Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Work rant about rich cheapskates.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 2
Work rant about rich cheapskates.....Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
People get tired of always being asked to pay for something they don't want every time they are at a till regardless of what income level they may have. Maybe some of the people who you see who have money have gotten that way partially because they grew up being thrifty or frugal or cheap ( call it what you will ) and they have not changed thier habits despite thier current financial situation ( it is ingrained in them ). Ask yourself whether you donate to every beggar on the street when you pass them by.

part of the problem with donations is that people would rather do it on thier own free will rather than constantly being pestered to donate
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 3
Work rant about rich cheapskates.....
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:17:17 AM
I suspect that some of the responses you get to this post will argue that they are SO RICH exactly because they are such penny pinchers. It does sound like some extreme lack of empathy to me, though. However, it can get tiresome to be asked to donate money every time I go to the dollar store, but if it is a well-heeled neighborhood with a large number of wealthy people who shop there once a week or so, I don't think it is too much to ask.
 smarternudumbernmost
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:27:43 AM

This is a VERY wealthy location.......LOTS of money out there. I will ask, "Would you like to donate your bag credit to charity?". I'm appalled at the number of people that want a DIME taken off their $250.00 bill......a FRICKING DIME........rather than donate it to a worthy cause. The dimes add up QUICKLY to the charities, resulting in thousands of donation dollars.

Most millionaires in the U.S. became millionaires because they were frugal in their spending.
It's habit.

Well, duh you fricking MORON! Of course I am! Because I find it really hard to believe that Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rover riding tight wads really want to save a dime on their grocery bill.

Maybe you see rich people as viewing their lives as though they've won the lottery rather than a lifetime of certain financial habits?
Like not just giving every Tom,**** and Harry money just because they asked?

Also, a lot of people when pushed will push back, be contrarian, just to show you that you can't peer pressure or control them.
So maybe you should listen to

he felt I was pushing my "agenda" by asking him in the manner in which I did.

and come up with a different manner of asking them.

I'm not asking for a critique on how I ask

You should. How you ask something really drives the results.

I told him I thought it was very philanthropic for peope to part with their DIMES for a good cause (end sarcasm).

Ask any used car salesman how often ridiculing and using sarcasm gets people to buy a car.

Finally told him is OPINION was duly noted.

You're putting yourself as an authority over them, as though they were plebes and you are the official opinion pollster, you are placing them in a group subordinate to your own.
Just another way of saying "I'm better than you, so I am entitled to what you have."
But you probably don't realize it.

I'm asking your thoughts on very well off people hanging on to TEN LITTLE CENTS!!!

How do you know they didn't just come from writing a check for half a million dollars to breast cancer research or something?
When does the giving end? When they are broke? When do they stop getting pestered for money?
I go to the grocery store, and they ask for money for charity.
I go to the ice cream parlor, and she's got a jar out their for her daughters college education fund.
I go to 7-11 and there's march of dimes or some sort of "do you want to donate a dollar to..."
I go to Burger King, and there's a sign on the window asking for donations for someones health expenses.
I go to Chili's, and they ask for money for a charity, but I get to crayon a little pepper.
I get people coming door to door asking for donations.
I see people standing on the road saying "need help."
I see people standing on the road asking for little league donations.

The dimes add up QUICKLY to the charities, resulting in thousands of donation dollars.

Giving to people every day and having them whine and pule adds up very quickly too.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:53:17 AM
Oh there's a host of stuff that causes this sort of behavior. I actually suspect that the least likely reason is the "that's how they got rich" thing. Because it isn't.

Most well off people got that way either by having it handed to them, or by a combination of hard work and luck. Almost no one who is really rich, got there by pinching pennies. Lots of them got there by pinching large wads of cash, in big handfuls.

My vote for why they get testy, would be more along the lines that they get asked to donate almost constantly (EVERYONE these days gets asked to donate almost constantly, not just rich folks), and it gets annoying very quickly. I know that I am so far from being well off, that I have occasionally required help from others myself, and I too get tired of the constant drum beat of requests for money.

