Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Just a free meal?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 skybluiiiz
Msg: 1
Just a free meal?Page 1 of 1    
Are there women out there who will take a date with a guy just for the free meal and drinks? The other night I had a date which went very well.....well enough to ask her if she wanted to go someplace else like the beach or a quieter pub. It was only 9:00, she had just finished her meal and she said "No, I have to work in the morning." I got the check, she walked out without a thank you and left. I was dumbfounded. We were laughing, telling stories and before I could ask what happened, she deleted her profile.

Keep in mind, I said nothing wrong, insulting or anything. When I asked a female friend, she said "She got her meal and drinks and that's all she wanted."

So, are there a lot of women who do this?
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 2
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:46:59 PM
Or,,, maybe she actually needed to get home and didn't want to continue communication.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 3
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:47:58 PM

Keep in mind, I said nothing wrong, insulting or anything. When I asked a female friend, she said "She got her meal and drinks and that's all she wanted."

Keep in mind, that the fact that you thought you did not say anything wrong, insulting or anything is just your opion, when in fact you could have easily offended her.

Either way, without her side of the story no one will ever know.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 4
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:48:06 PM
There have been a few threads here recently were unemployed ladies were asking about meeting men here as friends who would pay for entertainment and dinner as they couldn't afford to treat themselves. One poster was actually in a relationship !

So it does indeed seem that this happens.

I would suggest perhaps getting to know someone a little better before the dinner date invitations as that can get expensive quickly when dating if it's one sided. Perhaps a wonder around the town on a weekend afternoon or a meetup in the public gardens in your area. I think that will weed out some of the 'free meal and run' types. If it's going well, you can always move onto that if you both decide to.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 5
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:52:57 PM
I advocate meet and greets.

If you are interested in someone ... meet them.
See if sparks fly and there is a connection.
It would end up costing you a coffee/tea or maybe a drink.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 6
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 6:06:14 PM
^^^
Yup.
exactly!

Make em earn the meal.
:-P
 DeerTaint
Msg: 7
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 6:06:45 PM
Don't go out for a full dinner date for a first meeting. Keep it short and sweet like 30 minutes to see if you click. Then go on a proper date. You have no way to know if she had to get up early or not. Maybe you weren't her cup of tea at the end of the date. But I do think she was rude for not thanking you. Live and learn.
 massha
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 6:14:04 PM
I think you might be not accurate in your diagnosis. Just because *you* think the date went great, doesn't mean it did for the lady. Or something unrelated to you happened. I mean, if it was just free meal, it would be much easier for her to just block you and use her profile to get another meal with somebody else; or she could have got at least one more meal out of you too.

To your question: I do not know anybody who does that. I think you have to be incredibly incredibly poor to go to such trouble for a meal. Food in the US is so cheap.
 MementoMori32
Msg: 9
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 6:40:24 PM
I've heard some of my female friends say they will go out with a guy just cause its a free dinner and movie. damn right it happens. It's just like those women that hang out in bars all night just looking for guys to buy them drinks.
 SC67
Msg: 10
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 7:05:22 PM

Probably not a LOT of women who do this since most would pefer to buy their own dinner & pick company they know they will enjoy. I do have 1 friend that does it , though. I don't think it's necessarily just for the free dinner, but more that she requires a lot of male attention even if she's not personally interested in them as a potential partner.
 bwena
Msg: 11
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 7:07:46 PM
I guess I'm a terrible actress. I could never sit through an entire meal with someone I didn't actually like to talk to just for the sake of a meal. That takes some major players. It never seems to astound me what people are willing to do to use people though. Amazing.

Best advice above ^^^^^^ Only meet for coffee or a drink for starters. Less painful on the wallet if they bail.
 dearsavannah
Msg: 12
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 7:24:20 PM
I could personally never do that. If at the end of the night I didn't feel any chemistry I'd ask for separate checks.

I'm sorry you had to experience that :(
 MementoMori32
Msg: 13
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 7:29:56 PM
Savannah: Would be cool if more women did this. Would save men a lot of money I'm sure. Then again, if most women did this and I found myself not into my date, I might try to make sure she's not interested either so I didn't have to pay for her dinner ;-)
 dearsavannah
Msg: 14
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 7:33:48 PM
Haha Mori, that is terrible.

"Oh and by the way, do you object to wearing matching shirts in public? I already had a pair ordered for us just in case."
 Bikada
Msg: 15
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 7:54:13 PM
I do not date guys I'm not interested in for any reason. I usually pay my half on the first meeting so I don't feel obligated unless it's just coffee and the guy insists. I'm sorry that happened to you. Some people!! Don't let her spoil your attitude though.
 grove_22
Msg: 16
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 8:51:57 PM
Some women do this. I somewhat agree with what some other people mentioned. I wouldn't go to a fancy restaurant on a first date / meeting. But I have been to casual and inexpensive restaurants where a person can finish a meal within 45-60 minutes. Depending on where you go and what you order, dinner at a casual restaurant may not be much more expensive than having a couple drinks at a bar.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 17
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 8:57:59 PM

Are there women out there who will take a date with a guy just for the free meal and drinks?

Of course there are. Are you new to this planet? (wink)

I have no idea on hard numbers, but even one is one too many.

Unless they are dating the players, then they deserve each other.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 18
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 9:10:45 PM
Ugh, I can't imagine sitting across from someone I have no interest in just to eat. I don't think I've ever been that hungry - and if I was, I'd much rather rifle through my cupboards and eat scraps. Luckily, I have always been able to feed myself and I like being alone more than I like hanging out with someone I'm not into.

May the force be with women who can stand to do this - not once, but all the time. Eeesh.
 Mysteryfish69
Msg: 19
Just a free meal?
Posted: 5/31/2012 9:33:40 PM
It probably means she just met someone else or wasn't that interested. Just because you thought the conversation was going well doesn't mean she thought the same.
 hereiamhonxox
Msg: 20
Just a free meal?
Posted: 6/1/2012 2:43:32 AM
it is a nice way to get to know someone over dinner and wine, however its sensible to meet in the day for a short meeting first. at least you get to see them in the daylight and if they are shallow you dont waste time or money. try going bowling next time its fun and youll get to know them better. Oh and plenty of time to check out her bum :)
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Just a free meal?