Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > whats with walks on the beach      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hereiamhonxox
Msg: 1
whats with walks on the beachPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
i read so many profiles with (i like to walk on the beach) it makes me puke. I mean who would really want to go there when it seem everyone else from here would be there. What are people trying to really say romantic perhaps. do the couple wear white also
 imrrc
Msg: 2
view profile
History
whats with walks on the beach
Posted: 6/10/2012 10:46:30 PM
if you notice, a lot of them don't list much or describe themselves much. It sounds good to them, something many enjoy though. I like to walk on the beach, but if I listed it I would state "venturing down the beach searching for things that have washed up" or "walking, talking, enjoying the waves"
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:13:06 AM

i read so many profiles with (i like to walk on the beach) it makes me puke. I mean who would really want to go there when it seem everyone else from here would be there. What are people trying to really say romantic perhaps. do the couple wear white also

My dear, you may think it's pukeworthy, but imagine if you will, you and I on the beach at night. Underneath the moonlit sky, I would gaze into your eyes, as I played Michael Bolton, Barry Manilow, and Air Supply tunes on my kazoo for you. Like a Snickers bar left in an automobile on a July afternoon, you would melt.
 laskoboo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 5:25:53 AM
Best not to assume... and ask where they walk on the beach. Some people use that term
in a joking way and don't walk on a beach or go to one, others travel a lot and actually do.

Rule number 1 in online dating is learn how to communicate better and not assume what someone means,
if your interested in knowing them, take time to ask.
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/11/2012 5:33:06 AM
If you look at some of the profiles here in Australia, many who list "Walk on the beach" for first date actually don't live anywhere near one. Perhaps they are looking for a helicopter pilot to date ?
 Luckyshamrocks
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/11/2012 5:36:22 AM
I love these too..especially when they list it as an idea for a first date...I want to say " Dude, We live in Illinois!!! There are no flipping beaches! A walk in a cornfield would be more likely!! "
 femaleconnection
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/11/2012 6:31:53 AM
Never assume...I dont live near any coastline, but I do live near some gorgeous lakes,....and I do love to walk on on those beaches. You dont need a coastline to enjoy a beach, there are tons of small lakes, rivers and waterways that have beaches, docks and other places to enjoy the fresh air, sunshine and companionship of a good person. I know it sounds cliche...but remember why a clich is a cliche...because it is common.

How about if you dont like beaches, you just ignore those of us that love them. Seems pretty simple actually.
 ohenryx
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 8:22:50 AM
I have to admit that I get rather tired of reading that ("walk on the beach"). And I see a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of profiles where women gush about how much they like the water (being on the water, by the water, etc). I think a lot of this comes about because of people copying each other's profiles.

I know it isn't easy, but try to be original. And keep working on it. You shouldn't expect to have a great profile on your first attempt, but there is no law which says you can't keep improving it.
 c_deacon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:34:13 AM
It makes sense if you live close to a beach and have fond memories of beach life, but if not close, why mention it? It reeks of "please take me on a vacation to a beach", if one lives far from any large body of water.

Since I grew up near a beach, I understand how it can be thought of and used, but I am far from one now, so I state a walk, hike, or bike ride, which is much more in tune for where I live now.....even though I do need and get my water fix, at least once a year.

cd
 windchymes
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:45:11 AM
Well, beaches and everything about them are awesome, but that being said....

"Long walks on the beach" is one of the popular profile catch-phrases, along with "life's too short", "loves to laugh" (who hates laughing?), "looking for a good woman" (who's looking for a bad one?), "loves dinning out" (and apparently hates spellcheck), and the ever-popular "looking for a woman who's as comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans as she is in a little black dress and heels".

Oh yeah, the hiking and biking afficionadoes. Those beaches and trails must be teeming with people.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:20:01 AM
All of the beach comments are silly: people who say they like sex on the beach have never really had sex ON the beach.
 windchymes
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:34:52 AM
I drank one once. It was delicious. :D
 Miss W
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/11/2012 11:32:50 AM

I always think these women have been watching too many Sandals Resorts commercials, soap operas, and shows on the Lifetime network. An overly idealized concept of romance.

It isn't just women. When I was interested in dating from here, it seemed as though every other guy's profile said that they wanted to walk on the beach, even if they were miles and miles or a few states away from one. The beach is fine and all, but aren't they afraid that it is a bit crowded with people from here?
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/11/2012 2:10:31 PM
For me its about 20min drive. When I used to live with the EX GF. I would call her sometimes saying I'm going to be home soon. I would ask her to make some hot tea. Cause we are going to the Big Rock. There is a huge rock about another 20min drive on a secluded beach. Pick her up then go and pick up Pizza or a burger drive to the beach for dinner and a walk. Sex on the beach ........... Heck yeaaaaa..
the cops chased us off the beach twice lol.
 Rokei57
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 3:19:42 PM
I love walks on the beach and while I didn't list it as something I enjoy I would never regret a nice walk on the beach with a date.
 Walts
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/11/2012 4:33:27 PM
The beaches I tend to frequent are great for walking,but ya actually have to be in shape to do these little hikes. The other bonus about the places I visit,,,,,no people.
 lobo65
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 4:52:21 PM
I live two miles from the beach, and can walk on it whenever I want. I've only done it with one girl I dated though. If I'm near the beach, I'm on my bicycle working on a 10 mile ride.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/11/2012 4:57:04 PM
Umm...for those of us who live on a coast of Florida, it's a common activity. If someone lived in Montana, that'd be a "whaaaaaat?"

Everything gets old, even going for a walk on the beach...ugh. Not exactly something special.
 Maleman999
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/11/2012 5:07:46 PM
The problem for women going for a walk on the beach is there's no stores along the beach. That's why women are bored with the beach. The way to impress women is to go for a walk in a mall.
 nostress59
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/11/2012 6:23:20 PM
Finally, someone has hit the nail on the head...I'm PUKING right along with you...
 juicyfruit21
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/11/2012 6:38:32 PM
I wanna walk on the moon with that special someone. thank you for listening. :)
 shy2anne
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:32:45 PM
i had to laugh when i read this cause i have thought the same thing! what is with all this walking on the beach?
and yet..
i've always lived near the ocean and hope i always do.
and i take a walk to the beach nearly every day lol (in season and when it's not raining) so i am one of those beach walkers!
i've also had quite a few nice memories of times on the beach. take a pizza down there and watch the surf, bring a blanket and a bottle of wine at sunset, have a bonfire at night. it is very peaceful and i guess i am a corny romantic.
so i don't find it so much a surprise when people in my area would say that they enjoy the beach.
never did find a flowing white dress though..
 TheReason_
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:34:23 PM
I've walked on a beach.

No big deal.
 rockondon
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:03:24 PM
Its just a cliche thing that unimaginative people say.

Where I live the one that bugs me, and its on EVERY woman's profile, is that they like to go quadding. They never seem to own one, but they all love to drive them. I bet if I looked at the profiles of 80yr olds in this city they'd probably have quads as one of their interests.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:32:03 PM
Oh my God! There are people who like the beach!! Red flag alert! Red flag alert!

Quick, everyone! Add "must not like the beach!" to your profiles!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > whats with walks on the beach