Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > DISCRIMINATION AGAINST FELINES/FELINE OWNERS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 1
view profile
History
DISCRIMINATION AGAINST FELINES/FELINE OWNERSPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Just wondering....what all the "cat hating" and name calling ("crazy cat lady") is all about? No one calls dog lovers "crazy dog men or women".....or says that dog owners have mental health problems. Is it because cats (and generally their owners), can't be "controlled" , and basically, most folks are "control freaks?"

Just sayin......
 ohenryx
Msg: 2
view profile
History
DISCRIMINATION AGAINST FELINES/FELINE OWNERS
Posted: 6/18/2012 12:38:03 PM
No, actually, it is more of a response to news stories about old women dying, alone, and the authorities find 187 cats living in the house with her dead remains. You really don't see many stories like that featuring dogs.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2012 1:42:28 PM
Locally there was a woman who died and willed everything to her cat. This makes no sense. At least will everything to the local humane society, or a veterinarian.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/18/2012 2:34:49 PM
Oh, I hear it all the time...I have 6, all rescues. Are you a hoarder, does ur house smell, bla bla bla...

As far as the woman who willed to her cats, she was correct, they will be provided for after she dies.

Every night @ 6 PM, Pets on Death Row on FB, a strictly volunteer operation for NYC posts the E-list for the next day (kill list) there are also pix & bios w/ each cat, why they were brought to the shelter. Many are taken when their owner dies or is hospitalized & family refuses to step up. People then see the cats & contact the local rescues who can pull one from going to the gas chamber...they even deliver @ no charge w/i a 2 hour radius of NYC. Most towns have kill shelters & do the same, some like my town r lucky enuf to have a no-kill shelter, where my son & I volunteer weekly. I enjoy it alot & have fostered a very shy cat, and would love to do it again...

I HOPE ALL OF THE ILL FOLKS GET BETTER THEN SEE WHAT THEIR FAMILY DID & CUTS THEM OUT OF THEIR WILL.

If I did save the dolphins, or was out on a greenpeace ship, people would think I was cool. But cuz it's cats...
Mine are very well trained & affectionate. They were there through the good & bad. My previous ones pretty much the same. Love an animal & u will have loyalty for a lifetime.

TNR (trap, neuter & return)is a great way to get involved if you have the time & some $ or can find a vet who does it gratis. And remember, spay & neuter ur pet, adopt at your local shelter & DO NOT SUPPORT PUPPY MILLS & ILLEGAL BREEDERS!

In nature, there is a reason for each species. It has been suggested if the feral cat population was reduced or eliminated in certain areas, rodent population would be out of control & then a plague would come into play...I'd rather have feral cats than a deadly plague...

And by the way, our current Pope, Pope Benedict is a crazy cat lover too!
 Lionesse19
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/18/2012 11:21:12 PM
They say that women who have many cats are displaying symptoms of mental illness. Not one or two.We only really need one or two for companionship after all. No one ever has dozens of dogs in the same way. Not that I hear of.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/18/2012 11:47:05 PM
Cats are great companion animals if you keep it to one or two, spay/neuter, vaccinate, declaw and keep them indoors. Give them a sunny windowsill, an auto feeder/waterer, a catnip mouse, and change the litter box once a week and they are happy. I have one and she is a joy to come home to. Just like a dog, she meets me at the door, she will sit up and beg for treats, plays fetch, and sleeps at the foot of my bed...but without the barking, messy toileting, doggie daycare expense or 4 am walks in the winter. My roommate and my beau, both macho guys, go all mush around her and they spoil her rotten with toys and treats. And as an empty nester, it is great not worrying that she will have an accident on the rug or chew uo the furniture while I am at work or away for the weekend.

TheReason_
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:12:40 AM
I personally love cats and dogs. I'm too busy in my lifestyle to provide either the life they deserve, so at the moment I have neither.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:35:23 AM
I dated this guy one time..he had cats..he let his cats walk all over the counter when he was cooking , the table when he was eating..of course I ended it with him..I dont date dirty men..
 rearguard*2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 4:59:12 AM
What has this thread got to do with dating or the over 45 life stage? I can't believe it has not been deleted..........
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:05:22 PM
"They may find the human need for affection is met most easily through a relationship with a pet."

It is. Humans are complex creatures...just read all the threads in here...doesn't take a PHD to figure that out.
OMG I caught my cat Chewy texting another human...that's it no more meow mix 4 u!
 SnowMoon2012
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/19/2012 4:51:51 PM
I have one indoor cat taken in when his elderly owner had to go into long term care suddenly... it was me or the shelter... he has brought so much joy and life into my home...

