Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Forums are grabbing my attention more than the profiles, OH NO!! lol      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 becknboys
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Forums are grabbing my attention more than the profiles, OH NO!! lolPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Is this a bad sign? lol The last couple of days I've enjoyed reading and participating in some of the forums, more than I have in the dating/profile section! It's entertaining, engaging, thought provoking, cathartic etc.!! I saw one gal who feels this way and is actually ONLY here for the forums. However, I think engaging in the forums more than the profiles is "ok"..kind of a little break while keeping my foot in the door? Any others feel similarly? Oh..and i gotta laugh at the title "self pity threads" that in itself invokes a negative vibe, lol I like the sound of "Debbie Downer thread" or "Bummer Bob"..kinda lightens up the mood there, don't you think? I imagine someone will want to delete mine for "redundant questions and or...no point/chat thread. Let's have fun people n not be soo serious and harsh on each other, ok? :-)
 Miss W
Msg: 2
Forums are grabbing my attention more than the profiles, OH NO!! lol
Posted: 6/19/2012 7:50:29 AM
LOL! You are preaching to the choir. No, you are not alone. Some of us would be long gone if it were not for the forums.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/19/2012 7:51:00 AM
OH NO! That is how it begins!

Another POFFA perpetual Forumite in the making, unless you limit the time spent in these Forums you may be assimilated!
Resistance is Futile...
 Pinky127
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/19/2012 7:51:38 AM
Op,there are HEAPS of people who are here just for the Forums coz they're a hoot

Take a look at this Thread as this Topic has been covered a lot....
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15233151.aspx
 Wonder5750
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 7:52:48 AM
lol I got a thread deleted for asking folks what love is. lol

I like it here too. There are some awesome folks on this forum. Engaging personalities.. and just enough friction to make it kind of fun. (hmmm that doesn't sound right lol)
 c_deacon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:01:38 AM
Well OP.....All you need to do is scan down the responses to your thread and you will see that many of us have been on here for years and years and years, and if it were just for the dating, we would be in a rubber room by this time.....:)

I use this site and the forums as a social network and keep it in the background of my computer while working many times. I stay in touch with friends that I have met on here, submit my thoughts on certain subjects, and make a comment or two. I am not here to find my soul mate, nor to see who will want me enough to marry me, but I am here to enjoy others and hopefully find a few that I can connect more with on many different levels.

Good luck and keep this thread around for you to revisit in about five years.....lmao

cd
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:15:54 AM
I discovered the forums not long ago and they are a lot of fun. There are a lot of smart, funny women my age those advice and comments have helped me to realize that some dating problems and faux pas are universal and some men who live too far away to consider as a match but whose comments give me hope that there are a few good guys left out there. And then there are the others who make me laugh or shake my head in disbelief....either way, the forums are the best part of being a POF'er.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:16:43 AM
I was on a paid dating site when I accidentally discovered POF forums after doing a Google search. I read the forums for about three months before even joining POF. I find they are the BEST way to get to know the ins and outs of a person's personality, as long as you trust they are being truthful. The downside is that such a small percentage of POF use the forums that the likelihood of a forumnite being local is remote for someone living in a rural area such as myself.

Being anonymous allows posters to be much more forthright then they might otherwise be. In most cases, that's beneficial, IMO. Of course there are always going to be those who contribute nothing of substance, but they are easily ignored. Those posters who have keen insight, are logical, and show compassion and empathy toward others keep me coming back,
 tbicon
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:17:17 AM
I been with the same woman since 1986 and still have teenage children at home, so I am obviously here for the forums only, for what it is worth. I enjoy these forums. I have spet time in political arenas, and most of my time on investing/stock message boards, but this is different. Human tribulation at its best the way I see it. I have even made a few friends here and there, and some non-friends no doubt.
 pfif
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:26:50 AM
The forums are what let me gain enough context to that other thing to know what to put in the profile on that side. And have some fun with itt.

Also, the forums are full of unusually aware folks, which means somebody did something right, and probably a while back (I'll bet moderation or hosting played a role in that).
 becknboys
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:27:02 AM
I think that as humans..we love that "warm fuzzy" feeling we get as being part of an inviting, accepting, supportive community. I definitely am getting that feeling here in this one. :-) I hope that's what other's are feeling too. I realize there's the occasional hostile subject but as someone said..it's just enough friction to keep it interesting! Well said whoever said that! hehe I guess in this day and age of sitting behind a desk most of the day, makes sense to enjoy the comraderie of other's online. Being in the "over 45" crowd I think takes a little more getting used to than the facebook generation, lol. Mr. c d...gotta love your enthusiasm of the forums..but honestly hope that i won't be looking back at these posts five years from now! lol..hugs...
 MsMicki
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 8:28:10 AM
Count me in the "only here for the forums" group!!