I don't say no because I think I'll miss that dime, or that dollar, I say no because I am just exhausted with the emotional tugging that every donation request is accompanied by.

Of course, it doesn't help that there's an entire major political party in this country, which has invested tremendous energy and funds to promote the idea that giving to the needy is a bad thing. Chances are, that promotion feeds into the way they express their resentments to you.

I suggest, rather than reacting to the crap that these folks shovel at you out of their own frustration, that you make a positive effort to reshape the message about helping others, to make it clear that it's not a handing out by the well off to the less fortunate, but an investment in the betterment OF the well off, to help their potential customers and workers better able to contribute to THEIR lives.

It's a complicated point to get across, but I think it's the right way to go.
 flaneur001
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:17:52 AM
Organic, I do understand where you are coming from. 10cents isn't much at all. And if I were needing a bag (I usually bring my cloth bags with me) I would donate the 10cents. However, ultimately it really is our choice who and what we want to donate our money to....it's not the 10cents it's the principle of the situation. I'm one of those people who is financially comfortable. As others have mentioned, I am hit up at every turn for money. I walk to work, on the 15 min sorjourn I would run into at least 10 people begging for money. As part of my bit to balance the 10% (I'm not in the 1 %) I do a lot of professional pro bono work. You would think this would be nice. Not really, it means I get calls daily asking for help, I have to put on my work voice mail and e-mail that I will not return calls requesting this. This is not a good feeling.
I have very community minded friends, who are all involved in various projects. You have no idea how many 'events' I'm not particularly interested in that I donate to...to support my friends. While it's true some of your customers may be cheap, it's also possible that on a lovely Saturday when they are enjoying buying their groceries, they don't want to be hit up for money one more time...even if it's only 10cents.
 knt3
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/16/2012 12:27:43 PM
A couple of things come to mind here.

1st. I hate being asked at the register if I want to donate to whatever charity of the week it is. I just want to purchase and get the heck out without the hassel. I want people to leave me alone, I usually have a whole lot of other things on my mind that I'm thinking about.

2nd. Most people that are finacially wealthy be they inherited or made their monies on their own want to spend their money the way they want or need and even being asked to donate a dime is an insult. Many of these people write checks and support their own charities and causes and so they like to pick their own...not have some solicite them. They can and usually are very generous people but to where they want to be and it's their right.

3rd. People who ring register are usually forced by their company to solicite people for small sums of cash but as you say yourself, those dimes add up to quite a tidy sum. So, the customer already realizes this and they want to keep their pennies, dimes, nickels and quarters and use it the way they want even if it's to throw it back in the bank which is what I do a lot.

4th. People work hard for their money both the rich and the poor so why would they want to give it away. I waite at the register even to get my penney back. I know people could care less about pennies but guess what...it's american currency and it's still worth .1 cent. Ever need a penney and not have it on you?

5th. Don't judge people for how they feel about their money...It's their business and none of yours.

6th. What's up in the way that you speak to them hoping that they will donate? Let your freakin franchise owner, boss or manager beg them for their freakin dime. What the heck are you getting out of it? Many times employees get pushed into doing little jobs that we don't need to do so let your boss do it. The agenda you were pushing was that of your company not yours personally but nonetheless an agenda and the customer didn't appreciate it. He was basically giving you the BIG "F" YOU, 'cause he'll do with his money what he wants to do including spitefully being a tightwad making sure you (the charity), doesn't get it.

7th. Bottom line....people are funny about their money and he's not a moron either. If they dress well, drive a nice car and have vacation homes that are to die for....well then, that's their business.

Not trying to be a hardazz here, just pointing out where people are coming from and seriously, think twice before you call rich people cheapskates.
 lotustemple
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/16/2012 12:34:46 PM
IMO it's way out of line to ask for any charity donation at the check out counter. If that particular business want to give to a particular charity...let them but don't try to manipulate me to join them. I give to mine and don't appreciate being aked for a single penny.