I have a cat hoarder in the neighborhood so countless litters have been born ... the neighbors are up in arms yet do nothing but **** about it... in the last two years I have caught with the help of a sympathetic neighbor 25 adults and kittens all have been spay/neutered received inoculations the adults released and the kittens adopted... This is something I believe in and spend time doing it is in no way who I am... Yet the crazy cat lady label is mine... I would call it responsible not crazy...

I was at a picnic Memorial Day in attendance were 7 dogs oh excuse me "Breeds" they were brought with more paraphernalia then a new born child showed of with as much pride... yet I'm crazy! At least my pet and I are capable of being separated for the afternoon.. cat discrimination is alive and well...

Look up TNR it is the only humane and effective answer to the problem...
 Paderic
Msg: 12
Delete this thread
Posted: 6/19/2012 7:34:25 PM

As this thread has nothing todo with being over 45...

Nor does it have anything to do with discrimination.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:37:27 PM
If people allow their cats (or other animals) to eat from the same spoon or dish, would that not be an issue with the PERSON?????? How does that make the animal a problem?
 Walts
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/20/2012 5:08:55 AM
I collect fishing rods,reels and flies. They don't make any noise in the house, don't eat anything,don't shiat or piss anywhere, yet give me great satisfaction when required. And yeah,I'm nuttier than a three dollar bill. Now, imagine collecting and saving live animals for a "hobby".
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/20/2012 8:31:48 PM
I find it interesting that in these forums, men have hatefully resorted to telling women, "You'll grow old alone with your cats and die."

Well, its better than growing old with an idiot human for a partner.

I have three cats and no man has ever refused to date me because of them, not even the guy who was allergic to cats, but I broke that off before it could get started--for reasons other than the allergies.

My present boyfriend loves my cats, and my neutered male (the cat, not the boyfriend) who is scared of EVERYONE loved him on sight. To me, it said something about the boyfriend's character.

IF I could find a good home for one of my cats, she would move out, but I won't take her to a shelter. I never wanted three cats, but two are rescued kitties.

However, cat hoarding is another matter: people who have a multitude of cats, or dogs, or horse, or rats, have an emotional problem. My mother had 30 or 40 cats at one time, and she never had them spayed or castrated. She couldn't understand why they "choose" her to come to. My sister and I explained that it was because she left food on the porch, but she thought she was special.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/21/2012 1:20:52 PM

I find it interesting that in these forums, men have hatefully resorted to telling women, "You'll grow old alone with your cats and die."

Well, its better than growing old with an idiot human for a partner.

I recently posted pix of all 6 of my cats in my home, which is clean (most of the time) & neat (most of the time)...someone can have one pet & be a slob, someone can have more pets & be neat & clean...I had a friend tell me in the past she was afraid I was gonna be a hoarder, then told me about her dog peeing all over her furniture...

Yep, Gwen is right: "Well, its better than growing old with an idiot human for a partner."
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:13:49 AM
Yep....I'd rather grow old with an animal companion than a human, male jackass!
 SnowMoon2012
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/22/2012 4:33:10 PM
LOL , now ladies we are all animal lovers lets not insult the jackass... :)
 OPnutters
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/24/2012 10:47:44 PM
The number of cats a single woman has will determine the amount of a time in which she will remain single. Don't believe me? Give it time. You'll see.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:34:53 AM

The number of cats a single woman has will determine the amount of a time in which she will remain single. Don't believe me? Give it time. You'll see

I have 6 cats. Yesterday, my beau picked me up @4 PM & took me out to a lovely early dinner at a really nice restaurant in Tarrytown, NY. Then we got coffee @ a coffee shop & went to see Three Dog Night @ Tarrytown Music Hall.
I HAVE 6 CATS.
I could list all the concerts & venues we've been to, diners & gifts, but that would be bragging (if I am not doing it already)
I HAVE 6 CATS
When i had surgery, he took a week off to help...
I HAVE 6 CATS

The number of cats a single woman has will determine the amount of a time in which she will remain single. Don't believe me? Give it time. You'll see

ahem...
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 5:00:29 PM
I couldn't agree with you more, Janet.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:57:39 PM

The number of cats a single woman has will determine the amount of a time in which she will remain single. Don't believe me? Give it time. You'll see.

Where's the science?
Oh, of course. There is none.
 stellavixen
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/26/2012 10:22:27 AM
I don't date snake and spider owners.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/26/2012 1:39:32 PM
OMG! Years ago I dated a younger guy who had a pet snake...he even let me hold his snake...I was icked out that he had to go to the pet shop to buy "food" for the snake...little feeder mice...we did not date long anyway...just long enuf for me to decide that I did not like his "snake"!
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/26/2012 2:32:34 PM

I grabbed the BB gun out of his hands, shot him with it and smashed it to pieces.

Be honest. That happened last week. Right?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > DISCRIMINATION AGAINST FELINES/FELINE OWNERS