Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > ive hit a wall      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 missmaddy
Msg: 1
ive hit a wallPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
hello there healthy folks!

ive been on a weight loss mission for a while and ive lost a total of 56 lbs. ive been going to the gym and eating helthy but over the past month its become really hard to lose wight. its like ive hit a plateau. i work out about 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. and im only taking in 1800 calories a day. i really dont have any more time to spend at the gym and i still need to lose about 40 more lbs to have a helthy BMI. any suggestions??
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 2
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/21/2012 11:38:26 AM

...i work out about 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. and im only taking in 1800 calories a day. i really dont have any more time to spend at the gym and i still need to lose about 40 more lbs to have a helthy BMI. any suggestions??

Just one.

Stop starving yourself.
 prairiecutie19
Msg: 3
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/21/2012 2:33:01 PM
1800 calories seems like a lot, I eat about 1200 calories a day. I lost 20 pounds in 2 months. Also watch what your taking in for fats, and sodium. Diet pop is also horrible for you; aspartame is one of the worst things you can put in your body.
 me_dl
Msg: 4
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/21/2012 2:41:27 PM
Research shows that BMI is (and not to be too technical) a sucky measure for individuals, particularly those who workout. It is more appropriately used in aggregate for populations. Don't use BMI as an index of health or weight loss.
 missmaddy
Msg: 5
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/21/2012 5:51:06 PM
well is it too many calories or not enough? my doctor says 1800 calories is a fair amount. and i havent eaten salt, sugar or any kind of oil in months. god i miss butter...
 statemachine500
Msg: 6
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/21/2012 7:07:18 PM
BB'ers will have a cheat day to up their metabolism.Say Sunday.Don't go crazy but eat more and things you like.Then back to the grind.
 jaqi
Msg: 7
view profile
History
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:03:17 AM
Firstly missmaddy a big well done at the amount you have lost so far, that's amazing and very inspirational. Good on you!

I would just like to query why you are working out for 3hours a time??? That sounds way too much unless you are a competitive sports athlete. What are you doing for those 3 hours?

What is a sample days food intake? You say you don't take sugar or any oils but some oils ar every good for you such as virgin olive oil.

It is very hard to give advice unless you are a little more specific.

Your doctor sounds to be giving you good advice and it is good you have spoken to him/her about your weight issue, has he/she given you a diet plan?

Plateaus are a bugga for anyone whether they are trying to lose weight or put weight on or even in their training goals but there really are ways to get passed them, we just need to know the specifics to help you.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 8
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:16:19 AM

well is it too many calories or not enough?...

How many calories are you using up at the gym?
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 9
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/22/2012 7:23:29 AM
You don't need to work out three hours a day, 5 days a week, you're setting the bar way too high. An hour a day is fine and use the other time to take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk for errands instead of ride, etc. Seriously, your exercise routine needs to be realistic. If you want to put in that much time, I'd try out for one of those TV weight loss shows.

On the other hand, diet needs to be stuck with as much as possible. The diet is what will bring the weight down. Get the portion size down(no bigger than the palm of your hand) and eat non-processed foods that are low in fat.

As far as the loss of weight goes, you're not going to continuously lose weight unless you are taking supplements and even then you are not going to see a steady stream. It happens in steps not a straight run.

Stick with a realistic plan and map it out for a year (not two or three months) and you will reach your goal.
 0ldhag
Msg: 10
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/22/2012 10:27:35 AM
If your honestly working out for 3 hours a day 5 days a week, I suggest to stop.

For one week stop working out.

After that, only do it for 1.5 hours a day.

This way you 'confuse' your body. When it gets into a system, then things stop working.

Change things up every once in a while.

But honestly, I don't belive your doing 3 hours of intensive workout for 5 days a week...I'd never even do that.

But bottem line, 'Do something different'.

Join a boxing class or something, Circut training is also good.

Sometimes at the gym, you can get lazy, but go take a class where they push you hard but do it less often maybe.
_______
I lived in a remote area of a country and use to work out 2 hours a day for months and month, but I only did the ski machine thing and the bicycle (because that was all there was), and I did it just because i was bored...when I went to the 'big city' all my friends said I gained weight, I couldn't understand it...I was working out like mad...