And I don't approve of the ethical practices of many charities including research on animal etc....so the cashier will get a scowl and a sharp word from me if I identify one of these charities.
 _shakti_
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/16/2012 12:44:12 PM
Years ago when I frequented drinking establishments a little more than I perhaps should have, there were 85 cent highball nights. People would order like 10 at a time because they were so cheap.

Anyway, there was a female bartender who was really good looking and clearly got a lot of tips. Whenever I got stuck ordering from her, she would always keep the 15 cents x however many drinks I had ordered and still expect a tip. Her assumption irked me, so one time I stood there with my hand out.. waiting for my chump change. She seemed a bit incredulous, but I just wanted to prove a point.

People donate and give to charity when the spirit moves them.. as it should be. Not when someone is expecting it from you. I would have been turned off as well.

Consider that your attitude is doing more harm than good for a cause that you are evidently pretty passionate about.
 Casper66
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 12:47:10 PM
I think people have charity burnout nowadays, I know I do, everywhere I go I'm asked for money, it gets annoying after awhile and I'm not rich and have to be careful with my money. It's gotten so bad with the phonecalls because a charity I gave to decided to share my personal information with every other charity on the planet that I have to ration my donations, I pick a couple each year and thats it, I don't give to any others. In the end it's their 10 cents and it's their choice what they want to do with it, not yours and if you are not asking nicely and in a non-judgemental voice don't be surprized if people don't donate, I certainly wouldn't if I found the person rude.
 colt8301
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/16/2012 1:22:45 PM

I think your boss should fire you. Your attitude is completely inappropriate and your behavior toward the customers is as well. It is none of your business what these people choose to do with their dime. It isn't up to to. Donating is donating--completely up to the person to make that choice. You are apparently asking people if they want to apply their dime to charity in a way that makes it clear you think they should. Just based on your attitude, I wouldn't do it. Also, you don't know if these people are donating large amounts to charity on their own. Many rich people do because it is a tax break.

Bottom line: you are out of order and if I were your boss, you'd be history.

Lool!!!^^^^
 Blalah
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/16/2012 1:23:51 PM
It doesn't sound to me like you tell the customer what charity they are even donating too. If so that may be a factor in their reactions. And while we're along those lines I encourage all to donate to the Blalah Corporation of the Pacific. You can write it off. We feed homeless mollusks off the coast of Kaho'olawe.
 lucky2beme
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/16/2012 1:32:53 PM
so what about the middle class people who barely earns enough to have a roof over their head and still manages to donate whatever they can spare out of their kindness of their hearts do you think will ever see any of the money if it was a charity to help them..
 want to travel
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 1:43:56 PM
There are very rich (old money) people, who are generous
and new money, the wall street kind that count pennies
 Padawan61
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 1:44:19 PM
I'm appalled at the number of people that want a DIME taken off their $250.00 bill......a FRICKING DIME........rather than donate it to a worthy cause

Every FRICKING charity case out there is a "worthy cause" ... no matter how stupid and a money drain they are. Have you EVER heard a charity promoter say it isn't a worthy cause?? People are tired of you promoters twisting their arm for donations. It's called donor fatigue.

I get annoyed with cashiers asking for donations at every checkout. I say NO ... just to be difficult. Eventually, I might tell them what I think of their charity cases.

I get enough mailings asking for a handout. I don't need it from some checkout person.

It's other people's money you're soliciting and they have every right to say NO. Having a Mercedes, Lexus or Range Rover doesn't mean they are obligated to give you their dime.

Just recently, Tim Hortons here in Canada had their "send-a-kid-to-camp" campaign where the cashier would ask for money to send underprivileged kids to camp. I had to warn my friends who also buy Timmie's coffee to be on the look-out for these leeches.

It's not my responsibility to send someone's kid to camp. That's what parents are for. Even if the kid doesn't get to go to camp ... they won't be "scarred for life". I've never been to camp and I haven't turned into a serial killer, mugger or drug dealer/addict.

