Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating Games      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Dating GamesPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've never been a game player, I'm much too lazy to work that hard at being that silly.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 3
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 2:23:22 PM
Landra2 hit the nail right on the head.

There are _good_ games that are a pleasure to play and, it would be disappointing not enjoy them fully. What a blissful mutual chinese torture. :-)
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 5
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 3:18:45 PM
I play dating chess.
As there is long term strategy involved.

I'll move my pawn.
she'll move hers.
Eventually my horse will jump her bishop,
and entangle with her rook.

Then in a flurry of skilled moves...
in which we struggle breathlessly to checkmate each other...
it ends up a draw.

I guess that's what I get for trying to challenge an equally skilled player.
Maybe I need to up my game a notch.
Or perhaps just take up checkers.

wouldn't be as fun though.
:-P
 4ms4me
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 3:35:17 PM

Like pretending you are very busy when you are not or dating person "B" just to make person "A" want you more.

Nope. Not even when I was a kid - I remember when I was 14 or 15, there was some kind of thing going around that if girls put extra stuffing in their bra (like toilet paper), boys would like them better and ask them out. All well and good, I thought, but if dating continued long enough, the bra would have to come off and the toilet paper exposed. Then what? Anyway, tricks/games never have made much sense to me.

has it ever been done to you?

Yup, but it's all part of life and learning.
 onehappyfellow
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 3:42:24 PM
I don't play games where there is a winner and a loser. Only want a win win situation.

I have been hurt by believing and trusting but I still prefer to trust and believe than to be cynical.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 9
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 4:32:22 PM
Don't remember playing dating games.

But I remember The Dating Game. I think it first aired in the mid-60's.
 Jayne0927
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 4:33:49 PM
1. You shouldn't play head games. That's childish stuff.

2. If you can't be honest with someone about your feelings and have to "hold back" or pretend, don't see him (now or again).

3. You're only causing yourself a lot of heartache.
 jmark4
Msg: 12
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 5:30:40 PM
no; and I disagree;

real men dont' play games. That's the problem. and people are not that mature. I tell people about some of the stories I read on here and they dont even believe me.

Be honest; be up front; and do it in person when you can. If you are playing games on someone, you dont respect them. Not my thing.
 the27thletter
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:36:33 PM
"Be honest; be up front; and do it in person when you can. If you are playing games on someone, you dont respect them. Not my thing."
^
That is beautifully written.

I think that people expect games more than they actually play them, especially when it comes to online dating.
 neck romancer
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Dating Games
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:41:49 PM
Ive had a gal ask me out... ask for separate checks at dinner.. and after the date tells me the man not paying for dinner is a deal breaker.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 15
Dating Games
Posted: 5/24/2012 7:48:43 AM
Landra,
Like the sound of that. You don't run, instead you encourage it and stay. Thing is some females will run to play the game to see if the man will chase them. Men shouldn't have to chase if you're interested. If he has to chase and female gone it never was meant to be.
 Extollere
Msg: 18
Dating Games
Posted: 5/24/2012 4:57:04 PM

Do you have any games that you play to make someone want you.

Strip poker.

Like pretending you are very busy when you are not or dating person "B" just to make person "A" want you more.

Oh, you mean like this. Hell no.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 19
Dating Games
Posted: 5/24/2012 6:41:51 PM
In dating games, like most games, there's usually a loser.

I hate dating games; just be genuine
 tensail
Msg: 20
Dating Games
Posted: 5/25/2012 6:50:18 PM
games r 4 kids or v low iq
 0ldhag
Msg: 21
Dating Games
Posted: 5/26/2012 6:25:32 AM
I had this guy i dated for 8 months...it was rumoured he was cheating, don't know if that was true but I did feel he was more friendly with all the other girls then with me...so I broke up with him.

Now this happened over two years ago now, and me and the guy are still friends. Even to this day he text me, asks me to come to dinner, and keeps telling me I was the one who got away and he loves me more then anyone blah blah...

Well he clearly knows (as i've told him over and over because I'd never trust him again) that we are just friends, but he still comes out with the occassional 'your playing games with me' crap. I tell him, 'listen buddy we are friends and if you feel i'm playing games then never contact me again..but i'm not playing games, this is how I treat my friends'...

So anyways he still continues to think i'm playing with him, and leading him on so I figured screw it, I might has well...so ya, i'll admit it, now i'm just playing with him...
 Archangel_07
Msg: 22
Dating Games
Posted: 5/26/2012 6:51:26 AM
Dating games sounds like shadiness, controlling and insecurity. Sorry been there done that and not playing that game again. I participate in a activity calling letting the relationship plant grow slowly from a friendship and onwards.
 larissan04
Msg: 23
Dating Games
Posted: 5/26/2012 11:04:51 AM
i think i did some of these manipulative, pathetic things when i was in high school, and that was about it. if i have to manipulate someone into a relationship with me, then i don't want to be with him. if there is too much reach and withdrawal on the part of a man, then i figure he is not interested. when someone is hot and cold they either see you as option b, or they are just dating way too many women that they can't connect with any of them. the hot and cold bit is a red flag, and while many women employ many games in order to get the guy, me, i just walk away. i am not going to be someone's rebound, tuesday night girl, or back up plan. nope.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 24
Dating Games
Posted: 5/26/2012 11:24:36 AM
No I don't play games with guys. I have been the victim of many games. My favorite is a guy who says they want everything you want when they really only want sex. People really kid themselves sometimes.

I think games are childish. I wish people could be just honest. If you want to call or text someone just do it, stop waiting 3 days. stop pretending you didn't get a text. If you don't like someone say it nicely. If some one doesn't like you accept it and move on.

