienced something similar and what did you do?

"Those who look outwards, dream but those who look inwards, awake." - Jung

"Let us all be brave enough to die the death of a martyr, but let no one lust for martyrdom."- Gandhi
 Hilly02
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/15/2012 2:20:50 AM
Was she diagnosed as this or is this just what she said?
Anyway...its irrelevent really I suppose, seeing as its over now.
Always date sane people and avoid whackjobs is a good rule to follow.
 yourhandyman1
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/16/2012 6:14:04 PM
Hilly02, it's not always easy to pick the sane ones. As the saying goes "The whole world's mad except me and thee, and sometimes I even wonder about thee!". This lady was bright, fun and intelligent in so many ways, and on a good day was the nicest person to be around, but the bad times were really bad, not to mention mentally tiring, having to watch what and how you say things so that they wouldn't offend.

On another note, I grew up in your area, even went to school there, which is now a huge unit/townhouse complex!
 tensail
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:00:48 AM
she suffers frm low eq, unless shes gets awareness n does inner work shel b unhappy 4 rest of life, moderm women have been screwed up a lot by feminism so i kinda feel soory 4 her- its not uncommon.
 Hilly02
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:18:17 AM
^^^Speaking of OCD...I suspect you may have a case of it regarding feminism and low EQ. Sorry but what a crock.
Everyone has their own quirks and hang ups...it makes us human and makes life interesting.
 tensail
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/25/2012 2:34:25 AM
some r aware n clever some r not
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/20/2012 1:45:19 AM
It's possible she has Borderline Personality Disorder. It's very common in women. If you feel like you are constantly walking on egg shells....and you feel insecure even though you are doing everything right...then that's a sure sign.
 kmac6
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2012 2:55:21 AM
So many labels for different behaviours... What difference does it make what it is called. You are either ok with it or you are not. Do we all have to be diagnosed, catergorised, pidgeonholed to become socially acceptable?

If I could start a new thread myself it would be.. 'When do unnacceptable behaviours become mental illnesses?'

And who would determine this? ... Where do you draw the line?.... Just my take on it?
 sempre12
Msg: 10
It's possible she has Borderline Personality Disorder. It's very common in women. If you feel like
Posted: 2/24/2013 5:00:43 AM
Hi GuessWhat1964, You might be right about possible Borderline Personality Disorder............ you always do feel like you are walking on egg shells if they are truly Borderline..................Trust me i was married to one, it's not a pleasant situation to be in, in fact it's soul destroying !!.........and he was not a woman!!! It happens to men and women..
 Paul9473
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/24/2013 12:36:51 PM
I'd also put my vote for borderline - have experience with that but won't rant. There are so many overlapping labels that a variety of things could be assigned. Either way 18 months of piling up negative views of your actions, in her mind she must have ended up hating you. Be glad it didn't go on for longer.
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/25/2013 4:05:31 PM
So many tales of bad exes around this place. Apparently it's only ever the good, hard done by exes who find their way to pof.

OP your own perspective is inevitably going to feature you as the good guy and her as the bad guy. Not knowing either of you, it is equally possible that you could be the type who does constantly put your partner down, causing this person to get fed up and walk away. (but then get lonely and come back cos some people will 'settle' for lousy treatment rather than be alone.) The fact that you are now assigning her a label in order to portray her as faulty certainly demonstrates a certain capacity to 'put her down'.

I’d think “mis-matched pairing” before I’d think “disorder”. Unless “just wasn’t in love with you” counts as a disorder these days.
 gingerosity
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2013 4:31:34 AM

I’d think “mis-matched pairing” before I’d think “disorder”.

These are not necessarily mutually exclusive propositions. The former can lead to exacerbating the symptoms of the latter, just as various dependencies associated with the latter can contribute to the formation of the former. In the absence of a clinical assessment, prematurely dismissing concerns of serious underlying issues is as reckless as the apparent deluge of self-exonerating personality disorder labels.
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/12/2013 6:55:09 PM
^^^ I have Reckless Disorder-Dismissing Disorder". It causes me to fail to presume that everyone who acts in a way that I may not like, understand or agree with must therefore have a disorder.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Relationship Obsessive Compulsive Disorder