Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > green eyes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 julianx.2
Msg: 2
green eyesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Jealousy is rampant on dating sites.
 gingerosity
Msg: 3
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 5/21/2012 5:14:14 AM
green eyed people make up 2% of the worlds population, it seems to me it is proportionately larger on POF??...is that true??

Eye colour of women on POF, 75 mile radius from Portsmouth, UK. Number of pages of profiles:

Blue 29
Hazel 11
Grey 2
Green 12
Brown 22
Other 4

Total = 80
'Green' = 12/80 = 15%

So yes, in your area it is true.

...and if so why would that be??

Here are a couple of possibilities off the top of my head:
1) Green eyed women are more likely to use internet dating than others
2) Women using internet dating are more likely to claim green eyes
3) Women in Portsmouth have a higher than usual incidence of green eyes

A possible reason for case 1) would be that green eyes are not seen as attractive by men in person, so women with green eyes are forced to use internet dating to find a mate.

A possible reason for case 2) would be that women see green eyes as more attractive and so those whose eyes are 'nearly' green are more likely to claim green than the 2% measured objectively.

A possible reason for case 3) would be a limited local gene pool.

Personally I think case 2) is the most likely, though it could be a combination of these factors or there could be more reasons. With some more data for other areas you could rule 3) out easily enough, but to determine if case 1) or 2) are contributors you would probably need to do a more involved test with surveys and objective measurements of eye colour.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 5/21/2012 5:20:48 AM
Number one most likely reason: some guy with green eyes "did" all the women in your area a generation back.

Number two: the woman (and the men pretending to be women) in your area are all stealing pictures of green eyed people to fake their profile.

Number three: they don't have green eyes, they have green contact lenses, because they like green eyes.

Number four: Space Aliens.

Number five: Your PC's screen is going wrong, and so you THINK everyone has green eyes.
 gingerosity
Msg: 8
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 5/21/2012 5:40:27 AM
green eyed people make up 2% of the worlds population

Genetics seems likely to at least partially explain this. Notice that 36% claimed blue eyes? Worldwide blue eyes are only 2.2%, and green is rarer. Yet in Iceland 89% of women have blue or green eyes. Among European Americans, green eyes are most common among those of recent Celtic and Germanic ancestry, about 16%.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 5/21/2012 11:35:17 AM
I forgot to mention one other possibility: if we are talking about what color these folks SAY their eyes are, then another real explanation, is "wishful thinking."

Lots of us blue-eyed people want to feel more special, so instead of saying our eyes are blue (actually, a truly BLUE eye color is pretty rare as well), we might choose to say we have grey eyes, green eyes, hazel eyes, etc. It's like in another forum post hereabouts, where people who are a bit overweight, wishfully report that they are "Athletic."

When I look closely at my own eyes, I would say overall, that they strike me as being blue-ish. But some days they look washed out and close to grey, sometimes in the right light, they look a little on the blue-green side. But i'm sticking with blue, simply because that's what it says on my DL, and I'm not willing to fuss about it.
 lookingforsophia
Msg: 11
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 5/21/2012 3:06:10 PM
My eyes are Hazel; but I'm thinkin bout going Green.

Green seems to be popular these days.

Helped install a Bamboo floor for a friend the otherday.
She said it was Green cause it's a grass;
but it looked Blonde to me?
 fillyphilly
Msg: 12
green eyes
Posted: 5/21/2012 4:07:34 PM
I've seen mostly hazel listed. I looked up the definition of hazel and it's light brown, like those light brown contact lenses they sell. That's the color of my eyes with a greenish tint so I put hazel just to amuse myself because my eyes are a very light greenish brown.
When I lived in Scandinavia I was one of two brown eyed people in our city.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 13
green eyes
Posted: 5/21/2012 7:53:41 PM
^^^I put hazel because I thought brown and green made hazel? Not to imply I'm a cat, each eye is both brown and green but not blended, it's a mess.
Besides, there is no option for 'forest green" lol They work just fine though.

I would concur with the conclusions in gingerosity's marvelous post but I would go a little further in attributing number 2) to the fact that most people are dirty rotten liars...especially in here.
 tulipsarebetter
Msg: 14
green eyes
Posted: 5/22/2012 9:01:10 AM
While green eyes are 2% of the world population they no doubt make up a significantly larger percentage of the eye colors of European populations.

