Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Do women actually WANT a nice guy, or do they just say they do?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Do women actually WANT a nice guy, or do they just say they do? Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
oh that old onion ..."looking for a nice honest trustworthy guy"

they always seem to forget to add.."but i want you to be drop dead gorgeous with it and have a big**** (which is fair enough i suppose, but it does`nt help make things any less confusing huh ? ) :O)
 jaqi
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Do women actually WANT a nice guy, or do they just say they do?
Posted: 6/4/2012 12:27:38 PM
I am not overly sure if 'nice guy' means easily walked over. I know when a guy refers to himself as a 'genuinely nice guy' it makes me think of a fella who's a bit wishy washy and maybe says and does things just to please. One that perhaps can't make a decision and is not particularly assertive. I think that women in general, if they are anything like me, are looking for the cave man type that will grab us by the hair and drag us in to the nearest cave! In other words, someone who is in control but not controlling, nice but firm and definately not a 'yes' man!

Btw cruse4, having read your profile and taken a look at your pics, you do look like a genuinly nice guy .... perhaps you need at least one pic where you look a little rough round the edges though!
 zonked123
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2012 12:38:01 PM
Cruse - Being 'nice' is not the same as making a woman feel 'special' or unique - which I think is closer to what they actually want. Perhaps use 'niceness' as a means to focus on qualities about the woman that you find appealing?
 Jo van
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/4/2012 12:46:20 PM
My old English teacher at school, used to forbid the use of the word "nice", as an adjective, claiming it to be "almost meaningless", and would hit us across the knuckles with a ruler, once, for every occurrence.

I tend to agree, though I fully understand what it means, in this context.
I think Msg 17, got it in one.

Perhaps it would be better, and quicker, to put "No cvnts need apply", on a profile...?

zonked123
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2012 1:39:51 PM

I want a man that worships the ground I walk on, is rich beyond my wildest dreams and is so good in bed I constantly have what the French call little deaths

Fair enough, yet when I put my wish list to woman '...twin sister, brewery owner, goes like Romel...' I get immeidiately blocked. There's no justice.
 lovepassionx
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2012 5:52:06 AM
I agree. "starting out as friends" projects an element of "wussness" What happened to sweeping a woman off her feet and being a man about it? You need to stand head and shoulders above the crowd and lead her into a world of romance and excitement to leave her with butterflies when she thinks of you. There is enough of the prosaic in all our day to day lives without adding "starting out as friends" to it!

Women find "bad guys" attractive because they give then an emotional rollercoaster and challenge them; albeit jumping from bad emotions to good ones, they're the ones who they constantly check their phone for.
Any nice guy worth his salt could create the same attraction without demonstrating the negative bad boy traits, the rollercoaster just needs to miss the bad parts out and fill them with excitement, adventure, passion and unpredictability.

If her girly friends aren't listening to the tale of your night out the next day without saucer eyes and open mouths of envious disbelief then time to- as you succinctly put it- man up.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2012 3:32:23 PM
^^^^ name dropper :O)
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 8:46:05 AM
^^^^^
If I ever figure out what darknight48 is saying, I may comment on his post - then again I may not

gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 9:39:16 AM
Lord Snipe, you have obviously rumbled me...

Nice men or women for that matter do not need to advertise that they are nice. It is quickly apparent in the way they act towards you. Wishy washy tail between the legs nice guys that run around trying to anticipate your every requirement should be shot at contact, prior to contact if that was possible.

Nice guys that treat you with respect are a different kettle of fish. I would never date someone that I did not think was nice from my viewpoint but then neither would I date a nice illiterate who had no viewpoints of their own and couldn't stand up for themselves.

And just don't get me started on the nice guys that want to meet a nice woman to go on a nice date, eat a nice meal and then go for a nice walk. I'm afraid I immediately assign them to the reject bin.
 Jo van
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/6/2012 9:47:27 AM
Who knows what "women WANT"..?
Any more than you can say what "men want".
That's half the population of the world, about three and a half Billion people. I'd be very surprised of you could find any commonality there, other than "to continue breathing".

If any person gives you that, as their description of the "ideal partner", all they're really saying, is that they don't want to go through the time, and effort involved, in the 'filtering process', to establish, (after they've already GOT into the "relationship"), that the other individual turned out to be, (in their opinion) a pr1ck/"Playa"/fool/"Not relationship material", (* delete as applicable), for reasons only known to themselves.

