Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What would make you stay in a bad relationship      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 1
What would make you stay in a bad relationshipPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
There are people out there who's once ".....lived happily ever after" relationships turn sour or whichever sort of relationship that they are in. It is not the case though that all these people fall out of them or break up. They seek help of find consolation in one factor of the relationship and hang in there. My question to all interested in this post is, what is that one thing that would make you stay in a relatinship that practically dies a long time ago (NEVER SAY NEVER, it could just be you, who can tell the future?)
 rockarollawoman
Msg: 2
i'm surprised no one has posted a reply to this..
Posted: 11/8/2004 7:53:50 AM
but then again, i'm not surprised

by doing so would divulge their true selves. it's so much easier for us to talk about frivolous things on the boards, isn't it?

here's my take on your very well thought question which i believe is brilliant!

i believe we have all made the errant move of staying in an undesirable relationship at one time or another for longer than should have been..

i have done it more times than i care to admit, but insecurities drive it. it's all down to insecurities. we have this undying, but often times unrealistic hope within us that perpetuates the situation when we our intellectual sensibilities urge us to cut the strings.

proves just how human we really are..

brilliant question, too bad more posts haven't been applied to your submission
 blondago56
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What would make you stay in a bad relationship
Posted: 11/9/2004 9:30:20 PM
my two boys......
 knight2016
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2004 3:18:07 AM
Nothing. I'm pretty quick to jump ship if things are bad. Maybe that is why I am still single. Some things are worth working through. But not all.
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/13/2004 3:59:21 AM
brilliant decision man, you can wake up 20 , 30 years down the road very miserable yet you can't change your life. You just have to explain to the kids, painful but they get over it
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/13/2004 4:01:25 AM
thanks rock, i have to admit , insecurities are the biggest disadvantages.
Here in africa (don't know whether it applies big that side) sometimes it's even pressure and advice from parents. They tell you to hang in there that things will get better claiming that they too experienced such things.
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/13/2004 4:03:29 AM
Guitarman, you were strong on that account, i mean myself i couldn't stay if i didn't like any other thing about you, seriously i feel like chopping you up all the time and then when you open your legs, i come in? i would already be turned off just by your presence! you were strong buddy
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/13/2004 4:05:32 AM
And the noble prize of sensitivity goes to........................ Once did that for a chick, got my life almost ruined coz she wanted me to be there all the time, fortunately she snapped out and we are very good friends now, oh! oh! infact she got me the job i have now. Later she apologised for what she had put me thru.
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/13/2004 4:08:20 AM
Vanni, trust me, you try to hang on, you die inside till you get to this point when the house just feels so small, you feel like you are rubbing shoulders with the other person all the time, for a moment there you may committ murder depending o your tolerance level. I mean you could wait for a year and there is nothing good coming up!!!
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/13/2004 4:12:12 AM
yesterday some long time married colleague told me that the love wears out and you are living on some kind of mutual understanding, you feel you are grown and cant start jumping around, he doesn't beat you, still takes care of you, great with the kids, respects you. so you are like "what the heck, some of my friends are not receiving all this" I guess it's true what someone said earleir that it's some aspects withing the realtionship that are good
 the_big_bad_wolf
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/14/2004 10:55:33 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and support! why get rid of someone you dont like when they keep you going.. and pay for eveything.!
 the_big_bad_wolf
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/14/2004 12:00:00 PM
ahh who cares!! get his money and go out and make yourself happy!!! just come home to him is that soo hard!?
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/24/2004 6:27:57 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the interest in the thread, am honored.
Compromising is really very hard for those who do it, you might just blow up one time. Practically that means that you are a saint, coz you will have dedicated your life for others (your kids) Dunno though God would give you the title What about if you just keep in and get see someone on the side? doubt if your partner will even notice coz at that time the two of you don't give a sh*t what the other does
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/24/2004 9:15:07 PM
Contrary to conventional belief,
Kids from a very tender age notice if their are rough shoulders between their parents, at the end of the day they keep worrying abou the break up and can end up being very difficult to the parent that they think is causing all this trouble. When you get out of it, sometimes it helps, they may get hurt but then with time as you explain it, they understand, infact you are in better position to even have quality time with them when you yourself are relaxed and settled. I think that going out isn't such a bad idea, not very useful dying inside for years
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/24/2004 9:20:48 PM
thanks vivi, hard to get such a compliment from a fellow man , hope am not taken advantage of coz i might just be in the category of the nice guys
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/24/2004 10:07:44 PM
I hear you vividdingo, thanks
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/25/2004 6:20:21 AM
That is very true, you wake up one day and the bright years have passed you by. I think their are better ways to survive than just to hang on onto a bad relationship for finances. May be am just talking without experience.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/4/2005 10:17:50 AM
being chained and or drugged up I guess would be the ONLY way I would rationally stay.It can take a while to see that a bad or unhealthy relationship is bad or not getting better.Sometimes its the prospect of change that makes people stay a little longer than they should.
 Melodic Euphoria
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/4/2005 7:09:19 PM
If I got into a bad relationship AND had his kids, then for the needs and safety of others, esp. my children.
 batgirl
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/2/2005 9:50:11 AM
My former best friend is in an abusive, drug addicted relationship, and the only thing I can figure out as to why she's still in it (or rather in it again, as they broke up and then got back together) is that she doesn't want to be alone.

Personally, I couldn't do that... technically I've been alone since August and it doesn't bother me so much as I'd attach myself to the next guy that asked me out.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What would make you stay in a bad relationship