Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Does anyone have a Fruit Sorbet recipe ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 1
Does anyone have a Fruit Sorbet recipe ?Page 1 of 1    
I have a weakness for Lemon Sorbet although one of the local hotels here has a great trio of fruit sobets they offer for dessert which is fabulous too. But I have failed miserably at the attempts I've made.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe they would be willing to share, please ?

I should add that I do not have an ice-cream maker so this might be the key element causing the failure.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Does anyone have a Fruit Sorbet recipe ?
Posted: 6/1/2012 11:49:32 AM
An ice cream maker is an absolute must for sorbet... I would think that it would solve all your problems if you picked one up to make your recipe.

Martha Stewart's Lemon Sorbet:

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, (6 lemons)

Directions

1. Prepare an ice bath. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 2 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until sugar completely dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add lemon juice. Pour mixture into a medium bowl; chill over the ice bath or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker, according to manufacturer's directions. Place in an airtight container in the freezer; store up to 1 month.

**edit**

I bought a box of various sorbet desserts recently at Costco - stupidly expensive, but absolutely worth the money spent. The sorbets are in half fruit shells - half a lemon for the lemon sorbet, half an orange for the mango-orange sorbet, half a coconut shell for the pina colada sorbet and half a pineapple for pineapple sorbet...
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/1/2012 12:46:27 PM
Oh - and I'm going to Costco this weekend. I can live with stupidly expensive as it's only me who likes sorbet and it's not like you need a lot. Mango orange sounds good.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2012 1:02:07 PM
over the years, I've bought several ice cream makers ... my FAVORITE is one that has an container that goes in the freezer ... an outer shell ... and an electric stirrer from the top element ...

my second favorite is a similar sort of thing but I have to stir it manually which is difficult because I always forget and the stirrer sticks to the side of the freezer !!!

I have another one that makes 1 or 2 servings with the automatic stirrer ... it was relatively inexpensive, cutely wrapped ... seems like a great concept ... comes with two bowls ... BUT ... IT ONLY RARELY works ... the thing is practically useless ... which makes it annoying ...

if you want details, feel free to contact me ...

incidentally, I've bought the same sorbets in the shells at both CostCo and Smart & Final ... they're yummy but I prefer to be able to control the ingredients ... for example, they put MILK in the coconut sorbet when it would have been better if they'd used CREAM like they used in the other flavors ...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2012 1:20:03 PM

incidentally, I've bought the same sorbets in the shells at both CostCo and Smart & Final ... they're yummy but I prefer to be able to control the ingredients ... for example, they put MILK in the coconut sorbet when it would have been better if they'd used CREAM like they used in the other flavors ...
I just checked the ingredient list and there is both coconut milk and cream in their coconut sorbet...

The brand I'm referring to is called Island Way Sorbet.
 laskoboo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2012 1:22:41 PM

I should add that I do not have an ice-cream maker so this might be the key element causing the failure.

do not need an ice cream maker.. what you need is a high powered blender. These can vary according to what you can afford from a magic bullet to montels blender to a vitamix. I suggest the vitamix with the tamper. I have one and make fruit sorbet all the time.
Heres the recipe:

Frozen fruit.

yep thats it. No sugar unless you want some in it. I even add the greens on top of the strawberries because you can't taste them.
Granted with lemon sorbet you will need some sugar or sweetner, you can add a frozen date if you want to avoid refined sugar, so the recipe would be:
frozen lemons ( with skin and seeds removed)
frozen date

some ice cubes if its too strong or you want a lighter version.

Sometimes I make sorbet from mangos ( ingredients: frozen mangos)
or sometimes blueberries or even apples.
Banana ice cream or sorbet... is easy to make in a high powered blender and makes use of the bananas that have become too ripe

vitamix is worth every penny.
It also makes great and easy salad dressings, green smoothies, margaritas, soup, ice cream, nut milks, hummus and more.

heres another cool recipe for tomato soup:
tomato
spices to taste. The machine even heats it up for you.. lol

Someone gave us a cruisnart ice cream maker for a wedding present, what a peice of crap. I gave it away. Just junk on my countertop

here is a recipe for ice cream you may like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ToxjnRByY&feature=relmfu
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2012 1:49:46 PM
Try this

500g raspberries
200g sugar
150g water
Juice of 1 lime

Make the syrup, 150g water and 150 sugar in a pan, hear slowly until the sugar has desolved, don't boil it.
put the raspberries and 50g sugar in a blender and blitz the hell out of it, then seive in to a jug.
Add the lime juice and syrup, mix well the add to the ice cream maker.
Or a freezalble container, freeze for 2 hours, take out and fluff it around with a fork
then back to the freezer for another 2 hours, and enjoy.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/1/2012 2:22:03 PM

If you have a Kitchen-Aid mixer keep an eye on the Future Shop flyers as the ice cream makers occasionally go on sale for 50% off, bringing down to ~$50.00
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/1/2012 3:39:03 PM
Well, that gives me a few to try but the temptation to purchase a KitchenAid mixer gets stronger and stronger with each additional attachment I learn about.

Will definitely try the sugar free ones - honey is a good idea.

Thank you.
 FunnyGirly1
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/1/2012 3:47:04 PM
I would use a ice cream mixer it works well for making sorbets.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/1/2012 4:21:43 PM
Okay. That makes sense. Thanks.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/1/2012 4:59:59 PM
I tend to avoid the fake stuff too. Will have a play this weekend and update.
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:15:02 AM
A lil bit of sugar won,t hurt, just make you sweeter than you look already.
 FunnyGirly1
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/2/2012 7:33:50 AM
I use sugar in the raw it is better then the white sugar. The white sugar is to processed. The fake stuff is not good for you. The raw is a light brown color it is natural it is not processed like the white sugar is. I went to south america and the have suger like the raw kind and is was delicious and I soon got hooked. I came back to the states and they did not have it. Then a few years later they started selling sugar in the raw I was so happy.
 FunnyGirly1
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/2/2012 7:54:12 AM
1 small pineapple cut up in small chucks a cup of raw sugar 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice a sprig of mint. Put it in a food processor till it is smooth then put it in a ice cream maker till it freezes up then put it in the freezer.
 Dovelett
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2012 11:27:12 AM
Using ripe cantaloup melon
1 lime juiced
1 pint fruit sorbet or flavorite

Trim the bottoms from a halfed cantaloup (so they can sit up -removing seeds -throw them away or dry them out n plant them.

Sprinkle insides with lime juice n fill melon ball with fruit sorbet..
or

use 4 ripe magenta fleshed dragon fruits
3/4 cold water if fruit is not ripe
2 Tbsps. lemon juice
4 T. sugar optional or use Splenda to taste or not

Peel the fruit n place in blender -add water if fruit isn't ripe n juicy -lemon juice n sugar if using .. Sometime fruit is sweet n won't need sugar. Puree till smooth.

Pour puree into ce cream maker n churn until frozen .. or pour puree into a shallow pan n freeze. Wait about 10 minutes at room temp for sorbet to soften to serve. Will work with most fruits in making this recipe. Oh if U use frozen fruit it will make the sorbet quicker..
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/4/2012 8:06:01 AM
If you have a Kitchen-Aid mixer keep an eye on the Future Shop flyers as the ice cream makers occasionally go on sale for 50% off, bringing down to ~$50.00

Canadian Tire has a great deal on Kitchen-Aid mixers this week - the KitchenAid 450 Watt Stand Mixer is $299.99 which is 40% less then their regular price. Also, a three piece accessory pack is on special for $99.99.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Does anyone have a Fruit Sorbet recipe ?