Is there a dating rule book some place?
 Pickupman06
Msg: 26
Dating Games
Posted: 6/7/2012 2:11:41 PM
Let me start off saying that I can understand why people say they hate game players or say its insincere or manipulative. They're partially true. But what they don't realize is that when done correctly, it not only communicates all of the right messages, but it actually helps build attraction.

So here's the answer to you question.

1. Is he gonna call> screw the 2 day "rule" to call after a date. Wait a week. Make her miss you for a little while. It's hard to miss someone when you get a text message every couple hours about their mundane shit. The other variation of this is when you don't answer her calls or return them right away. I normally do this when they call and we don't have any plans already set. I'm not saying never answer but at least try to pretend that you're not a drooling idiot like every other guy because she's sooo beautiful (insert whatever descriptor you want). If she calls while you're at work call her back at lunch or wait till the end of the day. Because you're supposed to be working, ya know!
2. Don't text whenever possible (less of a game and more of a guideline) tell her you like to hear her voice and see her smiling face better.
3. Accuse them of checking you out in an innapporpriate way> my favorite line to use when you say something she obviously likes is (when she gives you the, what and attractive ***hole look) "don't look at me like that"- then smile, if she says "what look?" you reply, "I'm sorry I'm just not that easy" or some other varation. The whole point is that you're letting her know that you are reading her signals but she's going to have to try harder to win you over
4. Role reversal, men and women > applies to pretty much anything.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 27
Dating Games
Posted: 6/7/2012 3:58:53 PM
Sigh--this just happened to me--he told me when we met in Feb that he had to go out of the country often and it had been an issue that hurts his chances for a relationship, we met went on a date and had a great time--didnt meet him again--the messages stopped and well I moved on assuming he had also--but then he starts messaging me telling me he was sorry that he was extremely busy and got so much work he couldnt keep up (yet he was still on POF and Facebook) then he got a wonderful opportunity that was long term but completely out of the United States.

I just told him I assumed he had met someone he liked better and I had met someone else and was going forward with that--(it was the truth) so when that guy was so cheap you could hear him squeak and we didnt work out, the first guy was waiting for the chance to step back in and started talking to me every two or three days--good stuff--intelligent conversation is always a plus--asked me to send him pics since he misses the states and when I did he always thanked me; kept telling me I was the first person he wanted to see when he got back but then-he just cold turkeys me--spend a whole morning talking to me and then nothing--I sent pics and nothing--for 8 days--so then when he messaged me again it was rather short and crude and I was a bit hurt--so rather than handling it like an adult and telling him that when someone does that I view it more as disrespect and not interest. I cant do hot and cold and hot and cold; wished him luck. He wasnt happy.

So two days later I go out with my daughter and her boyfriend to hear a band and posted on Facebook I was there--and guess who shows up--he did, he had been back in the states for 4 hours >< He is now mad at me.

Did he play a game--I dont think so; I think that our communication wasnt were it needed to be. I was wrong but so was he--do I think it was a deliberate game--no I think it is called life--
 ro1970
Msg: 28
Dating Games
Posted: 6/7/2012 4:16:55 PM

Sigh--this just happened to me--he told me when we met in Feb that he had to go out of the country often and it had been an issue that hurts his chances for a relationship, we met went on a date and had a great time--didnt meet him again--the messages stopped and well I moved on assuming he had also--but then he starts messaging me telling me he was sorry that he was extremely busy and got so much work he couldnt keep up (yet he was still on POF and Facebook) then he got a wonderful opportunity that was long term but completely out of the United States.

He was too busy to communicate with you online or on the phone, yet he was still on POF and Facebook??? come on....that should be your first clue he is playing headgames.

just told him I assumed he had met someone he liked better and I had met someone else and was going forward with that--(it was the truth) so when that guy was so cheap you could hear him squeak and we didnt work out, the first guy was waiting for the chance to step back in and started talking to me every two or three days--good stuff--intelligent conversation is always a plus--asked me to send him pics since he misses the states and when I did he always thanked me; kept telling me I was the first person he wanted to see when he got back but then-he just cold turkeys me--spend a whole morning talking to me and then nothing--I sent pics and nothing--for 8 days--so then when he messaged me again it was rather short and crude and I was a bit hurt--so rather than handling it like an adult and telling him that when someone does that I view it more as disrespect and not interest. I cant do hot and cold and hot and cold; wished him luck. He wasnt happy.

So two days later I go out with my daughter and her boyfriend to hear a band and posted on Facebook I was there--and guess who shows up--he did, he had been back in the states for 4 hours >< He is now mad at me.

hmmmm that tells me he basically is either married or with someone - work has nothing to do with it - again, he couldnt take 5 seconds to send you a message or call you? Whether or not someone is in the country is irrelevant. - My aunt was in and out of Europe for 40 years, and was terribly busy, yet she managed to call or email us as technology advanced - so not buying into that "he was too busy" crap.

He tells you he wanted to see you sooooo badly, was a jerk when he sent the last correspondence, you set a boundary, and the final straw was he was pissed off you went out to enjoy an evening with your daughter and boyfriend????? hmmmmm

Yes, my friend, HE was playing you. - trust me - men do this shit all the time.
 ro1970
Msg: 30
Dating Games
Posted: 6/8/2012 4:53:30 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No Shit!
 Pickupman06
Msg: 32
Dating Games
Posted: 6/8/2012 8:15:10 AM
As much as some of you appear to diagree with the logic of it, they actually do work to build attraction. It's also true that it quickly weeds out the flakes and the attention seekers and the serial daters.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating Games