Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > White, hetero Aussies discriminated against.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 1
White, hetero Aussies discriminated against.Page 1 of 1    
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-news/special-bail-planned-for-minorities/story-e6freuzi-1226394887994

Special bail laws for homosexuals and other 'minorities'. This is sheer discrimination
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 2
White, hetero Aussies discriminated against.
Posted: 6/14/2012 5:19:59 PM
From what I read the new laws apply to everyone, and are an attempt to move away from a preumption of no bail, except where the person poses a danger or a flight risk. The concern was that too many were being detained after arrest, held (for up to 6 months), and then ultimately found to be not guilty...so in effect had been punished for nothing.

" It's getting it back to those essential principles, that until you've been found guilty by a court you are entitled to liberty unless you're a risk to the community or you're a flight risk," he (David Shoebridge) said.

"Because once you've been charged that doesn't mean you've been found guilty. That's what the bail laws are meant to produce, but increasingly anyone who's been charged has been put away often for six to nine months.

"Many of them have been found not guilty and that's a gross injustice."

Special mention was made of young people, the elderly, the disabled, the mentally ill, anyone who is ill or frail, anyone who might suffer excessive hardship during detention such as those who would lose their jobs or who are most at risk of abuse or violence whilst in prison (minority groups). Acknowledging those special vulnerabilities certainly doesn't mean anything like your idea that a white heterosexual Aussie in NSW will not be covered by this new requirement to lean towards bail unless that person poses a danger or a flight risk.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/14/2012 7:37:10 PM

From what I read the new laws apply to everyone

From what I read, it absolutely doesn't.

the Law Reform Commission report released by Attorney-General Greg Smith yesterday also recommended special bail treatment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, gays and people from a non-English speaking backgrounds

Maybe you need better reading glasses?
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/14/2012 8:46:22 PM
That's always a possibility. But perhaps you can guide me to the section/s of the legislation that give rise to your concerns? I popped my glasses on and had a look at section 32 which covers criteria to be considered when deciding bail, and found this...

In making a determination as to the grant of bail to an accused person, an authorised officer or court shall take into consideration the following matters........//.....

the probability of whether or not the person will appear in court in respect of the offence for which bail is being considered, having regard only to:

(i) the person’s background and community ties, as indicated (in the case of a person other than an Aboriginal person or a Torres Strait Islander) by the history and details of the person’s residence, employment and family situations and the person’s prior criminal record (if known), and

(ia) the person’s background and community ties, as indicated (in the case of an Aboriginal person or a Torres Strait Islander) by the person’s ties to extended family and kinship and other traditional ties to place and the person’s prior criminal record (if known),

Pretty similar in intention and result, aren't they. Both go toward assessing flight risk but are termed slightly differently. Is that what has you upset? (There were other things listed in (a) as well, but they contained no further differentiation for specific demographics, and the last one was very general indeed in allowing the judge further discretion.)

It's true though that a bit further down in sect.32(1)(b) it is mentioned that the court shall factor in any special needs of a person arising from certain things....like if there are any special needs of Aboriginals and TI's, or under 18's, or people who are mentally ill, or people with an intellectual disability. Also mentioned in (b) there is mention of people who are drunk, people who are injured, people who need to go to work, people who will be prevented from doing something they legally need to do, their criminal history, etc.

And then there is info about all of that being dependent on what a person were arrested for in the first place to make sure they aren't being let out on bail if they pose a danger.

Didn't see gays mentioned specifically. Either I haven't found the actual section of the Act that has upset you or I need stronger glasses?
 tensail
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/15/2012 1:53:30 AM
welcome to v real world this stuf has been going on 4 decades now since v femis got power, v most discripinated person in our society is midle aged single white male!
 foxboroughhottubs
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2012 8:15:26 PM
AMEN NH !

It never ceases to amaze me , how often the "rights" of the criminal come before those of a victim or future possible victim .
As far as I am concerned if you participate in a crime against another person , you forgo some of your "rights" because you chose to do so , not because were forced to , you had no option, you didnt know better blah blah blah.
Bail is a privilege , not a right , and ANYONE who so much as farts in public while on bail should have it revoked .
Its like parenting , where you tellthe child not to have a biscuit before tea, they ignore you , grab a biscuit, and instead of voicing, or enacting your displeasure , you rub them on the head saying "Awww isnt he/she cute, here ,have anothe bikkie as well "

All you are going to do is teach them its alright to put their selfishness before others ....

A great personal peeve of mine is things like police chases in vehicles ... WHY on earth do people blame the police when something goes wrong ? Part of the conditions of owning a vehicle and holding a license is quite simply , you are to STOP when directed to do so by the police or relevant authority!
If you have done nothing wrong , what is the harm in pulling over ? A fine for having an unroadworthy car, being summonsed for not having a license ? Being drunk or under the influence of drugs whilst operating a vehicle?
These are all choices people make , but they think they shouldnt have to face consequences because somehow these offenses dont apply to them !
Like it or not , we are all a part of society , if you want to participate in the benefits of living in a society, then in doing so you accept the consequences of doing wrong by it .

This does not mean we are mindless slaves to rules , we still have the choice , but with bail offenders etc , who consistantly show they are not abiding by the conditions set , then they shouldnt be suprised if they have their bail revoked . And the bail SHOULD be revoked , or else it is just the very joke it appears it has become
 qldblue
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/19/2012 1:08:45 AM
When I was growing up my grand mother taught me that you have a choice in what we do, that is the easy part, the hard part is taking responsibility for your choices.

Those words still go to making me who I am today.

A good example of not taking responsibility for one's own action was demonstrated by a 16 year old last night.

This 16 year old managed to get himself reported during a junior AFL game and had to front a tribunnal, which I was chairman of.

Whilst giving his version of what happened this smart a$$ kid proudly told the tribunnal members about some of the other things he did during the game that he wasn't reported for.

Unfortunately some people got annoyed with me when I gave the smart a$$ a dressing down for his actions, the only thing that saved him was the fact the umpires reported him under the wrong law.

As far as his coach was concerned the 16 year old was innocent of all charges and the coach was smug in his comments until I gave him a dressing down because he could have prevented a lot of what happened in the game.
 alex143_4
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/5/2013 10:25:02 PM
Dont worry, maybe when we are the minority in Oz, that will entitle us to more government handouts lol
 gingerosity
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2013 12:38:05 AM
^^^ must be a Houdini.
 Tah,
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/7/2013 2:56:33 AM
maybe they eloped?
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > White, hetero Aussies discriminated against.