Just because I'm not interested in yours doesn't make me a tightwad, anymore than you asking for dimes makes you a saint

Great post!!
 lotustemple
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/16/2012 2:12:08 PM
Many of the major charites we get hit upon to donate at stores have unethical practices:

An old friend of mine was the main accountant for Muscular Dystrophy with Jerry Lewis. Did you know he get's 90% of all donated monies from their telethon?

Animal research is an unnecessary extremely cruel practice which includes the torture of unwanted dogs from shelters. Many of the cancer charities use this research practice as well as the March of Dimes. I have a hard time not yelling when I identify this in one of the charities being pushed on me when trying to pay for goods in a store. I usually make sure everyone in a 20 ft radius hears my spiel of distain regarding their barbaric practices.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/16/2012 2:42:20 PM
Msg 20 wrote :

Just recently, Tim Hortons here in Canada had their "send-a-kid-to-camp" campaign where the cashier would ask for money to send underprivileged kids to camp. I had to warn my friends who also buy Timmie's coffee to be on the look-out for these leeches.

It's not my responsibility to send someone's kid to camp. That's what parents are for. Even if the kid doesn't get to go to camp ... they won't be "scarred for life". I've never been to camp and I haven't turned into a serial killer, mugger or drug dealer/addict.

In B.C. around graduation time, the cashiers at our gov't liquor stores ask us if we would like to donate to " Dry Grad " - out of all the things I could donate money to this has got to be at the very bottom of MY list , I mean, you gotta be fucking kidding me !
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/16/2012 4:19:56 PM
Landra beat me to it.
She said everything I wanted to say.

That's exactly what it is.
EVERYONE wants me to donate to THEIR cause.

Let me give you an example what the Rotary club does in our town...

They park themselves at every incoming/outgoing access to our little town grocery store.
They erect a sign that says TOLL ROAD.
In order to pass you HAVE to donate your change.
WTF!!!

It REALLY infuriates me that they do that!
What right do they have to tell me where I should spend my charity money?

I have my causes that are near and dear to me,
NO ONE has the right to make those choices for me.
Just as YOU have NO RIGHT to choose where those people donate to.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/16/2012 6:23:47 PM
I had a complaint w/ a cashier in a store before over something similar. I donate to causes I support. I also have access to their financials and how they spend donated funds, which matters much to me, as I've seen bleeding hearts abused by unscrupulous charities or charities that are too admin top-heavy in their distribution of funds. I don't think it's a cashier's business about my bag habits or donating habits. When I shop, I don't want to be moralized or preached to. I take my own inventory, and in my life I'm sure I've given more than many. I hope that helps you put things in perspective OP-I wouldn't assume your customers are uncaring. They probably just want their privacy.
 Padawan61
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 9:03:25 PM
Pretty sure the majority here didn't pay attention to the fact that the dime isn't being ADDED to their bill but I've explained that (I think three times) and won't bother again!

Pretty sure most of the posters DID get the fact that the dime is a credit. They are just irate at the "charity of the week" ... as one poster mentioned. North America seem to be built on the notion of donations being the cure-all of social problems.

Maybe I should have mentioned that the man I spoke of is the ONLY one that has ever taken issue. Others that don't want to donate simply say no

Was your attitude the same for all who said no?? Or were you condescending only to the guy who had taken issue??

I don't care how much you give to the charities of your choice............we're talking about a dime. If you're so sick of being nickle and DIMED to death that you can't part with ten cents.......a dime that you've already spent......you've ALREADY spent it............wow......that's a shame

That's your problem right there!! Who are YOU (the morality police??) to judge what people do with their dimes and the amount they've given to their charities is inconsequential?? If I was that guy in the store, I would make your life miserable at that moment just to embarrass you for your rotten attitude.

It's not the dime ... that you keep bringing up. It's the whole damn idea of being hit up for donations everywhere we go.

The charity is for the abused women and children's shelter

NOT something I would ever support ... so you wouldn't be getting my dime credit.