And there lies the problem with all relationships, between any two people.
You never really know what the other person is thinking.

What everyone "WANTS" (NO need to shout) is for their partner to think, just like them.
In my experience, that seldom happens.
Depressing, isn't it...?

ControlledFolly
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 10:43:17 AM
Men want a lady out of the bedroom and a whore in it.

Women want a nice guy out of the bedroom and someone who isnt boring in it.

/meerkat voice *simples*
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2012 7:19:55 AM
Darknight

I read words and sentences that people write. I do not attempt to read some obscure, stilted **stardisation of the British language. In saying that, my inability to read your attempts at posting is not 'on topic' so I shall leave you to continue your ramblings and others can make of it what they will

Belvisio, I gather you have the same difficulty as I. Did your head hurt?
 Strider886
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2012 5:11:45 PM
Make a profile with a models picture and you can admit to beating every woman you date and still get an inbox full of ladies wanting to meet. Women are very similar to men in this respect, they will look at your photo, and if they like it that is all they think about. Many don't even read the message or profile.
This isn't every woman, but far more than the profiles and descriptions would have you believe."

This.

I conducted an experiement a few years back doing just what you suggested and the profiles that had someone 'good looking', 'tall' or 'wealthy' in it got quite a few messages, whilst my own profile which had nothing different in it other than height, profession and of course my photo got zero messages.

What women say they are looking for and what they actually want/seek are two vastly different things and I have to say it infuriates me that rather than just coming out and admitting "Yes we're as shallow as the men we berate" women always deny it despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary.

Men for the most part go for looks, whilst most women will go for the stereotypical tall/dark/rich/handsome man and if you don't fit into one of those two groups you are going to struggle.

Your right in many ways, but im afraid it's not about looks....... You often find that very attractive and insecure women, will go for ugly men because they think there's less chance of him running off with another woman. I know the logic is f*cked up, because obviously if she would go for mr ugly, then so would other women for the same reason.

It's not about looks, it's about fitting into a stereotype, usually you need to fit the man profile of her friends partners.
We're social creatures, women more so than men, it's natural to see what other people have as being what you yourself need too. WHICH is why film/pop stars get such attention from women, it's not attractiveness or wealth, but the simple fact that they're out there, they're on TV, they seem trustworthy because they're right there in your living room and if her friends are like "wow that guy off Twilight is HOT", she'll probably say the same JUST to fit in and she knows that if she dated his near identical twin, they'd also approve (and approval is everything) . It's how we're programmed, someone who seems familiar or even someone who talks utter shite, is automatically trusted whether they're trustworthy or not.

I've got long hair, often frowned upon..... I had no real interest from women (on here) until around a year or so ago.....
Why? im not entirely sure of the cause, but I know the whole "rock chic" thing really took off around that time, and im quite certain that a few high profile bands (and also film stars) were starting to sport long hair, because I was getting messages saying "hey you look just like X out of YZ!! fancy a chat? x". One I clearly remember had said "Sorry I don't date guys with long hair, it's sooooooo 20 years ago", when I messaged her a few years ago.

DAFT_DOG
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2012 12:59:46 AM
@ msg 126

"Your right in many ways, but im afraid it's not about looks....... You often find that very attractive and insecure women, will go for ugly men because they think there's less chance of him running off with another woman."

If thats the case, where has my " very attractive and insecure woman," been for the past 5 years that i`ve been single ? ( 18 moths of that on here) hahaha,

i cant fully agree with you when you say its "not about looks ", its ( i`ve said it before ) a very cosmetically vain world that we live in, and even if i do say myself, i have the great personality, i`m witty, funny, loyal and caring, blah blah blah, its simply not enough on its own, yes of course there ARE women out there who CAN and DO have the ability to totally disregard a guys looks if he`s caught her attention in other ways, but they do appear ( from my experience) to be quite rare..

i`m quite used to by now, of women looking at my profile , and logging off ( whats that all about ? ) hahahaha

these days, i`m over the moon if a woman even chats to me for more than one or two mails, much less show any interest in me beyond a "chat friend", but, thats life :O)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Do women actually WANT a nice guy, or do they just say they do?