Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > For the guys with confidence issues about looks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bwena
Msg: 1
For the guys with confidence issues about looksPage 1 of 1    
From Cracked.com.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18866_5-reasons-women-are-as-shallow-as-men-according
-to-science.html?wa_user1=4&wa_user2=Sex&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

Excerpt:
You often see a woman in love with what appears to be a horrible-looking creature and assume they looked past his appearance, when it's very likely she thinks that monstrosity is sexy incarnate. For example, many of you men might have asked why girls you know are swooning over Edward from Twilight when he looks like a prancing homosexual. Well, many women find an aura of prancing homosexuality extremely hot. Others find musclebound jocks hot. Others like waifish nerds. Sure, men also differ in their tastes, but not as broadly as women, who are apparently all over the god damn place. Scientists guess it might have something to do with helping women avoid fighting over men too much. If I like nerds and my friend likes jocks, we get to stay friends. (Until her boyfriend stuffs mine in a locker I guess.) Another interesting idea from the study is that this might be a reason why women have to worry so much more about body image - because there actually is a "right" set of characteristics that the majority of guys agree on. Conversely, because women are so scattered in what they like physically, there isn't one "right" way for men to look. This is why People Magazine always gets confused and puts people like Vince Vaughn and Ian McShane on its Sexiest Men Alive lists.

So, there ya go. Discuss.
 A_mr_Reeee
Msg: 2
view profile
History
For the guys with confidence issues about looks
Posted: 5/21/2012 8:34:15 PM
I assume you are going to follow all this up with a real question of your own....or did you think this is the Oprah room...that would be further down the hall on your left.
 bwena
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/21/2012 8:39:14 PM
No question, its a follow-up from several other posts. Just an FYI. :)
 fillyphilly
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/21/2012 8:40:43 PM
Vince Vaughn? No way.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2012 8:41:09 PM
Physicall appearance doesn't rank as high in importance for everyone, gender aside. Some girls are as shallow as some guys, to recap........not exactly rocket science. I do disagree that ranking appearance higher means someone's shallow any more than someone who has a preference for age or body type. I think we should all respect everyone's right to have preferences as we think they should respect our right to have our own.
 bwena
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:07:16 PM
Well there ya go, I think Vince Vaughn is hot in a smart, nerdy, funny sorta way. lol
 Dork_Vader27
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:20:09 PM
Never had confidence issues my self though i do wonder what a woman sees in a man from time to time..

Especially when they are dating a guy with no job... It just baffles me what they see in that...

But what ever floats your boat i could careless.. I just don't understand it and i analyze everything.
 P0ETFURY
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:34:33 PM
not having a job and not having an income are two different things.
 jmark4
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/21/2012 11:01:03 PM
a prancing homosexual is the in thing. How is that hot? Look at all the female profiles that say, He's my gay? lol; it's safe.

I dont care what women are attracted to. I am me. People need to not prance, but be themselves.

What you are talking about is from magazines based on fads and what is the flavor of the month. For me it isn't relevant in my life.

I know what I like in a person, and I know who I am. I think that's what's missing in the dating world. People need to love inside out, or they will always pick the wrong person.
 kja71
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/22/2012 3:17:52 AM
Alright, what's wrong with Vince Vaughn??? I think he screams sexy! He looks like a guy anyone could hang out with, not to mention he has a smokin hot sense of humor......
 unclezeus
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:52:08 AM
If the guy has a face full of pimples , that will hurt his attractiveness.
If the guy has a face full of pimples , and has lots of money, power and fame. He will attract a woman and mate with her.

Its not that women are sexually attracted to prancing homoundead types, 1. He is an actor [Money, Fame], 2. He doesn't look undead and homo all the time. Thats his role in a movie.

To say a guy is shallow , or a girl is shallow, due to what they are attracted to, is only the insecure or reject whining about not getting the attention they think they should get for what they think they have on the inside.
What we determine to be shallow, about someone, is only their personal likes and dislikes. So not really shallow.

"Chauvinists have been pointing out for YEARS that women are attracted to power".

Women are attracted to power. Also ,attracted to men with great amounts of Money, and Fame. [The chauvinist is correct].
Doesn't matter if the woman also has money, power and fame, too, she is still attracted to the man who can accomplish these 3 categories, of coures along with her other criteria for mate-ablilty. But women are generally not going to get hot over the guy who can't meet her income. You won't see a female lawyer married to a guy who stocks vegetables in a store. But you will see a male lawyer married to a female vegetable stocker. Why? Because she is hot [to him].
Men are not sexually attracted to a woman's income, power or fame.

SunshineAngel99
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:59:31 AM
I'll answer the question:

Women that think men have confidence issues are the ones with confidence issues. :P I am dizzy just thinking of this scenario and how it would play out in my head. o.O
 AwesomeKisser
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2012 10:49:44 AM
It's all biological programming. We are all subject to our evolution and instincts and have to use out brains to think past that.

Men are drawn to curvy hips and big breasts because those are characteristics that indicate high likelihood of successfully bearing and raising a child. We are drawn to that so that we can pick the best vessel to help pass on our genes. Now don't jump down my throat for saying that because I have no intention of objectifying women as nothing more then vessels to bear our offspring. But on a a basic biological level that is what is going on.

For women, it was a matter of selecting a mate that a) would have strong and healthy genes to ensure strong and healthy offspring that would have the best chance of survival and b) also the strength and prowess to protect the family unit and hunt and provide food etc. Now jump forward to modern society and the attractive qualities that women look for in a provider have changed to money, confidence and power as those men can provide the best environment for success of the offspring.

It is more complex then that now as we all introduce a complex mix of other desires and preferences in there but the underlying biological programming is still there and having an influence on us.
 Dmaj7
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:24:10 PM
"You often see a woman in love with what appears to be a horrible-looking creature"

No I don't. Attractive people tend to be with attractive people.

Discuss? Sure, there are many single people out there and too many people trying to profit from them by writing garbage and selling it as research, opinion, etc.
 AwesomeKisser
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:38:17 PM

Confidence does not attract women, hot looks does

Actually, confidence is a big attractor IRL. But it is hard to express that online. Confidence is how you walk, how you carry yourself, how you smile at them or look them in the eye when talking, how you confidently just take her hand in yours as you walk down the street together. It's lots of non verbal body language stuff and really I think my confidence goes a long way towards generating attraction in the women I date or meet IRL. But it does sweet f*#k all for us online. Online is probably 80% your pictures and how you look and then maybe 20% what you write and whether that amuses a woman or interests her or resonates with her thoughts and feelings.

I would work on your confidence if you lack it because it will help you meet women IRL and will be invaluable when you do get dates from the online world.
 dvincent1979
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:17:42 PM
Women want a guy that other women want to mate with.(Generalizing). Same thing in the animal kingdom.
 mrmisterme
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:59:28 PM

This is why People Magazine always gets confused and puts people like Vince Vaughn and Ian McShane on its Sexiest Men Alive lists.

So, there ya go. Discuss.

Why would men care who the sexiest man alive is? YOU are the one who thinks Vince Vaughan is hot, so I guess you're just as confused as People Magazine.
 RyanReed
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/22/2012 3:51:36 PM
Science and chemistry don't mix...

Wait...what??
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > For the guys with confidence issues about looks