Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Has "your type" evolved over time?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 catchnrelease71
Msg: 1
Has "your type" evolved over time?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I was just thinking about this and what I always thought I liked in a significant other and how it is not really close to what I really like. I'm sure other feel this way as well and just wanted to find out what others "the one" looks like these days compared to say 20-25 years ago. Maybe it was one person that changed what you look for now or it can be something that has evolved as we've aged.

My biggest one for example, I always thought I would love to have the tomboy type girl. You know, the one who enjoys sports, camping, riding motorcycles, getting dirty, masculine sense of humor, etc. Now I know that doesn't work for me, romantically anyway. We always become friends which isn't bad, but not my goal when I start out. I really enjoy a very femine woman these days. No, not one that wears a lot of makeup or is a chronic shopper. I'm talking more of their demeanor. Soft spoken, likes affection, enjoys romance and sappy poems (not that I know how to write them), has a bright, warm smile and eyes. I'm thinking more of the Jewel, Natalie Merchant, Sarah McLachlan type.

I'm sure there are others, but that is what came to mind on a bored Saturday morning. Anyone care to share?
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 2
Has your type evolved over time?
Posted: 6/2/2012 8:07:56 AM
Yes it has.

Because I didn't really know what I wanted when I started.

And you know life is like that, constantly changing and evolving.

I think it would be a good idea to find someone who you can evolve with.
 catchnrelease71
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/2/2012 8:23:12 AM
"Incidentally, aren't Natalie Merchant and Sarah McLachlan lesbians? "

I think you are mistaken. I know Sarah had some Lilith Faire concert tour about a decade ago that seemed to turn into some kind of gay/lesbian thing, but I'm pretty sure they are both straight. I guess I would term them "intellectually sensitive/sensual".
 Walts
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/2/2012 8:30:38 AM
What I "think" I "want" and what I seem to ALWAYS to get(or am ALWAYS attracted to) is different. Or at least it seems to be in my little pea size brain. When I'm thinking, I have a vision,but the reality of it all is that I'm attracted to nutbars, off the wall types and I can't seem not to gravitate to them. It's always a fun ride,but, really never good in the long term. Thus, I have come to the conclusion that maybe "long term" for me is about 6-9 months and then the shiat really hits the fan and we are both covered in it. A very big implosion!!!!
 Fleuron
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/2/2012 9:41:54 AM

You know, the one who enjoys sports, camping, riding motorcycles, getting dirty, masculine sense of humor, etc. Now I know that doesn't work for me, romantically anyway. We always become friends which isn't bad, but not my goal when I start out. I really enjoy a very femine woman these days.

An interesting phenomenon I’ve noticed in myself…..I can be a ‘tomboy’ in the afternoon when I need to do solo dirty yard work or want to have messy fun, but after a shower and change of clothes I can be quite feminine.

People are not necessarily one dimensional, just an observation.

My tastes have evolved drastically since I wanted to marry Shawn Cassidy and kissed his poster goodnight. (thankfully).
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/2/2012 10:22:58 AM
I think most everyone evolves so their type would change with how they evolve. Interests change, perspectives change, we grow, we get to know who we are as a person, what our values are, we find our niche in life, we learn what we like and dislike as far as personality as well as activities go. We just "evolve".

Walts - maybe you need to find someone you know would be good for you but with a little 'quirky' side to them.

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2012 1:40:27 PM
Absolutely my "type" has evolved.

When I first discovered I was interested in girls, I thought anyone over the age of six was over the hill. Of course, I was four at the time. There was this really hot English girl, with long blonde hair, named Elizabeth in my kindergarten class....

Anyway, since then I've been through a hippy stage, a super-thin, small breasts only stage, and so forth. I notice that just as my age range adjusted naturally to my own, that my attraction to body types expended a bit as well. I still have my "generally thin-ISH" preference, but the variation within that has become far less selective.

One thing that was added in the physicality side of things, is that I long ago stopped finding women all that attractive who simply looked good in a photograph. How one moves is far more important to me now.
 ventti
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/2/2012 2:26:27 PM
I've never had a ''type''. It's always been about personality for me.
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:19:08 PM
Ventii - what 'type' of personality are you attracted to? 'Type' doesn't necessarily mean physical type.
 ventti
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:54:09 PM
^^I like relaxed, laid-back guys. Not lazy or unambitious or without intensity, but not guys who are quick to anger or highly opinionated. So I guess if personality is a "type", than that's mine! And no, my attraction in this regard hasn't changed - in fact, it's become much stronger.
 vanityfair55
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/2/2012 5:00:22 PM
I think I finally got over the bad boys!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/2/2012 5:32:19 PM
^^^
Well dang-it.
Now us bad boys find that out.
:-p

My type hasn't evolved.
I've just grown much more flexible.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/2/2012 6:57:36 PM
I don't have a type in terms of features but I absolutely have evolved in terms of what personality traits I look for - and avoid. As I learn more about myself, I learn what types of personality when combined with mine, make for a stronger team.

