Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Online dating working for you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dirtdivamom
Msg: 1
Online dating working for you?Page 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
So how is it working out for you? I tried a while back and met several guys after chatting with them and they never came close to looking like their pictures! One guy was even handicapped and never told me until we met up. So I gave up for a long time with the online thing. Now I am back and hoping it is different........is it?
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 2
Online dating working for you?
Posted: 6/15/2012 6:26:31 PM
Nothin's changed...seriously.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/15/2012 6:42:46 PM

Now I am back and hoping it is different........is it?

What would make you think that it is different now than it ever was?
 flaneur001
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2012 6:48:44 PM
Yes. While it's true I've had some wacky experiences....eventually turning into a good story. I have met some really interesting men. I've also met some pretty terrific men. So, I'm now at frog #9 and it looks like I have 91 to go!
 dirtdivamom
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/15/2012 6:59:49 PM
Well like I said I first tried this a while ago, online dating was still kinda new....so I was hoping now that its been around a while guys would know that posting pictures from years ago or not telling everything would come back to bite them. But it is not sounding too positive.
 c_deacon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2012 7:02:03 PM
Hit and miss with dating on line.....most that are viable live far away, so you just go with the flow and use this site as a social network and not much more.

Every so often, someone may come along and then you decide how you will handle that with them and make a try or not!!

cd
 dirtdivamom
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/15/2012 7:06:15 PM
cd, very true! That sort of is part of my problem. I live in a very rural area, the "city" is 40 miles away.
 dirtdivamom
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/15/2012 7:14:43 PM
I agree....but I am back because I am like that and try to make the most out of whatever situation I am in. I am sure women do the same things I came across with the men.
 Happy Dude 63
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/15/2012 7:40:51 PM
I am not sure how it was. but I have had a profile on here for awhile and from time to time I do spend time and effort into finding a nice,fun lady that we can click. But it NEVER seems to click. I have been on a few meet and greets. Some
Disasters! Yes mostly a photo shop thing. Or not untrue personal physical descriptions. It can be so discouraging.
And as you said, I just don't get why ladies,(and I am sure men do as well), lie about appearances. I just keep a happy attitude and know one day it will happen for me. And that day will be so amazing! Don't let the bad ones spoil you for when the right guy walks by!
 originalNw
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2012 7:50:43 PM
Many Ladies Have mentioned " Kissing a few Hundred Frogs " , to meet their up-date love/boytoy ! And you can understand all those others who described toads,pigs,warthogs, ect.. ! Everything changes..and many things stay the same! I've met quite a few ladies that are good friends now ! And I have respect for the same amount. But there are a few that I almost left this site ..because of they being very Dishonest about themsleves ,and the real reason to find a older man.

Keep trying ! Not All males out there are Evil !
 dirtdivamom
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/15/2012 7:58:23 PM
I won't give up....I know there are some nice guys out there, just very hard to find :-(
 SoHoTxChick
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/15/2012 8:46:43 PM
This is my first time to do this. I signed up a week ago. I know that with my work schedule it is really hard to meet somebody - I was hoping this was going to make it easier. So far I have written back and forth with a few guys, but I am kinda worried from what I am reading from y'alls posts.
I have my first date planned for tomorrow. I thought that by going through this site I would bypass the pond altogether and not have to deal with the frogs. LOL Well, I hope that I will find a nice guy to date for a while.
 MisssButtons
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/15/2012 9:18:03 PM
Been a few years I've tried online dating, had about a dozen meet ups, only one or two second meetings so I guess no it's not working out so well.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2012 10:15:45 PM
My divorce was final Jan. 16, I joined Match. Met 4 guys in a week. I am not into that emailing back and forth thing... so I actually met a few folks. Met a really cool guy a week later, been dating him ever since. :) So yeah it works.
 fea67
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/15/2012 10:18:41 PM
It is the same.... We cannot trust in a picture......
 JAXDiver
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2012 11:49:32 PM

So how is it working out for you? I tried a while back and met several guys after chatting with them and they never came close to looking like their pictures! One guy was even handicapped and never told me until we met up. So I gave up for a long time with the online thing. Now I am back and hoping it is different........is it?
Internet dating has many variables. Two of these, which I believe are most important are geographics [ye olde location, location, location] and demographics. I understand that the internet is supposed to be the great equalizer, but when you live out in the boonies, the misses cost more than for those who live in larger metropolitan areas, due to the cost of travel to meet. Scammers are everywhere on the Internet, including dating sites. I suggest using another Internet tool which should reduce your cost of meeting AND your cost in frustration: the chat! Within chat, the opportunity exists to stop typing, use voice AND VIDEO! I believe if used properly, before one travels any distance beyond your coffee table to meet someone, one can reduce ones surprise variable dramatically! So chat up and have the prospective use see-me - see you technology or you can't see me! Get it?