There are billions of Asian, Indians, and Africans with close to zero chance of having green eyes. You just aren't seeing those people on this site because of simple demographics. If people in your area are Caucasian... you're going to see green eyes in more than 2% of them.
 francy54
Msg: 15
green eyes
Posted: 5/27/2012 5:58:04 PM
I have green eyes also. But really there are only two colors of eyes ,blue and brown. Eyes have a coating over then, clear or yellow. Blue eyes with a clear coat are blue and blue eyes with a yellow coat are green
 francy54
Msg: 16
green eyes
Posted: 5/27/2012 5:58:44 PM
I have green eyes also. But really there are only two colors of eyes ,blue and brown. Eyes have a coating over then, clear or yellow. Blue eyes with a clear coat are blue and blue eyes with a yellow coat are green
 PinkZombies
Msg: 17
green eyes
Posted: 5/28/2012 4:20:53 AM
^^^
Ohhh. Lol, what?!
 lookingforsophia
Msg: 18
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 5/28/2012 5:55:18 AM
Sunshine
Light Blue Sky above
Green waves on sandy shore
Absorb and reflect golden brown
Rainbow ribbons refract in the mist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color
 sweetlonelyheart
Msg: 19
green eyes
Posted: 5/28/2012 10:28:27 AM

Well I suppose I do have green eyes then as I was told I had blue eyes as a child and now I am told many times that my eyes appear yellow alot. I am not sure why there are more people on POF with green eyes.. I dont think this is accruate....I havent noticed; maybe it is a matter of attraction when you view their profile??
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 20
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 5/29/2012 1:35:01 AM
I have noticed the disproportial green eye thing on this site and on Matchwhere is s very disproportional to the stats.

I think people with hazel eyes often say they are green as it is far more sexy. Thos with grey or blue witha touch of green even if grey or blue s more prominant might too also claim sexy green.

If there is any truth in the stereotype of green eyed people being more jealosu than others then maybe they break up more and so might use websites more but that is still only a small a mount of people.
 _shakti_
Msg: 21
green eyes
Posted: 5/31/2012 10:20:03 PM
Sometimes my eyes are green and sometimes blue, but I went with the latter. I could easily have gone the other way though.
 NotSeekin
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Green, Hazel, etc. eyes
Posted: 6/13/2012 8:37:26 PM
Eye colors of women:

... Blue 29
Hazel 11
Grey 2
Green 12
Brown 22
Other 4

Another factor is that a lot of men suffer some amount/kind of color blindness. Few women do. For example, I can't always tell the exact eye color, so I look at what the woman listed. So it's funny to me that someone would say they have gray eyes.
 Kariann71
Msg: 23
Green, Hazel, etc. eyes
Posted: 6/14/2012 5:21:21 AM
I grew up in Wisconsin and came across far more fellow green-eyed people than I have here in Indiana. There seem to be colonies of us in certain areas.
 judiek
Msg: 24
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 6/14/2012 7:00:40 AM
Women with hazel eyes are more likely to check 'green' in the eye color question. It sounds better than hazel. Hazel is also ambiguous, there is hazel green, hazel blue, hazel amber, hazel brown, saying green is just easier and let the guy figure out for himself. Hazel eyes change color and are often very green other times very brown, there is no place to say that.
 NotSeekin
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Green, Hazel-? eyes
Posted: 6/14/2012 8:27:23 PM

... there is hazel green, hazel blue, hazel amber, hazel brown, saying green is just easier and let the guy figure out for himself. Hazel eyes change color and are often very green other times very brown ...

Good comment; educational. That is part of why I really like to see hazel colored eyes. And it's a treat to see green eyes, too.
 rockondon
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Green, Hazel-? eyes
Posted: 6/15/2012 11:13:11 AM
Green eyes is very rare in much of the world. Among european americans the prevalence of it is about 16%.

My eyes are usually green, but often appear blue.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 27
green eyes
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:40:57 PM
Because they are lying about the color of their eyes. Green sounds more exotic, so they stretch it a bit. My eyes are blue, but when I was a teenager, I said that they were "greenish-blue," so I speak from experience.
 PinkZombies
Msg: 29
green eyes
Posted: 6/20/2012 12:24:02 PM
My eyes are really green, no mistaking it in any light. Sometimes I get "accused" of wearing colored contact lenses.
 soicat
Msg: 30
green eyes
Posted: 6/20/2012 12:59:37 PM
When I got my first driver's license there was an old guy there who had to put down my eye colour. He said that he'd never seen - in the thousands of eyes he'd looked at over the years - my eye colour. He was actually annoyed with me. He finally decided to go with green and so that's what I still call them when pressed.

Perhaps green is the default choice for eyes that have some green in them but are otherwise hard to classify?
 lookingforsophia
Msg: 31
view profile
History
green eyes
Posted: 6/20/2012 1:27:04 PM
I had a traffic cop look at my driver's license and say 'Hazel?';
then look at me like my name was Sue or something.

Green Grow
the rushes ohh...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > green eyes