In B.C. around graduation time, the cashiers at our gov't liquor stores ask us if we would like to donate to " Dry Grad " - out of all the things I could donate money to this has got to be at the very bottom of MY list

"Dry Grad" donations?? WTF is that?? Such a scam wouldn't even be on my list ... much less the bottom.

Let me give you an example what the Rotary club does in our town...

They park themselves at every incoming/outgoing access to our little town grocery store.
They erect a sign that says TOLL ROAD.
In order to pass you HAVE to donate your change
Just drive through the fockers. They'll move. Besides, they're not official government toll collectors so their activity is illegal.

An old friend of mine was the main accountant for Muscular Dystrophy with Jerry Lewis. Did you know he get's 90% of all donated monies from their telethon?

That's one of the major reasons I don't give. I'm not donating so some highly paid executive can pad his bank account and pension plan.
 flaneur001
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2012 7:06:28 AM
OP: Your initial post asking a question. People responded - obviously not what you wanted to hear - it's not a slaughter - it's free speech. There are so many ironies I'm not sure where to begin, but let me point out a couple.

Men who abuse women don't do so out of the blue. Often the antecedents to abuse is a rigid sense of entitlement, the inability to communicate (listen to the partner), lack of empathy (putting one self in another's shoes) and a distorted perception of interpersonal dynamics. See any parallels?

So, here we come to this 10cent situation.

OP: Regardless of what everyone has said, you seem indignant and judgmental that we should still support your cause (I do actually! - just not your approach in the matter!), you don't seem to grasp what people are saying about their perspective - the majority of the posts did understand that the dime wasn't being added to their bill.

You say: I don't care how much you give to charities of your choice.....

Well OP: What are you saying? That we should give to charities so we don't offend the expectations/entitlements of the person who wants us to give. The point of giving is to support a cause not the person asking.

Perhaps what's needed here is not 10cents, but an attitude shift. If I walked into your shop and for whatever reason refused to give you 10cents, perhaps instead of thinking I'm cheap, you might think differently. Perhaps something like, hmm, maybe she donates all of her second hand clothes to the shelter instead of goodwill, perhaps when she separated from her spouse and she downsized she donated 1/3 of her stuff to the local shelter, perhaps, every time there is a fundraising event she attends (as I will be doing Tues nite), perhaps every year when she receives the shelters mail out for $ she donates..... Maybe on your side of the counter you could have the humility to understand that you don't know people on the other side of the counter. Perhaps you could assume the best of people and not the worst.

There is my rant OP!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:04:16 AM
^^^^

I don't think the dime is the issue for these people, but the consistent asking, "Do you want to donate."

The ironic thing is, I sometimes answer, "No, thank you."

Why the heck am I thanking someone for asking me if I want to donate to charity?

Before I started teaching, I did a stint as a cashier. When the store (the world's largest retailer) did their charity drives, we were REQUIRED to ask the customers if they wanted to donate. I hated it, but if I slipped up and it was noticed, I would get a word from my supervisor. Not only that, but on "jeans Friday," we were REQUIRED to donate a buck to charity if we wanted to wear jeans to work. When my ex-husband's workplace did their charity drive, people were chastised and even ridiculed if they didn't ante up.

OP, your attitude is out of line. Your place is not to judge the people who come through your line. Your place is to be as pleasant as you can be and give them good service, eh? I once lambasted a man who was talking on his cell phone and repeatedly ignored my "That will be $5.23, sir"--some of us are not cut out to be cashiers.
 trinity818
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:42:02 AM

Men who abuse women don't do so out of the blue

Sorry to go off topic. But....WHAT??

Many of them DO abuse women solely because it's their nature to do so. There is NO amount of provocation that justifies abuse. (Short of physical violence, and that would be self-defense, not abuse.) If the woman is such a self-entitled b1tch, he needs to just walk away.

Often the antecedents to abuse is a rigid sense of entitlement, the inability to communicate (listen to the partner), lack of empathy (putting one self in another's shoes) and a distorted perception of interpersonal dynamics

None of these criteria are necessary for many abusers. They simply get off on beating up a weaker individual. It's no different that the rapist mentality. It's usually about control.