Oh! I forgot to answer the first question. Online dating beats the bar scene any day and one can do it in you pajamas, except when chatting in video mode! LOL
 FitAtFittyFive
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/16/2012 12:38:01 AM
Well, I've only just started, but so far I'm not thrilled. One more to go today. Maybe this one will change my views... *crosses fingers*
 realmofthought
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/16/2012 4:38:35 AM
No pressure or undue expectations here....been on 2 meet/greets (and 1 no show!).
The best policy is to take it for what it is...a venue to meet new people,hopefully in your locale.
Best of luck to all Pof-ers.
 FunnyGirly1
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/16/2012 4:43:33 AM
I did meet my boyfriend on here it lasted over 5 years. I am back to try it again and so far this site has gotten bad. I get e. mails after e.mails and have talked to men on the phone and they are not for me thery are crazy. I am seeing more and more crazy men on here with social problems . I have been on and off of here and it is very bad now.
 Walts
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/16/2012 4:48:57 AM

I won't give up....I know there are some nice guys out there, just very hard to find

They're not that hard to find. Just look north, in another country.

Okay, I guess that would be kinda hard.
 justalongkiss
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:10:49 AM
Sadly its society I think. Relationships are not built on longevity even though that's what everybody wants. So many things are hidden or covered up it's difficult to see through the stained glass window. Myself....I am upfront about what kinda guy I am and what I would like to find in a woman.

Most of us are already the kind of person we are and will not change. Its the core of a person that is that will not change! If only we can see that right away... LOL I wish! I wish I could make that more apparent than I probably do since everyone is looking for the "10" mate! If everybodys looking for a 10... nobodys finding anything.

These sites lend themselves to our basic need to be wanted and to increase that.... so comes the deception and lies (not all mind you). To me, honesty is tantamount and the foundation of a solid and true love/relationship! Ha! deception right off the bat....See ya! I'm not bitter at all but its a fact that to find what we would like to have requires patience and a little humor to go with it....something forced is unwilling!

And the lady who mentioned compatibility at a distance... It's the odds when you have more to choose from. I have limited choices near me as well. I would try a distance (no more than an hour drive although a true "soulmate" from farther?? I don't know LOL) if the right one comes along... but its very difficult during those first months when you should see the true person. I rambled enough...LOL

Luck to you all.
 dirtdivamom
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/16/2012 8:08:58 AM
Wow lots of responses.....I am not feeling too much better now about this though. Ahhh life is so difficult. I am a down to earth, very kick back kind of person. I am lots of fun to be with. Like to do lots of outside stuff. So I don't know what the deal is. They say there is someone for everyone, well my someone must be on some other continent I guess.

I do know people who have met people on match.com, in fact going to a wedding next month.

Things that make you say hmm......
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:52:01 AM

So, I'm now at frog #9 and it looks like I have 91 to go!

Remember, the next man could be on frogette #10 with 90 to go.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:55:40 AM

can somebody answer this please ,ive been talking to a guy a few week now ive come on today and it says * the conversation between you and ........ have been deleted , i know ive nt deleated any on my sise so it it him thats deleted from his side , and i cant see him profile when i click onto his name anymore ??????

He's history.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:43:29 AM
I think there are so many more people on now who have been exchanging horror stories that there is a lot more distrust and cynicism than there used to be.

There are also those who have learned how to play the game who have caused some of the distrust and cynicism too... and those who are venturing into the waters for the first time toe first, meeting hardened cynical veterans who take massive amounts of things out on people.

Personally, I have had some really good luck in meeting some really cool people; talked to some really interesting people and I havealso been floored by some people who professed to be and look like one thing that were MASSIVELY different in every way;

but have made some great friends, have had some relationships happen (a couple of disasters, but a couple good ones) and have been inspired by some incredibly good people, and since forums have talked to even more interesting people (both genders).

So I personally really like it; but I never stayed on the dating side very long at a time; when I started getting a bad taste in my mouth I always got off for a while just to get in a better frame of mind (unless I left it to date someone exclusively); and learned what worked for me in interaction that made it a good experience.

Some things work better for some people than others; but if in a bad frame of mind with a bad attitude? I don't know ANYONE who has been successful while in that... an open mind (with wisdom) is the only way it can work.

VVV

really sorry to hear that. He was a jerk... some people do play games, but more don't than do.

Don't let it discourage you. A friend of mine had her first experience heraing from a guy who put her through cross examination hell when she barely had the guts to get on to begin with (I was even able to name the user specifically; I know several of us women who heard from him)... she almost bailed; but decided not to; saw her last Friday with someone else smiling ear to ear.

So keep the faith and don't let one bad apple get you down.

Best of luck to you
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Online dating working for you?