Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How long do you date before you become exclusive?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 quelinda007
Msg: 1
How long do you date before you become exclusive?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've been dating a man that I met on POF for 3 months now . We spent a lot of quality time together and has brought me around his friends, co -workers and family. He pursues me often ...spending his weekends with me, phone calls, texts, etc.I haven't dated anyone since I have met him by choice but I have noticed that he logs on to POF about once every 2 weeks or so.

At what point should I ask wether he is still seeking to date other people and if so should I mention that I have seen him online? I really like him ...I'm ready to put my eggs in 1 basket . I'm scared to come off like a needy chick.Not sure how to approach this or if I should just wait for him to bring up this topic? SOS !HELP!
 c_deacon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How long do you date before you become exclusive?
Posted: 6/6/2012 8:18:25 PM
If you know how often and when this man of yours is on, then you are on, and he could very well be thinking the same thing that you are........so, where is the open communications and asking?

Are you two bedding each other? If so, then it is logical for many reasons, especially safety, to ask to be exclusive. You might care about him, and enjoy him, but you do not, or should not, want to to have to bed all those others that might have been with him and you do not know about. Ask to mutually get tested, and to be exclusive......and let him get on line all he wants.....just as long as you know who he is with and where he hangs his shorts.....;)

cd
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 8:41:37 PM
If 2 people like each other and express that to each other they usually want to be exclusive. To make sure you are both on the same page TALK about it and clarify your intentions and then discuss if you still will be talking to others on POF. Sometimes couples still go to the POF parties and talk on the Forums.
 DragonBits
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/6/2012 8:56:54 PM
I would ask him about his Pof account, but of course you also have one. Isn't it likely he has also seen you online? What will you tell him about your account if he asks?

Maybe send him a PoF msg and ask if you should keep meeting like this? Make it a sort of joke to see what he says.

Doesn't sound like he has time to date anyone else.
 neck romancer
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 9:21:57 PM
I dont feel there is a set time.. but considering how long you have been dating I would say you should have that conversation now.
Best of luck :)
 the27thletter
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2012 1:28:53 AM
Well, the first thing I have to say is that 3 months is quite a while! I was getting to the point with the guy I am seeing about asking him if we had crossed the line into Boyfriend/Girlfriend Land after 1 month. This week he introduced me as "my girlfriend" to his friends, and I texted him on it. I told him that I'm happy to know and that I'd change my facebook status if I had an active account.
I don't check his POF account. I sign on here now solely for the forums. He has never asked me about it. I'd be more than willing to tell him about it if he does. Honestly, I'll probably offer the information at some point... I'm pretty direct with stuff. I don't feel like coming here is wrong, so there's nothing to defend.

If you're curious, you should ask him. There are different ways of wording it. My approach would be something along the lines of:
"I really like my time with you, it's looking like it's working out and I'd like to be your girlfriend if you'd want to be my boyfriend."
 joe_226
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2012 9:05:21 AM
I agree with all that say...you should have the "exclusive" talk with him. Communication is the # 1 key to any relationship...if it doesn't exist, then there is no "relationship". However, if I may suggest hun, do not "assume" that since he's still logging onto this site, that his interests are still floating around; Many people, including myself, keep in contact w/friends on here and/or enjoy reading & posting on the forums here...and that's all the activity there is. I would "ask" him though if he's "keeping his options open" on here though.
Good luck & God bless ;)
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/8/2012 5:38:37 PM
Exclusivity? As soon as both parties agree to it.
 quelinda007
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/10/2012 6:37:29 PM
Good idea ;) lol!
 quelinda007
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/10/2012 6:50:00 PM
So , I had the "talk" with him about being exclusive. Everything went very well. We both are on the same page as far as not dating other people and have the same goals relationship wise for the future!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How long do you date before you become exclusive?