So I stopped everything for a month..then everyone was saying how much weight I lost! I was so confused, what the hell? I realize now, it's good to work out, but never repeat your workout sessions...do one session hard, then one session soft, then skip 2 sessions...For me, this works well...
 jaqi
Msg: 11
view profile
History
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/22/2012 11:26:45 AM
bigeazzie you give good advice and I am with you all the way on that ... but please don't say 'most' women don't seriously weight train ... you will be tarring a lot of women with the same brush ... moi included!
 missmaddy
Msg: 12
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:13:46 PM
is it that far fetched that a formerly fat person would spend 3 hours at the gym a day? i dont think so. i dont wanna be fat anymore, ive worked my arse off to get here. an hour an a half in the morning and an hour and a half in the evening. thats easy. i do a half hour alone on the eliptical each visit.

a week off? sounds like a good idea. ive been doing this for 8 months now, i could use a break.

i thought about doing zumba, but i have absolutely no rythm. yoga maybe?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 13
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:46:21 PM

is it that far fetched that a formerly fat person would spend 3 hours at the gym a day? i dont think so. i dont wanna be fat anymore, ive worked my arse off to get here. an hour an a half in the morning and an hour and a half in the evening. thats easy. i do a half hour alone on the eliptical each visit.

Well no it is not that far fetched if you believe all the bullshit you see on TV with regards to weight-loss.

You do not have to spend 5 minutes in a gym to be at an ideal weight.

Using the gym as a weight-loss tool will come back to bite you when you can no longer keep up that pace or do what you are doing now and starving yourself while going to the gym.

If you want to get to an ideal weight you have to adopt a lifestyle that you can live with for the rest of your life and if that includes going to the gym that is great, but if you do not replace those calories you burn off you may as well just going on a diet and start the yo-yo train and save the cost of the gym membership.
 MaximumPower
Msg: 14
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/22/2012 10:54:12 PM
Track Beverages.

List all the Beverages in your refrigerator, pantry, etc.
Read the labels and write down the Servings and Calories for each.
Write down the Quantity of each Beverage you buy in a week.

For each Beverage, multiply the Servings times the Calories times the Quantity and write the Total.
Add all the Totals together and divide by 7.

This gives you an estimate of how many Calories per day that you drink from Beverages alone.
Then you can see how adding mass quantities of water to your diet will help reduce Calories & replace sweeteners.

(S x C x Q = T)
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 15
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:39:25 AM

is it that far fetched that a formerly fat person would spend 3 hours at the gym a day?

No, but that is a psychological issue not a physical one. The reality is you don't have to train that much and people who are in shape know it. Losing the weight is easy, but changing how you think and act is the hard part.
 jml100
Msg: 16
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/23/2012 11:38:50 PM
By exercising 3 hours a day will do more harm than good. Over stimulating the adrenal glands and causing so much stress on your body (remember your body can't differentiate different forms of stress) and when there's stress our bodies will hold that weight or fat. A great session can be done within 30-45 mins! Another thing, give your body some rest, you need some rest to get to your goal. That means getting to sleep by 10.30pm at the latest to give your body it's physical recovery.

Drink your water, 1L per 30kg of body weight or 0.033x body weigh=water in L. I also suggest adding the tiniest pinch of good sea salt to every litre of water you drink (Celtic and Himalayan are both good) , it helps the body to absorb water better and replaces minerals in the body.

If counting calories works for you then keep doing it, but what I've found with most people is that counting calories only causes further stress, rather, eat whole foods; ie meats, vegies, nuts, fruits etc sugars should really only come from the fruits/vegies. Stear clear of processed foods, need I say more about them?. Remember also that our bodies uses 50-70% of our daily expenditure just to keep us alive! another 5-15% is used for digestion and elimination plus we also have more energy used working out and even our x factor such as walking to the shops or normal daily activities.

There's SO much more but there's some basics, good luck!
 J_HorsePower
Msg: 17
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/26/2012 9:28:37 AM
I think we all hit walls when it comes to Dieting. Go for long walks if you find yourself bored, maybe jogging, Drink tons of water. You should stop eating around 8 or 9pm. 1800 calories is way to much! Cut it down to at least 1200 or 1000. Should get to your goal in no time!
 Blackout478
Msg: 18
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/26/2012 12:15:30 PM
A good regiment would be cardio 2-3 times a week and one day of just weigh lifting. You know it switches things up and helps build muscle which muscle will eat away fat. Also, you may eat less calories, but if they are bad calories that are adding fat on its not doing you any good. I'm a MMA fighter when I first started I was 230 lbs, then got offered more money to fight in a smaller weight division so I need to drop down to around 170. I rode a stationary bike for about a hour a day for 3 days a week and did weight lifting 1-2 days and rested the other. I also drastically dropped my calories down by eating fish, baked skinless chicken and plenty of water. long story short I am at 165-170 (depends on day) it took me maybe 2 months to get to this weight.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 19
view profile
History
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/26/2012 12:27:45 PM
You aren't eating enough so your body is protecting itself.

Good Lord I eat between 2500 and 2800 at least at 120 pounds..

