Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Are the British press using 'scaremongering' tactics about Euro 2012?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Are the British press using 'scaremongering' tactics about Euro 2012?Page 1 of 1    
None of this is new news is it :O)
 Jo van
Msg: 8
Are the British press using 'scaremongering' tactics about Euro 2012?
Posted: 5/29/2012 10:57:01 AM
We would have the same sort of thing here, if it hadn't been cracked down on.

I think we are moving towards a society (here) where racism is considered stupid, by the vast majority of people, and it has become 'socially unacceptable' to display such stupidity, save in the exclusive company of like-minded morons.
There are still plenty of idiots, of all shades, in all countries.

Young men have a tendency towards gang-culture, and 'tribes', and deluded notions of 'patriotism', brotherhood, and 'proving themselves', in some form of 'combat', whether along ancient, or pre-existing tribal demarcations, or new ones, invented along the lines post-code boundaries.

I've always thought it a shame that we, as a society, don't recognise and utilise that energy and determination, which accompanies all of those rushes of testosterone.

Give them the opportunity to 'prove themselves men', in some form which benefits society.
Not national service though, I don't think we should be training them to kill, I don't really feel that's constructive, at all.

TaTz_007
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Are the British press using 'scaremongering' tactics about Euro 2012?
Posted: 6/17/2012 11:27:04 AM
"having been to the ukraine for football i can assure you it is not scaremongering at all.

i went over with a few mates for the man united v kiev game in the champions league, this is a few years ago now so nothing would of changed. iv never felt so worried, scared and nervous anywhere else compared to this place. and iv been to turkey, rome and all the other hot spots for trouble

a few things that happened in our 2 day stay

1, my mate had a gun pulled on him in a taxi for no reason

2, we had to throw everything that wasn't nailed down in a pub to fend off their ultras attacking the pub we were in, they had knives on them etc and i dread to think what would of happened if they had got one of us.

3, the police turned a blind eye to this and offered zero protection (which was to be expected)

4, 2 of my mates had their wallets stolen off them outside the hotel by around 15 kids

5, openly chanting racist songs to us and to our players

I can't say im much of an england fan but theres not a chance in hell if i was that id be going over there to watch us play"

You were a bit unlucky there mate.. I went in 2009 and loved the place.. not one incident in Kiev or Lviv apart from two old bill in some small town who tried to give us a speeding ticket.. Ukraine is awesome.. cities are clean, organised, lovely people, cheap cigs and beer and smoking hot women. Of course I didn't have a football shirt on so maybe that was it...
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Are the British press using 'scaremongering' tactics about Euro 2012?