Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Giving a guy flowers....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 juicyfruit21
Msg: 1
Giving a guy flowers....Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I posted this on the ask a guy thread but for some reason it's not there anymore...so I will try here. I was dating this guy for a few months and he told me that he liked getting flowers/or a flower every now and then from a woman....I laughed and he said.."well guys like romance too."

I thought this was strange as I never would think of giving a guy a flower(s). I thought it was the other way around...
Do you think his thinking or wanting flowers is....weird, strange, gay or what? Just never had a guy tell me this before...
 NVMinerMan
Msg: 2
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:40:48 PM
hes gay. a prime rib is better. u can have the flower in a salad if u like.
 c_deacon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:56:01 PM
The flowers would be considered foreplay in my mind, so send away and then have those petals leading me to you and what follows.....;)

I think flowers are fine for both genders, and I am far from gay, so that is just stupid in my mind to even suggest. Flowers are like Valentines Day.....in the man's corner but should be just as much a woman's thing to show affection, and tempting as it is for men.

Go for it!!

cd
 smarternudumbernmost
Msg: 4
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:57:31 PM

Do you think his thinking or wanting flowers is....weird, strange, gay or what?

I think it would be weird, strange, gay or what if the guy was 20.
But if he's in his 50's too I wouldn't think it's all that strange.
People collect all sorts of hobbies and desires or what they like as they get older.
For all I know he likes to play in the garden.
For all I know he always loved botany and wanted to be a botanist as a kid, but "society" told him to get a real man's job.
For all I know it's far easier to quip "well guys like romance too" rather go into how he always liked cool flowers, exotic flowers.

Of course for all I know he used to bring his ex's flowers all the time and he simply came to associate that with caring about someone, or testing how much you are interested in him. It just became a shortcut to him.

I like chocolate covered peanuts. But you're supposed to bring the woman candy. I had a woman give me chocolate covered peanuts on a date once, and she didn't know of my affinity for them. That turned me on a lot.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 5
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:04:00 PM
What kind of flowers he likes? Pansies?

juicyfruit21
Msg: 6
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:05:28 PM
Nope...the dude was not into "gardening" at all....believe me. I would think maybe he would like cookies baked for him as that I would do for a guy. And if he liked a particular candy...no problem. I just thought the flower thing was....strange. Oh well....to each his own.
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:06:39 PM
i've gotten flowers a couple times. one was from my gf when she was out of town for a month, so she couldn't buy me dinner or do anything more immediate. the other was from a gal i was dating who lived in another state - again, since every florist delivers, they're a very accessible gift choice for someone far away.

it was the thought that made the gifts work. i liked them.

What kind of flowers he likes? Pansies?

heh. you're a rose with a few thorns, aincha? ;)
 neck romancer
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:36:48 PM
If he likes flowers get the man flowers... sheesh not that big a deal!
I myself wouldnt mind flowers.. but would much rather cookies or candy.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 9
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:39:09 PM
this guy for a few months and he told me that he liked getting flowers/or a flower every now and then from a woman....I laughed and he said.."well guys like romance too." I thought this was strange as I never would think of giving a guy a flower(s)

I think just his asking for them was a bit strange.. Maybe his previous girlfriend had done some flower-giving...

I can only remember being given a bunch of flowers from a girlfriend once, it was soo unexpected that it was a pleasant surprise and got my attention.
Maybe that is the way giving should be, unexpected surprises may be more meaningful and appreciated..
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 10
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:55:22 PM
heh. you're a rose with a few thorns, aincha? ;)

Yes, Darlin'... I can't help it.
: )

Extollere
Msg: 11
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:57:46 PM

I thought this was strange as I never would think of giving a guy a flower(s). I thought it was the other way around..

I've done this. Roses once, some years ago. He really appreciated them.

I've also gifted a Red Anthurium plant to someone else I was dating (more recently). He adored it and said it was beautiful. When I saw it, I adored it, too. I wanted to steal it back, but that would've been mean. He'd already added it to his plant collection.

Someone else I know would pull over on the side of the road just to check out and/or photograph unusual plants and flowers. I knew this first hand as I happened to be in the car with him at the time. He'd then get back behind the wheel and describe to me what they were as we continued on our merry way. The man knew his stuff, yet his specialty was Herpetology.

Guess what? Some men like flowers.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 12
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 12:20:45 AM
Men appreciate flowers in a home as much as women. So why not? However, I would never send a guy flowers though, perhaps a bottle of wine and crackers. It would not occur to me. It would feel strange. I guess it is just custom.
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 12:34:40 AM
A few days ago I bought a man I am seeing, as a present, some Stinking Bishop cheese. Althougth he appreciated the jesture and quite liked the taste he was far from keen on the smell - my word does it stink. . Maybe I should have got some flowers instead.

I don't think it is weird for men to like to be given flowers.
 Extollere
Msg: 14
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 12:42:20 AM

It would feel strange. I guess it is just custom.