I have a strong personality and I've always been independent and so confident men who are not phased by that has always been important but as a young woman, I sometimes confused controlling as confidence when in fact it is the polar opposite. I have better learned to identify those who are truly confident in who they are rather then portraying the illusion of confidence.

I rarely have experienced an instant attraction. For me that evolves as I learn more about a person and is strongly linked to how they think and their process of logic and many other personality traits. That too, took time to understand, and I think in the past, I may have dismissed potential partners because of the lack of instant chemistry. I now understand that simply isn't how it works for me.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/2/2012 9:30:09 PM
There are a few qualities that have to be there to attract me but I dont have a specific type. Chemistry and attraction comes in all forms. The voice is very important, financially comfortable, no addictions, humourous and intelligent. Masculine, rugged and confident. Courteous and mannerly to all. No foul language. Likes animals as much as I do. A music lover. These things that attract me have not changed over the years and wont. I had maybe one bad boy, that is enough.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/2/2012 10:12:35 PM
My type hasnt but I have :P
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2012 10:35:50 PM
No....I always liked the "clean cut, conservative look", with the friendly open-minded personality.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2012 1:36:50 AM
Used to prefer them with hair... now I'm extremely fond of bald/shaved **grins**
 deere_rancher
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2012 4:02:44 PM
For me , not really .. in a lot of ways ,still looking for that sweet, smiling girl in my 7th grade class
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/3/2012 7:52:47 PM
I’d say my type did evolve over time but it happened so slowly that I didn’t really notice. After Lucy, my first love, they gradually got taller, brainier, a little more talkative. But there was something about that first one (might have been her bone structure) – I wouldn’t forget her in a million years.
 GingersnapWA2
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/3/2012 8:08:48 PM
Yes, my type has evolved over time. I have finally come to the conclusion that I don't Have a type! I like all different types of men : )
 kenp_43
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/3/2012 8:37:11 PM
Kinda of a redundant question for life is all about change and how we adapt. If we were satsified with how things were then would not we still be where we were? Most are here on this site,or other sites, looking for what they believe now fits their lives now. The only thing that never changes is the basic need to be wanted and loved how when why and where are the only unknown...have we changed I truely hope all have as we go with lifes ebbs and flow if not we will be stuck where we were....happy fishing!
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2012 10:20:25 PM
Ohhhh Heck yeah.....I used to look for men who were adventureous and could keep up with me......Now, I just check to see whether or not they can still see to drive at night!
 sylvilagus aquaticus
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/3/2012 11:12:31 PM
In some ways, yes, others, no.

I still prefer curvy women over 'thin' women. Women just look and feel right to my mind's eye with decent sized hips, not hips you can hang a purse handle over. Symmetry- nothing glaringly out of proportion- nothing surgically enhanced to look like someone you saw in a movie star magazine, as that's a head-scratcher for me. Sure, I can certainly see plastic surgery for functional or aesthetic reasons. I myself have a horribly broken nose from a car wreck 30 years ago that causes my nose to veer off to the west side of my face. It bugs me when I look in the mirror, but it still works. I know women who have had skin tucks and lifts after weight fluctuations and/or babies. They look fine from what little I've observed without violating their right of privacy. Just as women who proudly wear the signs of motherhood and aging as mileposts of their life have my full support. Going up, adding a size or three surgically? Well, I have no opinion from my perspective; if it makes the woman feel better, it's her body, but it doesn't add in my concept of physical esteem.

Years ago, I thought the only woman for me would have to have red hair and green, perhaps blue eyes. I may have been wrong about that and have a fine looking ex-wife I can no longer claim as proof of concept.

The one thing that has held to constant since that time has been something most would find highly subjective. The brain. Big brains are dead-on sexy. I know many women who are highly successful in their fields because they're smart, well-learned (not the same as well-educated), witty, communicative with how and what they think and can speak on a plethora of topics. A woman with a big bag o'smart and a personality to match it and who can discuss Austrian economic school theories, S.A. Hayek, knows how to dissect a glioblastoma, can diagram the Krebs cycle, calculate wing loading required to lift a mass of x at a rate of y feet per minute, write a small shell script, understands compound interest, discuss geologic sedimentation strata and how it relates to oil and gas production expected yields, and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty delivering kittens by my side, well, I'd be willing to let her sit on a stool in front of me and read aloud from the phone book if it made her happy.

Best,
Rabbit.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/4/2012 7:17:07 PM
^^^ BTW, you have a really excellent profile.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/5/2012 9:15:39 PM
I used to go for tall, dark, handsome, successful, well dressed men ...unfortunately, so did my ex husband.

Today my type is doesn't drool too much, combs remaining hair occasionally, has a prescrition plan with a low co-pay, uses a good denture paste, hasn't declared bankruptcy this week and still has most of his limbs....but I am flexible on that.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Has "your type" evolved over time?