Sorry. I just had to respond to that. Not trying to derail the thread.
 smarternudumbernmost
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:59:18 AM

Pretty sure the majority here didn't pay attention to the fact that the dime isn't being ADDED to their bill but I've explained that (I think three times) and won't bother again!

One thing about anyone with some financial sense understands any magic "credits" deducted from a bill are already priced into the items.
The dime was already added onto the bill via food prices.

Do you think when you use your "value card" or whatever at the store the CFO is going "darn! They got us again! We are losing money! Now we have to report to our shareholders that we aren't going to make our profit figures!"
The prices you pay with the value card are the real prices.
They've already been budgeted that way.
You aren't really saving money, you are simply not being over charged.
Or I should say, the people running it have already budgeted based on their idea of how many shop with the card and those without to determine all prices in order to reach their targeted profit.

Grocery stores have very small margins of profit.
Most stores run based on the amount of profit they want to make.
1%, 3%, 5% profit.
Do you think they forecast or determine prices of goods based on people not using those cards?
They are simply a gimmick to get people into the store, and get their information.
The prices they use are in line with their profit and operating goals and are acceptable to reach them.
They do not stem from altruism.

So when you say it's not being ADDED to their bill, anyone with any sense knows it was added to their bill.
Just not at the checkout point.
They also react to it like the gimmick it is. Especially when pushed, by a pushy cashier.

If you ever get a chance, although maybe your store doesn't have them, look at the applications you get for your value card. See how many actually fill out all the information.
IME working in grocery stores, the majority of people do not give you all the information you "require" on your card applications.
A lot of the information isn't even true.
Depending on the cashier sometimes you don't even get the application back.

In essence you are saying "C'mon, give me your phone number, you get to use the card! We aren't ADDING the cost to your bill, you just pay regular price, but with the card you can save. It's just one lousy phone number, anyone can get it from the white pages. It's just some ink on the piece of paper."

They aren't arguing about the ink on the paper, but the principle they perceive behind it, feeling like they've fallen for a gimmick.
Mostly because you are giving them 2 absolute options.
1. Take it off the bill.
2. Give it away.
The amount, a dime, is arbitrary.
They, or he since you say it's just one guy, isn't necessarily wanting to take it off the bill to save so much as avoid giving it away.
In practical terms the behavior is the same, but there is a difference between wanting to do something, and doing something because you want to avoid something else.

The charity is for the abused women and children's shelter. No animals were hurt in the collecting of these dimes.

What percentage of the dimes goes directly to abused women and children rather than "administration" costs?
Also, do you never watch the news? You know how many of those counter top charities are actually just some person putting up a jar and a pseudo or sometimes fake story to collect money?
 infennario
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/17/2012 9:16:15 AM
I didn’t read all of the responses.

How about rather than forcing the customers making a choice, you approach your boss about not giving a 10cent discount to the customer but instead automatically making a 10cent donation every time someone doesn’t use a store bag? The store can publicize it, that they make a donation for each bag brought in.

Thing is, I thought that stores did this for environmental reasons, not to also get donations. If your store ALSO does the donation thing, then do it- don’t fuss around with this solicitation from the customer.

I always find it odd when someone that I am giving my business to (you're welcome) then asks for more. My thinking: "I just did business with you. You want to give to charity, please do. But what does this have to do with my making a purchase from you?"
 Belle Requin
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:13:17 AM
They get a credit for bringing in a bag, so yes, they are entitled to that 10 cents for bringing in their bag. That is the store policy, right?

I agree with the others who have said they'd rather donate to charities of their choosing. There's many many charities out there that do not support what I want to support. Even if it's only 10 cents, I'm not going to support them. And if I brought my own bag into the store so that I can get 10 cents, then that arguably frees up the 10 cents in my wallet for me to give to the charity of my choosing.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Work rant about rich cheapskates.....