It's kind of like The Hotel California......you can never leave!!
 flaneur001
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:39:29 AM
Hi Becks,

You're right, the Forum is far more interesting than th profiles! I first discovered the Forum last Jan. while away on vacation and it made very good reading. Being new to dating - after a long hiatus - I was feeling a bit lost. The forum is extremely helpful in my navigating this elusive dating vortex. I think the threads/posts have given me more clarity and confidence - that's a good thing. It's also opened up a whole new window to ideas and perspectives I wouldn't normally come across - that is always a good thing. A real slice of life - the good and the genuinely odd. Do you remember the wine enema thread - that has to be one of my favs!

My only regret is that we don't live in the same town. It would be fun to all meet in person. I've met one forumite when I was working in his city. It was really nice to make the connection from on-line to in person. He's far more interesting in person (and he's definately an iconoclast on-line) - which I was a delightedl to discover!
 freespiritxoxx
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:02:17 AM
..... reading the forums when I first started dating about 4 yrs ago gave me a lot of insight and laughter.. liked the forums so much made a profile just so I can particapate....
 natgoat227
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:24:16 AM
Prime Example #1....*
I browse the Forums to _Accessorize_ the 'Search-mode'...!!
Even if just to make a new Friend...it's nice to compare notes and support / debate topics.
*...The OP probably would never appear on one of my searches...
But...OOooOOoooo...What a DOLL..!!!
~Time for a N-O-A...!!~
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:33:02 AM
Count me in as another Forumaholic. Checking in on the forums is a bit like people watching at the bar or in a public place with the convenience of not having to do any personal grooming - it would be a whole lot different if we had to be on web cam in order to be here.
 Smarts and Heart
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:36:53 AM
That's it, I always suspected that it was a contagious virus! You're now a Forumite!

No it's not a bad sign! Lol.

I think these Forums provide a form of insight and venting for many, that's cathartic, therapeutic and healthy. You get to read the thoughts and feelings of many more people than you ever would in real life. It's a 'connection' ; the anonymity of the screen allows many to put thoughts, feelings and views in writing that they may never have put a voice to in real life. It's a 'connection' which allows one to feel that they aren't totally alone. The points of view of some can be shocking, entertaining and sometimes down right ridiculous, but that's what real people are.

The Forums provided a huge window into the dating world for me, when I came out of a 31 year relationship. I had been in a time bubble; met my ex at 18, married at 20 and separated at 49. I was totally clueless as to what was out there. It shocked me but it also mellowed me as I was able to look at other's perspective views and thoughts, and realized that we aren't always as unique as we think. There are many commonalities amongst us. The struggles of many are our own struggles as well, in various degrees.

I'm one of the ones, "profile is hidden" and" here for the Forums only" ,after over 3 years.

Met my partner on POF almost 20 months ago. (yes it can work, :) , but I still pop in to see how the "cyber family" is doing, and add my 2 cents worth. occasionally. :)
 becknboys
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:56:14 AM
Smarts and heart. It feels so good to hear there are successful pairings out there from here!! Congrats to you!! I agree with everything you said, and I too came out of a similar situation. Thanks for sharing your .02 :-) cheers!
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/19/2012 11:34:42 AM

Is this a bad sign?................ I saw one gal who feels this way and is actually ONLY here for the forums.

It does seem strangely odd that in a so-called "community" of 40 million members, that most people cannot find at least one other person thay would like to actually date and get to know, especially women, since they are the ones not replying to men's messages most of the time.
 natgoat227
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:21:14 PM
Darn, 'beck...'...I wish I could write you...
(The age and distance parameters.......[again]....~scuffs the floor!~...)
Oh, well....One foot in front of the other..!!

My Admirations!

##***
 natgoat227
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 12:38:20 PM
I can only *Tweak* my profile So Much....till it starts becoming long and dull...(But still informative!)
And Others profiles are generally too short and/or dull/same-'ol-same-'ol...
The Forums give a much more varied array of opinions and attitudes that give a clearer view of the Individual!
Thanx, OP...you DOLL, you...!!
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:00:23 PM
yes, the forums can be very exciting at times, when there is a heated debate, but just as we r getting into it...poof thee thread disappears...but that's OK, there's always next time!

Your true initiation begins when you get sent to banned camp, LOL ;o)
 BurtonGusterJr
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:03:56 PM

Your true initiation begins when you get sent to banned camp, LOL ;o)

Doesn't take much to get there though
 becknboys
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:35:15 PM
Banned camp??! Oh my! What exactly is banned camp? Do they stick me an empty chat room and make me type "i will not break the POF thread rules" over and over until it's all one big blurr?
 vanityfair55
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:53:40 PM
I agree "great entertainment"!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Forums are grabbing my attention more than the profiles, OH NO!! lol