I'm sure it happens more often than we'd think. Floral websites do have some rather guy-friendly arrangements, after all, so someone's gotta be buying them. Unless you happen to know a lot of women who'd totally dig receiving the "Beer Mug of Blooms" from their boyfriends.

If you think that's unusual, you might not have seen the sports-themed chocolate covered strawberries, either. A giant strawberry dipped in white chocolate and decorated like a baseball (football and basketball versions, too). So yeah, very easy to give a guy chocolate and flowers should you be so bold. ;)
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 15
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 1:59:22 AM

wanting flowers is....weird, strange, gay or what?

I love getting flowers – bought myself some just yesterday. Which pretty much proves all of the above. Dahling.
 DomG79
Msg: 16
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 2:43:42 AM
If that sounds gay, then some of the men here are uncomfortable in their own masculinity. Is it gay to bring flowers to a man's funeral? To me, I'd appreciate anything with some thought behind it. Thoughtful women should be appreciated. I'd rather have a plant or something. I'd imagine a rose from a woman given to a man would have the same meaning behind it as the more conventional way that we are all used to.
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 17
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 3:24:58 AM
I have given a couple of my dates a single Gladiolus. They mean strength of character and when I like a guy and feel like he is a good man then I give him one.

One guy was a Navy Seal. He loved it. His smile was huge and he got a good laugh out of it and said it was a first for him but it felt good to get it.

OP I don't think there is ever anything you can do for a man that he wouldn't appreciate if he knows it is genuine and it comes from the heart. Well, that is if he likes you.

Many men own, run and operate flower businesses. My ex-fiance's Grandfather was one of them. He made millions doing it. His father followed in the family biz but my ex didn't but he still loved flowers....both giving and receiving them.
 flaneur001
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 4:30:10 AM
What an odd post. Of course some men like to receive flowers. There are 3 flower shops next to each other near my home. They have an incredible selection of flowers. I often put together a little bouquet, and give it to the host if I'm going to someone's house for dinner. It's a joy to do and greatly appreciated by men and women. I've never met a man who didn't appreciate the gesture.
 juicyfruit21
Msg: 19
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 4:43:00 AM
(/If that sounds gay, then some of the men here are uncomfortable in their own masculinity. Is it gay to bring flowers to a man's funeral? To me, I'd appreciate anything with some thought behind it. Thoughtful women should be appreciated. I'd rather have a plant or something. I'd imagine a rose from a woman given to a man would have the same meaning behind it as the more conventional way that we are all used to.)

Ha ha...well that is a different way to look at it....but funeral? What would he know...he'd be dead.
 juicyfruit21
Msg: 20
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 4:46:41 AM
What an odd post. Of course some men like to receive flowers. There are 3 flower shops next to each other near my home. They have an incredible selection of flowers. I often put together a little bouquet, and give it to the host if I'm going to someone's house for dinner. It's a joy to do and greatly appreciated by men and women. I've never met a man who didn't appreciate the gesture.

Yes, but he meant just for no reason at all....no dinner party gesture. But I see your point. Yes I've taken flowers to dinner parties too hosted by man or woman.
 Walts
Msg: 21
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 5:02:49 AM
I love flowers but, fair warning,,,not dead (cut) flowers. Give me sumttin in a pot, alive, growin and still reaching for the sun. It would be really cool if I could transplant them into my back. More than one person has given me flowers/plants but usually they have a had a stroll or two thru my yard already. They know.
 juicyfruit21
Msg: 22
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 5:29:13 AM
I love flowers but, fair warning,,,not dead (cut) flowers. Give me sumttin in a pot, alive, growin and still reaching for the sun. It would be really cool if I could transplant them into my back. More than one person has given me flowers/plants but usually they have a had a stroll or two thru my yard already. They know.

That's different....you're a garden person. He just meant like a single rose or whatnot. But I am really liking all of these responses....it's nice to get others' perspectives. I just would never think of doing it....but some guys like the gesture and some think it weird too...depends on the guy.
 Paderic
Msg: 23
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 6:21:21 AM
Nothing wrong with giving a guy flowers. It's the thought that counts, right?

I would say guys that have a problem receiving them are probably insecure.
 Pinky127
Msg: 24
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 7:07:27 AM
Op,ive only ever given flowers ONCE to a guy,but i bought a terracotta pot,potting mix and planted some gold and orange flowers in it.
I gift-wrapped it with a card and gave it to him and he loved it!
But a bunch of flowers? No,i haven't *shrug*
 juicyfruit21
Msg: 25
Giving a guy flowers....
Posted: 6/10/2012 7:31:35 AM
I had a friend who was a fireman so when he got a commendation I sent him flowers in a little fire engine vase. He was so touched by that and said he had never had a woman send him flowers before...

Yes but he was a platonic friend I take it...not an amorous interest??? But what you did for him was awesome...that is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Giving a guy flowers....