Change up and increase your calories with real foods and healthy fats.

Have some peanut butter on a banana.

Load up on a bowl of black beans and salsa..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Have an unsalted mixed nut snack 3 times a day

Working out is not the answer, the correct and enough FOOD is.

Good luck.
 statemachine500
Msg: 20
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/26/2012 2:52:56 PM
[quyote]Cut it down to at least 1200 or 1000. Should get to your goal in no time!

WWII POW camp calories.You will lose weight.Lots of it will be muscle as well.Your body needs good fats.OP hasn't mentioned her heart rate during cardio.....
 Sensei_Ro
Msg: 21
ive hit a wall
Posted: 5/26/2012 3:41:38 PM
Ok, first everyone is different, so comparing your caloric intake to someone else's is pointless. There is no reason at all why you should be in the gym 3 hours a day. Basically the reason you hit your plateau is because your body has adjusted to your low calorie diet. I would recommend increasing your daily calories for a month, and just maintain the body fat % your at, then reduce the calories after that month again and your body should go back to burning fat for energy. Also if you really are in the gym for 3 hours a day working hard and only eating 1800 calories your body is probably holding on to fat because your starving yourself. If you need some more tips feel free to message me, there is a whole lot more that would need to be looked at besides your time in the gym and calories taken in.
 liquidfiremilk77
Msg: 22
ive hit a wall
Posted: 6/2/2012 2:23:09 PM
Okay Here's the deal there are quite a few components to take into account and this if you follow me you will get back on track garanteed.....
lets start with the nutrition.......sure counting calories is good but doing the same thing everyday is not....If you are eating 1800 everyday (actually that is quite a bit you should drop to 1200) but the key is not everyday....the reason is your body adjusts......if you are lowering your calories daily your body may feel like it is starving and begin to try and hold onto everything it takes in.......so you need to mix it up by tricking your body start with 1200 calories 3 days than on the fourth go up to 1800 than 1200 next day and back up 1600 2 days than down 1000 and so on....also really the ninja way for nutrition is not exactly calorie counting but how and what you eat..example....a full meal you may stuff yourself so instead of 3 full meals daily eat 6 or seven small ones inbetween activities...the activities will burn calories but just make sure your breakfast is the big one and dont fill yourself just before going to bed......next remove all sugar!!!! none whatsoever outside of the natural sugars in your fruits or veggies .....use alternative sweeteners like cinnamon.......this alone will help...review...1) no sugar.......2)more meals smaller protions....3)dont stuff yourself before bed
next we talk about the food that you eat.....you should not eat the same things everyday you need variety as much as possible rather than only vegetables or only pasta you need to mix it up today chicken tommorrow fish the next day pasta etc etc.....keeping variety always have food from the different food groups.......
lets talk about the workouts now....
with workouts the same priciple should apply as far as variety....you need to change the routines every couple weeks at min.....many people will tell you that 3 hours a time 5days is no good for you but I will say as someone who coaches fighters thats just not true....however you need to have a variety of workouts for your routine and high intensity would do you better in the long run than your current 3 hours........the reason is the more you do a certain routine the easier it becomes and the less your body is actaully being challenged ,which is really what you are trying to do is make it work......so one day do yoga/pilates next do some circuit next do some plyometrics etc etc.......you only need about 1 hour of high intensity plus some good stretching to accomplish your goal....
so once again bullet points a) high intensity b)variety c)stretching
I would reccomend a personal trainer or the following.......(All have positives and negatives but at the end of the day the positives outweigh the negatives combine 360 p90x or insanity...
feel free to follow up in a monthe and share your results........
 LetsBuildSomething
Msg: 23
ive hit a wall
Posted: 6/12/2012 1:01:52 PM

many people will tell you that 3 hours a time 5days is no good for you but I will say as someone who coaches fighters thats just not true

first of all, 3 hours is way too much for good health.

After an intense 45 minute workout your stress hormone are too high.

Also, remember athletes over train, and many use roids to counter balance this. And many are beat up when they get old.

I like to fight myself, however, I'm not going to give a coach any advise.
However, real fights don't last long.
You'll never fight for 3 hours. More like minutes.
So if you can go all out, just say you can run a five minute mile, you'll probably have all you need for endurance, except that fighting requires all your muscles, not just legs.

I prefer 45 minutes workouts instead of long ones, and go hard (do sprints instead of slow cardio).
I could give you a weight training routine that would probably make you puke, even if you're in great shape.

eat slow digesting/low glycemic carbs, except for after workout, you can have some higher glycemic carbs.

rotate your carbohydrates every few days (low, mid, higher) to keep your body from adjusting.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > ive hit a wall